Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/23/2005  1:55 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/40314.htm

KURT-AIN MIGHT FALL ON THOMAS

By MARC BERMAN

February 23, 2005 -- AUBURN HILLS — Kurt Thomas will ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange tomorrow. Whether it's his last public act as a Knick is uncertain.

Isiah Thomas is trying to get younger by tomorrow's trading deadline, even attempting to land a draft pick, according to sources close to the Knicks president.

But Knick officials believe it's slim he'll be able to do anything, as Isiah has few pawns, not willing to package his youngsters, Michael Sweetney, Trevor Ariza or Jamal Crawford. Isiah also is not permitted to trade his own first-round pick this summer.

Kurt Thomas, 32, happens to be one of the few pawns — for a team looking for a final veteran piece to a championship puzzle. It's hard for Isiah to match up salary for a young player. The Knicks would have to take back another big contract — and don't want to.

The Knicks will have a better chance at a deal this summer when Wizards center Kwame Brown becomes available as a restricted free agent.

Kurt Thomas doesn't understand why he'd be moved in the name of youth. "I still consider myself a young player," he said. "I still feel I'm in the prime of my career with a lot of years left."

The proud Texan won't be upset if dealt to a title contender such as San Antonio, which has always liked him. "If someone wants me, I got to go," Kurt Thomas said. "It's part of the business. I won't be disappointed. I've been here a long time."

Marv Albert is back at the Garden tomorrow for first time for TNT . . . Allan Houston on using Grant Hill's All-Star appearance as motivation:

"I know I'm going to be back at the level that I always wanted to be. When I look at Grant everything I know in my heart [that will happen to me] happened to him."

Knicks announced lineup for tomorrow's "forwards" ceremony and it won't include Phil Jackson, who turned down their invitation and is still in New Zealand. Names include Charles Oakley, Spencer Haywood, Willie Naulls, Kenny Walker and Gerald Wilkens.

KNICK NOTES

Pistons 97 Knicks 88
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/23/2005  6:38 AM
The Knicks need to win 20-9 games to reach .500

That's crazy.....Philly might pull off a trade that takes them over the top. Alot of things could happen.

Still if everything stays the same....having to do this would be a miricle and still no gurantee that the Knicks will make the playoffs...

So what is Isiah gonna do?

The Knicks cap woes are crazy.....

Kurt Thomas is not a bad player, actually if the Knicks were better I would hate to lose him. He needs to play center and have Sweetney start next to him.....But that will do little for this season and for the future.

KT has got to be traded for a pick. It's a no brainer. Sweetney is the future. KT will be long retired and Sweetney will still have 8-10 possible years left.

If Isiah trades KT the option of picking up a player with Timmy, or Penny's contract is still there. This is about forward movement.....Teams already in the hunt for the playoffs would kill to have KT on the team for the stretch run. I would think Houston, or San Antonio would over spend.....which would be the coveted draft pick.......even if the pick is low like 25 and lower the Knicks could still get a nice player cuz of the Euro's and all the under classmen.

KT and Vin Baker for Maurice Taylor and a first Round draft pick?

Do it Isiah!!!!

[Edited by - enyspree on 02/23/2005 08:43:42]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/23/2005  8:28 AM
Nice change from the Webber talks.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
2/23/2005  8:32 AM
Kurt will always be one of my favorite Knicks, but as I have said before he isn't taking us anywhere. If we can get a decent draft pick for him, we have to do it.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/23/2005  8:37 AM
Posted by s3231:

Kurt will always be one of my favorite Knicks, but as I have said before he isn't taking us anywhere. If we can get a decent draft pick for him, we have to do it.
If we can get a late 1st rd pick for him, I'd gladly do it. We lose nothing significant and gain a lot by giving every one of Kurt's minutes to JYD and Sweetney

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/23/2005 08:37:58]
s3231
Member: #544
USA
2/23/2005  8:48 AM
Yea I'll definitely take a late first round pick for Kurt. Trading Kurt also could us a better shot at losing more which would help us get a better lottery pick (unless Sweets just starts to dominate which actually wouldn't surprise me).
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/23/2005  9:07 AM
KT for Malik Rose/Sato/1st rd Pick

Please make it happene Zeke. Then pick up Wayne Simien, LaMarcus Aldridge or Channing Frye for that really low 1st round pick. Sato can be a good backup SG for us. He just screams John Starks. Wow. That sounded like blasphemy.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/23/2005  9:27 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:

Please make it happene Zeke. Then pick up Wayne Simien, LaMarcus Aldridge or Channing Frye for that really low 1st round pick. Sato can be a good backup SG for us. He just screams John Starks. Wow. That sounded like blasphemy.

Im thinking thats our route, but we can also turn around and try to part ways with Rose after the season if we can enhance his value.

There are a few other possibilities, but this one was a match last year. Like to se us get more value, but becuase of the back end of the contract, it wont be easy.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/23/2005  9:31 AM
great trade... really helps both teams. Sato is a VERY strong player and could also get some time at the 3 in a 3-guard rotation.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
2/23/2005  11:00 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:

Nice change from the Webber talks.

That is why I don't even bother to read Chad Ford, he lies now with consistency. He had Isiah trying to make trades in Denver for J Howard when Isiah wasn't even there (scouting college guys because he wants more young guys), had him trading for Walker, Marshall, and Rose. Ford, Isola and Breman just make up stuff. The Webber thing was a joke. Ford was made to look so bad at Denver that he had to start writing about well these teams should make these trades. I am waiting for Isiah to take the Laker job which was so reported about.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/23/2005  11:31 AM
I just hope Isiah doesn't think that Nazr is our starting center for years to come. Nazr needs to be traded by the offseason or he has to go back to his role as a good backup. The Knicks need a real center
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/23/2005  12:27 PM
Kurt was never my favorite Knicks and I will be happy to see him traded. Hopefully after tomorrow, we will be talking about a new player that we will need to hate.....As long as we get a draft pick with that deal, we will be fine......A change is necessary or needed.
The true Knickabocker..........
Isiah is trying to trade for another draft pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy