[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

So I broke out my stash of NBA All Star Weekend tapes and....
Author Thread
NewYorkSoul
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #855
Canada
2/20/2005  3:34 AM
I started with the 1994 Slam Dunk Contest.... and I saw none other than our very own Allan Houston competing!! Does anyone remember this? What crackhead invited Allan Houston to the Slam Dunk contest??

But in all honesty, watching him throw it down made me feel sad to see how far he has fallen since his rookie year
David f'n Lee for President!!
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/20/2005  3:43 AM
Yeah it's really too bad about his knees. i think he'd be an incredible player right now if he were healthy. I think he'd be a real efficient scorer, spread the D, have career-high assists, everything. He'd make a huge difference for this team. Oh well, what are you gonna do? I don't even see him anymore on those commercials going door-to-door selling some phone crap (always imagined him stopping by Silver's house )
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/20/2005  7:21 AM
Houston in the slam dunk contest!!?!?! More proof that he stopped driving, passing, rebounding, defending and dunking after he signed that contract. I actually dont remember him dunking that much after he came to the Knicks so I cant hold that against him. How the **** are you gonna dunk if you stand 20 ft from the basket and shoot jump shots all day!

Marv: I really doubt he would be an "incredible player" if he wasnt injured. I think he would be more like an incredible jumpshooter. Nothing wrong with that though. Believe it or not, I have a few Allan Houston posters. If Houston ever stopped by my house I would ask him to sign it. Trust me, I would also ask him to drive, pass, defend, rebound and dunk a little more.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/20/2005  10:08 AM
I bet you'd ask him to hold still too so you could operate on that knee!
CaZeek
Member: #845
2/20/2005  10:46 AM
Yeah, he did that around the back off the backboard pass thing right?
Silverfuel
USA
2/20/2005  10:48 AM
Posted by Marv:

I bet you'd ask him to hold still too so you could operate on that knee!
I would fix that knee in one second.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/20/2005  11:40 AM
"Things that make you go 'huh'?"
I never thought I'd see Allan's name ever associated with a dunk contest.
Got to go web surfing and see if I can find some old pics of that.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/20/2005  12:03 PM
I watched the 2001 All-Star tape a while back. It was a mistake. In one sequence at the end of the third quarter, McDyess almost jumped out of the building on a dunk. His hand was over the box. Man, the guy could leap back in the day.
¿ △ ?
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/20/2005  12:12 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:

"Things that make you go 'huh'?"
I never thought I'd see Allan's name ever associated with a dunk contest.
Got to go web surfing and see if I can find some old pics of that.

Here is one of Houston elevating (copy and paste link)

http://allan20houston.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/dunk.jpg

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 02/20/2005 13:03:18]
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
2/20/2005  12:22 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Houston in the slam dunk contest!!?!?! More proof that he stopped driving, passing, rebounding, defending and dunking after he signed that contract. I actually dont remember him dunking that much after he came to the Knicks so I cant hold that against him. How the **** are you gonna dunk if you stand 20 ft from the basket and shoot jump shots all day!

Marv: I really doubt he would be an "incredible player" if he wasnt injured. I think he would be more like an incredible jumpshooter. Nothing wrong with that though. Believe it or not, I have a few Allan Houston posters. If Houston ever stopped by my house I would ask him to sign it. Trust me, I would also ask him to drive, pass, defend, rebound and dunk a little more.

Hahahahahaa that was my exact reaction! HOUSTON IN THE DUNK CONTEST!! I gotta see some of that footage!
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/20/2005  1:46 PM
I think I have seen allan dunk all of 5 times in my life. Although he use to drive to the basket much more consistant a few years ago, dunking was never part of his game.

Right now I would settle for that pretty jump shot at 48%, this team is horrendous against the zone.
ES
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
2/20/2005  1:48 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

I think I have seen allan dunk all of 5 times in my life. Although he use to drive to the basket much more consistant a few years ago, dunking was never part of his game.

Right now I would settle for that pretty jump shot at 48%, this team is horrendous against the zone.

actually houston's career FG% is 44% not 48
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/20/2005  2:05 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by knicks1248:

actually houston's career FG% is 44% not 48

During his first 2 or 3 years with the Knicks, he had a lot of dunks, but then his game completely began to revolve around his J, which is fine with me. If he had a post presence or penetrating guard while he was healthy (Post Ewing) he'd be a 48% shooter consistently. But while he was healthy and without Marbury, he had to face all of those doubles and the teams best defenders. Hence, 44%. That my friend, is also why you see guys like Kobe with a low% this year, and don't tell me to not compare Houston to Kobe, b/c I am not. I am just making a point.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
CaZeek
2/20/2005  2:36 PM
I remember a few dunks in particular from Allan.. once I think was a regular season game on NBC against the Heat and the first posession of the game, Houston got the ball in deep in the paint (about 3 feet from the basket), but whoever was defending him was right on him. Houston just jumped right up and slammed it on his head with one hand.. I was thinking "what the hell was that?". Another was a regular season game against the Magic or Raptors w/ Tracy McGrady, and Houston got the ball from the wing, took a few dribbles and just dunked on T-Mac with one hand. Lastly, there was one play where the Knicks had just scored (I forget against whom), 4 Knicks were under the other team's basket, the inbounder just through the ball right to Houston, so he was wide open with 3 Knicks surrounding him. I was expecting some little layup or something, and he jumped from a foot or two in front of the foul line and threw down a Sprewell-like tomahawk with two hands. Other than that, I remember one here and there, but those were the ones that stick out in my mind.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
2/20/2005  3:08 PM
Posted by CaZeek:

I remember a few dunks in particular from Allan.. once I think was a regular season game on NBC against the Heat and the first posession of the game, Houston got the ball in deep in the paint (about 3 feet from the basket), but whoever was defending him was right on him. Houston just jumped right up and slammed it on his head with one hand.. I was thinking "what the hell was that?". Another was a regular season game against the Magic or Raptors w/ Tracy McGrady, and Houston got the ball from the wing, took a few dribbles and just dunked on T-Mac with one hand. Lastly, there was one play where the Knicks had just scored (I forget against whom), 4 Knicks were under the other team's basket, the inbounder just through the ball right to Houston, so he was wide open with 3 Knicks surrounding him. I was expecting some little layup or something, and he jumped from a foot or two in front of the foul line and threw down a Sprewell-like tomahawk with two hands. Other than that, I remember one here and there, but those were the ones that stick out in my mind.
who would've thought?
http://allknicks.com
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/20/2005  3:50 PM
yeah, houston had some ups. i remembered the alley-oop dunk sprewell threw to houston in the '99 playoff series versus the hawks. the dunk on miami was over dan marjele. here is one fact i heard. when houston was with detroit, they said he had a higher vertical leap than grant hill. go figure.
CaZeek
2/20/2005  4:03 PM
Yeah, I remember reading somthing about him being the state champion for high-jumping on track in his high-school (or something like that).
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
2/20/2005  4:49 PM
he did track and field stuff during high school and college, specializing in the high jump.
http://allknicks.com
Silverfuel
USA
2/20/2005  6:39 PM
All those drives and dunks in the paint came before he singed that contract. After that, he pretty much stuck to shooting jumpshots from the outside at 44%. Stopped trying IMO.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
2/20/2005  6:49 PM
I hate Houston's game, too, but this is getting a little ridiculous.

I mean, cmon, you really think he was like, "Aight, I got my big contract, from this day on, I shall not dunk, rebound, pass or play defense”?

How about he just never was a passer, rebounded, defender, and that his jumping ability deteriorated with minor injuries to his legs that he has had ever since the 99 season.

It’s not Houston's fault for being garbage, it’s our GM's fault for giving that garbage a franchise player deal.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
So I broke out my stash of NBA All Star Weekend tapes and....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy