[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

oh man, Isiah agreed with me on a big time need for a combo guard
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/1/2005  4:44 PM
and Guillermo Diaz is the best combo guard by far in this draft,not to mention a marketing crown jewel in NY. Look at the Mets advanced season ticket sales, not for nothing put there is a HUGE contigent of latinam americans in NY--which could mean a rather large jump in TV viewership, cable contracts ad revenues and to sell out the rest of the 3.5% of tickets they dont sell.

You like Ben Gordon--Guillermo Diaz=Ben Gordon

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/1/2005  4:49 PM
will he be available in the #6-9 range? AND would you take him over rudy gay (if he declares)?

[Edited by - djsunyc on 03/01/2005 16:49:29]
BRIGGS
3/1/2005  5:00 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

will he be available in the #6-9 range? AND would you take him over rudy gay (if he declares)?

Rudy Gay will be a top 3 pick when he comes out, at worst top 5. Can we get Diaz at 7-8-9?absolutely. I just hope that he doesnt just use the other pick as a throw away for a deal for a 30 YO or something. Id love to beable to combine the picks and move up to take Fazekas. If we came out of the draft with the best combo guard in the nation+ a VERY skilled LONG 7 foot player who has great mobility, who can play in and out and is a nightmare to match up with+ we were able to back end that with a vet-vet trade for hardaways contract and a vet back up PG, that fills out a nice 15 man roster.

When you look at the Bulls this year---what was the differnce of them being 29-24 or 20-33? Ben Gordon. Thats why I think so highly of Diaz because I know he could be a difference maker of the bench for us. And anytime you find a skilled, mobile 7 footer who has such a big upside, but isnt fully physically developed because of age, built very much like a nenad kristic, its a good snag in the 15-20 area and we have the ability to move up there IMHO.
RIP Crushalot😞
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/1/2005  5:02 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by djsunyc:

Rudy Gay will be a top 3 pick when he comes out, at worst top 5. Can we get Diaz at 7-8-9?absolutely. I just hope that he doesnt just use the other pick as a throw away for a deal for a 30 YO or something. Id love to beable to combine the picks and move up to take Fazekas. If we came out of the draft with the best combo guard in the nation+ a VERY skilled LONG 7 foot player who has great mobility, who can play in and out and is a nightmare to match up with+ we were able to back end that with a vet-vet trade for hardaways contract and a vet back up PG, that fills out a nice 15 man roster.

When you look at the Bulls this year---what was the differnce of them being 29-24 or 20-33? Ben Gordon. Thats why I think so highly of Diaz because I know he could be a difference maker of the bench for us. And anytime you find a skilled, mobile 7 footer who has such a big upside, but isnt fully physically developed because of age, built very much like a nenad kristic, its a good snag in the 15-20 area and we have the ability to move up there IMHO.

Ben Gordon- but they also had a ton of talent (Curry & Chandler) that had been there that started to perform and gel.
Masterplan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #362
3/1/2005  5:22 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

and Guillermo Diaz is the best combo guard by far in this draft,not to mention a marketing crown jewel in NY. Look at the Mets advanced season ticket sales, not for nothing put there is a HUGE contigent of latinam americans in NY--which could mean a rather large jump in TV viewership, cable contracts ad revenues and to sell out the rest of the 3.5% of tickets they dont sell.

You like Ben Gordon--Guillermo Diaz=Ben Gordon

this guy sounds good... but why a combo guard? aren't marbury and crawford really teh same? i was thinking get a defensive PG of hte frank williams type... maybe also more of a pure shooter if we're assuming houston won't ever be back. i'll take hte most talented player at our draft spot regardless of position, though.
BRIGGS
3/1/2005  5:23 PM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by djsunyc:

Ben Gordon- but they also had a ton of talent (Curry & Chandler) that had been there that started to perform and gel.

Yeah they have a lot of good young players, but anyone who has watched the team knows the differnce between W-L has been Ben's play off the bench, particulary in the 4th Q where he leads the entire nBA in scoring.

here is the backrounds on Fazekas and Diaz

Fazekas is actually 7-0 3/4, hes about the same size as KG, though they have him listed 6-11

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15206

and Diaz

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15434

if you havent seen either player, these are very good analysis of both players+ shows their perfomance.

Fazekas plays on 24th ranked Nevada and Diaz play in the ACC with Mimai. He is still learning english.
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/1/2005  5:42 PM
Briggs are both these guys coming out in the draft this year? They are both sophs....
metra
Member: #473
3/1/2005  5:48 PM
.. Shouldnt we be getting a center? I'd say thats easily our #1 concern.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/1/2005  5:57 PM
Posted by metra:

Fezakas is like a 6'11 225 lb center who is doing a lot of scoring this year. Briggs is right that he should be on our radar screen....
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/1/2005  6:37 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by metra:

Fezakas is like a 6'11 225 lb center who is doing a lot of scoring this year. Briggs is right that he should be on our radar screen....

unless he puts on 15lbs he's just another Dirk Nowitski PF. But if he's a franchise talent then take him. I don't think we desperately need another SG who can run some point but still isn't a PG. If we take a guard he better be Micheal Jordon or Vince Carter. If not then might as well take a PG. I did doesn't make sense that Zeke said he would like combo guard. I just want him to draft the best player sowe dont miss out on the next Amare/Wade.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/1/2005  7:06 PM
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by metra:

I think Villanueva will be there and I would take him, tested well in the Big East, part of a championship team, he has a great upside. Can play inside or outside. And is very good on the weakside.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
BRIGGS
3/1/2005  7:32 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by VDesai:
Posted by metra:

I think Villanueva will be there and I would take him, tested well in the Big East, part of a championship team, he has a great upside. Can play inside or outside. And is very good on the weakside.

I love Uconn as much as the Knicks. I have seen every game CV has played in and I will say freely that I wouldnt pick him. I like both Diaz and Fezekas. some of the other players I may have liked make no sense for us now. For instance, do we need wayne simien? NO!

But these two are skill players that we don't have. we have two picks, really three picks we can use to make two wise picks this year.
because he is a little skinny, fezekas will probably stay around the 14-19 area--its possible he could move up because of his size, but there is some risk there because of his build.
Diaz already has superior NBA athletiscm and proven skills.
we could always pick Fazekas first and promise Louis Williams the later pick. I think Williams has as much upside as Diaz, but Diaz is tougher and proven--that is why id rather select Diaz first and try to move up for the 7 footer. hes not really a C, but he could morph into one. hes more like a highly skilled F who happens to be almost 7-1, who would be able to play next to these guys off the bench to start his career.

both players are something we don't have that would make gret additions.

for those who say, well we just want to get Sweetney Tim thomas both picks and get Elton Brand--for example--that a frikin trap.
Brand isnt Tim Duncan and those 4 players combined are so far better than any one player we could get its rediculous. next year, our roster will already have
6 guys who will be 30 and older next year and 2 guys who will be 29

we dont want to run into the same problem we just went through

we have enough vets per se if 70% of the roster is 29 and up.

we need an infusion of youth

the Mavericks are run very well--look what they have done in the draft the last two years

Josh Howard
Devin harris
Marquis daniels
Pavel Podolzine
Memnga Didier

then they have their vets, and dirk is still only 25-26.

look at the best team in the league
they have drafted
Parker
Ginobli
Ubrith
they have the rights to Scola
all with late picks.

If you scout and excute--like we did with ariza, in a draft like this you will exceute two hot players. we would need, however to move up on the board with the second pick to get both.
RIP Crushalot😞
Pharzeone
3/1/2005  7:34 PM
[/quote]

If we take a guard he better be Micheal Jordon or Vince Carter. If not then might as well take a PG. I did doesn't make sense that Zeke said he would like combo guard. I just want him to draft the best player sowe dont miss out on the next Amare/Wade.
[/quote]

I agree about the MJ over Bowie thing. But no one predicted Wade to have this type of upside with the "Big three" in 2003. Wade was a guy that had a nice season and Tourney run. These drafts get harder and harder to fault some GMs.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
3/1/2005  7:54 PM
The KNicks #1 priority is to get a Center.....Forget about the guards, we have enough of that.....This year, we have to address our needs....A PG in the second round would be mighty good, but the first round, we must find ourselves at least two big men that can play the game of basketball. As for that kid Fezakas, if he can shoot the ball, and posess a lowpost game, can block shots, and most of all rebound, yeah bring him in...The weight part is not at all a problem. We can always find him a weight program that could add muscles and mass on his frame....
The true Knickabocker..........
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/1/2005  8:00 PM
"Forget about the guards, we have enough of that" Who are the Knicks guards? I see Crawford and Marbury, then what after that. A gimp Penny Hardaway signed for one more year? A gimp Allan Houston who might retire? I agree the Knicks need a C, but at this point its take the best player available.

Diaz is a great player, I've watched him a few times. However, right now I think the Knicks are at a point where they need to just take the best guy available. To me, Stephen Hunter should get the red carpet treatment this year for the MLE. Extrapolate Hunter's stats to 30 minutes he'd get as a starting C and he'd putting up 9, 6, and 2 (figure a few more too in the East).

And the Knicks have no second rounder in this year's draft, they traded it for Tim Thomas last year.
#Knickstaps
Pharzeone
3/1/2005  8:12 PM
Personally I wouldn't mind just getting another big man, that can play both PF or Center. I think the classic center is gone, and doesn't fit the Knicks right now. I mean you need a guy who can play inside and out but who is an athlethic shot blocker. I mean if Zeke wants to go after a combo guard that is fine but I hope he can block shots from the weakside. Because I wouldn't use a pick to get one. Unless he is going to start. I agree totally with diderotn. 2 Big men, i would look at the french kid (I know, I know)for the 2nd 1st round pick.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
3/1/2005  8:34 PM
Teams always make mistakes when they draft for need over pure talent. If there is a 7 foot stiff or an athletic combo guard who can be a spark 6th man, you'll take the 7 foot stiff? I think that's a bad idea.

Stephen Hunter would average 2 blocks a game if we signed him for the MLE and made him starting C. I see nothing wrong with him. The draft is for taking the best player available, Free Agency is for filling your needs.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
3/1/2005  8:48 PM
Stephen Hunter isnt the answer, IMHO. It's to much money to throw at a guy who does have a lot of physical potential, but hasn't shown enough to warrant an MLE contract. If we could get him for 1-2mm for a couple of years to continue his devlopment--oK, thats worth it, but no way would i throw 40mm at him.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/1/2005  8:53 PM
don't like Hunter either. Kurt Thomas is a better player. I bet Hunter is just as bad a Nazr but he's capable of averaging 1 more blk a game. NOT WORTH it. I like Chandler
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/1/2005  9:00 PM
if we're going the route of seattle or poor man's bad boys v 2.0 then if we do draft diaz with our lotto pick, then the full MLE gets thrown at gadzuric. now you got 4 frontcourt players to rotate at the PF/C position.

sweets/rose
kurt/gadz

with jyd and mo getting some minutes here and there.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 03/01/2005 21:00:36]
oh man, Isiah agreed with me on a big time need for a combo guard

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy