Knicks still believe they can make the playoffs
Author Thread
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
2/22/2005  11:47 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/283211p-242707c.html

Of course, the Knicks are still in the playoff hunt but they are prolly going to have to win their division and with Philly hovering around the .500 level, it's possible even if the Knicks are 21-32 but they are going to have to play some championship quality defense which is doubtful

Isiah Thomas has to be seething. HAHA
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/22/2005  12:25 PM
sure they do.. if everyone got healthy (including Houston) and started playing well they could go 20-9.

The problem is they wont, and to me going 14-15 is even worse. I would MUCH rather puke and go 8-21. If they do that they can pass Utah and move up to the #5th spot. This gives us a realistic shot at a top 3 pick. If you cant get Bogut maybe you can trade down and energive this line up.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
2/22/2005  12:38 PM
i agree Fishmike, i also see no point in the Knicks trying their best NOT to get a top lottery pick.

They need it
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/22/2005  12:38 PM
Lets say we got a top 5 or 6 pick. Would you stay where you are to get a guy like Warrick? Or would you trade down to get him? Would it matter? I am very interested in him right now, even though I haven't really seen him much.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/22/2005  12:46 PM
My view is that people are usually overly optimistic regarding what a draft pick will turn out to be. Most mid lottery picks don't turn out to be all-stars. If you can trade a mid lottery pick as part of a *package* (including expiring contracts in echanges for bad contracts) for any frontcourt player who is already a star or close to a star, I'd do it. That includes Brand, Zach Randolph, Artest, Pierce (who can easily play SF) and maybe some other players.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/22/2005  12:49 PM
I think they shouldnt bother trying to get to the post season - it will ust delay further the rebuilding process and since they messed up the first half of the season I dont see the point in continuing the mediocrity that has plagued this team since Pat Ewing left.

REBUILD
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
2/22/2005  12:51 PM
If that's the case, Isiah needs to get Lenny back here, or trade KT or Marbury soon so they don't start backing up this belief. We need this draft pick desperately.
fishmike
USA
2/22/2005  1:02 PM
I dont like Warrick with our pick... never really did. He's a guy I would trade down for however. I think he's going to fall to the late teens and you can buy picks in that area.

I do like Brigg's flavor of the week in Sheldon Williams, but who knows who will come out.

I would also love to get an extra pick and draft Louis Williams.

I would also hope by the time the draft comes along we (Isiah) should have an idea who may or may not be available via FA.

If we get a preliminary promise from Stro Swift to sign for the full MLE then why draft Sheldon Williams.. instead maybe you trade down for Louis Williams and Joey Graham.

Too many scenarios, but my goal is if I cant get Bogut or a similar franchise caliber talent I'm looking to add at least 2-3 drafted players that can energize the team.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/22/2005  1:10 PM
I think it's unrealistic to think that Stro will promise to come here for the MLE. I think he wants more money than that. why would he screw himself over as far as checking out the marker?

I think Warrick would be a solid pick in the 8-11 range, where I'm assuming we'll wind up as a result of trying to make the playoffs. I wish Zeke would tank for a top three pick, but there's still plenty of talent in this draft. In the 8-11 range, I like: Warrick, Charlie Villanueva, Shelden Williams and possibly LaMarcus Aldridge (on the fence about coming out).
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/22/2005  1:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

I dont like Warrick with our pick... never really did. He's a guy I would trade down for however. I think he's going to fall to the late teens and you can buy picks in that area.

I do like Brigg's flavor of the week in Sheldon Williams, but who knows who will come out.

I would also love to get an extra pick and draft Louis Williams.

I would also hope by the time the draft comes along we (Isiah) should have an idea who may or may not be available via FA.

If we get a preliminary promise from Stro Swift to sign for the full MLE then why draft Sheldon Williams.. instead maybe you trade down for Louis Williams and Joey Graham.

Too many scenarios, but my goal is if I cant get Bogut or a similar franchise caliber talent I'm looking to add at least 2-3 drafted players that can energize the team.

My picks in order if we are pick 6-7. Bogut, Marvin Williams, Chris Taft, S Williams `Id also be willing to trade up just a tad to get Taft. If you dont get lottery, you arent touching the first 2.
if we are left out in the dust with those 4 players then, or someone doesnt come out, id be very willing to see if we can swap the two Boston 1s+ a 2.
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
USA
2/22/2005  1:30 PM
thing with Stro is he's got a ton of flaws also, and I'm not sure what the market will be. Of the 6-7 teams with actual cap space most will use it all resigning their own FAs.

Stro is unrestricted so he's got VERY limited options in terms of other teams bidding to drive up the price. Another option would be for us to offer Nazr in a sign and trade for a Crawford type contract.
MaTT4281
Member: #538
USA
2/22/2005  1:45 PM
Another option would be for us to offer Nazr in a sign and trade for a Crawford type contract.
Trying to get a deal like that done would be my first priority this offseason, all draft related deals aside. Swift is an athletic freak I would absolutely love to get on this roster. Going into next season being able to play a lineup of Marbury/Crawford/Ariza/Sweetney/Swift plus whoever we get from the draft (still praying for that top 5 pick) would just make my year.
crzymdups
USA
2/22/2005  1:47 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Another option would be for us to offer Nazr in a sign and trade for a Crawford type contract.
Trying to get a deal like that done would be my first priority this offseason, all draft related deals aside. Swift is an athletic freak I would absolutely love to get on this roster. Going into next season being able to play a lineup of Marbury/Crawford/Ariza/Sweetney/Swift plus whoever we get from the draft (still praying for that top 5 pick) would just make my year.

I would love it if we could get a legit center in the draft and then trade Nazr for Stro. I would start Stro at the 4 and keep Sweets coming off the bench. We shall see what happens, I guess...
¿ △ ?
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
2/22/2005  2:29 PM
This is what the PLAYERS are supposed to say.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/22/2005  2:38 PM
I'm all about the playoffs.
all kool aid all the time.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/22/2005  2:56 PM
They gotta go 20-9 the rest of the way......not a chance in hell.

To do that means Isiah will have to bring in a second scorer and hope he bonds well with the team quickly. I don't see it happening.

With the rumors on Odom, Boozer, Redd, and the rest....the Knicks could put up trades just as good as the ones we've heard. We'll see.....All I know is Isiah needs to start now and make that decision to rebuild or reload.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
2/22/2005  3:00 PM
the rumors regarding these guys are god reasons NOT to trade TT/Penny this offseason. Keep them around until the next trading deadline. Then you have a real chip to teams that suck and are looking to just clear cap space for the next season. If we dont get a sweet deal then you get to watch $30mm in bad salaries ride off into the sunset.
OasisBU
Member: #257
USA
2/22/2005  3:45 PM
How many teams actually improve their roster significantly by trading expiring contracts? I'm playing devils advocate here....the Shaq trade? VC? Maybe I just dont see Penny/TT bringing us those types of players. Or even draft picks.

I think they are bargaining chips, but I think as fans of the Knicks we have overvalued a large portion of this roster.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
crzymdups
USA
2/22/2005  3:57 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

How many teams actually improve their roster significantly by trading expiring contracts? I'm playing devils advocate here....the Shaq trade? VC? Maybe I just dont see Penny/TT bringing us those types of players. Or even draft picks.

I think they are bargaining chips, but I think as fans of the Knicks we have overvalued a large portion of this roster.

uh...I believe Detroit traded expiring contracts to acquire Rasheed Wallace and win a championship. The Nets rejuvenated their franchise by getting Vince Carter for expiries. The Knicks got Marbury. It happens a lot. Washington got Antawn Jamison for expiries and the no. 5 pick. Watch someone get Baron Davis for an expiry. Expiries are good assets to have.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
2/22/2005  4:23 PM
they are good to have at a trading deadline... thats about it
Knicks still believe they can make the playoffs

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy