[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kurt and Malik= A poor man's Oak and Mason?
Author Thread
BigC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #829
2/26/2005  12:03 AM
I think Kurt Thomas and Malik can be a good combination. Malik is a high energy player that can play D, rebound, block shots,and score in the low blocks. With Kurt they can play great help d. Malik can also guard about and position much like Mason. Kurt can shoot the open jump just like Oak. Too bad he can not intimidate players like Oakley did. What are your thoughts on Malik and the Kurt combination?
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
AUTOADVERT
Masterplan
Member: #362
2/26/2005  12:48 AM
it's an expensive poor man's combination, and they're both getting old. but i like the thought.
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
2/26/2005  4:10 AM
They don't come close IMO, Mason was a freak of a ballhandler for his size and athleticism and was much more refined in the post than Malik will ever be, though KT does bear some comparison to the Oak man
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/26/2005  9:07 AM
very very very poor man's oak & mason. kinda like nazr was a very very very poor mans ewing.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/26/2005  10:36 AM
KT and Rose are fine complementary players. The Knicks problem, as always, is we have a roster full of players that are all fine complementary players and no superstar.

It's almost as is if the team got so used to the mentality of: "oh, we just need to add an all-star point guard for Ewing," or "oh, we just need to get some more depth around Ewing." Because now we have everything BUT EWING.
¿ △ ?
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/26/2005  10:40 AM
I could be wrong but they seem like two players while having something to contribute will keep the Knicks mired in mediocrity.Can they help the Knicks get to the next level? I doubt it.
crzymdups
USA
2/26/2005  10:56 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I could be wrong but they seem like two players while having something to contribute will keep the Knicks mired in mediocrity.Can they help the Knicks get to the next level? I doubt it.

Nothing but an all-star or super-star big man is going to get us to the next level. Find a good or very good team in this league without a superstar, all-star big and I'd be shocked. The only one I can think of is the Sonics.
¿ △ ?
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/26/2005  10:58 AM
One of the things I found interested in what Zeke said was that "looking around the league at what teams are doing with Power Forwards"

I thought it was interesting. For each PF we have, there is another team out there that could use their services.

Tradeable assets.

There is a chance that none of them will be around after next year.

all kool aid all the time.
crzymdups
USA
2/26/2005  11:09 AM
Posted by rvhoss:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Nothing but an all-star or super-star big man is going to get us to the next level. Find a good or very good team in this league without a superstar, all-star big and I'd be shocked. The only one I can think of is the Sonics.

Dallas and Sacramento has a abundance of Centers?

Brad Miller is one of the toughest centers in the league. Perhaps you remember him dropping 35 on us in Sacto? He's been an all-star in the West, which shows the leagues regard for him. If I could handpick a team, he'd be the center I would pick. Great, great player. They also have Darius Songalia who is more talented than any big we have.

And Dallas has this seven-footer Dirk Nowitzki, who is unguardable by pretty much anyone in the league. He can't guard more physical players, but his defense is better these days.

Also, Seattle has Rashard Lewis who isn't technically a big, but he's a silky smooth 6'10" SF who is pretty much unstoppable and also an All-star.
¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/26/2005  11:16 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
very very very poor man's oak & mason. kinda like nazr was a very very very poor mans ewing.

Nazr was a "homeless crackhead in debt" poor mans ewing.

Isiah is a "rich mans" Starphuched Jerry West!

I hope we don't have to argue one day who sucked more, Isiah or Layden.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/26/2005  11:30 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Never said we could do it without some big name talent.My problem is getting players that we really dont need.Where they so necessary that Isiah couldnt of waited until the off-season to see what kind picks or players he could have acquired?

I like Malik Rose but unless he undergoes some kind of transformation,is clearly a player on decline on a team that is supposedly looking towards the future and we all know what kind of rep Taylor has.

Like I said in an earlier post,they may actually move the team back from pitiful to mediocre,right back to that slot where Layden kept the Knicks.Yes,you have to go past mediocre to get to good and great but when you sign mediocre players with big contracts ownership is going to want to see them play to justify them being brought over here which dries up time for players you want to develop.Who knows how this will affect Sweetney's time or even Ariza's if Taylor gets a nod at small forward which herb is apparently thinking of doing.

Yes,I also know Isiah is a definite upgrade but by how much is getting to be debatable I hate to say.At least one of those picks need to be someone very special to justify this deal.

I disagree with those who are trying to break up the deal into the Houston trade and the SA trade.I realize its easier to digest that way but its better to look at what went out the door and what came back in contracts,length,players,picks,where in the draft etc..To me its a more accurate way to determine whether this was a good move or not and as a whole it wasnt IMO.I really want to be positive about this but Im having a hard time doing it.

crzymdups
USA
2/26/2005  2:05 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Never said we could do it without some big name talent.My problem is getting players that we really dont need.Where they so necessary that Isiah couldnt of waited until the off-season to see what kind picks or players he could have acquired?

I like Malik Rose but unless he undergoes some kind of transformation,is clearly a player on decline on a team that is supposedly looking towards the future and we all know what kind of rep Taylor has.

Like I said in an earlier post,they may actually move the team back from pitiful to mediocre,right back to that slot where Layden kept the Knicks.Yes,you have to go past mediocre to get to good and great but when you sign mediocre players with big contracts ownership is going to want to see them play to justify them being brought over here which dries up time for players you want to develop.Who knows how this will affect Sweetney's time or even Ariza's if Taylor gets a nod at small forward which herb is apparently thinking of doing.

Yes,I also know Isiah is a definite upgrade but by how much is getting to be debatable I hate to say.At least one of those picks need to be someone very special to justify this deal.

I disagree with those who are trying to break up the deal into the Houston trade and the SA trade.I realize its easier to digest that way but its better to look at what went out the door and what came back in contracts,length,players,picks,where in the draft etc..To me its a more accurate way to determine whether this was a good move or not and as a whole it wasnt IMO.I really want to be positive about this but Im having a hard time doing it.

Oh, I agree. I just meant the only hope I have for this team right now is this year's lottery pick. And when/if we screw it up, the only hope I'll have is next year's lottery pick.

I think the late first rounders will be valuable and that the Malik trade was a good trade for that. I agree Malik himself might help us win an extra 3 games or so to screw the lottery pick. Sigh.
¿ △ ?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy