[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

SI: Marbury Most Overrated player
Author Thread
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
2/18/2005  10:38 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/kelly_dwyer/02/18/worsts2/index.html
my question is, how can he be overrated when everyone hates him?
sorry if this has been posted already, i did a quick scan and didn't see anyone post it...
---
Heading into this season, most right-thinking individuals didn't think much of Stephon Marbury as a franchise talent. His inability to impact a game in a positive fashion without having to dominate the ball has frustrated the life out of the four franchises (and the nine coaches) that he's played with during his nine-year career. But the fact that Marbury thinks he is the league's best point guard, his boss Isiah Thomas agrees with him and that he is resolute enough in his beliefs to announce it to the media is enough for us: Stephon Marbury is the most overrated player in the NBA.

The Knicks have been slapped around quite a bit this year by the league and by the media, but they do have talent -- mismatched, limited and overpaid talent -- but talent nevertheless. While questionable coaching and nagging injuries have put a ceiling on just what this talent could achieve in '04-05, nothing has hurt their chances more than Marbury's astonishing sense of self-worth.

Though Marbury's confidence took a hit after his Phoenix team got off to a pitiful start in '03-04, the trade to New York and the establishment of his too-close relationship with Thomas got the Starbury Train right back on the wrong track. Thomas exacerbated the situation by encouraging Marbury to take over Larry Brown's reeling USA Basketball squad during the Olympics, resulting in a 21 and 32 start to this season. Though Marbury's usage statistics have actually improved in comparison to last season, defenses know all about hounding his right hand and understand even more about how Marbury refuses to feed the right teammates at the right time. It is time to stop expecting Marbury to take over basketball games on his own and try to figure out just what sort of players this guy can win with.

If you can think of any, rest assured, Thomas probably won't trade for them. He's got to lock up Eddie Robinson first.
http://allknicks.com
AUTOADVERT
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
2/19/2005  12:04 AM
can't understand why star's self opinion earned this overrating by the media...seems like media find another way to say knicks suck
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/19/2005  1:12 AM
this is and will be a reality for years to come... its ALWAYS been this way. Browse ESPN, CNN-SI or any other major media source. When you lack an interesting story trash NY. Why Randy Johnson is going to fail and the Yankees will implode (and everyone will be happy). Why Giambi somehow got more attention then Bonds. Why the Knicks are in last place but get more stories written about them then the Spurs or Sonics do.

Ewing went through this, Riley did when he was in NY, Eli Manning has had his fair share, etc etc etc

There has always been an anti NY sentinment among much of the national media.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/19/2005  4:26 AM
He will be overrated until, like Wade or Kobe, he gets to play with someone like Shaq. Then he will be underrated.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/19/2005  8:51 AM
I'd have to say Yao is the most overrated. Mediocre season, top all star vote getter. Too many Chinese people been watching NBA past 3 years.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/19/2005  11:01 AM
By the tone of the article, I think this author has an overrated sense of himself.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/19/2005  11:02 AM
Posted by MaTT4281:

I'd have to say Yao is the most overrated. Mediocre season, top all star vote getter. Too many Chinese people been watching NBA past 3 years.

I'll just comment on the lesser of the ignorant statements in that. The Rockets are 32-21 now. Yao is averaging 19 and 9 for the season on about 13 shots a game with a 54% fg% as well as about 2 blocks a game. No, he does not play that ferocious, like we all want him to, but if you consider numbers like that overrated, then you're not paying attention. McGrady is by far the best player on the team, but there is a reason the Rockets are 32-21 in the West, and T-Macs Magic teams were about a little over .500 in the weak East, at best (Besides last year) and don't tell me it's all b/c of Bob Sura and Jeff Van Gundy. Yao may not be putting up 25 and 13 (Who the hell does?) but he's still having a very good season and deserves to be in the all star game, regardless of how many votes he recieved.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/19/2005  11:31 AM
Posted by martin:

By the tone of the article, I think this author has an overrated sense of himself.

haha good point!

you too Allanfan20 good points. what you said is so true. Houston is not 32-21 just cause they have Mcgrady.
MaTT4281
USA
2/19/2005  12:01 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

I'll just comment on the lesser of the ignorant statements in that. The Rockets are 32-21 now. Yao is averaging 19 and 9 for the season on about 13 shots a game with a 54% fg% as well as about 2 blocks a game. No, he does not play that ferocious, like we all want him to, but if you consider numbers like that overrated, then you're not paying attention. McGrady is by far the best player on the team, but there is a reason the Rockets are 32-21 in the West, and T-Macs Magic teams were about a little over .500 in the weak East, at best (Besides last year) and don't tell me it's all b/c of Bob Sura and Jeff Van Gundy. Yao may not be putting up 25 and 13 (Who the hell does?) but he's still having a very good season and deserves to be in the all star game, regardless of how many votes he recieved.
Okay, you're right. My previous post was just plain ignorance. I remembered Yao starting off mediocre, but never bothered to check the updated numbers since Houston has put things together.
My only real problem with Yao is, as you mentioned, his ferocity or intensity. I originally thought that Amare was listed as C on the ballets since he moved there for Phoenix, but he was listed as F. Another guy I thought deserved to be selected was Brad Miller, but with the way it appears Yao has adjusted this season, he does deserve to start.
Do I still think Yao is overrated? Yes, but since things have been cleared up a little more, I don't consider as overrated as I did earlier. Sorry I got my facts messed up, but hey, ignorance is bliss.
Masterplan
Member: #362
2/19/2005  12:28 PM
so the difference between marbury being overrated and yao being overrated is the team's recods? that's probably legitimate. marbury puts up great numbers, but the knicks stink. they play in teh weakest division of the weaker conference... it's still a tough comparison because yao has mcgrady to help him contend with the better West teams.

i think yao is overrated. his numbers are good, but not amazing, and his impact on the game isn't consistently high for someone who gets so much hype. i feel like his height makes up for the deficiencies in attitude and his game rather than taking him to a whole new level. he's still learning and playing pretty damn well, but he's got a lot to prove consistently to justify the shaq rivalry people want to play up.
teslawlo
USA
2/19/2005  1:13 PM
LOL, interesting to see how fast this degenerated into a Marbury vs Yao debate
Allanfan20
USA
2/19/2005  2:01 PM
Sorry for being kinda rude Matt. Had a crumby night.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/19/2005  2:56 PM
Good article.
MaTT4281
USA
2/19/2005  4:26 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Sorry for being kinda rude Matt. Had a crumby night.

Hey no problem. After living with two sisters, I can take any kinda criticism pretty well. Atleast here it's only when I deserve it .
Allanfan20
USA
2/19/2005  4:38 PM
2 sisters, mom, aunt and grandma with a father living in the city, over here.
PooPooPrince
Member: #719
2/19/2005  5:21 PM
One other thing is that both played big minutes in the Olympics.
They've had no rest and almost no time for conditioning.

Also TD and his stats have suffered a bit because of playing big minutes. AI is the only one who can keep up staistically this season. Ai's is not only a warrior, he's a machine.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/20/2005  9:29 AM
The ony thing that going to take care of Marbury's overrated label is winning.The writer makes some fair criticisms but goes overboard in singling Marbury out when there are players with bigger mouths and alot less talent.

Unfortunately Marbury brought this on himself with that "Im the best PG in the league" comment.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/20/2005  10:11 AM
In today's Times AI says he has no problem with Steph claiming he's the best PG. Except I'm really the best, AI claims. it's all fooling around, and I think people overreacted to Steph's claim cause they just plain don't like him.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/20/2005  10:51 AM
Posted by Marv:

In today's Times AI says he has no problem with Steph claiming he's the best PG. Except I'm really the best, AI claims. it's all fooling around, and I think people overreacted to Steph's claim cause they just plain don't like him.
I agree. People made a big deal out of nothing. Another thing people dont remember is that the press asked him who the best PG in the NBA is? Its not like he volunteered the PG rankings in the NBA, he merely told them who he thought was the best.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
teslawlo
USA
2/20/2005  10:46 PM
Exactly, it's like people are purposely being ignorant to the fact that the comment was taken out of context. It is obvious that, without a doubt, steph only meant to say that you have to think you're the best in order to play like you're #1. What are you supposed to do, go out there against somehow who is better than you in front of 20,000 people and make sure your opponent manages to score more than you because he's SUPPOSED to be better than you? It's ridiculous and an enormous amount of steph hating has been going on. But it's true, you gotta have thick skin if you're a Knick.
SI: Marbury Most Overrated player

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy