[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Chris Webber Trade?!
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/24/2005  8:01 AM
Getting Webber would have meant that Sweetney would not get the PT to develop and would have probably been traded.He has more value as trade bait over the next few years,not as a backup getting a handful of minutes behind CWebb.

We would be in the same situation we have been for years now,good enough to make the playoffs,not good enough to contend.The needle was finally swinging to one side.Lets face it,we need to get worse before we can get better.Id rather go for Bogut then get Webber and stifle Sweetney's development or even see him get shipped because he has no PT behind Webber.Which would also mean that the Knicks started getting older and more injury prone again.

Lets say Webber is here and Sweetney stays,Webber gets hurt.Sweetney moves to starter and we have him and Webber's contract tying the team's hands even more.

Lets face it.Some nights we will see the highlight reels of Webber at Philly,or lose a game to them and wonder what might have been.But then again there is a good chance he may go back on the IL for extended periods and we will thank the basketball gods that he isnt here.
AUTOADVERT
GoNyGoNyGo
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #411
USA
2/24/2005  8:02 AM
Hey Sac is in Cap HELL now.

Philly will make a run but they are still not good enough to beat Shaq and the heat as WEBB could never beat Shaq before with a stronger crew. But I think they will be there.

I am glad NY did not make any deal for Webb, it is not what they need to do. YOUTH is the way. With H20 and Cwebb NY would have 1 good knee!

Yes, NY could have offered a better deal, IMO. KT is better than Kenny Thomas (who is a defensive liability), TT is better than he is showing this year.

Sac still has the pieces to be very good. Bibby, Peja & Miller with role players at the 4, and Mobley at the 2! Still a good team which may run even more now.

crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/24/2005  8:09 AM
The trade makes sense for Sacto. At first, I was suprised they didn't get Glenn Rob's expiry or Sam Dam, but the deal gets them off the hook for Webber and that's enough. Even better, it makes Peja happy again.

Has anyone seen Peja or Webber play this year? Peja is miserable (because of Webber) and Webber can't jump anymore. Webber is basically Kurt Thomas now, with a better jumper and slightly better passing, but worse D. But still, the man is floor bound and owed $60 million after this season. I'm so glad Zeke didn't make this move.

Everyone needs to realize, the season is O-V-E-R and has been for a while. We need a lotto pick. We need some luck with the draft. If you root for anything today, root for Kurt to go to San Antonio for a #1.
¿ △ ?
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/24/2005  8:14 AM
Wow, definately wasn't expecting to see this when I got up. You can only wonder what SacTown was thinking. Can't wait to see Webber with Philly tonight.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/24/2005  8:16 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

The trade makes sense for Sacto. At first, I was suprised they didn't get Glenn Rob's expiry or Sam Dam, but the deal gets them off the hook for Webber and that's enough. Even better, it makes Peja happy again.

Has anyone seen Peja or Webber play this year? Peja is miserable (because of Webber) and Webber can't jump anymore. Webber is basically Kurt Thomas now, with a better jumper and slightly better passing, but worse D. But still, the man is floor bound and owed $60 million after this season. I'm so glad Zeke didn't make this move.

Everyone needs to realize, the season is O-V-E-R and has been for a while. We need a lotto pick. We need some luck with the draft. If you root for anything today, root for Kurt to go to San Antonio for a #1.

Let's get real, sure Webber doesn't have the mobility he used to, but let's be fair. He's way better than KT; he's been putting up 21 and 10 all year long and is a great passer. The Kings basically got scrubs in return. In all honesty, KT and Allan Houston/Tim Thomas/Penny Hardaway would've been a better deal. No clue why the Kings gave Webber away for free. There had to be something better than this out there.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/24/2005  8:18 AM
philly got a good deal for NOW but remember webber and iverson are there for awhile. so philly is basically handcuffed for the next three years with these two. yeah, they can compete for the east but are they better than miami or detroit? will webber remain healthy for those years? i am glad we did not do the deal because if webber hurts himself, it would be another mcdyess deal. let sixers have fun now and get bounced in the second round. it will take them at least a month to gel and then when they go into the playoffs, a team like miami and detroit will beat them. meanwhile we need to be patient and make our move in the summer.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
2/24/2005  8:27 AM
I'll tell you what, I would have loved to have Webber for a cheap price. However, now was not the time to get him (the offseason would have been the better situation). To know that Isiah could have had him just makes me happier knowing that Isiah is sticking to his word by not taking on a injury prone player with a huge contract. I got to admit I'm in a pretty good mood right now, it looks like we might actually do this the right way. As for Philly, they are pretty much contenders right now.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/24/2005  8:43 AM
Posted by jazz74:

philly got a good deal for NOW but remember webber and iverson are there for awhile. so philly is basically handcuffed for the next three years with these two. yeah, they can compete for the east but are they better than miami or detroit? will webber remain healthy for those years? i am glad we did not do the deal because if webber hurts himself, it would be another mcdyess deal. let sixers have fun now and get bounced in the second round. it will take them at least a month to gel and then when they go into the playoffs, a team like miami and detroit will beat them. meanwhile we need to be patient and make our move in the summer.

They're not any more handcuffed than they were before. They gave up equally bad contracts and less talented players for Webber and two others. Philly's roster makes me drool. What's sick is that they still have enough to trade for say, Michael Redd, if they want to.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/24/2005  8:44 AM
CWeb would be a nice quick fix. Sac needs good role players, bigs who can compliment the scorers. They are tradable servicable players.

CWeb also served to satisfy Iversons demand to get better quick.

CWeb on philly makes sense, on the knicks it does not. Not even on the cheap. He is a time bomb. That fragile knee could take the franchise back down 2-3 years. I love the dude, I love his game, but having his contract, and Allans is some crazy money for two gimps!

We are not winning any championship with CWeb, so why stagnate Sweets growth, and tie up even more money.

I wish them all well!

I want us to draft a Cwebb type of talent and have him for many healty years, not the tail end of a bloated contract! Been there, done that!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/24/2005  9:45 AM
i didn't want webber here and am happy he's not.

as a knicks fan, i really don't care what other teams do.

as a basketball fan, philly got the better end talent-wise but took a huge injury risk.

sacramento...i have no idea what sacramento was thinking...not even getting dalembert in return? i mean, if not expiring deals, then at least young players. they got neither.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/24/2005  9:56 AM
In referring indirectly to Webber recently, Thomas said, "We definitely have to make sure we don't keep repeating the sins of the past and stop rehabbing players who have big contracts and big names that are not as young as they used to be."

So the days of the Knicks spending recklessly to make a deal appear over. But Stephon Marbury doesn't like the idea of relying on the draft. "There's no dominant college players in college," he said. "No one's going to be able to help you next year."

I really couldn't agree with both of them more.
all kool aid all the time.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
2/24/2005  10:00 AM
Isiah has lost his magic. How in the world is he going to pass on this deal??? Webb is amongst the best big men in this game, and now Iverson has another opportunity to prove that he is a much better player than Marburry....First it was the lost of Sheed, second Dampier, third Carter, and now Webb. When will enough be enough for the Knicks??? after all, Philly only gave three no names to get Webb, that is clearly less than what the Knicks could have offered to get Webb..........

Oh Isiah! Please do something....
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/24/2005  10:24 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Isiah has lost his magic. How in the world is he going to pass on this deal??? Webb is amongst the best big men in this game, and now Iverson has another opportunity to prove that he is a much better player than Marburry....First it was the lost of Sheed, second Dampier, third Carter, and now Webb. When will enough be enough for the Knicks??? after all, Philly only gave three no names to get Webb, that is clearly less than what the Knicks could have offered to get Webb..........

Oh Isiah! Please do something....

i think what fish said in another post is right, if isiah wanted webber, he would've gotten him. BUT he didn't which, to me, means he's actually trying to build this team instead of patching it together by "starphucking" (c) nalod.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/24/2005  10:43 AM
I thought this summed it up pretty well:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&id=1998501

Of course, such is the respect for Petrie around the league that the first few executives we reached to discuss the evening's big news all had a similar reaction: Petrie must know something we don't.

As in: Webber, perhaps, is in worse shape than his numbers suggest.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
2/24/2005  10:46 AM
Frankly, passing on Webb in my opinion is a huge mistake. We will never be able to acquire a player of that caliber in N.Y. How in the world you are trying to help a kid like Marburry to be a super player while you don't look at acquiring players who have the qualities necessary to bring the best out of this young man? We traded for Crawfford which in my opinion was a bad deal, because Crawff doesn't complement Marb at all. He doesn't play defense and so does Marb. The move that Isiah should have made was to try to acquire Haywood or Kwame and Larry Hughes....The combo of any of the three names that I have mentioned is in my opinion what Marb needs around him....
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/24/2005  10:49 AM
a couple months ago you killed us for listing Kwame Brown as a player the Knicks should target. Webber is Camby part II with 3 times the salary.

Your off your rocker
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
2/24/2005  10:53 AM
Dont get me wrong my friend, I still don't like Kwame, but I do believe that he is better than Nazr and Kurt combine. The reason why I didn't want him is because he was after a big pay day, and frankly, I don't believe that he is worth the 65 to 75 millions that he is after. I personally think that the combo of Haywood and Hughes is a much better fit.....

Posted by fishmike:

a couple months ago you killed us for listing Kwame Brown as a player the Knicks should target. Webber is Camby part II with 3 times the salary.

Your off your rocker

[Edited by - diderotn on 02/24/2005 11:06:09]
s3231
Member: #544
USA
2/24/2005  11:16 AM
If we we're closer to the playoff race then a C-Webb trade wouldn't be that bad. However, lets say you do get Webber now. Still a pretty good shot we would miss the playoffs while getting enough wins to avoid a great pick. If that happens, you can basically say the season was a lost cause because you can't do any damage in the playoffs if you can't get there. At least w/o the Webber trade, we have a decent shot at picking real high in this draft and we still have other ways of improving this team. Remember, we all said we wanted a championship, a trade for Webber at this point in the season would have been the wrong move in bringing us closer to one.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/24/2005  11:37 AM
Where does Glenn robinson fit in all this? Will Glen be traded for another player?

This is interesting.....

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
2/24/2005  11:39 AM
Posted by OldFan:

I not convinced KT & TT is better then what they Sac got. TT is worth less then nothing.

What other packages would people have been willng to give up?

KT&TT trade is better. First off even if you don't like TT, he comes off your books in 06, second KT has more trade value than Kenny Thomas and Skinner. Corliss still has a lot of value but KT is younger and fits better in that style of play too. I believe now more than ever that Zeke just wants to build up from the draft, or get guys like a Kwame Brown or Curry but not at the sake up giving up picks for.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Chris Webber Trade?!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy