[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

marc berman must read these forums
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/18/2005  10:19 AM
February 18, 2005 -- LET'S drink some Knicks Kool-Aid and imagine they can make a playoff push after the All-Star Break, beginning Tuesday in Detroit. With 29 games left, the Knicks need to go at least 20-9. That would give them a .500 record, a chance at the feeble Atlantic Division title or eighth seed.
Here's a five-point plan Herb Williams and Isiah Thomas should follow to get the Knicks to finish with dignity.

1. MAKE JAMAL CO-PG: Jamal Crawford has been ridiculed for poor shot selection but he's playing out of position, forced to the wing as shooting guard with limited room to operate his Earl Monroe jukes. This is a sticky issue because of Stephon Marbury's ego. But in their season's most lopsided win Wednesday, the Knicks slaughtered the Bucks in the fourth quarter, 28-14, with Crawford at PG and Marbury on the bench. Marbury logs too many minutes, and because he's always muscling into the lane on penetrations, has nothing left in the final two minutes and is partly to blame for their fourth-quarter disasters. Marbury recently finally sounds agreeable. "Jamal's actually a scoring point guard," Marbury said. "The Lakers won their championships, they didn't have a point guard."

2. MAKE SWEETNEY A STARTER: Nazr Mohammed had a super five-week stretch in late November/December but is playing with a sore groin and not getting it done. Sweetney showed the monster he can be Wednesday on the offensive glass. Williams loves Sweetney's post game, knows he's his only big man with one. Move Kurt Thomas to center where he excelled two years ago. Thomas/Sweetney is a unit that often finishes so why not start them. It gives them more toughness.

3. COAX ALLAN'S RETURN: Allan Houston's new mantra is he wants his left knee 100-percent strong before returning. That might not be until mid-March, when it's too late. He's on a new rehab program, but admitted he's capable of playing, just not at All-Star caliber. It's not about the pain. Isiah must approach Houston and ask for 10 minutes a night. Swallow the ego, Allan. Houston broke down last month because he played 30-plus minutes too soon. If Houston can give 10 minutes, they wouldn't have to play Moochie Norris or Jamison Brewer.

4. GRAB A BENCH SEAT, ISIAH: Thomas is doing tons more college scouting this year because he has a first-round pick, so he rarely travels with the team. With the club in desperate straits, needing a powerful final thrust, Thomas should take a seat besides Herb on the bench, serve as an assistant. The Knicks are down one assistant after Williams' promotion. If leadership is Isiah's strong suit, they can use it now in the trenches, not the board room.

5. CANCEL THE PHIL, LARRY, FLIP SHOW: Thomas has done little to stop speculative pieces about the Knicks next coach. You don't need to give Williams an extension but at least make it seem you're taking a hard look at him for the permanent job. Here's some advice, Isiah: When Phil Jackson returns from New Zealand, don't meet him at the airport with roses and a stretch limo.

hey, it's not like it takes a brain surgeon to figure this out but those have been the overwhelming moves that have been suggested by knicks fans for the past 1 1/2 months.

it's funny b/c from time to time, berman puts out good stuff. on the other hand, isola is a blitthering idiot. i have yet to read one article from him that wasn't pure speculation.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 02/18/2005 10:26:20]
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/18/2005  10:53 AM
Sweetney should be starting after the trade deadline whether Kurt is here or not. I don't mind if they want to keep Kurt's stats up before the deadline to try to move him. But even if they can't move him, then you've gotta play the better player, which is Mike, especially when that player is ten years younger and has far more upside.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
2/18/2005  11:00 AM
That's pretty funny.

Now we need Berman to campaign for Josh Boone to come out.

1) I agree completely about making Jamal a co-PG. That's part of why I was so excited when we got him. He's a great play-maker. Herb has already started making Jamal more of a distributor, let's hope it continues.

2) I agree about starting Sweetney. Nazr is just killing himself out there right now, he needs a rest. (and, DUH, we should sign Jamal Sampson to be the backup for Sweets and Kurt while Nazr rests)

3) If the goal is really to try for the playoffs, then I agree. But if they're going to use him for more than 20 minutes, it's stupid.

4) I disagree with this. People already have too many ideas about Zeke taking over as head coach. Travel with the team, sure, but don't start acting like a coach.

5) I agree with this somewhat. Herb should be given a chance and he is doing an admirable job keeping the team together. But I think if there's a chance to bring Phil JAx in here, star-phuching though it may be, you have to TRY. Also, Flip wouldn't be a horrible idea. Screw Larry Brown. That guy couldn't figure out how to use Amare, Lebron, Melo and Wade during the Olympics? Why do people respect this idiot? Detroit got lucky last spring and got to play three teams in a row hurting from injuries in the East and then watched the Lakers selfishly self-destruct. The Pistons are a good team, but Brown is totally over-rated. I hate him.

Isiah needs to make Herb a real candidate for the job with Phil and Flip. If Herb can get the team to play defense and get Marbs to buy into a system where Jamal runs the point half the time, I say Herb will have proved himself. If anyone can get THIS team to play defense, they deserve to be coach of the year.
¿ △ ?
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/18/2005  11:15 AM
He definitely just summed up the board sentiment...if he said go after dalembart (sp?) or Brand in the offseason or said draft bogat (sp?) then I'm positive marc berman is one of you guys. (fish, briggs, djsync...one of you guys)

If they did all of those things, SECOND ROUND v. MIAMI BABY!!!

First round, we upset our new arch enemy the Sixers! Or we take the baby bulls to 6. (hey, I can dream)
all kool aid all the time.
MS
Member: #724
2/18/2005  11:59 AM
I like the general idea of the article,

Crawford needs to rest before taking over at point, so i would like to see

Steph, Ariza, Williams, Sweetney, Thomas/Naz when that happens

And then bring in Crawford with

Craw/Penny/Tim/Sweets/Naz that would create a few match-up problems for the second teams.....

We need to be showcasing all of Crawfords talents so teams can get a look at him, and possible offer us a big man......

The mid-level is going to be very exciting this summer, and a huge part of what the team is trying to do.......
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/18/2005  12:37 PM
Posted by MS:

The mid-level is going to be very exciting this summer, and a huge part of what the team is trying to do.......

I think it's far more likely that they'll offer a sign and trade for either Kwame Brown or Stromile Swift this summer. Sure, they'll chase guys with the MLE, but unless its guys like Gadzuric and Stephen Hunter or POSSIBLY Antoine Walker, they aren't getting anyone helpful.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/18/2005  1:44 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

That's pretty funny.

Now we need Berman to campaign for Josh Boone to come out.

1) I agree completely about making Jamal a co-PG. That's part of why I was so excited when we got him. He's a great play-maker. Herb has already started making Jamal more of a distributor, let's hope it continues.

2) I agree about starting Sweetney. Nazr is just killing himself out there right now, he needs a rest. (and, DUH, we should sign Jamal Sampson to be the backup for Sweets and Kurt while Nazr rests)

3) If the goal is really to try for the playoffs, then I agree. But if they're going to use him for more than 20 minutes, it's stupid.

4) I disagree with this. People already have too many ideas about Zeke taking over as head coach. Travel with the team, sure, but don't start acting like a coach.

5) I agree with this somewhat. Herb should be given a chance and he is doing an admirable job keeping the team together. But I think if there's a chance to bring Phil JAx in here, star-phuching though it may be, you have to TRY. Also, Flip wouldn't be a horrible idea. Screw Larry Brown. That guy couldn't figure out how to use Amare, Lebron, Melo and Wade during the Olympics? Why do people respect this idiot? Detroit got lucky last spring and got to play three teams in a row hurting from injuries in the East and then watched the Lakers selfishly self-destruct. The Pistons are a good team, but Brown is totally over-rated. I hate him.

Isiah needs to make Herb a real candidate for the job with Phil and Flip. If Herb can get the team to play defense and get Marbs to buy into a system where Jamal runs the point half the time, I say Herb will have proved himself. If anyone can get THIS team to play defense, they deserve to be coach of the year.

Don't worry, Josh Boone isn't coming out. Just read a little bit about him and you will understand why, plus his mother has already taken out a maximum insurance policy, as has CV and Rudy Gay. So they can develop and stay at their choice without fear of injury. Josh is staying because he is on pace to finish his degree. he's not much different from ok4 in tersm of intelligence, he had a 1300+ SAT and is on the 3 year plan.

Jamal needs to get stronger, the Knicks need another solid PG so Craw can play combo. Right now with the way Penny is playing, they are pretty much set for next year since Penny has another maximum contract year, why not get the value out of him? Im confident that we will find a younger G who can play a nice role here. thats probably down on the need list, because those types you can get.

I think our primary needs is a power 3 man who can defend and a post player. Pretty much anything to upgrade 3-4-5, that is the priority.

Again, I hope we can do what we can to try to get another 1st round pick--perhaps 2 to expedite the process.

Im pretty much set at this point as

A-win the lottery and pick Bogut-no possible trade
B-win spot 2-3 would have to wait to see who is actually coming out
C- draft position 6-10 Either Sheldan Williams, Chris Taft or Joey Graham or better yet, we acquire a pick and are able to bring in 2 of them. My picks would be Graham and Williams.
D-attempt to acquire a speed G like Guilermo Diaz or Louis Williams

Im pretty much hoping that we have something like what the Bulls had, 3-4 high caliber rookies who can energize the team.
you know spend some extra $$$$ on teams willing to sell their pick, there are always a few, or offer up picks down the line for one today.
RIP Crushalot😞
Masterplan
Member: #362
2/18/2005  5:34 PM
i'm convinced what needs to happen over the next few years is we have to replace old, big (max) money players with cheap rookie, minimum, or exception players. probably it will have to happen through attrition, letting TT, penny, kurt, moochie expire, houston retire (maybe). i'm against trading more than one, possibly two for longer term players. expiring contracts do have a market, but only for players with significant question marks. it's not worth it.

my vision of the knicks in a few years is a payroll and salaries clsoer to comparable to the league average. we can afford an extra max player or MLE+ guy, but we need lots of cheap talent with something on the line, something to prove. we need a set of contracts of all sizes so we can have maximum trade flexibility to balance the roster. replacing those players i mentioned with young guys with potential, drafted or signed to smallish deals, all making the MLE or (much) less, is the way we have to go to make a team that will be competitive.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/19/2005  1:28 AM
personally when I read Isiah was scouting college games instead of palling around w/ GMs in Denver it made me happy. Last year he had to focus on the roster because he was hired late in the season. This year he can scout and we all know he's a GREAT talent evaluator. We also know what he wants he tends to get in terms of resources. Isiah spending a mill here or a mill there to get extra picks is chump change for us. Its also a good way to circumvent the system. Every year teams dump picks either for cap space or just cash.

As for the MLE this year it will be a pretty hot market. There will be even fewer teams with cap space and you will have a VERY solid opportunity to get a guy like Walker, Kwame or Swift, where as last year you would probably have no shot
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
marc berman must read these forums

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy