[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: seeking help w/ online music
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/12/2005  6:48 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Classic soul is another thing I've been searching for on the net.

Spree, I have some recommendations - some unbelievably good compliations of classic soul, a lot of it obscure:

Shreveport Southern Soul - The Murco Story

King's Serious Soul - Too Much Pain

Dave Godin's Deep Soul Treasures (Taken From The Vaults) - Volumes 1, 2, 3 and 4.

All available on Amazon.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/12/2005  6:55 PM
[quote]
Posted by Marv:

but my all-time best was seeing Hendrix in '68 with the original Experience.
[/quote

wow... just wow.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
3/12/2005  8:46 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by teslawlo:

limewire pro is a good program (illegal stuff, dunno if the forums are a good place to talk about it)
very very risky to talk about this IMO.

exactly what I was thinking
I mean what are we talking about here?
Helping Osama develop nuclear capabilites?

Limewire is a filesharing program and you can share legal and illeagal files. I would suggest you only share legal ones, anything else is up to you.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
3/12/2005  9:07 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by Marv:

Since this is a music thread, I'd be interested in what you guys listen to. Me I'm a stone blues freak (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Magic Slim, Willie Kent, Albert King, etc.) and classic soul (Otis Clay, OV Wright, Al Green, Ann Peebles, Syl Johnson, Otis Redding, etc.).

You guys (and lady)?

Im a big blues and soul fan myself Marv.I had stuff from most of the people you listed,my CDS were stolen a few years back.At least I have most of them still on cassette.

Im a huge fan of Lightnin Hopkins.Check out "Double Blues" if you get the chance.Also Big Bill Broonzy,check out "Muddy Waters sings Big Bill Broonzy".

Memphis Slim is great.Im also a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan.If you ever want to see him at his peak.Get SRV live at the El Mocambo.He is just plain sick!

Al Green is the man!I still have my original "Still in love with you" cassette in my car.Im also a huge fan of Donny Hathaway.Guy never got the props he deserved.

These days Im listening to Anthony Hamilton,Taleb Kweli,The Roots,Saul Williams,Dave Matthews,Van Morrison,and old Robert Palmer stuff from the 70s (pre-addicted to love),flamenco guitar like Paco de Lucia.70s rock like Led Zep,Floyd,and Yes among others and some classical like Chopin and Segovia.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 03/12/2005 14:05:04]

I love Big BIll Broonzy and the Muddy Tribute album to him is great. Did you ever get into Son House as well?

I love Memphis Slim. He's proabably my second favorite blues pianist (along with Roosevelt Sykes) after Otis Spann.

As far as Stevie Ray, I was fortunate to see him at the old outdoor venue on the pier at around 40th Street. Anyone remenber that place - great venue for a concert. The Fabulous Thunderbirds opened for him.

I agree with you about Donnie Hathaway. Great talent and one troubled dude - didn't he go out a hotel window in Manhattan?

Love your list of others. Remember Sneakin Sally through the Alley?? Ever check out a guy named James Hunter? He's fantastic, and has a couple of songs with Van Morrison.

Love Son House!Used to have a few albums by him as well.You picked my favorite Robert Palmer album."Pressure drop" and "Some people do what they like" are my top 3.Its ashame that people today only know his stuff from the 80s (which I liked)

Now dont laugh Marv,but did you ever see the movie "Crossroads"? Not the one with Britney Spears, but with Ralph Macchio? Joe Seneca was amazing as legendary bluesman Willie Brown and the final showdown with Steve Vai was awesome.It treated the blues with respect and had a great soundtrack by Ry Cooder.

Donnie Hathaway jumped from a Central Park West hotel.Not sure why.If you like his music Id check out Anthony Hamilton 'Comin' from Where I'm From'.He blends old school and new school like very few singers out there today.

I had a chance to see SRV in 88' at the pier but I couldnt get my friends to go(the morons)Still wish I had gone alone.You are a lucky man.

Im seriously jealous as well that you saw Hendrix.Ive seen some of his contemporaries like the Who,The Stones (not too hard these days) Bowie,but the coolest thing I saw was seeing Clapton,Page,and Jeff Beck together playing as the Yardbirds at MSG in the early 80s at a benefit for Ronnie Lane.Id still trade it to see Hendrix and Muddy.

Used to listen to Sly when I was a kid.Too bad he was so F'ed up.He influenced so many of today's musicians like Andre 3000 of Outkast.

Ive heard of James Hunter but never really checked out his stuff.But Ill check him out.Thanks.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/12/2005  9:11 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

I mean what are we talking about here?
Helping Osama develop nuclear capabilites?
I was reffering to fishmike's first post. In the first line he said, " I got a solid 2000 songs (9GB) from the OLD Napster." Saying stuff like that can come back to haunt you.

Also, openly discussing free filesharing alternatives is risky cause RIAA and its wolves are always on the prowl. I never said discussing it was wrong.

[Edited by - SIlverfuel on 03/12/2005 21:11:52]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/13/2005  7:50 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Love Son House!Used to have a few albums by him as well.You picked my favorite Robert Palmer album."Pressure drop" and "Some people do what they like" are my top 3.Its ashame that people today only know his stuff from the 80s (which I liked)

Now dont laugh Marv,but did you ever see the movie "Crossroads"? Not the one with Britney Spears, but with Ralph Macchio? Joe Seneca was amazing as legendary bluesman Willie Brown and the final showdown with Steve Vai was awesome.It treated the blues with respect and had a great soundtrack by Ry Cooder.

Donnie Hathaway jumped from a Central Park West hotel.Not sure why.If you like his music Id check out Anthony Hamilton 'Comin' from Where I'm From'.He blends old school and new school like very few singers out there today.

I had a chance to see SRV in 88' at the pier but I couldnt get my friends to go(the morons)Still wish I had gone alone.You are a lucky man.

Im seriously jealous as well that you saw Hendrix.Ive seen some of his contemporaries like the Who,The Stones (not too hard these days) Bowie,but the coolest thing I saw was seeing Clapton,Page,and Jeff Beck together playing as the Yardbirds at MSG in the early 80s at a benefit for Ronnie Lane.Id still trade it to see Hendrix and Muddy.

Used to listen to Sly when I was a kid.Too bad he was so F'ed up.He influenced so many of today's musicians like Andre 3000 of Outkast.

Ive heard of James Hunter but never really checked out his stuff.But Ill check him out.Thanks.

I never saw Crossroads but I remember hearing about it. I'll have to check it out. Did you see the TV special they made from Clapton's "Crossroads" concert last year? Everyone was great but ZZ Top just stole the show.

The Yardbirds show you're talking about sounds great. Surprised Peter Green didn't show as well. That's too bad you didn't make it to the pier for SRV. Another good video of his is the Live from Autin, Texas one.

I'm totally with you on Sly. i still love to listen to his stuff. Thanks for the tip on Anthony Hamilton, I'll check him out.
OT: seeking help w/ online music

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy