Author Thread
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
3/8/2005  9:53 AM
Posted by fishmike:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/863/career
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3184/career

well.. one thing I can see is one guy is clearly a better rebounder, but there is striking similarity here. Looks like the big difference is Mo is paid more

Yeah, I forgot all about Spoon's early career. Still, I think it's pretty clear that at the time NY signed him, he wasn't close to what he used to be. He was coming off a pretty nice season with Cleveland, averaging 11 and 10. But his stats had been down from great to just pretty good for the better portion of a decade, and he was 31. Now he's 35 and still getting fat off of the MLE contract Layden gave him, which expires in the summer of 06.

Clarence Weatherspoon - 31 years old - 6 year commitment
Maurice Taylor - 28 years old - 2 year commitment

Which would you rather have? Are these even comparable, or is one contract/talent/age pairing significantly worse than the other?
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/8/2005  10:06 AM
Posted by newyorknewyork:
---------------------
So the less you give up the more you expect back? That's why we should have had better results from the two trades? I don't get it. Maybe we should have traded Brewer. That would be giving up very little and we could have gotten a huge amount back by that theory.
[/quote]
-------------------
We gave up way less talent then we got back in the Marbury & Crawford trade but took back way more talent. But the WINS(RESULTS) haven't followed. So anyone who is pissed has a legitimate beef. When you trade what we traded for Marbury and Crawford most would expect more of a jump in the win % then what we got. So I could understand why there are people who don't feel everything is peaches and cream.

Me personally I think a shotblocker or 2 and a long distance sharpshooter or 2 would put us over 500.
[/quote]
----------------------
We went from winning in the low .300s to upper .400s. Wins have come as a result of the Marbury trade. When you add Marbury to a team winning 32% of its games, you're not gonna get the team to play consistently above .500. Marbury's a stud, but he's not Shaq or Garnett or Duncan.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/08/2005 10:07:30]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/8/2005  10:11 AM
Tom... your going the wrong way with my beef. Dont focus on Mo Taylor. Everything you guys have said about his is true. Despite his earned rep for being lazy and the fact that he bad on D and doesnt work the boards he IS a good scorer, so he certainly brings something.

My point is we traded (and gave up a pick) for a guy when we already had 4 others at his position. Combine that with the fact that he's got baggage and a BAD contract it makes this deal hard to stomach. He's not as good as KT and I dont see why he should get minutes over Sweetney.

These are the kinds of deals that scare me and wind up setting a franchise back.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OldFan
Member: #446
3/8/2005  10:12 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

you're leaving out the biggest difference of all. The fact that Spoon is a 6'5'' PF at best while Mo Taylor is a legitimate 6'9'' taller than Kurt Thomas

Why is that important if it does not lead to better defense or rebounding. Height is important because it helps you produce - it is not valuable in and of itself. If MO can't take advantage of his height to produce more the spoon then it doesn't matter that he is taller.

(I'm not arguing the merits of the players here at all. Your statement to be just seemed to put the Cart before the horse.)
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/8/2005  10:19 AM
If Mo Taylor can be re-claimed as a servicable NBA player with low post skills, Isiah can trade Sweetney-

prior to acquiring Mo Taylor, if Isiah traded Sweets, he would have had to gotten back a low post option

I see these deals as offering up flexibility-

Before getting Rose & Taylor, would Isiah have been able to trade KT & Sweets both & not gotten a PF back?

TT & Sweets & future pick for- you fill in the blank.

He doesn't need to get a big- he could get Ray Allan and not make the team super small.

tomverve
Member: #878
3/8/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Tom... your going the wrong way with my beef. Dont focus on Mo Taylor. Everything you guys have said about his is true. Despite his earned rep for being lazy and the fact that he bad on D and doesnt work the boards he IS a good scorer, so he certainly brings something.

My point is we traded (and gave up a pick) for a guy when we already had 4 others at his position. Combine that with the fact that he's got baggage and a BAD contract it makes this deal hard to stomach. He's not as good as KT and I dont see why he should get minutes over Sweetney.

These are the kinds of deals that scare me and wind up setting a franchise back.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree completely. These trades comes with caveats, but they're not all bad either. I acknowledge both the good and the bad; I just think the good is better, and the bad is not as bad, as some people seem to think.

So, let's review. 4 PFs (actually, 5 with JYD). Yup, no question about a glut here. But at least two of those 5 are going to have to split time at center, and a couple of them occassionally see time at SF as well. Actually, I think Herb has been doing a great job juggling the lineups. So PT has been distributed in the frontcourt pretty well despite the roster glut.

Can this juggling act last forever? Clearly not. Isiah will need to acquire a bonafide center or two, and trade some of our PFs in the process. Prospects for happening this offseason? High. There will be some pretty good talents at center available in the draft. There are a couple of free agent centers who might be moving in the offseason. Additionally, KT and Sweets will be some of our best trade fodder this offseason, and the team definitely could use some sprucing up via trades anyway. So it's not a given, but I think we can reasonably expect that this roster imbalance is a temporary setback at the tail end of a lost season, as opposed to a longterm Layden-esque millstone. We'll have a much better idea come opening day, 2005.

Now, let's consider Taylor in particular. With the Rose trade, we already had 4 PFs, so why add another one? Isiah could have packed his bags and called it a day. However, the reason adding Taylor is not really all that bad is because he brings something the team has desperately needed all season, low post scoring. I don't mean the random garbage points Nazr would get; I mean, run a play, dump the ball in the post, and have your PF/C score on his man with his back to the basket low post scoring. Of the four PFs, only Sweetney brought that aspect of the game. Sweets is getting better by the game, but it seems pretty clear that he's not yet in Mo T's class. Taylor is just a lot more versatile and wilely at this point in their respective careers. So sure, we add another PF, but in so doing we add our best low post player and probably our second best overall go-to scorer. So there are lots of positives here to weigh against the negatives. People seem to be focusing on the perceived magnitude of all the bad aspects of these trades, as opposed to considering how the positives balance them out. On this team, which has lacked consistent scoring (and low post scoring in particular) all season, Mo T's offense is a pretty considerable positive. Since his strength directly addresses a big team weakness (no, not our biggest, but we clearly have more than one team weakness), I think a pretty good case can be made that his acquisition was justified, despite all the negatives.

Contract wise? Mo T is a bad contract, but not a BAD contract. He's obviously overpaid, but only for 2 seasons. Two seasons is really not that much of a responsibility. He becomes a trade asset after one full season, and otherwise comes off the cap the season after. So this is certainly not a Layden-style bad contract; a Layden-style bad contract lasts between 5 and 7 years and is given to an end-of-the-bench caliber role player. At worst, we are 'stuck' with Mo for 2 seasons, and he gives us valuable low post scoring during that time. Compare that to being stuck with 6 years of a stone handed Shandon, who was untradeable for the span of about half a decade. I understand your concerns that getting Mo and Rose hinder our short term flexibility, but it's still short term, and they can be valuable players in the meantime. Layden's terrors were barrel-bottom talent wise, and hamstrung cap flexibility for ages upon ages.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/8/2005  10:49 AM
i'm loving the healthy debate.

one thing for sure, the knicks are younger and more athletic.

They also have won 10 of their last 12.

I think the thing people are taking umbridge with is the topic title:

Isiah's been a DISASTER.

has he really been a DISASTER? Or are you just being impatient?

BTW...knicks have won 6 of 9 and are a daunting 5 games out...can timmy continue to rise to the occassion.

all kool aid all the time.
fishmike
USA
3/8/2005  11:10 AM
maybe "Isiah has added to the disaster" would have been a better title but I'm ok with the shock value of it because its been one of the better debates in a while. Welcome aboard Tom... you have really added a lot to the forum already. Nice to see some real insight and well thought responses.

I agree with your observation about the frontcourt as a unit. If we can add a bigtime 3 with our lottery pick. A guy like Marvin Williams or Rudy Gay, or trade that pick for someone like Josh Smith AND sign a 7 footer I think we have somethinh moving forward.

Then it really is about coaching because you will have some firepower and a lot of big bodies. If they can work the glass and pass the ball a Seattle like turnaround isnt impossible.

But thats best case, and best case never happens with this franchise. what we need is great planning and we havent had that since Ernie was here. To me Mo Taylor and Rose isnt good planning but I still havent turned in my Knick card.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/8/2005  1:01 PM
great posting fellas, tom I agree with your post, I am willing to see what happens this summer.

fish I do like marvin williams a lot, but a question I have is this, lets say we get williams, who IMO has franchise potential, what do you do with ariza? move him to SG? and if so, what about craw? well I guess those are good problems to have...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/8/2005  1:06 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

i'm loving the healthy debate.

one thing for sure, the knicks are younger and more athletic.

They also have won 10 of their last 12.

I think the thing people are taking umbridge with is the topic title:

Isiah's been a DISASTER.

has he really been a DISASTER? Or are you just being impatient?

BTW...knicks have won 6 of 9 and are a daunting 5 games out...can timmy continue to rise to the occassion.
That's a great post. The nice thing is that with time, we'll get to see who was right.
fishmike
USA
3/8/2005  1:19 PM
Posted by tkf:

great posting fellas, tom I agree with your post, I am willing to see what happens this summer.

fish I do like marvin williams a lot, but a question I have is this, lets say we get williams, who IMO has franchise potential, what do you do with ariza? move him to SG? and if so, what about craw? well I guess those are good problems to have...
Why do we have to do anything with Ariza? He's not ready for starters minutes anyway and you keep him. He can play the 2 or the 3 at any given time on the floor. Maybe if he gets stronger he gets time at the 4 in small line ups like Marion does.

I still see us in the mode of stockpiling talent so I dont care. I would stay away from a PG or a PF but aside from that I'm taking the best player at the 2/3/5 I can get.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/8/2005  1:25 PM
if Crawford is going to be our starting SG for years to come we ae in trouble because of defensive purposes. we need to draft a real SG or a SF who can play SG. Ariza is not ready to become a starting shooting guard. But he comes in next year hitting every shot then I would start himat SG over Crawford in a second. Crawford is a perfect 6th manlike Starks was.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/8/2005  1:52 PM
Starks was the starter for most of his Knicks career until the young Allan Houston came and took over the starters role. He was the 6th man for only his last 2 seasons.

I actually think Jamal Crawford can become a good defender, and at the age of 28, he'll be a much better one than what Marbury is now. But a couple of things. He HAS to bulk up a little. He is so skinny, he gets schooled (No matter how hard he tries) every time a taller player posts up on him. He should learn something from Earl Boykins and just live in the weight room this off season. In fact, I think it's more important than his shot selection, b/c that will come in time. And also, he has to fight through screens much better and play better defense when HIS MAN doesn't have the ball, b/c that's when he gets killed. I think him bulking up will actually help improve this, but it also takes concentration. I actually like Crawford A LOT. Herb seems to have put some shackles on him a little, b/c he's not taking nearly as many shots. Whether it's b/c he doesn't like him, or if it's to control his shot selection is beyond me. But Crawford seems to be playing a lot calmer. Yet now, we are friggin' a million games below .500, so that has probably hurt the team, if anything.

Crawford is one of the few bright spots for the future so far.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
USA
3/8/2005  2:02 PM
exactly Starks was a starter because he could play great defense but he was almost as erratic as crawford offensively. So yeah if Crawford improved his defense we would be fine but thats a huge if. With that body I don't ever see im stopping real SGs like Jrich, ray allen, kobe etc but the least he can do is get his hands up on guys like Redd who don't play inside.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/8/2005  2:17 PM
I actually don't expect Crawford to be like Ray, Jason and Kobe. I think he'll be a nice player who can score and distribute who can eventually be a key piece to a winning team. And I DO expect him to be a better defender, b/c I see him hustling out there, very hard, most of the time. I like that out of him.

Also, one thing about Michael Redd. He's just like Allan Houston and even Ray Allen. He's a mid ranged player. Meaning, IT IS necssesary to have bulk, b/c if you're going to play mid range, it means you are going to be doing post ups, which means you have to body up. That is why Allan became a top 10 scorer 2 years ago. And that is why it is absolutely essential for Crawford to bulk up, or else he will NEVER become a good defender or maybe even very good player. He will never be able to catch up to these stronger guards. These guys are becoming stronger and stronger, and that's what Jamal has to do as well. This off season. Complete dedication to the weight room.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
USA
3/8/2005  2:21 PM
the guy you want Craw to emulate is Larry Hughes, and tonight you will see why. Hughes is the same build, same size, same style of play, combo guard type player, but Hughes has become one of the better defenders in the NBA where earlier in his career he was just bad.
gunsnewing
USA
3/8/2005  2:26 PM
he doesn't have to start posting up. Like you said he needs to work hard on his body and defense just like Larry Hughes has. But i don't want to bank on that because everyone is different. I rather just draft or bring in a real SG and make Crawford the 6th man who gets a ton of minutes at the 1 & 2
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/8/2005  2:35 PM
Tom - your reasoning about the Taylor trade is flawed. Putting together a championship requires efficient management of assets and timing your acquisitions to maximize the window of opportunity. And Mo Taylor will be conspicuously absent when we win our next championship. Why? Because just pilfering these frequently mentioned but short-in-supply bonafide centers from the common stock is a formidable task. In other words, even the most wildly optimistic, kool-aid chugging buffoon knows that we're not winning anything in the next 2 years. A championship is less probable than spotting a clothed 5-year old at the Neverland Ranch.

You vehemently defend the virtues of Mo Taylor's game but, again, who cares if he was obtained only to be jetissoned as a expiring contract? As far as trading chips go, Moochie and Vin's smaller deals actually better complement TT and penny's larger deals. We can simply target more players.

Donating a 2nd round pick to the Rockets isn't an unforgivable blunder, but it remains a questionable business decision. Revenue generated upon Mo's arrival will not offset Mo's yearly jackpot.
Does Mo make us a better team now? Sure. But, getting Mo Taylor at the expense of even a 2nd round pick is, on some level, sacrificing the championship goal for more palatable mediocrity.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
MS
Member: #724
3/8/2005  2:39 PM
Larry Hughes is much more put together than Crawford.

Its too bad that we don't have a little bit more in the bank. I would like to see if maybe would could trade Ariza for Pietrus, if Warrick is availble on the draft board....Pietrus is the youngest player in the NBA and has a great deal of pontential....

I think Warrick may fall into our hands, he would be tremendous for us, to run alongside Marbury, Ariza was an average college player that is athletic, and Warrick is a better rebounder, longer, more athletic and better from the outside, plus he gives us added size....

But this is why I hate the trades we just made, because it stops progression.....Its going to take away from Sweetney's minutes. Right now we need to be show casing everyone....especially TT, Ariza who is losing valuable experience, and KT....the better we do know the worst we do later
fishmike
USA
3/8/2005  2:44 PM
dont worry about Sweetney.. he's a goner. No way he survives this offseason unless Isiah is OK with starting the year with 5 PFs. The other 4 probably arent going anywhere.
sorry, but Isiah's been a disaster

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy