NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
2/15/2005  12:13 PM
Stephen A. Smith | Iverson's itch to win

By Stephen A. Smith

Inquirer Columnist

We have seen this act before in Philadelphia, in which a franchise and its franchise player, touched by adversity too many times, find themselves at opposite ends of the spectrum.

But while trapped by their own championship aspirations, even during an epic tug-of-war between Larry Brown and Allen Iverson, the 76ers never appeared stagnant and flummoxed by their own ineptitude, unsure of what to do or when to do it - plagued by what has undoubtedly become a primary concern now.

Specifically, Allen Iverson wants out of Philadelphia. Unless the Sixers get a credible team on the floor. Preferably now! Several sources confirmed yesterday that Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, met with Sixers president and general manager Billy King on Friday.
Iverson, although happy with some parts of the team, is far from excited about the roster presently assembled. He isn't happy about being part of a rebuilding project in his ninth season in the league.

"He wants to win now," one source close to Iverson said. "This is not about him being interested in leaving the Sixers or the fans in Philadelphia. He loves it here and loves being here. But the bottom line is that he doesn't want to be here if this team isn't trying to win right now.

"It's no secret [the Sixers] are mediocre, that he has no secondary offensive option to help him out. And by the looks of things, he isn't about to get any help, either. At some point, you start asking yourself, 'What else can I do?' A.I. has done that. Now he's flat-out asked the Sixers, 'If you can't make this situation any better, after all I've done, can you please at least do me a favor and get me out of here?' "

King, clearly perturbed when asked about the subject, had little to say: "I talked with Allen extensively and I'm not about to comment on what was said or what will come of it."

Iverson confirmed that his agent met with King to express unhappiness with the Sixers' current set of circumstances: "Go ahead. Say what you have to say."

Considering that the Sixers are still wondering whether they'll even qualify for the playoffs, Iverson's patience has clearly been exhausted. And who knows how annoyed he'll get once the NBA's Feb. 24 trading deadline comes and goes and the Sixers have done nothing?

There were rumors that Keith Van Horn and Joe Smith could have come to Philadelphia weeks ago for "Big Dog" Glenn Robinson and Corliss Williamson. In recent days, there was speculation that Latrell Sprewell could end up here for Robinson if the Sixers were willing to part with Willie Green as well, which they were not.

And for those who believe either deal would qualify as a remedy to the Sixers' problems, I'll join Iverson in asking, "What world are you living in?"

The bad thing about this whole fiasco-in-waiting is that the Sixers will be pretty ticked off with Iverson. The good news is that Iverson couldn't care less.

He says he's been upset with coach Jim O'Brien for weeks for what are perceived as mind games played to the detriment of Green, Samuel Dalembert, Kenny Thomas, Marc Jackson and others; and for O'Brien's private assertion that Iverson could be doing more to help this team win. But Iverson also has been fuming over the frequent presence of former interim coach Chris Ford at games and practices.

The former three-time scoring champion, one-time league MVP and 2004-05 scoring leader doesn't appreciate seeing Ford, with whom he had numerous run-ins last season, walking around as a member of the organization, its pro-personnel scout.

"I can tell you this," another of Iverson's friends said, "A.I. does not like that man. He felt totally disrespected by [Ford] throughout last season. And for the Sixers to presently have him employed with the organization, allowed to walk around, sitting in suites with Billy King, acting as if nothing ever happened, is extremely insulting to A.I. He talks about it every single day."

This is not good.

It's true that Iverson signed a four-year, $76 million extension, scheduled to kick in next season. It's true that because of it, he is not going anywhere the Sixers don't want him to go.

But it's also true that he is averaging 29.7 points per game. That he's fresh off a 60-point explosion. That the reason the Sixers are 26-26, and in contention for a division crown, is primarily because of Iverson's presence and penchant for being among the league leaders in steals and assists, just as he is right now.

It's one thing for Iverson to have a problem. It's another thing when he's asking, "What are you going to do about it?"

Especially if you're the Sixers. He's all you've got.
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/15/2005  12:15 PM
well coming to the Knicks certainly is not the answer lol

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 02/15/2005 12:29:58]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/15/2005  12:23 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

well coming to the Knicks certainly is not the amswer lol

lol...i was thinking the same exact thing as i read the bolded type above.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/15/2005  12:34 PM
I would love AI on this team...especially if it didnt cost us Marbs but I doubt that will ever happen.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/15/2005  12:59 PM
Iverson and Marbury? Will that work?
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
2/15/2005  1:06 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

I think at this point of their careers it probably would, but it'll never happen
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
2/15/2005  1:12 PM
Posted by NYK3:
Posted by Silverfuel:

I think at this point of their careers it probably would, but it'll never happen
I thought they played okay together on offense in the olympics. Team USA lost for other reasons, but I didn't think there were any chemistry problems between them on or off the court.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/15/2005  1:13 PM
It would take MARBURY to get Iverson over here. I would be willing to do that, but I would want to make it a super blockbuster and ask for Dalembert as well. However, what would Iverson's role be here? Would be be the 1 or 2? And where would that leave Crawford? How would Iverson and Crawford Co-exist?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
USA
2/15/2005  1:20 PM
i don't think that would happen in a million years...Iverson is the quintessential Sixer, & he the Philly fans idolize the guy...plus he said he'd want to go to a "contender" & isn't happy in the rebuilding going on over there...that totally rules out the Knicks...plus, Marbury would be miserable if he were traded out of NY, so i don't see PHI ever being motivated to move AI for Marbury...

even if it were possible for argument's sake, it would take alot more than just Marbury to get Iverson over here imho...probably would have to include Sweetney & the 1st round pick as well.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/15/2005  1:29 PM
first of all AI is better than Marbury, by a lot. The only trade for AI that would have a snowballs chance is if we won the lottery and traded the pick for AI AND took back some of their bad contracts and quite frankly thats not worth it.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/15/2005  1:34 PM
I would never roster them on an NBA team together.

Allan for Steph trade could work. Sixers could never get full value, and the knicks an throw in somthing. But the Sixers would have a disgruntled Marbs at some point, and they could go thru it all again.

Thus, Sixers should try to get pieces, not just one.

Allan is amazing! Could this player in the hands of phil jax be something to behold?

Need many more pieces of course!
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/15/2005  2:01 PM
Posted by TMS:

i don't think that would happen in a million years...Iverson is the quintessential Sixer, & he the Philly fans idolize the guy...plus he said he'd want to go to a "contender" & isn't happy in the rebuilding going on over there...that totally rules out the Knicks...plus, Marbury would be miserable if he were traded out of NY, so i don't see PHI ever being motivated to move AI for Marbury...

even if it were possible for argument's sake, it would take alot more than just Marbury to get Iverson over here imho...probably would have to include Sweetney & the 1st round pick as well.

Wasn't Sir Charles a quintessential Sixer at one time? He too was idolized by fans. It's not out of this realm for AI to be traded.

Jamal, Nazr and Sweetney for AI works contract wise.

Nalod is correct. They will never get full value for AI.

Marbury and AI in the backcourt would be awesome. Who do you stop? You just need to get 2 long players to man the PF and C spot for rebounds and blocks and a way we go.
TMS
USA
2/15/2005  2:27 PM
Jamal, Nazr and Sweetney for AI works contract wise.

that offer wouldn't have a chance in hell...King would want a heckuva lot more than that to give up his HOF player.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/15/2005  5:51 PM
#1. i love AI

#2. i don't want him on the knicks. That's not the direction we need to go. We need to continue the progression of grooming younger players. Any huge deal we'd even contemplate better be for a guy 7 feet, not 6 feet.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/15/2005  7:07 PM
Ivo in NY would be so crazy. You think Philly loves him?

Marbs and Ivo would be a modern day Pearl and Clyde backcourt. Rivals for years then all of a sudden back court mates.

Isiah's vision of having two ball handlers would just go off the charts.....All Isiah would then just have to get some guys that can rebound, play defense, and score when given the chance......some decent role players......

This so would not happen....this all depends on what Billy King wants to do......cuz he could set himself to be under the cap if he had Timmy or Penny......It's not like Philly is winning anything anytime soon.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
2/15/2005  10:55 PM
Posted by fishmike:

first of all AI is better than Marbury, by a lot.
Why has it been so many years since AI's team even made the playoffs? Is his supporting cast really *that* much worse than Marbury's? I actually think it's comparably poor and the two players are comparably awesome (although Iverson was once better than Marbury). I'd be scared off by the fact that at 27, Iverson looked like his body was breaking apart last year. I know he's bounced back nicely, but I don't know how long a 160 pounder who plays like he does can last in the NBA. I also think Marbury could put up the 29 PPG that Iverson does if he took the # of shots Iverson does and passed less often. Iverson plays better defense, but there offensive shooting percentages cancel that out. If Marbury shoots 48% and Iverson 41%, then if Marbury's opposing PG shoots a higher percentage than the man Iverson's guarding the two factors cancel each other out. I'm not trying to rip apart Iverson. I think he's awesome. But I wouldn't give up Marbury for him.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/15/2005 22:56:40]
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/16/2005  8:34 AM
actually, they were the duo who brought the east back for a win in the fourth quarter in the 2001 all-star game. i think they would work well with each other and an opponent's nightmare. but i am worried about iverson's health. yeah, he is having his best year this year but he is turning 30 soon. how long will it last? plus after this year, his 4 year extension kicks in. so we will be stuck with him until he is 34 when he is not nearly the player he once was. as far as iverson compared to marbury, iverson is better and there are not many nba players better than him ( only duncan, shaq and garnett. even with bryant and mcgrady). but marbury is still the top 15- 20 player in the league and that is far better than any player we had at the start of last season.
o/t - Iverson Not Happy in Philly

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy