[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah Thomas as GM

Author Poll
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
Now that everyone has weighed in, we may as well throw it to a poll... What are we to make of Isiah in the first 16 months on the job?
Disaster (fishmike)
Genius (misterearl)
View Results

Author Thread
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
3/8/2005  9:20 PM
Posted by misterearl:

No we're not. Just in a hole.

NYK - we're also leading at the half

Quite an accomplishment for this team ain't it?
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/8/2005  10:31 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I laugh at the contradiction some people have when they say they are patient enough to rebuild but they aren't patient enough to give Isiah more than two half seasons, but I do realize that you and Briggs and most other critics want the Knicks to win.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/08/2005 17:25:33]

What contradiction? People would have patience to see the Knicks rebuild but have none when it's obvious that Isiah is just spinning the Knicks wheels and keeping us in mediocrity, at best.

I know logic can be kinda tough to follow when you're trying to spin Isiah's spin to the rest of us but try to keep up.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
islesfan
3/8/2005  10:36 PM
Posted by misterearl:

No we're not. Just in a hole.

NYK - we're also leading at the half

Way under .500, another season down the drain and by February we were looking forward to the June draft.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up that your only comeback is that we're leading at the half. Oooo, you really got him there.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/9/2005  8:23 AM
we've missed you isles
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/9/2005  12:03 PM
Isiahgets a c- thus far.

Depends on the teams record this year. FUnny thing is, he really didnot have to all that great to get a "B" this year.

Its a thin line between love and hate!
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/9/2005  12:10 PM
wow... Isiah is a disaster winning 10-8

Before the deadline I had very high confidence in Isiah. I thought having those 3 smaller expiring deals to work with would be very solid assets. We could use those contracts to add possibly a nice middle tier player. A guy like Swift maybe, have a good draft and just let Penny and TT walk. We get younger, energize the club with younth and get the payroll down $30mm. Instead we add two guys with long deals that have no real role and give up that potential flexibility.

What you see is what you get in life.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
rojasmas
Member: #639
3/9/2005  8:14 PM
I give Isiah a C. He got Marbury which made sense. It wasn't as big a deal as he thought it was, but still made sense. TT and Nazy for KVH was probably an upgrade for the Knicks. TT played as well as KVH last year and Nazr was better than anyone expected. KVH and TT have both been bad this year due to injuries, horses#it play in general and personal problems. Crawford in my opinion wasn't a good trade because we are stuck with him way too long and he is the same type as Marbury, exciting but no defense and not a great decision maker. The last trade for Malik and Taylor I don't like Taylor but in the end it isn't that big a deal. It isn't my money and we are not getting under the cap anytime soon anyhow. Ariza and Sweetney were good draft picks to boot. He hasn't been that bad.
Lastly and most importantly, Allan Houston's overpaid signing is Layden's mistake and can't go against Isiah. It is a shame Houston didn't get to play at full strength with this group because he might have really helped out Marbury and TT's games. I believe a healthy Houston would have had this team at 45-50 wins the last two years.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
3/11/2005  9:15 AM
rosamas - what grade do you give Herb Williams?

What grade do you give Rod Thorn in New Jersey?
once a knick always a knick
MS
Member: #724
3/11/2005  9:56 AM
Actually it is our money, season ticket holders were forced to spend $10 extra a game, so for my two seat i am paying $820 more a season to watch players that would be in jail if their were no NBA, not giving it their all....

Why because we finished under 500 and embarrassed ourselves in the playoffs....

Isiah gets a C-, but he was in a tough spot we all agree, he had to make the team relevant but he gave up too much in the Marbury deal.....He gave up close to $22 million in expiring deals, Lampe, Vujanic, and picks.....The question is why? The Knicks were not run away winners in the deal it was helping the Suns, it allowed them to tank the season, get a pick and sign two impact free agents.....He took back 25 million in Penny, and 64 million for Steph....So even though we esentially traded a pile of **** when you look at it we really did give up a lot.

The TT deal was terrible, and was compounded by the fact that it became another long term deal with the Rose move......

Isiah is very similiar to layden in the money and talent he brings in.....Isiah's players however are more watchable because they are athletic and play above the rim...........

His handling of situation is a D
His coach choice was a D+
His drafting was an A
His ability to restore interest has been a B
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/11/2005  10:23 AM
Posted by MS:

The TT deal was terrible, and was compounded by the fact that it became another long term deal with the Rose move......

well, in the grand scheme of things, the deal was actually:

sprewell and a #2

for

malik rose and 2 #1's
MS
Member: #724
3/11/2005  10:37 AM
"I like the position that we're in today much better than I did 12 months ago," he said. "When I got here, there was no future, there was no hope," Thomas said. "Now we have a present and a future."

That is why Isiah has no clue, we have no present, and our future keeps getting pushed under the bus

And what stupid ****ing owner gives an unproven GM that failed everyplace he has gone a 7-year deal?
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/11/2005  10:56 AM
because at the end of the 7 years we will be going for our second title in as many years.
all kool aid all the time.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/11/2005  11:11 AM
Posted by MS:

"I like the position that we're in today much better than I did 12 months ago," he said. "When I got here, there was no future, there was no hope," Thomas said. "Now we have a present and a future."

That is why Isiah has no clue, we have no present, and our future keeps getting pushed under the bus

And what stupid ****ing owner gives an unproven GM that failed everyplace he has gone a 7-year deal?

This is a pretty shortsighted post.

Ward, Eisley, Anderson, Spoon, KT, Deke, Othella, Sweets on IR, Houston, FWill, Lampe, Milos Rights, KHV.

Craw, Marbury, JYD, TT, Sweets, Ariza, Houston, KT, Mo, Penny, Rose, Extra first rounders, Sundov, Butler, Jackson.

I think just about 100% of people would want the second group.

Unproven GM? How about Toronto time? Isiah has a clue in the draft, and it's pretty well documented. Dude has proven he has what it takes to win a championship.... twice.

Now, granted, Dolan has proven that he is a dump as a block owner, but you are pretty much wrong in all the other things you have put forth. You expected Isiah to change the old/overpaid roster in 1 freakin year? What would your plan have been up to this point?

The Knicks' future is ham-strung by the Houston deal. It is what it is. You can't get around it. Until then, you upgrade talent up until that year... Isiah did push the bounds by acquiring Rose, but he did get a lot in return. 2 picks in a draft that is supposed to be filled with late talent and a guy who can bring playoff and winners championship experience is invaluable. That's how young guys learn to practice and play D and grow as a team. Intangibles man.

Unreal posting.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/11/2005  11:17 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by MS:

Ward, Eisley, Anderson, Spoon, KT, Deke, Othella, Sweets on IR, Houston, FWill, Lampe, Milos Rights, KHV.

Craw, Marbury, JYD, TT, Sweets, Ariza, Houston, KT, Mo, Penny, Rose, Extra first rounders, Sundov, Butler, Jackson.

Unproven GM? How about Toronto time? Isiah has a clue in the draft, and it's pretty well documented. Dude has proven he has what it takes to win a championship.... twice.

Now, granted, Dolan has proven that he is a dump as a block owner, but you are pretty much wrong in all the other things you have put forth. You expected Isiah to change the old/overpaid roster in 1 freakin year? What would your plan have been up to this point?

The Knicks' future is ham-strung by the Houston deal. It is what it is. You can't get around it. Until then, you upgrade talent up until that year... Isiah did push the bounds by acquiring Rose, but he did get a lot in return. 2 picks in a draft that is supposed to be filled with late talent and a guy who can bring playoff and winners championship experience is invaluable. That's how young guys learn to practice and play D and grow as a team. Intangibles man.

Unreal posting.

great post man especially the part about H20. People don't realize how hamstrung we are because of his $20million dollar contract per year which makes him like the 2nd highest player in the whole frickin league! Every move that is made where we have to take back a bad contract is made on the premise that it expires no later than 2008 unless Isiah is getting a player of the caliber of Marbury back.
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/11/2005  11:20 AM
Martin, thank you for bringing MS down to Earth with the rest of us and using detailed accounts.

He seems to think that Isiah was supposed to have pulled a rabbit out of his hat in 12 months, i suppose

I know how we can settle this, MS take all of your posts to Dolan and see if he fires isiah and hires you.

HAHA

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
islesfan
3/11/2005  11:23 AM

12 months ago the Knicks had large expiring contracts (McDyess), high future #1 draft picks, a $85 payroll and were not even close to being a championship caliber team.

Now the Knicks have large expiring contracts, 2 #1 picks at the very end of the first round, a $105 payroll and are still not even close to being a championship caliber team.

The lengths that this egomaniac will go to make it look like he's doing a great job is scary. But not as scary as the prospect of another 5 years of Isiah. First he said wanted to win right away and that you couldn't rebuild in NY. Now he says it'll take 5 years to rebuild this team and fans are deluding themselves if they thought any differently. What will his excuse be after 7 years? I'll bet everything I have that he's still blaming Layden at that point.
islesfan
3/11/2005  11:25 AM
Posted by martin:
Posted by MS:

Unreal posting.

How do the Knicks have "extra first rounders" when they traded 2 higher #1 picks to the Suns in the Marbury trade?
islesfan
3/11/2005  11:27 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by martin:
Posted by MS:

Unreal posting.

great post man especially the part about H20. People don't realize how hamstrung we are because of his $20million dollar contract per year which makes him like the 2nd highest player in the whole frickin league! Every move that is made where we have to take back a bad contract is made on the premise that it expires no later than 2008 unless Isiah is getting a player of the caliber of Marbury back.

No later than 2008? Doesn't Houston's contract expire before then? Doesn't Rose's or Taylor's contract end after Houston's contract? Be a little consistent.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/11/2005  11:27 AM
How do the Knicks have "extra first rounders" when they traded 2 higher #1 picks to the Suns in the Marbury trade?

because they got stephon marbury. no rookie is going to average 20 & 8 for years unless they are Lebron
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/11/2005  11:38 AM
Understand that we have nothing but perpetrators on this board...A lot more than real fans....They are Nets fans posing as Knickebockers....
The true Knickabocker..........
Isiah Thomas as GM

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy