[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mike Sweetney--in the position he should be-6th man
Author Thread
DefAndReb
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #336
2/17/2005  5:13 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:

That's not true at all. Actually just the opposite occurs, most guys rated high on draft rarely make it. See your line of Duke, Michigan, Indiana, Syracuse players, and UK players if you don't believe me. "The Next comings". They never arrive. Then NBA GMs recognize this and well international "can't miss; give him time; more fundamentals" players were the flavor for the new NBA superstar, then the HS thing. I mean it is rare that a player ever lives up to the superstar hype.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here. Guys who are superstars right now (Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, Lebron, McGrady, Yao) were pegged as superstars before they ever got into the NBA. I'm not saying there aren't hyped guys who bomb, but those guys get hyped RIGHT BEFORE the draft, not a year, two years before.

I'm also not saying you automatically get a superstar with a top-3 pick (Kobe, McGrady, Garnett were picked 13,9,5 respectively - KMart, Joe Smith and Kandi were number ones). I'm saying you're chances increase greatly, assuming your GM knows what he's doing, and that the Knicks need to be in a position to draft someone who is as sure a bet as a bet can be. It's always a gamble, nothing is a lock. But I think Garnett got picked so low because at the time on one wanted to wait what they thought would be 4 or 5 seasons for him to be mature physically. GS picked Joe Smith (cough) who was not being hyped as a big deal for the future, but Garnett was, and I mean hyped a long time in advance.

There's a difference between draft-day media hype and long-term media coverage of a player when he's still a HS underslassman. I've yet to see a kid who was followed as an NBA prospect through HS bomb out. Chamberlain, Alcindor, Ewing, Lebron - all those kids were on network news, NOT sports news, mind you, but general interest news, well before they were drafted.

Kwame Brown, on the other hand, I'd never heard of him until he got selected number one. I was like "who? I haven't seen any stories about him on TV." Same with Jonathan Bender. Again, a lot of guys get picked high, then the bottom drops out, like you're saying, and a lot of guys picked low-first, or in the second, make a career of it, but those guys are rarely superstars, and the Knicks need to shoot for the moon, not another McDyess or Sweetney.

Do I think Sweetney's solid? Yes. Do I think he could be a starter someday? Why not! Do I think he'll blossom into Charles Barkley? nnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooo. not a chance, and why do i think that? Because he's in his second year, and has not dominated a single game or managed to earn the playing time a guy like Barkley did when he was a first and second year player. And, yes, maybe, just maybe, Sweetney gets to his third year and turns into a monster, but how often does that happen?! Ben Wallace is the only guy I can think of who improved that drastically that late (maybe McGrady, to some degree) Point is you bet it, use the odds. Odds are, Sweetney will have a long career, but so has Spoon.

AUTOADVERT
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
2/17/2005  5:31 PM
^ I pretty much agree with defandreb's above post... the mid to late first rounders that turn into superstars are result of some nice drafting skills and a little luck. The higher the pick, obviously the norm is that you get a better player.
http://allknicks.com
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
2/17/2005  5:40 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by Pharzeone:

That's not true at all. Actually just the opposite occurs, most guys rated high on draft rarely make it. See your line of Duke, Michigan, Indiana, Syracuse players, and UK players if you don't believe me. "The Next comings". They never arrive. Then NBA GMs recognize this and well international "can't miss; give him time; more fundamentals" players were the flavor for the new NBA superstar, then the HS thing. I mean it is rare that a player ever lives up to the superstar hype.

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here. Guys who are superstars right now (Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, Iverson, Lebron, McGrady, Yao) were pegged as superstars before they ever got into the NBA. I'm not saying there aren't hyped guys who bomb, but those guys get hyped RIGHT BEFORE the draft, not a year, two years before.

I'm also not saying you automatically get a superstar with a top-3 pick (Kobe, McGrady, Garnett were picked 13,9,5 respectively - KMart, Joe Smith and Kandi were number ones). I'm saying you're chances increase greatly, assuming your GM knows what he's doing, and that the Knicks need to be in a position to draft someone who is as sure a bet as a bet can be. It's always a gamble, nothing is a lock. But I think Garnett got picked so low because at the time on one wanted to wait what they thought would be 4 or 5 seasons for him to be mature physically. GS picked Joe Smith (cough) who was not being hyped as a big deal for the future, but Garnett was, and I mean hyped a long time in advance.

There's a difference between draft-day media hype and long-term media coverage of a player when he's still a HS underslassman. I've yet to see a kid who was followed as an NBA prospect through HS bomb out. Chamberlain, Alcindor, Ewing, Lebron - all those kids were on network news, NOT sports news, mind you, but general interest news, well before they were drafted.

Kwame Brown, on the other hand, I'd never heard of him until he got selected number one. I was like "who? I haven't seen any stories about him on TV." Same with Jonathan Bender. Again, a lot of guys get picked high, then the bottom drops out, like you're saying, and a lot of guys picked low-first, or in the second, make a career of it, but those guys are rarely superstars, and the Knicks need to shoot for the moon, not another McDyess or Sweetney.

Do I think Sweetney's solid? Yes. Do I think he could be a starter someday? Why not! Do I think he'll blossom into Charles Barkley? nnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooo. not a chance, and why do i think that? Because he's in his second year, and has not dominated a single game or managed to earn the playing time a guy like Barkley did when he was a first and second year player. And, yes, maybe, just maybe, Sweetney gets to his third year and turns into a monster, but how often does that happen?! Ben Wallace is the only guy I can think of who improved that drastically that late (maybe McGrady, to some degree) Point is you bet it, use the odds. Odds are, Sweetney will have a long career, but so has Spoon.

How do we know, what Sweetney is...I would like to see him get starts like Ariza got starts. It is hard to image that Ariza has more career starts than Sweets. I mean come on, you know what you have in KT, he can't post up, he can hit the open jumper, and he can match up with a more than moderate offensive minded PF. But what drives me mad about KT is that rare that he has an all around game. I mean he is a jumpshooting PF, who never gets to the foul line. Sweets is aggressive in the post, I mean he can control a tempo of the game like that. Something we haven't done since # 33. I would like to see this kid get 36 minutes a nite for awhile not this 18 minutes stuff, because it only makes him look freakish with his pts to minutes.

I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
2/17/2005  5:50 PM
I don't want to write Sweetney off just yet. Most guys who get drafted and immediately turn into superstars don't have to sit behind a logjam of other players in their same position. They also don't lose their father during their first NBA training camp all too often either.

Not to mention, didn't some kid named Zach Randolph blossom in his 3rd year when he was given a real chance to shine?

I'll admit Sweetney has less of a chance of turning into a 20-10 powerhouse than he does to turn into a solid 6th man, but just because he doesn't fit the exact mold of all superstar players doesn't mean that we know for sure that he won't be.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/17/2005  5:58 PM
Posted by Pharzeone:
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by Pharzeone:

How do we know, what Sweetney is...I would like to see him get starts like Ariza got starts. It is hard to image that Ariza has more career starts than Sweets. I mean come on, you know what you have in KT, he can't post up, he can hit the open jumper, and he can match up with a more than moderate offensive minded PF. But what drives me mad about KT is that rare that he has an all around game. I mean he is a jumpshooting PF, who never gets to the foul line. Sweets is aggressive in the post, I mean he can control a tempo of the game like that. Something we haven't done since # 33. I would like to see this kid get 36 minutes a nite for awhile not this 18 minutes stuff, because it only makes him look freakish with his pts to minutes.

The NBA has changed quite dramatically since the Ewing days. It's more like a future's market. Many of the premiere players are from other countries + HS kids. Except for a few Hoop junkies, I'd bet no one knew who Andrew Bogut was before mid point of this season. How about Amare Stoudemire? The Knicks didn't even work him out. The problem is the Knicks haven't changed with the times, they don't have a style of play and they think that guys like Antonie Walker or Jalen Rose are the missing piece. It's the same thing with the Rangers. And thats why they sck every year.

the Knicks were good because they had built a core team anchored by Ewing and management made some key finds and trades to keep it going.

Since that time they have tried to escape the cyclical nature of the basketball business, like they still are today.
What this team needs is what the Bulls had last year, they need to get into position to draft MULTIPLE players who fit into a system and give this stale POS franchise some life. It couldn't be run any worse for the amount that they have spent even if monkeys were at the helm.

Relying on other teams castoffs is expensive and stupid. Build your own team, create a style of play and draft guys who can play the style. I don't think Detroit has any real superstar player, what they have are players who have great synergy and toughness. We have NONE.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/17/2005  7:17 PM
Relying on other teams castoffs is expensive and stupid.
Aren't you the same poster who wanted Ron Artest?
Mike Sweetney--in the position he should be-6th man

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy