[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: seeking help w/ online music
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/12/2005  11:52 AM
I got a solid 2000 songs (9GB) from the OLD Napster. I dont see any service out there that isnt crap. Its all either .99 a track which is lame or "unlimited downloads" with a subscription. Only problem is you dont own the songs. You borrow them and you have to use their software to load them to your MP3/whatever player. If you burn/rip them you gotta pay the .99

This is BS to me. I tried Kazaa/WinMX type programs but these days P2P isnt what it was. There's more viruses being sent then real music. Its like a cheap whorehouse... your in there 10 minutes and your going to get infected with something. Plus the amount of spyware/addware those programs come bundled with isnt worth putting on your PC

So any suggestions? Right now I'm back to raiding my friend's cars everytime they are over to rip whatever music they have that I dont. Its annoying though...

What (if anything) are people using out there? I dont mind paying if the selection is worth it. 99c isnt a good deal... a couple hundred songs later and you got a nasty bill.

Thanks fellas (and our new lady-poster)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
flex
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #441
3/12/2005  12:09 PM
Yeah, I have the same question. What is the best thing out there? Whether its free or subscription thats cool, but that .99 cents per song is crap, what a joke. Something where you get the most bang for your buck, new releases, and where the songs are yours and don't have to use special software or pay to burn your downloaded music. Where you can burn, listen, and download as you please.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/12/2005  12:29 PM
EDIT - i guess i can't say the actual name but it's kind of like lemon-cord :)

flex, what's your email addy?

[Edited by - djsunyc on 03/12/2005 13:09:43]
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
3/12/2005  12:40 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Thanks fellas (and our new lady-poster)
sorry to go off-topic here but who is the new lady poster??
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
3/12/2005  12:47 PM
limewire pro is a good program (illegal stuff, dunno if the forums are a good place to talk about it), and bit torrent is excellent, I recommend the ABC client.
for legal stuff, napster's subscription service is good. It's like $14.99 a month or something like that and lets u load u ur mp3 with unlimited songs and access, no joke. It's gotten good reviews from places.
http://allknicks.com
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/12/2005  12:50 PM
Posted by teslawlo:

limewire pro is a good program (illegal stuff, dunno if the forums are a good place to talk about it)
very very risky to talk about this IMO.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/12/2005  12:51 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by teslawlo:

limewire pro is a good program (illegal stuff, dunno if the forums are a good place to talk about it)

exactly what I was thinking
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/12/2005  12:56 PM
Since this is a music thread, I'd be interested in what you guys listen to. Me I'm a stone blues freak (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Magic Slim, Willie Kent, Albert King, etc.) and classic soul (Otis Clay, OV Wright, Al Green, Ann Peebles, Syl Johnson, Otis Redding, etc.).

You guys (and lady)?
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/12/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by Marv:

what you guys listen to.
nu-metal, rock and classic rock. foreign stuff from Brazil and India. I am into Japanese rock that comes off anime tracks. Guns got me hooked on guns n' roses in the last 5 years. Aerosmith is my favorite band of all time with Mettalica a close second.

I am not into classic soul and blues so I dont recognize the names but if u got recomendations, I would love to sample them.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/12/2005  1:37 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by teslawlo:

exactly what I was thinking

interesting point. Don't know how to mod this properly, but do keep it legal here all. Thanks.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
3/12/2005  1:56 PM
Posted by Marv:

Since this is a music thread, I'd be interested in what you guys listen to. Me I'm a stone blues freak (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, Magic Slim, Willie Kent, Albert King, etc.) and classic soul (Otis Clay, OV Wright, Al Green, Ann Peebles, Syl Johnson, Otis Redding, etc.).

You guys (and lady)?

Im a big blues and soul fan myself Marv.I had stuff from most of the people you listed,my CDS were stolen a few years back.At least I have most of them still on cassette.

Im a huge fan of Lightnin Hopkins.Check out "Double Blues" if you get the chance.Also Big Bill Broonzy,check out "Muddy Waters sings Big Bill Broonzy".Memphis Slim is great.Im also a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan.If you ever want to see him at his peak.Get SRV live at the El Mocambo.He is just plain sick!

Al Green is the man!I still have my original "Still in love with you" cassette in my car.Im also a huge fan of Donny Hathaway.Guy never got the props he deserved.

These days Im listening to Anthony Hamilton,Taleb Kweli,The Roots,Saul Williams,Dave Matthews,Van Morrison,and old Robert Palmer stuff from the 70s (pre-addicted to love),flamenco guitar like Paco de Lucia.70s rock like Led Zep,Floyd,and Yes among others and some classical like Chopin and Segovia.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 03/12/2005 14:05:04]
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
3/12/2005  1:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I got a solid 2000 songs (9GB) from the OLD Napster. )

I had about 800 myself but my computer died and only backed up a third of them.Boy was I POd.Has any one shared music with Bit Torrent?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/12/2005  2:06 PM
classic rock and some modern too. Some classical, love blues also Marv. Muddy is also one of my favorites. Hendrix especially... still the best I ever heard. My favorite stuff is a lot of his bootleg and studio takes. Led Zepp is also a top 5 for me. Hell, thank you was my wedding song (Led Zep II side B).

Hey, I dont mind illegal. Its only illegal if you use it for copywritted music which I would NEVER do.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/12/2005  2:57 PM
My comp is fried right now because of free downloads....I bar-b-que'd my last computer for the same thing.

There is too many rules for downloading music. If artists put out good music they wouldn't have to worry about the illegal stuff.

I'm really into Talib Kweli, Common, Mos Def, and a slew of underground artists like Immortal technique, Jean Gray, Saigon, Rasco, Planet Asia.....all of the current hip-hop schene. I don't listen to anything on the radio anymore because like I said they don't put out real music anymore.

I spend alot of time trying to think of some of my favorite songs hip-hop songs from back in my day the late 80's early 90's.

I'm also into finding some new music, something I can get into that's modern. Europe is banging out alot of new age hip-hop stuff that's weird but original.

I'm into everything old school. Aerosmith, Metalica, Gunz and Roses, etc.......Classic soul is another thing I've been searching for on the net.

Music used to be about feeling good......it's funny how things have changed and they won't let us enjoy it because of fear the new artists will lose money. Total BS!!!!!!!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/12/2005  2:59 PM
Also the thing with me....if you are a dope artists, best believe your album is sitting in my CD rack. I respect the artists I love and I always go out and support then so they can continue to go out and make the music I love.

I think the real fans of music and art respect this and do the same.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
3/12/2005  4:19 PM
I got Limewire Pro. Its very very good. I paid $30 one time payment then paid an extra $18 one time payment for the pro. You could probably find any song you want on it.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
MinsHeartsReezy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #872
USA
3/12/2005  5:10 PM
This is a little site note:
I just got an Ipod for christmas. I really like the thought of having all my music on one place and not losing everything i downloaded every couple of months cuz my old comp used to crash a lot.
I like ipods but they definately rip you off in a lot of ways. Especially when downloading from other services b/c those tracks aren't compatible with ipod's and will not play. I find it pretty hypocrital how they claim to want to stop music piracy yet take away people's options and force people to buy only their service for 99cents...which like Fish said....builds up. (if your ipod hold 10,000 songs thats $10,000 so obviously you'd want th service that would save you the most money but u cant.)

I found out something the other day which was pretty alarming.
You know how the ipod manual says you have to replace the battery after a few hundred battery charges? Many people get plans where they can send it back to apple to replace their battery. What they find out later is that ALL the songs become erased and you dont even get back YOUR ipod, you get someone else's. And u think...oh well i saved all my songs on my comp...no worries. YET you can only put the songs u purchase from itunes into only one ipod....the one they didn't send back to you. Pretty messed up if u ask me.

So just in case anyone needed to replace their ipod battery...just get a kit off ebay or something and do it yourself. (around $40 i think)
Marv
3/12/2005  6:17 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

what you guys listen to.
nu-metal, rock and classic rock. foreign stuff from Brazil and India. I am into Japanese rock that comes off anime tracks. Guns got me hooked on guns n' roses in the last 5 years. Aerosmith is my favorite band of all time with Mettalica a close second.

Silver, nice eclectic tastes! I really liked Slash and got a big kick out of Axel. Aerosmith is great, the "Walk This Way' video they cut with Run DMC was one of my all-time favorites. If you liked them, did you like the early J Geils Band? Their first 2 albums, "The J Geils Band" and "The Morning After" were incredible.

I am not into classic soul and blues so I dont recognize the names but if u got recomendations, I would love to sample them.

Try Albert King - "King of the Blues Guitar; " Howlin Wolf - "London Sessions;" Muddy Waters - "Live at Mister Kelly's;" BB King - "Live at Cook County Jail;" Magic Slim - "Blue Magic;" Al Green - "Greatest Hits;" James Brown - "Live at the Appollo"; OV Wright - "The Soul of OV Wright;" Sam Cooke - "Live at the Harlem Square."
Marv
3/12/2005  6:34 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by Marv:

You guys (and lady)?

Im a big blues and soul fan myself Marv.I had stuff from most of the people you listed,my CDS were stolen a few years back.At least I have most of them still on cassette.

Im a huge fan of Lightnin Hopkins.Check out "Double Blues" if you get the chance.Also Big Bill Broonzy,check out "Muddy Waters sings Big Bill Broonzy".

Memphis Slim is great.Im also a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan.If you ever want to see him at his peak.Get SRV live at the El Mocambo.He is just plain sick!

Al Green is the man!I still have my original "Still in love with you" cassette in my car.Im also a huge fan of Donny Hathaway.Guy never got the props he deserved.

These days Im listening to Anthony Hamilton,Taleb Kweli,The Roots,Saul Williams,Dave Matthews,Van Morrison,and old Robert Palmer stuff from the 70s (pre-addicted to love),flamenco guitar like Paco de Lucia.70s rock like Led Zep,Floyd,and Yes among others and some classical like Chopin and Segovia.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 03/12/2005 14:05:04]

I love Big BIll Broonzy and the Muddy Tribute album to him is great. Did you ever get into Son House as well?

I love Memphis Slim. He's proabably my second favorite blues pianist (along with Roosevelt Sykes) after Otis Spann.

As far as Stevie Ray, I was fortunate to see him at the old outdoor venue on the pier at around 40th Street. Anyone remenber that place - great venue for a concert. The Fabulous Thunderbirds opened for him.

I agree with you about Donnie Hathaway. Great talent and one troubled dude - didn't he go out a hotel window in Manhattan?

Love your list of others. Remember Sneakin Sally through the Alley?? Ever check out a guy named James Hunter? He's fantastic, and has a couple of songs with Van Morrison.
Marv
3/12/2005  6:40 PM
Posted by fishmike:

classic rock and some modern too. Some classical, love blues also Marv. Muddy is also one of my favorites. Hendrix especially... still the best I ever heard. My favorite stuff is a lot of his bootleg and studio takes. Led Zepp is also a top 5 for me. Hell, thank you was my wedding song (Led Zep II side B).

Hey, I dont mind illegal. Its only illegal if you use it for copywritted music which I would NEVER do.

Fish, Muddy and Hendrix are my 2 all-time favorites. I saw Muddy a lot in the 70's, but my all-time best was seeing Hendrix in '68 with the original Experience. Seeing Cream and Sly and the Family Stone in '69 was pretty cool too.
OT: seeking help w/ online music

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy