[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT: Giants aggressive; Plaxico Burress next?
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/7/2005  9:11 AM
The Giants picked up OL Kareem McKenzie and linebacker Antonio Pierce. Two young guys that fill positions the Giants need alot of help in. Nice....

Plaxico Burress? He's coming on monday. Usually when guys come to visit NFL teams in person they sign them. He's 27 and all signs point to he might be more durable than Ike Hilliard(who got cut the other day).

Plaxico Burress would be the #1 reciever on the Giants cuz Amani Toomer is too inconsistant. That would be a nice pick up.

As always the Giants are getting me up for the season early....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/7/2005  11:00 AM
they'll have to cut 1 of the veterans or convince some players to take paycuts to afford Burress AND address the backup QB & kicker positions...maybe cut Shaun Williams since they have Gybril Wilson who was phenomenal in his rookie season? my personal choice would be to get rid of Will "Toast" Allen & draft or sign a FA CB like Fred Smoot.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/7/2005  11:05 AM
They are probably gonna get Williams to take a paycut. They have around 5-6 million cap space and will have more after Williams restrutctures. THey will probably sign Burress, a backup QB like Jim Miller (or Jay Fiedler), Mike Cloud, and TMS if they clear up some more space (by injury settling Rich Seubert, Barry Stokes and TIm Carter), you might get your wish about Smoot and trading Allen.
TMS
USA
3/7/2005  11:12 AM
i hope so dude...i'm so freakin' sick of watching Will Allen get burnt by every WR in the NFL every week! he's about as bad as Elvis Patterson used to be...it's ridiculous.

as for backup QB, i hope they sign Jeff Garcia...i want a more mobile QB who knows the NFC defensive schemes...Fiedler is the wrong choice imho.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/7/2005  11:18 AM
I like the signings. My only complaint so far is that Luke would still be our LT. Hopefully he can get back to his 2003 form. Pierce is a great signing in that we get a very competent MIKE backer and the the fact the we are taking talent away from the Skins. WOW, I can't beleive I just said that. I am still not sure if I like free agency in foosball.

Plaxico? Hmmm. I am an NFC guy and hasn't seen to much of Burress. Is he that good? I thought he was inconsistent. Every time I watch a Steeler game he doesn't stand out. Hines Ward, now that is a WR. I would have liked Muhsin Muhammad or Derrick Mason. Too bad they signed already.

We need a backup to Tiki. Maybe we luck out and get Ronnie Brown in the 2nd round.
TMS
USA
3/7/2005  11:23 AM
yeah dude...Hines Ward is the man...he's the Allen Iverson of the NFL...small but they don't make them any tougher.

as far as Plaxico goes, he comes w/baggage of his own...sort of a toned down version of Randy Moss in that his effort is questioned at times & some people say he's uncoachable, though i'm not sure how true that is...plus, he seems to think he's among the elite WR's in the NFL even though he hasn't really proven much in his career just yet...1 alarming stat on Burress that Paul Pitino brought up this morning on ESPN radio is that in the past 3 seasons, he's only had 2 50+ yard receptions...for a supposed "deep threat", that's not good.

still, he has so much talent & upside that i think you have to sign him if you can afford him & take your chances, especially now w/Ike Hilliard gone.
NYKBocker
USA
3/7/2005  11:44 AM
If that is the case, wouldn't it be smarter to just sign David Patten? or David Givens? Patten is a UFA. He can do a 2nd tour with the Jints. Givens is a RFA, a tougher sign. I would only sign Plaxico if the contract on the 1st year is CAP friendly. We can cut him next year if he doesn't perform.
NYKBocker
USA
3/7/2005  11:46 AM
I meam, Is Plaxico that much better than Tim Carter and/or Jamar Taylor? At least our guys try. He sounds like the Johnny Mitchell of WRs. All talent and potential.
EnySpree

3/7/2005  11:49 AM
Hines Ward is nice but Plaxico is available. The NFL don't really work trades like the NBA.

I think the Giants need to sign him. Plaxico does have a 60 something yarder a few years back and he gets alot of yards per catch which is awesome....I think its 19per.

NYKbocker is right though. He doesn't really stand out but he is a nice talent with great size.

It's just exciting. I've been sick of Ike and Amani for years. Plaxico would change the game for the Giants. I think him and Eli will hit it off well. I forgot about Tim Carter. Eli seemed to like Tim Carter also. Maybe Carter will luck out and play a full season and get major yards.

Will Allen is another one.....the draft should be kind to the Giants. I'm not too familiar with Fred Smoot, but my cousin was telling me abotu him the other day. You guys are saying the same things so he must be worth a look.

[Edited by - enyspree on 03/07/2005 11:53:02]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
VDesai
USA
3/7/2005  12:04 PM
From what I heard Tim Carter could be a goner. They might injury settle him to free up cap space. He just gets hurt too often. I like Jamaar Taylor as the no.3. Burress would be a huge get at WR. 6'5" 230 and got 20 YPC last year and 16 for his career. He's not the Johnny Mitchell of anything...he has produced in the NFL with 2 1000 yard season including a season a couple of years ago where he got 78 catches and 1300+ yards on a team that has Hines Ward as its no.1 reciever. And remember Pittsburgh has also always been a run first, run 2nd and run 3rd kind of team, so that's no small feeat.

Kareem McKenzie is a huge signing. They can move Diehl back to guard where he was so great in his rookie year, and basically upgrade 2 spots (RT and G). He can also play LT in case Luke is not up to snuff again. I think he'll be the LT in a year or two down the line.

Pierce is another great signing. He's a leader and fiery competitor. Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams were calling him the smartest player on the team and one of the smartest players they've ever coached. I think he could be huge for this team.
VDesai
USA
3/7/2005  12:07 PM
Len Pasquarelli on ESPN.com is reporting that Jay Feely (formerly of the Falcons) has come to terms with the Giants to be their new kicker.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2007093
EnySpree

3/7/2005  12:13 PM
Posted by VDesai:

From what I heard Tim Carter could be a goner. They might injury settle him to free up cap space. He just gets hurt too often. I like Jamaar Taylor as the no.3. Burress would be a huge get at WR. 6'5" 230 and got 20 YPC last year and 16 for his career. He's not the Johnny Mitchell of anything...he has produced in the NFL with 2 1000 yard season including a season a couple of years ago where he got 78 catches and 1300+ yards on a team that has Hines Ward as its no.1 reciever. And remember Pittsburgh has also always been a run first, run 2nd and run 3rd kind of team, so that's no small feeat.

Kareem McKenzie is a huge signing. They can move Diehl back to guard where he was so great in his rookie year, and basically upgrade 2 spots (RT and G). He can also play LT in case Luke is not up to snuff again. I think he'll be the LT in a year or two down the line.

Pierce is another great signing. He's a leader and fiery competitor. Joe Gibbs and Gregg Williams were calling him the smartest player on the team and one of the smartest players they've ever coached. I think he could be huge for this team.

So you think Plaxico will be a Giant? I'm all for it. He just makes the Giants different at reciever. I know one thing teams won't contunue to cheat(as far as double teams and "zone" defending)on the wideouts with Plaxico out there...He will beat you.

Thats messed up about Tim Carter. Jamaar is a nice player but Tim Carter has the big play vibe about him.

Kareem McKenzie, and pierce will definately help the lines.
VDesai
USA
3/7/2005  12:16 PM
I heard from a Giants message board that he should be done by 5-7 PM this evening. Apparently the Minnesota papers are saying the Vikings are out of the running, so that leaves the Giants as basically the only suitors. I'd be really surprised if Plax wasn't coming in. They'll probably have big press conference this evening for Plax, Jay Feely and the new backup QB they're gonna sign, probably Jim Miller.
TMS
USA
3/7/2005  12:46 PM
how good is Feely anyway? don't know much about him...does he have 50+ yard range?
VDesai
USA
3/7/2005  1:18 PM
Posted by TMS:

how good is Feely anyway? don't know much about him...does he have 50+ yard range?

He's excellent on kickoffs. 13 touchbacks and a 64 yard average distance on kickoffs is a big upgrade over Christie. Feely was good in his first couple of seasons on long FG's but he's been erratic on FG's 40+. But he's like 28 years old which is pretty young for Kickers, who take a long time to develop a lot of times. Christie was 37 so he's likely due for a loss in FG efficiency soon. Right now FG wise I'd expect Feely to be the same as Christie was last year.
TMS
USA
3/7/2005  1:20 PM
good news...i'm glad they got someone who can kick the ball into the Endzone for once on kickoffs...i was getting sick of watching every team start off games at their own 40 yard line.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/7/2005  2:32 PM
TMS. Smoot signed with the Jets already. So he is off limits.

This draft also seems to be stacked with quality CBs. There was an article about it in ESPN. So trading Will Allen who must have the worst hands in the NFL when it comes to interceptions. How many gimmes did he drop. I would love something like using Allen and our 2nd rder to move up into the first. Or if that Pettigoat and Allen for Orlando pace came true.

If we could get Plexico in a good deal and not overpay for him since his value in the market is low. It would be a very good move. Which allows us to look at other needs with our early 2nd rd pick. He is a upgrade over Hilliard. And if we could find a blocking TE to free up Shockey we could have a strong arsenal.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
VDesai
USA
3/7/2005  2:54 PM
Smoot hasn't signed anywhere yet.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/7/2005  2:56 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

TMS. Smoot signed with the Jets already. So he is off limits.

Um...I haven't heard anything about this. Are you sure?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
3/7/2005  3:08 PM
My bad I was wrong. I could have sworn that I read that the jets signed Smoot.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
OT: Giants aggressive; Plaxico Burress next?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy