[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Michael Ri
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
3/25/2002  5:34 PM
This is from June 26th of 2000, but why isn't anyone talking about this guy and what ever happened to him?

Move over, Big George
North Korean center Michael Ri has finally been cleared by the State Department to come to the U.S. At 7'9" or two inches taller than Gheorge Muresan, Ri (pronounced Ree) has been waiting years to showcase his skills here, but couldn't because of U.S. laws banning trade with North Korea. Ri is said to be 30 years old, about 280 pounds and very raw with a smooth jump shot. In April 1997, he spent eight months training in Ottawa under Jack Donahue, former Canadian national-team coach and onetime high school coach of Lew Alcindor.

''When Michael arrived, he had no conditioning and couldn't use his left hand,'' Donahue was quoted as saying in the Montreal Gazette on June 21. ''Eight months later, he was NBA material. With his great outside touch and foul-shooting skills, he reminds me of Rik Smits.''

Don't look for Ri to make an appearance for at least a few months, however. According to Michael Coyne, the player's Cleveland-based representative, Ri has not played internationally since last summer and will need some time to get in shape.

He's 7-9, 280lbs and can shot? Wow!
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
USA
3/25/2002  5:40 PM
Speaking of tall guys, there's a 7-5 center from Olimija(Czech) named Ivo Hogru. I don't know anything else about him, but he's out there.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/26/2002  4:06 AM
The problem with Ri is that he was Korean and we all know relations between the US and North Korea aren't exactly good so there was always going to be problems to get that visa for Ri. I remember Cleveland being interested in him but gave up cuz it it'd take so long for Ri to be allowed to play in the US.
Knixkik
USA
3/26/2002  4:33 PM
I think New York should inquire about Ri anyways to see where he is at. I doubt he would come over, but look at the potential there. He has more potential than Ming does. I would also like to know when that 7-5 guy, Ivo Hogru is coming if at all. I'm not sure how old he is, but i think he's somewheres around 20.
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/27/2002  1:25 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

I think New York should inquire about Ri anyways to see where he is at. I doubt he would come over, but look at the potential there. He has more potential than Ming does. I would also like to know when that 7-5 guy, Ivo Hogru is coming if at all. I'm not sure how old he is, but i think he's somewheres around 20.

Ri is already 32 years old and I doubt he has as much potential as Ming. Ri would be too injury-prone, he weighs as much as Ming even though he's 4 inches taller than him...
Knixkik
USA
3/27/2002  3:53 PM
Posted by VG:
Posted by Knixkik:

Ri is already 32 years old and I doubt he has as much potential as Ming. Ri would be too injury-prone, he weighs as much as Ming even though he's 4 inches taller than him...
Wow i didn't realize Ri was already 32. That would be tough for him to start playing now then.
Michael Ri

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy