Compensation for Ming
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/18/2002  6:18 PM
From RealGM.com:

Could the Knicks he headed to China? No, they have not been extradited, but if they are lucky enough to land Chinese big man Yao Ming that may just be the compensation the Shanghai Sharks are looking for if Marc Berman's article in today's New York Post is anything to go by.

An exhibition game against Ming's Shanghai Sharks would be part of the compensation the Knicks or any other team lucky enough to choose Ming would have to give Shanghai for allowing Ming to play next season. Layden was told by Chinese basketball officials during a recent trip that Ming will definitely be allowed to play in the NBA next season but that there would be conditions.

Rumors are Shanghai would require just money, but Layden was also told about an exhibition game and sponsoring coaching clinics in its Chinese city. One of the Shanghai owners was quoted last week, saying, "Under the right circumstances, with the right club, at the right time, he'll play."
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/18/2002  9:18 PM
That "at the right time" part scares me.
BigSm00th
USA
3/18/2002  9:29 PM
Yao Ming seems like a taller, Communist Fred Weis.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
USA
3/18/2002  9:35 PM
Latest from BskBALL.com regarding Yao Ming.

03/18- YAO ME, THEN WOW ME!- With the NBA draft less than 100 days away, draft talk is heating up, it doesn't hurt that strong NCAA play this weekend has NBA scouts drooling, but despite the hype the name most are still talking about is 7'5 Chinese big man Yao Ming. The Knicks are the more popular team to have scouted Yao this year, but to be fair a lot of NBA execs will be making the trip to China, if they haven't already. The word is the Chinese team (Shanghai Rockets) Yao plays for is looking for a compensation package... the terms of the package are uniform so this is not a situation of largest market wins, but clearly largest market could absorb the "conditions" a little easier than a smaller market. Any team with interest in drafting Yao would have to supply cash to the team (The NBA allows $350,000 to be paid to secure a foreign player), they'd have to agree to an exhibition schedule, likely one game to be played in China (which isn't a bad thing for the NBA), they'd have to sponsor coaching clinics in China for Chinese players (which also isn't a bad thing). The Knicks are hinting to media that if Yao is there, they would draft him. The Bulls are another team with interest, and Bulls rookir Tyson Chandler had comments for the press on Yao saying "I dunked on him a couple times. I screamed after I dunked, and he got mad, and it was like I woke up a dragon. Until then, I was just going to the hole. He looked pretty good. It's difficult for some players when they come from other countries, because they don't have our kind of mentality and aren't real aggressive. They're kind of soft sometimes. But I would love him as a teammate. A big body like that, I wouldn't want to go against him.'' The word on Yao is he's Shawn Bradley with Kevin Garnett's shooting and quickness.
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/18/2002  9:36 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Yao Ming seems like a taller, Communist Fred Weis.
totally.
Knixkik
USA
3/18/2002  9:37 PM
"The word on Yao is he's Shawn Bradley with Kevin Garnett's shooting and quickness."

This is really saying a lot for the Chinese star. He's definitely no tall stiff. He's tall, but has superstar-like skills. We need him.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
3/18/2002  11:49 PM
Wait...just who is saying this? The quickness of Garnett? Now I'll admit that I've never seen Ming play, but if he had the shooting ability and quickness of Garnett people would not even be considering Jason Williams as the first overall pick. There wouldn't even be a debate over who to pick #1 overall. This seems a bit outlandish.
Posted by Knixkik:

"The word on Yao is he's Shawn Bradley with Kevin Garnett's shooting and quickness."
PURE KNICKS LOVE
VG
Member: #68
Australia
3/19/2002  3:18 AM
Posted by Andrew:

Wait...just who is saying this? The quickness of Garnett? Now I'll admit that I've never seen Ming play, but if he had the shooting ability and quickness of Garnett people would not even be considering Jason Williams as the first overall pick. There wouldn't even be a debate over who to pick #1 overall. This seems a bit outlandish.
Posted by Knixkik:

It's exaggerated but Yao Ming is stronger and more athletic than Bradley and his shooting touch is really nice for his size...
Knixkik
USA
3/19/2002  3:45 PM
It's exaggerated but Yao Ming is stronger and more athletic than Bradley and his shooting touch is really nice for his size...
In other words even if they are exaggerating, he's still worth taking if available. We should just leave it at that.
nyknyg
Member: #77
USA
3/19/2002  5:29 PM
come on, he plays in china against scrubby players that are at most on average 6-2. he's 7-5. he better be doing what he does or else he's worthless.0
NyC, LeS NyG, NyK
Knixkik
USA
3/19/2002  5:44 PM
Posted by nyknyg:

come on, he plays in china against scrubby players that are at most on average 6-2. he's 7-5. he better be doing what he does or else he's worthless.0
Thats the best part about him, he has a legit outside game for someone 6-7 and he's 7-6.
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
3/19/2002  8:02 PM
Thats the best part about him, he has a legit outside game for someone 6-7 and he's 7-6.
Its still China!
They are not good there.
He should put way more points and grab way more boards if he is so good.
If Specer played in China he would domiante too!
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caseloads
3/19/2002  8:39 PM
Posted by Starks3:
Its still China!
They are not good there.
He should put way more points and grab way more boards if he is so good.
If Specer played in China he would domiante too!
aint it the truth.
nykfan37
Member: #118
3/19/2002  10:11 PM
Gasol averaged 13ppg last year in Europe....Europe?!?! So I guess none of you would want him either right? I'd lead the who will be a bust and who won't to the scouts...
Caseloads
3/19/2002  10:24 PM
Posted by nykfan37:

Gasol averaged 13ppg last year in Europe....Europe?!?! So I guess none of you would want him either right? I'd lead the who will be a bust and who won't to the scouts...
Fact is, Spencer would still dominate in China.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/19/2002  10:33 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by nykfan37:

Fact is, Spencer would still dominate in China.

in the fouls per minute category?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
USA
3/19/2002  10:34 PM
The thought of Felton Spencer dominating is scary. You could stick him in high school JV "B" games and he would probably have 4 points, a few rebounds, maybe a block, before fouling out. The guy is worthless.
#Knickstaps
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/20/2002  4:45 AM
Remeber though, Felton Spencer was a lottery pick. That's what you get I guess when you don't put talent first when drafting. His height and physique made him an attractive prospect at the center position, now he's just the "5 fouls and one rebound in 6 minutes" Spencer.

So uhm, no to Chris Marcus.

Draft the best available talent and go from there, and if talents are close to equal draft forwards. If a center is actually talented and agile, he goes #1. Something like that anyway.
Caseloads
3/20/2002  9:02 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Remeber though, Felton Spencer was a lottery pick. That's what you get I guess when you don't put talent first when drafting. His height and physique made him an attractive prospect at the center position, now he's just the "5 fouls and one rebound in 6 minutes" Spencer.

So uhm, no to Chris Marcus.

Draft the best available talent and go from there, and if talents are close to equal draft forwards. If a center is actually talented and agile, he goes #1. Something like that anyway.
i read an article on how the clips don't plan on keeping kandi. snag him this offseason somehow?
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/20/2002  9:48 AM
Well it's obvious that Olowokandi flourishes when the pressure is off him, which has happened because of Brand. I'm doubtful whether kandi goes though, it's such a key signing and all the young clips will be looking at management (sterling) if he's still mister tightpocket or acknowledges the team he has now and give them appropriate salaries.

If he can be had though, do it, no brainer.

I'm more worried if we'll make good use, as in fill a position really needed, with the upcoming midlevel exception.

suggestions:

Troy Hudson ,Wang Zhizhi ,Walter McCarty ,George McCloud ,Eddie House ,Kenny Satterfield , Scott Williams , Radoslav Nesterovic ,Leon Smith ,Jarron Collins ,John Crotty ,Lee Nailon , Gilbert Arenas ,Trenton Hassell ,Larry Hughes (ok, overly optimistic. He'll do alot better outside of GS though), Ricky Davis , Jeff McInnis , Stanislav Medvedenko ,Rafer Alston ,Ruben Boumtje Boumtje ,Greg Foster ,Darvin Ham, Predrag Drobnjak ,Jerome James
Compensation for Ming

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy