If this guy can write for a living....
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
3/11/2005  10:21 PM
...why can't any of us?
He is a first class idiot, not because I disagree, but because of the the stupid analysis and assumptions he makes.
Thomas has built rotten apple in Knicks
G.M. chiefly to blame that N.Y. no playoff contender
COMMENTARY
By Michael Ventre
NBCSports.com contributor
Updated: 4:39 p.m. ET March 9, 2005

Think of Isiah Thomas as the Christo of pro basketball.

He constructed something that attracts attention way out of proportion to its actual worth. Most people don’t know what to make of it. And by the spring it will be quickly forgotten.

But Christo’s The Gates was not judged by wins and losses, so it had that going for it. Isiah isn’t so fortunate. The Knicks won their seventh straight home game Tuesday night, but all that did was raise their record to 26-34, good for 10th in the East. When you reside in the Eastern Conference of the NBA and the best you can muster is 10th place, even the most lenient critic might trash such a creation as the product of a troubled mind.

Isiah came to the Big Apple amid much fanfare, akin to Martha Stewart busting out of the big house. James Dolan, Madison Square Garden’s chairman and CEO, is a suit with no conception of basketball’s finer points, but he learned how to get on the tabloids’ back pages by taking a page from the George Steinbrenner manual:

Keep making high-profile moves, whether they make sense or not. It will create the illusion of leadership.

There is nothing about this current collection of Knicks that suggests the franchise is on the proper course. There is no indication that, two or three years from now, the Knicks will assume their rightful place among the upper crust of Eastern society. On the contrary, this bunch looks more like it will loiter amid the bowels of the Bowery for seasons to come.

Isiah’s centerpiece is Stephon Marbury, who is a great talent but not a great player. There was a time when he and Allen Iverson were potential draftees together. Who would have thought at the time that of the two, Iverson, the bowling alley brawler, would develop a reputation as a player who would sacrifice a limb for the good of his team, while Marbury would be viewed as a franchise-killer?

The blame for the current Knicks’ anemic state does not fall completely on their self-centered point guard. After all, it takes a village to eviscerate a franchise.

But Marbury is a symbol of Isiah’s thinking, which mirrors that of Dolan and reflects the current trend of marketing tripe as a replacement for the institution of sound philosophy.

The Knicks’ brass is selling the sizzle instead of the steak because it burned the steak.

There are two ways to evaluate the Knicks: the team itself as a self-contained entity, and the team in the context of the rest of the NBA.

Isiah made a deal at the trade deadline in which he swapped a perfectly fine center in Nazr Mohammed for forward Malik Rose -- who lost his place in the San Antonio rotation and was only ever a serviceable role player on a club loaded with talent in the first place -- plus two first-round picks. I would applaud the two picks, except they figure to be near the bottom of the first round, and I also have grave doubts about Isiah’s ability to rate talent.

In a separate deal, the Knicks traded Moochie Norris and Vin Baker to Houston for Maurice Taylor. Granted, losing Norris and Baker won’t cause Knicks fans to stage a candlelight vigil. But all you need to know about Taylor is that he was once a Clippers’ castoff.

The Knicks are not endowed with good passers. Marbury proclaimed a few weeks back that he was the best point guard in the game, but he failed to acknowledge that point guards are table-setters, not gluttons. Marbury leads the Knicks in assists at 8.3 per, in scoring at 21 points per game and field-goal attempts at 946. By contrast, Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, who truly is the best point guard in the NBA, is fourth on his team in scoring at 16.2 and fifth in field-goal attempts at 641, but No. 1 in assists at 11.4.

Marbury’s primary instinct is to take care of Marbury, to get his. As long as a team is run by a point guard who thinks shot first, it will never amount to anything.

That’s the problem with the Knicks as a whole – bad casting. Marbury is not cut out to play the point. Kurt Thomas is actually a solid power forward, except he’s playing center now that they shipped Mohammed out, and he’s not big enough to handle the nightly rigors. Mike Sweetney is a career reserve power forward who happens to be in the starting lineup. Tim Thomas is one of the game’s most infamous underachievers, except when he plays at home against the Lakers.

Jamal Crawford is a splendid addition, but somewhere along the way he’ll succumb to the NBA disease that strikes those among the league’s entitled when they fail to get the looks and touches they feel they deserve. He had that problem in Chicago, and New York is a much larger gymnasium for the ego.

In the context of the rest of the East, at least six teams – Detroit, Miami, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago and Indiana – figure to occupy spots among the eight playoff contestants for the next few years. The Nets also should be much improved, at least next season with Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson back. That would leave one playoff spot open for the rest. There are no signs the Knicks belong in that mix.

Isiah and Dolan have other considerations besides winning, which is why they won’t win anything anytime soon. Cable viewership is almost more important than a club’s place in the standings, at least in New York. That’s why the Mets went on a madcap offseason spending spree to lasso Carlos Beltran and Pedro Martinez. That’s why the Knicks will continue to construct a team loaded with names rather than players, and make fruitless runs at people such as Phil Jackson and Larry Brown to coach.

The Knicks are capped out through 2008. They have a player with a bum knee, Allan Houston, who is owed $57 million over the next three years and has refused overtures to retire. And they’re doing worse than they did last season, when they garnered the No. 7 spot in the playoffs and got stomped by the Nets in the first round.

At least Christo knew when to pack up his Gates and leave town.
Michael Ventre writes regularly for NBCSports.com and is a freelance writer based in Los Angeles.

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 03/11/2005 22:21:44]
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
3/11/2005  10:48 PM
Well he obviously wants to be special, because he's using too many big words. AND

"I would applaud the two picks, except they figure to be near the bottom of the first round, and I also have grave doubts about Isiah’s ability to rate talent

What a fool. I guess he's gotten lucky on everything so far, right?

"Mike Sweetney is a career reserve power forward who happens to be in the starting lineup."

Yes, his whole future career his automatically for the BENCH

"But all you need to know about Taylor is that he was once a Clippers’ castoff."

So he will never get better, ever, so just give up on him right away.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
3/11/2005  10:50 PM
As long as a team is run by a point guard who thinks shot first, it will never amount to anything.
marbury has shown dramatic improvement this season in terms of passing the ball, which is shown by his occasional 3 for 10 shooting nights...
Kurt Thomas is actually a solid power forward, except he’s playing center now that they shipped Mohammed out, and he’s not big enough to handle the nightly rigors.
.... no comment.
Mike Sweetney is a career reserve power forward who happens to be in the starting lineup.
I guess 2 years = NBA career. He just happens to be in the starting lineup? this guy's some free lance writer in LA who's probably a lakers fanboy...
Tim Thomas is one of the game’s most infamous underachievers, except when he plays at home against the Lakers.
oh wait nvm, he's a clippers fan. way to point out the obvious, and that @home vs lakers thing indicates he has been following the game for about 2 weeks, maybe less.
Jamal Crawford is a splendid addition, but somewhere along the way he’ll succumb to the NBA disease that strikes those among the league’s entitled when they fail to get the looks and touches they feel they deserve.
...what? Crawford is getting the looks and touches WHENEVER he wants, has anyone noticed over the past couple of weeks that crawford's scoring is dipping but his APG is increasing?
this is so sad, even non NY writers have something dumb to say
http://allknicks.com
Killa4luv
USA
3/11/2005  10:56 PM
I would applaud the two picks, except they figure to be near the bottom of the first round, and I also have grave doubts about Isiah’s ability to rate talent.
Damon Stoudamire -co-rookie of the year
Tracy Mcgrady - Top 10 talent in the league
Marcus Camby -very good player, would start on most teams in the league.
Trevor Ariza- second round pick who is a jewel.
I mean could someone name me many GM's who have picked this well at different spots in the draft? And am I missing any players that he drafted?
I should have stopped reading this stupid article after this point.
Kurt Thomas is actually a solid power forward, except he’s playing center now that they shipped Mohammed out, and he’s not big enough to handle the nightly rigors.
Kurt Thomas is averaging 14 & 11 since the break, and what exactly are those nightly rigors again?
What he can't stop the unstoppable Ben Wallace,Kwame Brown, Adonal Foyle, Kelvin Cato and Marc jackson's of the world? What is this guy talking about? This isn't the east of 1992. Is this guy high?
Mike Sweetney is a career reserve power forward who happens to be in the starting lineup.
How can he make this statement about a 2nd year player who is playing very well. Sweetney has a bright future ahead of him, teams have lots of trouble stopping him. Has this guy watched any of the games?
Sweets is averaging 9.5 and 7 rebs in 22 mpg since the all-star break. Those are very respectable numbers, especially from a 2nd year player.
Tim Thomas is one of the game’s most infamous underachievers, except when he plays at home against the Lakers.
Tim Thomas is averaging 18.5 ppg in the 7 games since the break, including 25 against the warriors and 27 against the sixers. It isn't just the Lakers. This guy is not watching the games.
Jamal Crawford is a splendid addition, but somewhere along the way he’ll succumb to the NBA disease that strikes those among the league’s entitled when they fail to get the looks and touches they feel they deserve.
Jamal has already demonstrated maturity by making the extra pass and getting his assists up averaging 5.5 dimes since the break. WTF?
among the eight playoff contestants for...next season...There are no signs the Knicks belong in that mix.
The knicks are very much in the fight for that last spot right now, how can he write us off next season?
That’s why the Knicks will continue to construct a team loaded with names rather than players,
What names is he talking about? Like we're the TrailBlazers and we've got so many names on this team.

They should have let me write an article that was an accurate assessment of the knicks and the job Isiah is doing. Why does this guy have a job as a proffesional sports writer and I am unemployed?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/12/2005  8:26 AM
I know you can't do this, but take out the month of January, and I think the knicks would be three or four games over .500- One atrocious month should not be what we judge this team on.

I read this article and my thoughts exactly- the guy is just reaching for straws, pulling stuff out his butt.
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/12/2005  8:27 AM
that's true...while we aren't all isiah lovers, you have to admit, atleast we bring the truth.

GO KNICKS!
all kool aid all the time.
Masterplan
Member: #362
3/12/2005  11:44 AM
In the context of the rest of the East, at least six teams – Detroit, Miami, Washington, Cleveland, Chicago and Indiana – figure to occupy spots among the eight playoff contestants for the next few years. The Nets also should be much improved, at least next season with Jason Kidd, Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson back. That would leave one playoff spot open for the rest. There are no signs the Knicks belong in that mix.

you can't write in 7 teams for the playoffs for years to come. injuries and decisions made and just time can change a lot. i'd be willing to bet those 7 don't all make it next season, let alone years to come. not only doesn't this guy know the knicks, he's a hack who shouldn't be writing about basketball in general.
Masterplan
Member: #362
3/12/2005  11:48 AM
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6739542/

if you were wondering. this guy makes his living b1tching about whatever he wants. not sure it's worth discussing, but if you were curious, this article shows what kind of basketball genius we're dealing with.
Killa4luv
USA
3/12/2005  8:43 PM
IS this guy stealing my ideas?
Nah, he just obviously pays some attention to the games.
Isiah doesn't look like 'dunce' now
Acquisitions Rose, Taylor have helped Knicks surge
The Associated Press
Updated: 12:26 a.m. ET March 12, 2005

NEW YORK - Isiah Thomas looked like a wreck as he wrapped up a contentious news conference on the night of the NBA trading deadline by saying he needed to get some sleep.

The president of the New York Knicks had just been grilled after trading away starting center Nazr Mohammed while taking on two role players, Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor, with hefty long-term contracts.

“Dunce Cap” read the headline the next day on the back page of the New York Daily News.

“Bum Deals — Isiah Blew It with Trades for Retreads,” screamed the back of the city’s other tabloid, the New York Post.

“Definitely caught me off guard,” Thomas said. “I didn’t expect that type of venom.”

Fast forward two weeks, and Thomas is having the last laugh — at least for now — as the Knicks strung together five wins in six games heading into this weekend, putting themselves back into the hunt for a playoff berth while also forcing some second-guessing among those who were so quick to criticize the two trades.

After staying so quiet on the trade front throughout the season that his own staff was predicting an uneventful day on the morning of Feb. 24, Thomas pulled off two deals.

Mohammed was shipped to San Antonio along with third-string point guard Jamison Brewer for forward Malik Rose and two future No. 1 picks. In the other deal, Thomas sent seldom-used backup playmaker Moochie Norris, underused backup center Vin Baker and a future second-round pick to Houston for Maurice Taylor.

The trades added long-term salary commitments to the Knicks’ league-high payroll — a fact every sports outlet in New York immediately seized upon in rendering the snap judgment that Thomas had been fleeced.

“I think people lose sight of the fact that getting good players making $5-6 million — that’s a good thing. Getting players who make $14-16 million and have long-term deals — if they don’t produce, that’s a bad thing,” Thomas said Thursday in a telephone interview. “We found great quality and value in those guys, plus we got two first-round picks.”

Rose and Taylor have given the team a pair of capable low-post scorers to complement the jump-shooting ability of Kurt Thomas, who has moved over to center. The presence of Rose and Taylor also has reduced opponents’ ability to put their best low-post defender on Tim Thomas, allowing the Knicks to create mismatches they’ve exploited.

Tim Thomas, no longer being referred to as “Tiny Tim” by the tabloid headline writers, has averaged 19.2 points a game since the trades after eclipsing 19 points just twice over the team’s first 54 games.

The additions of Rose and Taylor, along with better shot opportunities for Tim Thomas and Kurt Thomas, have helped Stephon Marbury average 10 assists a game since the trades.

And Jamal Crawford, no longer trying to force his offense, has toned down his shot selection while averaging 5.5 assists during the six-game resurgence.

The trades also opened a spot in the starting lineup for power forward Michael Sweetney, another player whose low-post offensive skills eclipse those of Mohammed, who appeared in just two games for San Antonio before aggravating a groin injury he originally had while playing for the Knicks.

“It’s not like we traded Patrick Ewing,” Marbury said, echoing a line Isiah Thomas has been throwing around.

Isiah Thomas said he saved one of the tabloid back pages, though he wouldn’t go so far as to say he’d have it framed and placed on his office wall — something Jeff Van Gundy once did with a back page that incorrectly predicted his imminent firing with a hangman illustration bearing the headline: “Bad Noose for Van Gundy.”

“I played a long time, I’ve been in the business a long time, and I’ve woken up a lot of times to read bad things about me in the newspaper,” Thomas said. “I’ve learned to deal with it because after a while you realize you’re just a part of the show. You can’t take it too seriously or too personally.”

Thomas’ team still will need to sustain its run of success — and transfer some of it to the road, where the Knicks are only 7-22 — in order to make a serious push for the playoffs, but the teams ahead of New York all can be considered vulnerable.

Indiana, which began the weekend holding on to eighth place in the Eastern Conference, has dropped to .500 due in large part to the season-long suspension of Ron Artest and the ankle injury that has sidelined Jamaal Tinsley for all but 40 minutes since the end of January.

Philadelphia lost four of seven games after acquiring Chris Webber from Sacramento, and New Jersey had three consecutive 16-point defeats before managing to defeat the lowly Hornets in overtime Wednesday night.

“It seems like other teams are going down and we keep going up,” Crawford said.

Nobody would have guessed that would be the case — especially the city’s headline writers — just two short weeks ago.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
3/12/2005  9:10 PM
Posted by matt:

Well he obviously wants to be special, because he's using too many big words. AND

"I would applaud the two picks, except they figure to be near the bottom of the first round, and I also have grave doubts about Isiah’s ability to rate talent

What a fool. I guess he's gotten lucky on everything so far, right?

"Mike Sweetney is a career reserve power forward who happens to be in the starting lineup."

Yes, his whole future career his automatically for the BENCH

"But all you need to know about Taylor is that he was once a Clippers’ castoff."

So he will never get better, ever, so just give up on him right away.

There have been articles fairly criticizing IT but this is just plain hating.You are right Matt,what you put in bold pretty much says what this guy knows about Isiah.
OldFan
Member: #446
3/13/2005  12:43 AM
Sports writers don't get paid for being right. They get paid for being read. We read the article and it caused us to talk about it - that's what he's paid for. (I'm not commenting on if this is good or bad - it's just the way it is IMHO)
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
3/13/2005  8:22 AM
isnt this guy the brother of chad ford?
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/13/2005  8:25 AM
Posted by MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK:

isnt this guy the brother of chad ford?

Can't be - his article's too short!
If this guy can write for a living....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy