[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

sorry, but Isiah's been a disaster
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/6/2005  6:56 PM
his moves just dont make sense with each other. Why Mo Taylor when you put a premium on expiring deals? It just doesnt make sense.

I had an open mind with Layden until the end, and I still do with Isiah, but some of move fly in the face of reality. Like LAyden he's always got you wondering about the next trade. Getting Marbury was solid, but instead of surrounding him with young athletic guys he gets Mo Taylor, Rose, signs Vin Baker to 2 years $8mm... these moves make ZERO sense from a $$$ standpoint OR a BB standpoint.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
3/6/2005  7:05 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by KNICKSdom:

Let's not pull a "Fire Layden" type of trend on Isiah just yet. How easy it is to forget the Knicks before the Isiah era. That was a very putrid error of a team featuring Howard Eisley as our starting pg and Spree playing out of position at sf. Marbury, Jamal and whoever that is not fat and short is a good start somewhere. Knicks had always had a bloated cap since the Ewing trade fiasco. It really goes way back and I think we are still paying dearly for it even now. I really believe Isiah have a vision for this team to be young and athletic just like the teams he coached in Indiana. Mo Taylor makes me scratch my head but he at least have two years left after this one. The more I think about it, the more I think our window of opportunity should be in three years like Fish stated in another thread. Right now I don't sniff the playoffs but the lottery. I refuse to believe we will make the playoffs this year until I see otherwise. But I will tell you one thing, I like Herb Williams as our coach for next year. He is no Wilkins or Don Chaney. He is from that Knicks era when we used to make the playoffs year after year. I feel like I have been to battle with him before. He should be given a chance to coach the Knicks next year. I like him and it is not his fault he inherited a sinking ship of a team.

I agree with you, but this last caliber of moves--taking on 30mm for questionable players--has to be the last.

What we need is to get some length, athletiscm and skill out of the draft and the MLE over the next 2 years to comliment what is here, we need to build a foundation under the older core.

If we see something like we traded pick 8 + Penny Hardaway for Mike Finley, then you will hear fire isiah chants. He has to keep true to his word, its not about winning per-se, its about setting the future up for better things that are sustainable.
I couldn't agree more. I can't see Isiah taking in more bloated contracts after the last transactions. I just hope he utilizes this year's draft at least to near perfection one way or the other.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
fishmike
USA
3/6/2005  7:06 PM
so let me get this straight.. the GM gathers a bunch of guys who have never been good defenders in the their career and have never played hard on D in their career and now its the coaches fault?

What to know what a great defensive coach would do? Put a slacker on IR and play someone who cares (cough cough MO TAYLOR)
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/6/2005  7:07 PM
Posted by fishmike:

his moves just dont make sense with each other. Why Mo Taylor when you put a premium on expiring deals? It just doesnt make sense.

I had an open mind with Layden until the end, and I still do with Isiah, but some of move fly in the face of reality. Like LAyden he's always got you wondering about the next trade. Getting Marbury was solid, but instead of surrounding him with young athletic guys he gets Mo Taylor, Rose, signs Vin Baker to 2 years $8mm... these moves make ZERO sense from a $$$ standpoint OR a BB standpoint.

when he talks about expiring deals he's talking about TT & Penny not Baker & Moochie.

Briggs I agree if a move like your Finley example is made that problably gets us in the playoffs is made then we know the Knicks are not about winning a championship but from day 1 Isiah said the goal is to win a championship. He's not stupid enough to think that Finley will win you a championship but Layden is.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/6/2005  7:10 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

Why is larry brown a great coach, why is JVG, pop , sloan, daley, phil, why are all these guy's consider great coaches. Simply because they bring the best out of there players, simply because they bring a certain attitude, and demand a certain amount of respect.

It isn't all bout talant alone. Yeah were short, but thats not the only reason we lost against the magic, dude there effort was lacking, the overall defense was horrndous. I mean how much effort and talant does it take to put a hand in someones face.

Knicks can't be expected to win every game. The Knicks just came off a 3 game winning streak against Philly, Indiana and the Lakers. The defense was there in those games.

It's not just about getting a hand in the face. It's about getting in front of players, switching, helping, and keeping an eye on your man and the ball. You don't need a shot-blocker to play good defense.

And about great coaches......all these coaches were all given a chance. Don Nelson is a great coach and he was booted out of NY.
Coaches need players that fit their style of play to sucseed.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
3/6/2005  7:19 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Yea that is true. Ever think Isiah's Cap Guru aka Frank Murphy has a plan with expiring deals looking ahead? It does looks like nonsense but maybe it is an unorthodox method looking into the future?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/6/2005  7:20 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i said it before but the only difference between isiah and layden is that isiah does think the draft is important. layden blantantly threw away draft picks left and right. i think isiah knows the importance. the young guys on the bench when layden was here were frank williams, lampe, and sweetney on IR. since isiah took over, it's crawford (signed for $50 mil - the knicks twisted way of thinking this is a draft pick), ariza, and sweetney off the IR. slight improvement b/c frank WAS starting to play and was starting to contribute before isiah got here.

we needed a GREAT gm to fix this. dolan may be an idiot and have an open checkbook but ultimately it's the GM that acquires tim thomas, nazr, jyd, mo taylor, etc. he gave isiah the keys and he's already put in some nast fender benders.

does isiah have time to get this car out of the mechanic and back on the road - yes, but he needs to hit a HOME F'N RUN this draft and get crazy lucky if he has any shot. otherwise that paint job isiah put on this 87 sentra would be the only thing isiah did...

What is a homerun?

Guys have been saying tank the season and go draft.....Isiah has set us up for the draft and guys still want to fire him.

If Isiah somehow gets KG this off season then Lebron next season without losing Marbs and Craw, will guys be satisfied?

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/6/2005  7:50 PM
I'm shocked Fish. You've said that a GM's plans will take at least 3 years to apply. (At least I think it was you.) You have to give any GM more than 2 half seasons. I would have even given Layden more than 2 half seasons. Just because one move doesn't make sense to you (the Mo Taylor move) doesn't mean that Isiah doesn't have a good plan. He may have a good plan that just isn't readily apparent to fish_mike. He made it pretty clear that he values expiring contracts and thinks Mo Taylor's will be a valuable one in 2 years. I disagreed with that one trade (also his most minor trade of the ones he's made), but I don't think it deviates from his plan. He obtained a player and a contract that according to his plan will be more valuable when the contract is expiring than will the players he gave up.
And of course this season's record has been a disappointment. I don't think anyone will dispute that. That does not imply, though, that you can reach a full decision on Isiah as a GM after two half seasons and also does not mean the team does not have the right assets to improve.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/06/2005 19:52:21]
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/6/2005  10:07 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Just thinking but do you guys think that before he traded for Taylor, Zeke went to Aguirre and asked him if he can make something out of Taylor, And Aguirre said hell yeah, bring him on and I can make him something...?
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
3/6/2005  10:12 PM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by fishmike:

Just thinking but do you guys think that before he traded for Taylor, Zeke went to Aguirre and asked him if he can make something out of Taylor, And Aguirre said hell yeah, bring him on and I can make him something...?
It's possible. He probably felt he could make more out of Taylor than out of either Moochie or Baker or out of a player who he could get in exchange for M & B's expiring contracts last year. I would have preferred to wait until next year to see if we could get someone better than Taylor, though. (He probably wasn't going anywhere.)
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/6/2005  10:12 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by knicks1248:

The biggest blunder IT has done so far is Hire lenny wilkens, then put herb in his place.

Malik Rose say he could hardly understand herb becuase he was speaken so softly in practices, he was so use to havin pop yell at the top of his lungs and demanded certain things from players.

Somebody please explain to me what mild mannered coach has won a championship in the last 20 years. This roster was a lot more balance and talanted in the begining of the season and still we played defense like rookies.

We have enough talant on this team, just not the right guy running it.

You are fooling yourself man. Did you watch the Orlando game? Did you notice our frontcourt players looked like CBB players and wer easily 4-6 inches smaller all over the place? Isiah said he was going to get longer, more athletic and tougher. the only person who fits this criteria is the 42 pick in the draft. TT could be a great player, but sometimes great players just show signs--remember a met named Greg Jefferies?

Or even Kevin McReynolds.
fishmike
USA
3/6/2005  10:51 PM
what are we building here? We already had Malik Rose and Mo Taylor here 2 years ago.

I'm as objective as anyone. Isiah said unorthodox. To me that means overpaying for late #1 picks because we can afford to do so. I bet of the 10 teams that have picks from 20-30 that AT LEAST 3 of them would surrender their #1 for $3mm and a future 2nd rounder. So why take on Malik Rose for 4 years to get two????

When I harp about the payroll its not because I care about the $$$, its because if we load our roster up with MLE contracts and rookie deals we have a better chance to parlay that into a big name player. Nobody wants to trade for one of our 40 PFs making $8mm a year with multiple years left. Where's the young and athletic?

I dont care what Isiah says, whether he lies whos ass he tries to blow smoke up. Malik is a good guy, great worker and a solid human you want your young guys around. So why add Mo Taylor?

If your getting young and athletic why sign Vin Baker for 2 years?

Hey... I hope like HELL we strike gold in this lottery. There will be an ass ton of talent and Isiah's been good at drafting in the past. Too bad two of the guys are looking at spending their first 2 years on IR because we have 10 vets with long term deals in front of them.

Lets take an inventory:
We have no size
We have no defensive stoppers on the wing or in the post
We have no centers
As much as I like Ariza and Sweetney and even Butler considering the resources the Knicks have I'm not the least bit impressed by that. There isnt a team in the NBA that doesnt have pipeline at least that good. Is Isiah supposed to get a medal for that? Every GM in the NBA uses to draft...

I'm hoping and praying he pulls a rabit out of his hat this offseason, because I'm not impressed so far with the roster or how they have played. Whats his best move so far? Marbury? Pho is laughing all the way to the best record in the NBA. Probably his best move is Ariza and he will need to draft 3 more this offseason AND clear enough roster spaces for them to play before I can be the least bit happy with what he's done considering what he has had to work with.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/6/2005  11:06 PM
Funny thing is Isiah took Laydens notes and finished the Marbury trade that was being kicked around. I do thing that Layden was told what to do, which was rebuild on the fly. Granted, his moves sucked, but after the dice deal disaster, I think Laydog was trying doing what Isiah is doing now. I just think Layden wore out any Cred he had and could not sell it. he was an introvert!

Isiah brings the "Cult of personality" to the team which is good. A lot of folks don't like him as a player, and think he is not the real deal. face it, his post playing career has been mixed.

I have really enjoyed watching Reezy and Sweets this year, I like wathing emerging talent, and would support the team going forward if they do that.

Gonna have to get marbury to become a nuturing leader, not a grumpy diva! Otherwise, he gotta go!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/6/2005  11:07 PM
why add Mo Taylor? because he is a lot more talented and has a lot more upside than Kurt Thomas. I think you're really underestimating Mo's ability. He an incredible offensive player from the outside and in the post and is $10mil cheaper than a Chris Webber.

We are in great shape at PF once KT is traded.
Taylor - PF/C
Sweetney - PF/C
Rose - PF/SF
JYD - PF/SF

All we need is a true shotblocking center and a bigger and better SG!!

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 03/07/2005 00:21:50]
Bonn1997
USA
3/7/2005  12:19 AM
I love how some people claim they have the patience to rebuild but can't give a GM more than two half seasons before declaring him a disaster. Isiah's made about six trades and *one* of them doesn't make sense to you, Fish. (Or at least that's the only one you ever talk about.) How many GMs have a higher percentage of trades that do make sense? No GM--even ones who win championships--*always* make moves that make sense to every fan. Although I do NOT support the trade, if the worst, most serious, and most damaging trade Isiah ever makes is taking on one extra season in a contract to get Mo Taylor, I'll be extremely happy

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 03/07/2005 00:21:37]
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/7/2005  1:23 AM
Isiah is obviously not a disaster. But, a couple of more Mo Taylor trades and he'll be heading in that direction.

Mo Taylor Trade = disaster

Rose Trade = bad move. 2 picks around 30 can be had through other ways - a pick around 15 was attainable via trade to Minnesota. If not, should have simply kept Nazr.

Tim Thomas + Nazr trade = good move. Upgraded talent at both positions.

Drafting Ariza = good move.

Crawford trade = good move. Took back contracts that end prior to 2007.

The Marbury trade = risk that had to be taken, it was the fastest way to get a premier caliber player - something that the draft doesn't guarantee at picks 8-13. But, this trade is only justified if he can surround Marbury with a star 4-5 or dump Marbury for assets that atleast remotely resemble what we gave up for him.

A real disaster would be retaining Marbury as he declines (5 years from now) - then we have no big man and no point guard. Since the only way to get a star big man now is essentially to work the draft or target an unproven commodity - you have to consider development time. That really limits options. A 5-year project center means Marbury's in a rehab center before the kid can even play.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/7/2005  2:11 AM
Isiah has gotton some solid players in his trades. And yes, it's worthy of praise. However, these guys are what they are. SOLID Role Players. Most of them don't compliment eachother. Rose was good b/c he's a defensive guy and works hard and is good for the kids. Stop there. But in the other trades, notice how the other teams got the better ends of the deal? Chicago is rising, cleared up room in the guard position, has contracts EXPIRING which they WONT trade. Phoenix is now the best team in the league, b/c of who? ISIAH!! Are we even the best team in our division? Nope. We are basically the worst and are worse from last year. And it's not b/c of Marbury. It's b/c we gave up picks, took on so much more salary and took unnescessary gambles on players, while we could have just ridden with the guys we had. Let the contracts expire for once. Did you guys realize that if we didn't make that stupid Spree for KVH trade, that Spree would be coming off the books this Summer, McDyess would be OFF the books and we'd be around 60 MM with much more flexibility in the salary cap with some solid picks to work with.

Clearly, a lot of this falls on Dolan for accepting all of this cap hell. However, this team does not have a lot of promise. We cannot keep on taking excess baggage along with teams castoffs, whom are good but heavily flawed. Why couldn't we have just gone with my plan. Ride with Deke, Harrington, Frank for another season, let them friggin'expire and do something like sign Kareem Rush. A Skilled SHOOTING guard with promise.

As much as I like Crawford (I really do like him), his flaws are waaaaaaaay glaring. Same with Marbury. Their defense is just TERRIBLE.

Why can't Knicks fans be eased up on, just a little. Please. Pretty please.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
3/7/2005  5:36 AM
But Layden made the Spree for KVH trade, and the cape is less than 60 million...so exactly where are we at that is better? We would still be over the cap, we wouldn't jhave any talent to build around (Steph, Craw wouldn't be here) and we would have a lineup of

KT/Doleac/Mutumbo/Baker
Sweetney/Weatherspoon/Lampje/Harrington
Penny/Anderson
Houston/??
Ward/Williams
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
USA
3/7/2005  8:01 AM
Other teams got the better ends of the deals and have improved? Some have; some haven't. It's hard to trace a team's change to one Isiah trade anyway, but teams Isiah dealt with prior to this season:

Phoenix and Chicago are now better;
Milwaukee and Atlanta are now worse;
Houston is about the same
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/7/2005  8:08 AM
Isn't CHicago better because of the additions of Gordon, Deng and Noccioni? you'd have to be a pretty huge Craw-hater to say no, it's because they lost Craw.
sorry, but Isiah's been a disaster

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy