[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Im more sold on petro everytime I think about it
Author Thread
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/27/2005  11:52 PM
I would love it if we traded the late 1st rd picks for a mid 1st round pick and walked away with Green or McCants + Petro or another one of these centers! I would be at the garden steps the morning after getting seaon tix!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/27/2005 23:58:28]
AUTOADVERT
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/27/2005  11:59 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:

Thankyou TKF, I've been saying this about Shelden FOREVER. This guy has no business of even sniffing the lottery. I think the guy is a pretty good defensive player but he doesn't have the athleticism that you need to have at 6'9 to be the shotblocker in the NBA like he does in college. I see Sheldens defensive game being VERY similiar to Kurt Thomas's in the NBA and his offensive game isn't nearly as good. I'd take him nowhere before pick 25.

Shelden can jump. Kurt can't. Guess who is a better shot blocker and rebounder?

Guess who led the NCAA in college in both scoring AND rebounding and averaged 2.5 blocks a game in his senior year. Give up yet?
Kurt Thomas.

Shelden and Kurt have very similar builds and athleticism and it didnt translate for Kurt in the NBA and it won't translate for Shelden either.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  12:05 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:

Thankyou TKF, I've been saying this about Shelden FOREVER. This guy has no business of even sniffing the lottery. I think the guy is a pretty good defensive player but he doesn't have the athleticism that you need to have at 6'9 to be the shotblocker in the NBA like he does in college. I see Sheldens defensive game being VERY similiar to Kurt Thomas's in the NBA and his offensive game isn't nearly as good. I'd take him nowhere before pick 25.

Guess who led the NCAA in college in both scoring AND rebounding and averaged 2.5 blocks a game in his senior year. Give up yet?
Kurt Thomas.

Shelden and Kurt have very similar builds and athleticism and it didnt translate for Kurt in the NBA and it won't translate for Shelden either.

i agree at the very best and this is still very far-fetched imo I would compare him to Dale Davis and that still doesn't warrant him being a top 15-20 pick.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/28/2005  12:06 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:

Kurt Thomas.

Yeah, I think we'd all love to have that Kurt instead of the Kurt who is in his early thirties and had three ankle operations which robbed him of his lift.

If we're comparing Kurt now to Shelden now, Shelden can jump and hasn't had any major injuries. Kurt can't and had a major injury that took a LOOONG time to heal. How do you think we got him for so cheap?
¿ △ ?
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/28/2005  12:12 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:

Kurt Thomas.

Yeah, I think we'd all love to have that Kurt instead of the Kurt who is in his early thirties and had three ankle operations which robbed him of his lift.

If we're comparing Kurt now to Shelden now, Shelden can jump and hasn't had any major injuries. Kurt can't and had a major injury that took a LOOONG time to heal. How do you think we got him for so cheap?

I know we're not going to agree cause I've had this argument many times before with Briggs, I've watched Shelden MANY, MANY, MANY times and I have not once been impressed by him. I just don't think his style is going to translate into the NBA and his offensive game is downright scary and not in a good way. I wouldn't touch him, I think Channing Frye improved his stock so much that he'll be selected before Shelden now and Frye won't be be picked till about 18-22 so take with what I say however you want.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/28/2005  12:14 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:

I know we're not going to agree cause I've had this argument many times before with Briggs, I've watched Shelden MANY, MANY, MANY times and I have not once been impressed by him. I just don't think his style is going to translate into the NBA and his offensive game is downright scary and not in a good way. I wouldn't touch him, I think Channing Frye improved his stock so much that he'll be selected before Shelden now and Frye won't be be picked till about 18-22 so take with what I say however you want.

I've just been impressed by his shotblocking and rebounding. I agree that Frye is probably a better prospect, but something about Shelden impresses me. I agree that where the Knicks will be picking is probably too high to take either guy.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  1:08 AM
Sean May is better than both players. Sean May reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph. He has the same type of agility in his hands and feet, he may be a little taller than Zach, he can rebound like Zach, has as many offensive weapons as Zach, plus he can spot up with pure 14 footers when he steps out. It's almost blasthomy to talk about the 4 position, although you can call May a small 5. May is the most under-rated of the bigs, even more so than Simien because he has a couple of inches on Wayne. If the Raptors get May and Felton with their two picks, retain Donyell Marshall+Bonner, you watch what happens to that club.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/28/2005  1:14 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by nyk4ever:

I've just been impressed by his shotblocking and rebounding. I agree that Frye is probably a better prospect, but something about Shelden impresses me. I agree that where the Knicks will be picking is probably too high to take either guy.

Sheldan can be an Oakley type PF. He's got a very powerful sculpted body, that 7-6wingspan, but he does have slow feet. He needs to learn how to spot up, but in the nBA, he's going to be able to use that strength and get into the paint a lot and cause problems. Not a star type, but a guy who would go well with a Garnett. You put Garnett and Williams together, thats some pretty good interior D and rebounding.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  10:20 AM
centers go early in the draft. Petro will be too raw to contribute right away. I don't want to wait on him with impact players like McCants, taft and maybe even Green on the board, but I would love to get him in the mid 1st rd
edsonline
Member: #735
3/28/2005  11:21 AM
I've mentioned trading Sweetney and Ariza, but don't take that the wrong way. I think they are both damn good prospects but if they can be packaged in trades to get guys in their 20's who are already playing at an All-Star level, like Artest and Randolph as I suggested, then I am for it. If the NYK is not getting back an All-Star level player in his 20's then Sweetney and Ariza should not be traded
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  2:33 PM
Mike and the Mad Dog just called Channing Frye a heck of a player. It's pretty much the kiss of death when those two fall in love with a player.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/28/2005  2:41 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Mike and the Mad Dog just called Channing Frye a heck of a player. It's pretty much the kiss of death when those two fall in love with a player.

Haha...yeah that is certainly the kiss of death, as those two continue to set records for being wrong on a multitude of subjects. Honestly before the Arizona-Illinois game I though Channing was a little soft and not agressive. But he really showed something to me when they kept feeding it into him. He played a tremendous all around game and shot a pretty ridiculous percentage. He has the mobility, but the he's kind of a jack of all trades master of none at this point at the C position.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/28/2005  4:19 PM
NBADRAFT.NET Johan Petro Interview 11/29/04 or about 5months ago.
Full interview http://nbadraft.net/petrointerview.asp

Speaking of players from the Antilles what do you think about the players from there having too much of a laid back attitude, most notably in the case of Jerome Moiso (UCLA, Raptors).

JP: People say that players from the Antilles are nonchalant but that is not always the case. All you need to do is to watch Mickaël Pietrus to be convinced. I am often compared to Moiso but we’re not all the same. Moiso is Moiso and I’m just me. I do not believe that we look the same except maybe physically. I don’t have the same attitude.

Do you believe you are aggressive enough to make your mark in the NBA?

JP: I don’t know if I have the necessary aggressiveness. But I do have a certain aggressiveness within me. I need to learn how to express it. At the present moment I still have problems with this. Right know, if I am aggressive, I usually get called for three quick fouls and have to sit on the bench. I need to learn how to channel my aggressiveness and to use it when warranted.

Is this something that you are particularly looking to focus on or are you more concerned on other things?

JP: The other things will come along by more practice time and game experience. But it is true that I need to work on my aggressiveness the most.

Do you model your game on any particular player?

JP: I often watch Duncan, Garnett and O’neal because I want to be a remix of the three. From time to time I compare myself a little bit, I try to evaluate where I stand, to work on what they do well so I can have a few more weapons. I try to be multi-dimensional, to be able to attack the rim with my left hand as well as my right hand, to be able to shoot from the outside.

Is it true that the Denver Nuggets promised that they would draft you 20th in last year’s draft?

JP: Yes, it’s true. I had three guarantees from teams, Denver, Utah, and if I’m not mistaken San Antonio. But I preferred to work on my game here because it would not have been the same over there. I know I made the right choice.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/28/2005  4:29 PM
you hear stull like that and its hard to believe he will fall out of the top 10.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  4:40 PM
"JP: I don’t know if I have the necessary aggressiveness. But I do have a certain aggressiveness within me. I need to learn how to express it. At the present moment I still have problems with this. Right know, if I am aggressive, I usually get called for three quick fouls and have to sit on the bench. I need to learn how to channel my aggressiveness and to use it when warranted."

that statement is all the proof we need to not waste our pick on a player that wont contribute right away if ever. I'd love to take a chance on one these guys but not with a lottery pick we've put up with so much for after this extremely disappointing season. I still like him better than Martynas and Frye if we move up to the mid 1st round.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/28/2005  4:43 PM
Guns i think we're going to end up thinking it's a risk either way. If you go for more of the sure thing and leave a guy with higher potential on the table we're going to end up feeling that's a risk too. It's going to get real exciting the closer we get to the draft, but I can say I'm rooting for Isiah to be more daring than conservative on this.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/28/2005  4:52 PM
Guys remember this interview was 5 months ago.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/28/2005  5:21 PM
if teams wanted him 20th last year and promised him that, where is he going this year? top 15?
MX25
Member: #555
USA
3/28/2005  5:38 PM
If Petro drops down to the knicks and they pass on him i'm pretty sure the Nets will take Petro. I've read acouple articles about Nets scouting him over the last year or so.
gunsnewing
USA
3/28/2005  7:58 PM
Posted by Marv:

Guns i think we're going to end up thinking it's a risk either way. If you go for more of the sure thing and leave a guy with higher potential on the table we're going to end up feeling that's a risk too. It's going to get real exciting the closer we get to the draft, but I can say I'm rooting for Isiah to be more daring than conservative on this.

Let me rephrase that...

by sure thing I mean drafting a potential star like a Gerald Green or Chris Taft not n potentially ok player a couple of years down the road like Petro with our lottery pick. If it was between Yao and Green then I would definitely take Yao. But Petro is not Yao. He's not a lottery pick. No foreign center picked in the lottery other than Yao who was a sure thing have had good first seasons. The last one was Z. Illgaukus and that was 9yrs ago when the foreign players who were drafted were the cream of the crop. Since him the only stars who were taken we not centers. like dirk, pau, peja, ginobili etc

Nene was another but he dominated Duncan in the olympics because he clearly a pyschical specimen and NBA ready. Maybe Petro's game can translate into the NBA but first he's going to have to dominate draft camp the way Nene did before we get all excited. As of right now i think Green, Taft or McCants will have a much bigger impact on the Knicks. If Petro was a clear cut #1 pick like Yao then I would throw him in there.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/28/2005 20:00:19]
Im more sold on petro everytime I think about it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy