[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

there's only one real downside to these trades....
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/25/2005  7:11 AM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Why? Which teams won championships because they got stars by getting under the cap? I can think of at least zero

Sure, a very small minority of the championship teams did.

In fairness, has the salary cap been around long enough to make that judgement? At any rate, the cap is the difference between getting a star and an MLE player in the offseason, in many situations.

The Lakers won it because they got Shaq, Pistons because they got Rasheed.
The cap had nothing to do with the Pistons getting Rasheed
AUTOADVERT
OldFan
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #446
2/25/2005  7:15 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Who cares about bad contracts? The Knicks are not trying to get under the cap

The problem is they are bad contracts that are not expiring soon enough. You may not care about the cap but you probably do want us to have tradeable assets and these deals are too long to be considered tradeable assets until some time in the future.
Bonn1997
USA
2/25/2005  7:19 AM
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

The problem is they are bad contracts that are not expiring soon enough. You may not care about the cap but you probably do want us to have tradeable assets and these deals are too long to be considered tradeable assets until some time in the future.
We IMPROVED our trade assets yesterday. Be happy! It's better to go into the offseason with three first rd picks and $30 mil in expiring contracts than 1 pick and $42 mil in expiring contracts.
OldFan
2/25/2005  7:27 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

We IMPROVED our trade assets yesterday. Be happy! It's better to go into the offseason with three first rd picks and $30 mil in expiring contracts than 1 pick and $42 mil in expiring contracts.

NAZ was a tradeable asset that we no longer have.

The draft picks as I stated on another board explain only one trade and I think can easily be over-valued. Isiah is going to have to draft very well to justify one trade and Taylor will have to play well to justify the other (and even then he is redundant).
Bonn1997
USA
2/25/2005  7:39 AM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Why? Which teams won championships because they got stars by getting under the cap? I can think of at least zero

In fairness, has the salary cap been around long enough to make that judgement? At any rate, the cap is the difference between getting a star and an MLE player in the offseason, in many situations.

BTW, the salary cap has been around since 1946. See point #11 in the link below. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#17
OldFan
2/25/2005  7:48 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

BTW, the salary cap has been around since 1946. See point #11 in the link below. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#17

Bonn a salary cap existed in 1946. The current cap system was instituted in 1984.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
2/25/2005  8:47 AM
With fans like Bonn, who needs enemies?!

This team can never EVER land a superstar free agent. They have to do it through trades. How many teams trade their so-called "franchise" talent unless said talent is flawed? Marbury, R. Wallace, Webber, A. Walker - these guys are second and third tier players - fine to have them on the team, but they do not command games the way guys like Duncan or Garnett or Lebron do. Free agency being the best, quickest way to turn a team from a loser into a contender, the Knicks have cut themselves off from it, because of their disregard for the cap.

Great. He got draft picks from San A and got some interior defense in Malik, wonderful, but why the Mo Taylor deal? Taylor is a TERRIBLE player, all offense, nothing else. Why put a bum like that on your team and not get some picks with it? It increased the payroll without making the team better! Mo Taylor is a bad player.

Dolan simply cannot accept that this team has to become a bottom scraper for the next three seasons to become a great team in the future. And, instead, we get this garbage trade with Houston. Unbelievable.

Here's what. F&%^$ the Knicks. F$*&$ fans like Bonn and dildoton. Enjoy your bad team that will never be a contender. I'm done. I like the youth movement, but without a franchise talent, this team cannot be like Miami or San Antonio or Phoenix or Sacramento or Dallas. They think they can be like the Pistons (no obvious stars), but they can't.

Detroit is the only team since at least the 80's to win without a superstar. It just doesn't happen in this league enough to justify trying to build a team that way.

No, this is just a shame. And worse yet, they won last night. The more San Antonio wins, the worse that pick gets, the more the Knicks win, the lower their lottery pick.

No, done. Over. I'll use the last couple tickets I have, or I'll give them to friends (the two who actually like the Knicks) and root for Boston, even though they're just as dumb (so is Philly, who won't win jack with Webber) but that's the way it is. Fool me once blah blah blah.

(spits on ground) That's what I think of this organization. Maybe one day I'll return to the boards, if Dolan sells the team or somehow Isiah redeems this trade by moving Mo for expiring contracts or a decent player or something. Anything.

Until then ... Over. Out.

Martin, Andrew ... peace. You guys have a great fan board, the news scraping is what brought me here, and most of the posters are reasonable people. I just can't see another dumb trade go through and say to myself "no, wait, this is going to turn into something better" and it never happens. Ever. That's it. Can't take it anymore. I believe a true fan of Knicks basketball will boycott this team until it changes ownership.

Dolan ... go **** you mother, you fat lush piece of crap. Go wipe your fat ass with you filthy lucre, bitch.

Bye all. Enjoy the rest of the season.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
2/25/2005  9:01 AM
"This team can never EVER land a superstar free agent. They have to do it through trades. How many teams trade their so-called "franchise" talent unless said talent is flawed? Marbury, R. Wallace, Webber, A. Walker - these guys are second and third tier players - fine to have them on the team, but they do not command games the way guys like Duncan or Garnett or Lebron do. Free agency being the best, quickest way to turn a team from a loser into a contender, the Knicks have cut themselves off from it, because of their disregard for the cap."

Lets not get crazy here, we weren't going to have a chance to go under the cap until Allan Houston's contract came off the books. Taylor and Houston have contracts that both expire the same season so in the long term salary situation the only thing that Isiah did to hurt us was bring in Malik Rose because of his long contract (but for 2 first round picks I think its bearable).
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/25/2005  9:02 AM
I hear you DefandReb,its not easy being a Knick fan.Dont give up on them yet.Even a broken clock is right twice a day so they may stumble into doing something right.

Besides...

"One of us... one of us....one of us..."

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
2/25/2005  9:06 AM
WOW.

Well I actually like Mo Taylor. He is talented, athletic and is young at 28 and has a pretty good offensive game. He does seem to be allergic to rebounds, but I think he is still developing his game and we can work with him on that. This trade was not the trade that bothered me.

Malik Rose? I know he is supposed to be tough and all that, but I liked Nazr, even though he was slumping. Nazr is better than Malik Rose, but we will really have to wait and see how this pans out. How these guys perform on the court and how we play as a team with them. I will suspend judgement until I see that. I also believe in Isaih's ability to draft. He has a great track record for picking talent and I also think he must have something else up his sleeve. We'll se this off-season. If by the next trade deadline we aren't significantly improved, thats when I will lose my cool, until then I'll just wait and see.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/25/2005  9:09 AM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

On the one hand, Isiah claims he is upgrading the talent through the trades. If so, it decreases the chances of betting a Duncan or Pippen.
huh?

I just heard Isiah on MSG's "Sportsdesk." He said, in a way, this is like "our lottery," because of the talent upgrade in Rose and Taylor. If so, it makes it less likely that the Knicks will have the kind of draft pick to draft a franchise player.

Zeke meant that having four picks in the coming drafts was like playing hte lottery...each pick is hit or miss...for every ariza, there is a sundov. (who still may be good at 7'-2")
all kool aid all the time.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/25/2005  9:33 AM
Posted by DefAndReb:

Martin, Andrew ... peace. You guys have a great fan board, the news scraping is what brought me here, and most of the posters are reasonable people. I just can't see another dumb trade go through and say to myself "no, wait, this is going to turn into something better" and it never happens. Ever. That's it. Can't take it anymore. I believe a true fan of Knicks basketball will boycott this team until it changes ownership.

Dolan ... go **** you mother, you fat lush piece of crap. Go wipe your fat ass with you filthy lucre, bitch.

Bye all. Enjoy the rest of the season.

OK man, we hear you. Stop by once in a while and bitch slap some of the posters. See you in 2008 when all of the contracts expire. Later.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/25/2005  9:56 AM
Def... you will be missed. Peace
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
there's only one real downside to these trades....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy