[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mike Sweetney--in the position he should be-6th man
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/17/2005  12:13 PM
I think I can classify Mike Sweetney as a high caliber 6th man and I think thats how he should stay. he has the capabilities to start if needed, but I think this is the right position for him for the next couple of years and maybe beyond. The position fits him because he can play very well against the opponenets second line players and keep that momentum against the first line[sounds like hockey:>)]
Because of where he plays, right under the basket, hes always going to be a high foul guy. He's not that good on the D, not bad, but longer guys have no problems with him. I dont want him to lose that much weight, maybe 10 pounds, because he uses that bodyweight to his advatage. Maybe shedding 10 and getting down to a legit 6-7 265 would be perfect for him.

The other thing is is I would like him to do what he did at georgetown and use his face up jumper with more confidence. If anyone ever notices, he hits a high % FT and a lOT of them. he should be able to move out just a bit at times to hit that 14 footer with regularity.

I have thought a few times, well, if were not going to use the player, why not trade him--like with Curry--which I would still do:)>, but like I said Im very comfortable keeping him and really unless something knocks our socks off, he should be penciled in as the Knicks 6th man for the next 10 years.

I think we have a high quality player here, I feel that the Sweetney pick was smart and the best thing Layden did.

I dont feel he is the right player to start because he really is about 6-7 in sneaks and would have a lot of trouble defending and getting in FT, even if he lost 10+pds. But how many teams have a Mike Sweetney as a sixth man?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/17/2005  12:23 PM
I would only have Sweetney on the bench next year if our frontline consists of Bogut & Brand and that isn't going to happen so sweetney better start. To get Brand we'd have to give up either Sweets or our #1 pick this year I think.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/17/2005  12:26 PM
He's 6'8" in sneakers, 6'7 1/4" without them (which no player goes by). http://collegebasketballnews.scout.com/2/115362.html

He should start because he's our team's best PF. If the goal is to lose games and get a higher draft pick, then Kurt should start because Sweetney is better than he is on both ends of the court.
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  12:28 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I would only have Sweetney on the bench next year if our frontline consists of Bogut & Brand and that isn't going to happen so sweetney better start. To get Brand we'd have to give up either Sweets or our #1 pick this year I think.
We'd have to give up BOTH and an expiring contract to get Brand, which I'd probably do, but I don't know enough about the top lottery picks to know for sure.
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  12:33 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

He's 6'8" in sneakers, 6'7 1/4" without them (which no player goes by). http://collegebasketballnews.scout.com/2/115362.html

He should start because he's our team's best PF. If the goal is to lose games and get a higher draft pick, then Kurt should start because Sweetney is better than he is on both ends of the court.

No! if thats the goal then Nazr should continue to start! Kurt is a much better player than him and thats not saying much!
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  12:37 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Bonn1997:

No! if thats the goal then Nazr should continue to start! Kurt is a much better player than him and thats not saying much!
No one was talking about taking Nazy out of the starting lineup. We were talking about the PF position.
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  12:42 PM
sure limit everyone to positions.

Here Charles Barkley you are 6'4'' I want you to be the PG and run this team.

if you haven't noticed Sweetney is playing with kurt at center in the 4th quarter and we actually won 2 games this week! No Nazr bricking clutch shots!
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  12:45 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

sure limit everyone to positions.

Here Charles Barkley you are 6'4'' I want you to be the PG and run this team.

if you haven't noticed Sweetney is playing with kurt at center in the 4th quarter and we actually won 2 games this week! No Nazr bricking clutch shots!
HUH? Who said limit everyone to positions? I just said no one had mentioned taking Nazy out of the starting lineup, but then you changed the topic to propose that we need to start Nazy. Your comment made no sense since no one wanted to take him out.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/17/2005  12:46 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

That is one funky anal retentive snit. A man goes and double checks another mans stats over a freaking quarter of an inch! The mans says "about" 6-7 you go snitting over to try to catch Briggs in some major inaccuracy to fulfil you need of increasing your self esteem by trying to prove an inaccuracy, and all you come up with is a 1/4 of an inch!

New nickname for Bonnie: Hedwig! Do a goodgle on "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"!
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  12:52 PM
sure i don't like an undersized frontline of Kurt & Sweetney but the fact of the matter is they are our 2 best bigmen. So if you want to continue losing continue to play Nazr for big minutes. We won 2 games this week because he hardly played! But the Knicks clearly aren't tanking so i think even if they start Nazr to keep his value up Sweetney will get most of the minutes for now on. He's a decent backup thats it.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
2/17/2005  12:52 PM
I see Sweetney as a Corliss Williamson/Clarence Weatherspoon type who can help a team off the bench. He would never start for a good team. There's room for him here as a PF off the bench, but if he's ever starting for a full season, unless we have a Bogut next to him, we'll be in trouble.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  12:54 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I see Sweetney as a Corliss Williamson/Clarence Weatherspoon type who can help a team off the bench. He would never start for a good team. There's room for him here as a PF off the bench, but if he's ever starting for a full season, unless we have a Bogut next to him, we'll be in trouble.
No, he's only 22 and he's already much better than Fatspoon, except maybe spoon's earlier years where he put up 18/9
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  12:55 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

bogut or any other defensice shot-blocking center
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/17/2005  12:57 PM
wow, we've gone from the Charles Barkley & Elton Brand comparisons a year ago to now him being a quality 6th man option off the bench a-la Malik Rose in his hayday...& people were calling me crazy on MSG when i said i didn't think Sweetney would ever live up to the expectations as long as he wore a Knick uniform...i guess the true jury is still out, but i see the opinions of Sweetney have been lessened quite a bit since then.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  1:02 PM
Posted by TMS:

wow, we've gone from the Charles Barkley & Elton Brand comparisons a year ago to now him being a quality 6th man option off the bench a-la Malik Rose in his hayday...& people were calling me crazy on MSG when i said i didn't think Sweetney would ever live up to the expectations as long as he wore a Knick uniform...i guess the true jury is still out, but i see the opinions of Sweetney have been lessened quite a bit since then.
He still looks like the next Karl Malone to me
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  1:02 PM
well if Sweetney keeps up his dominant play in the paint and rebounding a lot of people are going to be eating crow. He's finally getting over 20mins and he's producing BIG TIME!
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
2/17/2005  1:20 PM
Reason I and I assume many others have lowered our expectations of Sweet is his rebounding. This year, he's an OK rebounder. Last season and preseason, he looked like he'd be the next Paul Silas. Don't know what happened. Still has the great hands, just doesn't seem to have that "every ball is mine" attitude anymore.

His offense is as good or better than I thought it'd be. Defense isn't as bad as many on this board say, imo. Decent BB IQ. Just isn't turning into the monster bounder I'd hoped. W/o the boards, think Briggs is right. He's a good 6th man or, at best, an average starting PF.
gunsnewing
USA
2/17/2005  1:23 PM
he sure had that "every ball is mine" attitude lastnight! I don't think his offense was consistent either under Wilkins with the sporadic minutes he was getting. But now under herb he looks like the Sweetney of last year only a lot more polished on offense! a lot of his points last year came off offensive rebounds this year he is a post presense.
Bonn1997
USA
2/17/2005  1:28 PM
Posted by bernard:

Reason I and I assume many others have lowered our expectations of Sweet is his rebounding. This year, he's an OK rebounder. Last season and preseason, he looked like he'd be the next Paul Silas. Don't know what happened. Still has the great hands, just doesn't seem to have that "every ball is mine" attitude anymore.

His offense is as good or better than I thought it'd be. Defense isn't as bad as many on this board say, imo. Decent BB IQ. Just isn't turning into the monster bounder I'd hoped. W/o the boards, think Briggs is right. He's a good 6th man or, at best, an average starting PF.
His rebound efficiency is not where it was last year; you're right. Other than that, I think he's played well and he should be starting

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/17/2005 13:29:14]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/17/2005  1:29 PM
i think before we says he's a sixth man or a starter, we need to get him 30+ mins a game to see what he is. i mean, what if he starts and drops 20/10 the 2nd half of the year. there's no way in hell he should be a sixth man. so i think his position and status on this team is too premature to decide. let's see him get the minutes and see his production then. i think his high # of FT's and his ability to score after contact is made in the low post is a very strong indication that he should start. but i just want to know what we have before we settle on his status.

the one thing i will say is that there is NO WAY in hell i trade him. he's too young and has really good skills that are not found too often. the art of the post is rare...
Mike Sweetney--in the position he should be-6th man

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy