Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/27/2005  1:09 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Right now Crawford and Kurt give up more points than they score. Crawford might be average, but Kurt's definitely below average. You can very easily list 15 PFs who are better than he is (which makes him a below average starter in a league of 30 teams): In no particular order, Rasheed Wallace, Antoine Walker, Antoine Jamison, Drew Gooden, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Webber, Pau Gasol, Kenyon Martin, Kevin Garnett, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer, Zach Randolph, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Emeka Okafor. There are many others I'd add, but they'd be more controversial. So, I'll just stop with these 19.

At SG, I'd say the following players are currently better than Jamal (in no particular order). I'm talking about current performance, not upside. Dwayne Wade, Rip Hamilton, Michael Redd, Paul Pierce, Ben Gordon, Larry Hughes, Lebron James, Vince Carter, Manu Ginobili, Ray Allen, Michael Finley, Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, Bobby Simons. Then a lot of other players are on about the same level: Q-Rich, Jalen Rose, Cuttino Mobley, Ricky Davis, Jerry Stackhouse

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/27/2005 09:31:28]

OK Bonn Bonn, I'll give you that 100%, but all I'm saying is that KT and Jamal are solid players, and TT has been playing decently lately. Not real good, but decently. You're acting like Marbury has absolutely nobody, when in fact he is. Just remember, we expected this team to win 45ish games this year. They aren't near that mark. Marbury doesn't get a free pass, b/c his defense is horrific. His offense is fine, but defense and leadership IS NOT. Neither do the rest of the guys. Nobody on the team is untradable, with a record this low. It's just like all the other seasons.
The 45 win predictions were combination of being overly enthusiastic fans (myself included), expecting TT to be the same 16/5 player he was last year, expecting Houston to be able to play more than 20 games, and not expecting the east to be this improved.

Remember, if Kurt is the 20th best PF (you seemed to not disagree with the 19 I listed ahead of him) that means that he's on average getting outplayed by his man 20 out of every 30 games. If the other three starters are below average, they're getting outplayed badly each time too. That's just too much ground for anyone player, be it Marbury or anyone else, to make up, especailly now that the east is more talented than it used to be.

I'd still say Marbury is an average defender, whom people love to criticize because he has the potential to be better and has poor body language. He holds his man to a low FG% and usually is (but not always) is good at keeping his man in front of him. I think he plays as hard on defense as you expect any player who's playing 40+ mpg and carrying the team on offense.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/27/2005  3:20 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Marv:

Uh oh. We're having the AI argument again. Seems to me he had the right role players around him and they all clicked well in their roles that year.
God, TMS just won't let it go I guess!

look, i brought that up to rebutt your comment about no NBA stars being able to lead a team to a playoffs w/o star calibre support players...this is in total context with the point you brought up...

yes Bonn, Deke was still very good back then, but like i said, his production was very similar to that being put up by KT right now...he was a much bigger factor on the defensive side of the ball no question, but considering he joined that team halfway through the season, i think you have to give Allen Iverson his just due, which you obviously refuse to do for some strange reason...the fact is Allen Iverson was the man mostly responsible for bringing those Sixers teams to the playoffs 5 straight years during that stretch...your point about Marbury being excused somehow because he can't bring this Knicks team to a playoff birth with a simple .500 record using the Kobe & KG examples can easily be countered by the Iverson example i put forth...sorry if i can't let the truth go, but when someone states something i disagree with, i choose to state my reasons for doing so.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/27/2005  3:33 PM
anyone who actually thought Houston would play more than 20games this season has a serious case of blind faith. Everyone knew he wasn't going to last an entire season. and if Isiah thought he was then he is a moron. but I don't think Isiah was depending on Houston which is why he went after Crawford and gave him a ridiculously long contract. Now Isiah is just using Houston as an excuse now for this horrendous season!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/27/2005 15:34:57]
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/27/2005  3:36 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

anyone who actually thought Houston would play more than 20games this season has a serious case of blind faith.
There were people that expected him to last more than 20 games. I know cause they came after me for saying that. I wonder if its more like denial than blind faith cause its the same people that say the Knicks would be a great team if Houston was healthy.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
USA
3/27/2005  3:37 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

anyone who actually thought Houston would play more than 20games this season has a serious case of blind faith.
There were people that expected him to last more than 20 games. I know cause they came after me for saying that. I wonder if its more like denial than blind faith cause its the same people that say the Knicks would be a great team if Houston was healthy.

great point!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/27/2005  3:45 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

#1. ouch, silverfuel. you're exactly talking about me.

#2. guns, re: blind faith - please talk about them in the greatest rock n roll band thread.
Silverfuel
USA
3/27/2005  3:50 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

#1. ouch, silverfuel. you're exactly talking about me.
No. Honestly, I didnt even have you in mind. Honestly, I didnt even know you were a Houston guy!
gunsnewing
USA
3/27/2005  3:53 PM
actually the only way we win with Houston is if we have a Center like Ewing to kick it to him out of the post or Marbury driving and kicking. Thats why I think its more blind faith because I think we would be better with the pre-2003 Houston instead of Crawford, but there was no chsnce of the 2005 Houston actually playing more than 20 games this year! Luckily I wasn't holding onto false hope.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/27/2005 16:01:45]
gunsnewing
USA
3/27/2005  3:55 PM
Just look at how many times steph drives and kicks it to crawford and he either bricks it or misses the rim entirely. You gotta figure we'd be a lot more successful with Houston shooting it.
Silverfuel
USA
3/27/2005  3:57 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

You gotta figure we'd be a lot more successful with Houston shooting it.
Oh yea without a doubt! They would be more succesful with Houston shooting it instead of Crawford but is that saying much? Really, is it?
gunsnewing
USA
3/27/2005  4:04 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by gunsnewing:

You gotta figure we'd be a lot more successful with Houston shooting it.
Oh yea without a doubt! They would be more succesful with Houston shooting it instead of Crawford but is that saying much? Really, is it?

we would be a 45 win team but in order to get to that next level of 50wins and championship contender we'd still need a center. And we miss out on one in Shaq because of Allan frickin Houston!

Again let me make it clear to the blind that Houston was never going to play more than 15-20games this year so its a moot point.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/27/2005 17:02:04]
Bonn1997
USA
3/27/2005  4:48 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Marv:

Uh oh. We're having the AI argument again. Seems to me he had the right role players around him and they all clicked well in their roles that year.
God, TMS just won't let it go I guess!

look, i brought that up to rebutt your comment about no NBA stars being able to lead a team to a playoffs w/o star calibre support players...this is in total context with the point you brought up...

yes Bonn, Deke was still very good back then, but like i said, his production was very similar to that being put up by KT right now...he was a much bigger factor on the defensive side of the ball no question, but considering he joined that team halfway through the season, i think you have to give Allen Iverson his just due, which you obviously refuse to do for some strange reason...the fact is Allen Iverson was the man mostly responsible for bringing those Sixers teams to the playoffs 5 straight years during that stretch...your point about Marbury being excused somehow because he can't bring this Knicks team to a playoff birth with a simple .500 record using the Kobe & KG examples can easily be countered by the Iverson example i put forth...sorry if i can't let the truth go, but when someone states something i disagree with, i choose to state my reasons for doing so.
Allright, if you really want to continue this...First, I have said many times that Iverson was "awesome" back then. (He's still awesome now, just not as good as he used to be IMO.) Second, it's sad that you would even compare Mutombo in his prime to Kurt Thomas. Mutombo was a multi- all-star defensive player of the year award winner and a huge force on defense whose presence altered games. Iverson was playing with a top 5 center (probably the most or 2nd most important position). That alone makes that team's supporting cast far better than Marbury's. Let's see how far Ivy can get this year with a 21/11/6 PF. He *should* be able to get extremely far.
TMS
USA
3/27/2005  8:30 PM
Deke was still very good back then, but like i said, his production was very similar to that being put up by KT right now...he was a much bigger factor on the defensive side of the ball no question, but considering he joined that team halfway through the season, i think you have to give Allen Iverson his just due, which you obviously refuse to do for some strange reason.

reading is fundamental Bonn...just what did i say that was untrue in that statement...the stats put up by Mutombo that year were similar to KT's, as i stated, but there was a big difference in the defensive presence, again, as i stated...also, as i stated, Dikembe joined that team halfway through the season...yes, he was a major cog in getting that team to the Finals, but w/o Iverson there that team isn't going anywhere that year...if you don't believe that you're just refusing to face reality.
Let's see how far Ivy can get this year with a 21/11/6 PF. He *should* be able to get extremely far.

compare Iverson's 2001 team to KG's Timberwolves this year...who has a better roster? Does the fact that KG's team is only 3 games over .500 right now & that he can't get his team to the playoffs w/a great supporting cast reflect on KG as a player? according to your logic, KG "should" be able to get his team to the NBA finals this year. sometimes things don't work out the way they look on paper Bonn...i would expect any fan w/even a semi-knowledge of sports in general to realize that.

you brought up the issue of players' greatness being determined by their ability to bring their teams to the playoffs Bonn...you harped over & over on the fact that Allen Iverson wasn't the type of player that could elevate the level of his team's play, yet in the same breath say that Stephon Marbury gets a pass for being unable to lead his own team to the playoffs (depending on this year's outcome)...i'm just telling you there's no defined measuring sticks you can place on that to determine a player's greatness...

it seems to me you hold Iverson to a certain standard & hold all other players as exempt in this topic, which is what i can't understand...why do players like Kobe, KG & Marbury get a pass in your eyes, yet Iverson does not?

[Edited by - TMS on 03/27/2005 20:32:09]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
3/27/2005  9:28 PM
Posted by TMS:
Deke was still very good back then, but like i said, his production was very similar to that being put up by KT right now...he was a much bigger factor on the defensive side of the ball no question, but considering he joined that team halfway through the season, i think you have to give Allen Iverson his just due, which you obviously refuse to do for some strange reason.

reading is fundamental Bonn
That's cute
The rest of the stuff we've already debated endlessly already.
TMS
USA
3/27/2005  10:07 PM
glad u were amused.

btw, coincidentally this same topic was being debated on ESPN Dream Job just now...the question posed was "Who makes their teammates better? Kobe or Iverson?"...Dee Brown agreed w/me.
TMS
USA
3/27/2005  10:09 PM

just address that last one for me Bonn...i still don't know why you say Iverson doesn't make his teammates better yet you don't seem to hold the same opinion on Kevin Garnett even after the very disappointing season his team has had this year (same applies to Kobe & Marbury too but i figure KG is the more extreme example here since he has a great surrounding cast w/him in Minnesota)...if you can clarify that 1 point for me i'd appreciate it.
Bonn1997
USA
3/27/2005  10:12 PM
Posted by TMS:

just address that last one for me Bonn...i still don't know why you say Iverson doesn't make his teammates better
because no one can name players he's made better and defend those choices after I comment on them

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/27/2005 22:13:35]
TMS
USA
3/27/2005  10:56 PM
is that even an answer? other posters have already named players like Aaron McKie, Eric Snow, Andre Iguodala, etc...i don't know if you saw the Sixers vs. Lakers game tonight, but Iverson was throwing alley oop passes to Iggy all night long...but somehow that doesn't equate to making players better in your eyes i guess?...so can you come up with any logical reason why you would differentiate Iverson from KG, Kobe & Marbury? using your criteria you should be just as critical of those other guys for not having their teams in the current playoff picture...in fact, Iverson is the only player out of the 4 whose team is actually in the playoff picture as of today.
Bonn1997
USA
3/28/2005  12:44 AM
Posted by TMS:

is that even an answer? other posters have already named players like Aaron McKie, Eric Snow, Andre Iguodala, etc...i don't know if you saw the Sixers vs. Lakers game tonight, but Iverson was throwing alley oop passes to Iggy all night long...but somehow that doesn't equate to making players better in your eyes i guess?...so can you come up with any logical reason why you would differentiate Iverson from KG, Kobe & Marbury? using your criteria you should be just as critical of those other guys for not having their teams in the current playoff picture...in fact, Iverson is the only player out of the 4 whose team is actually in the playoff picture as of today.
With a 21/11/6 PF and a very talented SF, Iverson *should* be in the playoff picture. He should be able to make it deep in the playoffs. After many years (maybe 3 or 4) of watching Marbury and other players in the playoffs, Ivy will finally get a chance to return to the playoffs. I'm not saying that to compliment Marbury. He still has plenty to prove, but that's a different topic.

In general, I don't think a PG who takes thirty shots a game will elevate his teammates' performance. There just aren't enough possessions per game for him to take that many shots and still elevate his teammates' performance too. The three players whose games you say Iverson has elevated. (BTW, I noticed you didn't mention players like Dalembert and Jackson this time.)

McKie put up similar #s on a better team his first two years than he's put up with Iverson.

Snow is hard to judge because he played all of his years in his prime with Iverson. He put up about 10/6 in his career with Iverson on some good and bad teams. I think he was talented enough in his prime to put up 10/6 on almost any team. He might have scored more points on a team where Iverson didn't take about 30 shots a game.

Igoudala: It's hard to evaluate him too because he hasn't played in the NBA with any other PG. However, he's an extremely talented player averaging 8 pts in 32 minutes. I have trouble believing that on a team with a PG who truly elevated the performance of his teammates and looked to distribute first and score second, he would average fewer points than that. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a large PPG increase if he played with a PG who distributed more--like we saw from Larry Hughes after he left Iverson's team.

This is an old boring debate. I'll answer more questions if you want me to since I'm sure you'd answer mine though.

BTW, I don't dislike Iverson. I think he has gifted skills. I don't see any evidence that he elevates his teammates performances, though, or that he's better than Marbury at this stage in their careers. (He was better about 4 or 5 years ago, though.)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/28/2005 01:05:36]
TMS
USA
3/28/2005  11:03 AM
you still didn't answer my question as to why you differentiate Iverson over KG & Kobe this year when his team is actually in the playoff hunt & those 2 guys are falling out of it on theirs...i won't bother asking again since you obviously don't have a logical answer for me there.

& no, it was other posters who mentioned guys like McKie, Snow & Iguodala on the topic of AI making his teammates better, though i agree with all of those choices...& i already explained to you why Dalembert & Jackson have seen their production & touches go down this year, because they both play the same position on the same team...it's kinda hard to increase your production that you once put up as a fulltime starter when you're splitting minutes w/another guy who's just as talented as you are if not more, wouldn't you agree?

whatever, it's not even that i care that you don't agree with me on this topic...i just found many of your comments about Iverson to be lacking in any concrete basis...you're holding him to a different standard in my eyes.
and there's the END of the 04/05 season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy