[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

why do i have a feeling we are going to trade for chris webber?
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
2/22/2005  11:14 AM
I think if you look at the Kings, they have some great team chemistry. Webber is a big part of their chemistry. Trading him destroys that chemistry.

I think the Kings are far more likely to trade Peja for a young stud. The Odom trade makes sense. There will be other options for them like that.

I definitely think the Kings would NOT trade Webber to NYK by the trade deadline. A time I could see this trade happening would be at the draft, where the Knicks trade the sixth pick and TT and Sweets for Webber or something like that. That trade would probably be just as bad as the Dyess trade, if not worse. But I have a little faith in Isiah, so we'll see.
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/22/2005  11:20 AM
Just for the record Webber is 31 and his contract is 3 more years so it will expire when he's 34

It all comes down to the deal, plain and simple.

KT + Penny I have to strongly consider that. If the Kings want any of our players under 30 or future picks I say no thanks.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MikeFromNY
Member: #870
2/22/2005  11:25 AM
Honestly, I don't know enough about his particular injury.

I do really like Chris Webber, though. I think he'd be a fantastic addition to this team, if he stays fairly healthy.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/22/2005  11:28 AM
Houston for Webber straight up or add a 2nd rounder from us (JVG Pick) or a KT/JYD/Moochie for Webber. Anything else would be foolish on our part.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/22/2005  11:36 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Just for the record Webber is 31 and his contract is 3 more years so it will expire when he's 34

It all comes down to the deal, plain and simple.

KT + Penny I have to strongly consider that. If the Kings want any of our players under 30 or future picks I say no thanks.

the big thing is that webber is 1 more year than houston. so instead of being under the cap or near to it in 07/08, we now have to wait till 08/09. god forbid we have $50 mil in both h20 and webber on the bench for a year or two. the only trade i think we can make is a package with houston.

man, imagine we do get webber, and then all of the sudden brand or even boozer, odom, zach or somebody like that becomes available next february - we'd be pissed.
MikeFromNY
Member: #870
2/22/2005  11:41 AM
Just something I'd like to add:

Isaih Thomas has made it clear that he doesn't feel that trying to get under the cap is a good philosphy. He has said that he will rebuild through trades and the draft, because you have much more control over what happens.

If you think about it, really....Wasting 2, 3 or 4 years trying to get under the cap in some specific year in the future, so that you can sign one really good player...then be over the cap again...well...It really doesn't sound particularly attractive to me.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/22/2005  11:47 AM
Posted by MikeFromNY:

Just something I'd like to add:

Isaih Thomas has made it clear that he doesn't feel that trying to get under the cap is a good philosphy. He has said that he will rebuild through trades and the draft, because you have much more control over what happens.

If you think about it, really....Wasting 2, 3 or 4 years trying to get under the cap in some specific year in the future, so that you can sign one really good player...then be over the cap again...well...It really doesn't sound particularly attractive to me.

Excellent point. I don't think there's a problem with acquiring draft picks and making smart trades. I do think it's stupid to take one Jalen Rose type contracts, however. So while I don't want Zeke to try to get under the cap for four years, I'd like to stay away from stupid contracts that are immovable.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/22/2005  12:09 PM
cap space is only valuable if you have at least 2 high level players still in their rookie contracts. Pho had JJ and Amare. Den had Carmello and Nene. Even the Spurs with the best 1 player in the league still had Tony Parker in his rookie contract when they used their space to sign Nesterovich.

Cap space is a great goal if you know your going to be bad for a couple years. You can draft a couple impact rookies, maybe add a nice veteran player like a Dre Miller, and in 2-3 years you have a solid young core with $20mm to spend.

The Knicks dont have that situation, even before the Marbury trade. Guys like KT/KVH/Deke/Houston/Eisley/Shandon/Spoon... as bad as they were they played hard and were still good enough to win you 35 games or so. Thats not how you draft impact rookies.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/22/2005  3:52 PM
Wow.

Some people on this board have lost it.

First its Webber is definitely going to be a Knick - who are we sending to get him? Our roster is full of junk with the exception of 4 players who still arent good enough to get Webber. So it would only happen if the Kings were dumping $$$ and I bet they can get a better return from another team who would be willing to pay Webbers contract.

The Knicks arent the only team with money, they just happen to have the highest payroll.

Then its KT + TT for CHRIS WEBBER? Are you kidding me? And there are people who wouldnt do that trade? Are you crazy? If thats on the table (which I highly doubt) then you do it.

Maybe all the cool aid from the first 3 weeks of the season has people's GM vision all fogged up.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
2/22/2005  5:57 PM
My thoughts on Webber is that he's having a great year, him and J-Kidd were 2 of the guys that were truely snubbed for the all-star game. I know C-Webb gets hurt and you can usually mark down him missing about 20 games a year before the season even starts but the guy flat out plays. I would welcome a trade of him to the Knicks becuase
1. He is the big man that the Knicks are lacking
2. The Knicks will never be under the cap, between now and the time H20s contract ends, the Knicks will add about 2-3 more bad contracts that will make it impossible to be under the cap.

Now say the Knicks do send off KT and whoever else it is involved in this deal(presumebly Tim Thomas and Penny.) That means we'd have a starting lineup of Nazr and Webber up front with Sweetney being our first big man off the bench. Nazrs #s would skyrocket with Cwebb commanding double teams in the post every time down and if Cwebb did get hurt the Knicks would have Sweetney to fill in and anyone else that Isiah drafts or signs in future years. I'd take a chance on CWebb any day of the week, him marbury and Crawford would be absolutely lethal.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/22/2005  6:38 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Wow.

Some people on this board have lost it.

First its Webber is definitely going to be a Knick - who are we sending to get him? Our roster is full of junk with the exception of 4 players who still arent good enough to get Webber. So it would only happen if the Kings were dumping $$$ and I bet they can get a better return from another team who would be willing to pay Webbers contract.

The Knicks arent the only team with money, they just happen to have the highest payroll.

Then its KT + TT for CHRIS WEBBER? Are you kidding me? And there are people who wouldnt do that trade? Are you crazy? If thats on the table (which I highly doubt) then you do it.

Maybe all the cool aid from the first 3 weeks of the season has people's GM vision all fogged up.

It's something that just doesn't make sense. I dunno.....I hope something goes down.......anyway you look at the process has to begin either way.....it should begin now and build to the off-season.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/23/2005  3:56 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/283676p-243053c.html

Webber trade talk
starts to heat up

BY DARREN EVERSON
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

AUBURN HILLS - As tomorrow's trade deadline approaches, there is no conceivable deal that can do for the Knicks what Rasheed Wallace did for the Pistons last season. There are still deals being conceived, however.

Rumors abound that the Knicks are in the running for a number of players, including Sacramento's Chris Webber. The Knicks are also said to be interested in Atlanta's Antoine Walker and Toronto's Donyell Marshall, who continues to draw interest because of his friendly, soon-to-expire contract.

Webber's pact is anything like that. His injury problems make him a huge risk for any team that might acquire him - especially the the Knicks, who would have $110 million tied up in two aging stars coming off microfracture knee surgery.

Webber (averaging 21 points and 10 rebounds) has recovered better thus far than Allan Houston. Still, trading for him would be a major departure from comments Isiah Thomas has made about being wary of acquiring injury-plagued veterans with big contracts.

A deal would also be difficult to work, since the Knicks don't have much the Kings would want. Kurt Thomas, who will ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange this morning, is a trade candidate as always because of his skills and reasonable contract, but the Knicks might have to get a third team involved to make the numbers match up.

As for Marshall, a straight-up deal would be tough because his salary is so relatively low ($5 million). Making a larger deal would likely involve taking on Jalen Rose, something the Knicks are somewhat reluctant to do.

Flashes

HILL CLIMB: Back in Detroit, and reflecting on ex-Piston teammate Grant Hill's successful comeback from injury, Allan Houston said he is convinced that he'll return to prominence as well. "I saw an interview with Grant, and he said a quote that I have in my head all the time," Houston said. "And that is, 'I always believed that I can get better.' I know a lot of people are questioning me and doubting me and criticizing me, but there will be a day - I know it - that I'll be saying the same thing."

Originally published on February 23, 2005
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
2/23/2005  4:05 AM
Posted by Rich:

Flashes

HILL CLIMB: Back in Detroit, and reflecting on ex-Piston teammate Grant Hill's successful comeback from injury, Allan Houston said he is convinced that he'll return to prominence as well. "I saw an interview with Grant, and he said a quote that I have in my head all the time," Houston said. "And that is, 'I always believed that I can get better.' I know a lot of people are questioning me and doubting me and criticizing me, but there will be a day - I know it - that I'll be saying the same thing."

Originally published on February 23, 2005

I know H20 is a nice guy and all, but b4 Hill went down with his injury he was easily ALL NBA Top-5 material if H20 comes back at his best it's what, a 16-17 ppg 1 rebound 1 ast 2 guard?
why do i have a feeling we are going to trade for chris webber?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy