[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks Next Coach

Author Poll
NYK3
Member: #725
USA
Who do you want as our coach next season?
Phil Jackson
Larry Brown
Flip Saunders
Herb Williams
Other
View Results

Author Thread
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
2/13/2005  11:21 PM
I want Flip. Larry Brown already said he wasnt coaching after Detroit and I know Phil Jackson is the obvious choice but I think his triangle offense would hurt Marbury's game, and I know he used to play for the Knicks but when I think of Phil Jackson all I can think of is his days with the Bulls,DAM I REALLY HATED HIM. So my choice would be Flip, Marbury supoosedly likes him already and I think he would be a good coach for us next year.

[Edited by - NYK3 on 02/13/2005 23:26:59]
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/13/2005  11:50 PM
How can we have a Knick coaching poll without Isiah as a choice? Don't the papers tell us every week that Isiah is on the verge of becoming the next coach?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/13/2005 23:50:26]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
2/13/2005  11:55 PM
Phil, there is no substitute.

btw, I would rather have some more talented players than any coach.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/14/2005  12:54 AM
I would go with Herb Williams, but based on the relationship that Marburry had with Flip, and perhaps a chance to lure KG to N.Y. I would go with Flip. Something tells me that Marb and KG will be reunited before the end of their career....And Flip may be that bridge to make it happen.....
The true Knickabocker..........
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/14/2005  1:21 AM
Posted by Rich:

Phil, there is no substitute.

Well put, on both accounts.
¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/14/2005  8:53 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I would go with Herb Williams, but based on the relationship that Marburry had with Flip, and perhaps a chance to lure KG to N.Y. I would go with Flip. Something tells me that Marb and KG will be reunited before the end of their career....And Flip may be that bridge to make it happen.....

"somthing tells me".

That thing is that he is a great player, and Wolves might want to rebuild around role players than putting it all in one contract.

If so, then we need assets to trade, but then we pay a heafty price and deplete our roster. Kinda end up like the wolves.
MikeFromNY
Member: #870
2/14/2005  9:03 AM
Posted by Rich:

Agreed.

I honestly don't even know all that much about basketball coaches....because...well....I think they're over rated, so I never pay much attention to them.

I did hate the way Lenny Wilkens coached this team and would love to have the best coach available, but overall, I think the players are what really matter. We obviously still have some work to do in that department.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/14/2005  9:34 AM
my vote is for Flip. He's a good teacher and has shown he will start younger guys over veterans if he feels it makes the team better, regardless of salary. Marbury also loved him.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spflip0214,0,2801088.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Marbury spent the first 21/2 seasons of his career playing for Saunders before he forced the Timberwolves to trade him to the Nets. One former Minnesota teammate believes Marbury would welcome Saunders in New York with open arms.

"Steph wants to be coached," Marbury's ex-teammate said. "He'll do anything to win. But if he has a guy who is hesitant, Steph will do what he wants. He took Flip for granted. He thought it was like that everywhere in the league.

"If Flip came to New York, I'm sure Steph would love that. I haven't talked to him about it, but I think he'd be all for Flip."
interesting... when GP was asked if he thought Marbury could play in the triangle (Phil) offense:
Boston point guard Gary Payton had problems adjusting to Jackson's demands last season when he was with the Lakers. Asked if Marbury could play in Jackson's offense, Payton said:

"I don't know. I can't tell you. I couldn't play in it. I don't know if he could play in it. That's his thing. He would have to adjust to it."
To me thats scary... GP is still an elite PG and was one of the games top 10 players for a decade, yet Phil Jackson turned him into Ron Harper or BJ Armstrong. Something wrong there...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/14/2005  10:17 AM
Flip or Isiah...i don't see Phil fitting in well here w/Isiah & Marbury.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/14/2005  10:18 AM
say no to phil jackson (although that's the only way people will stop with the coach's fault nonsense).

flip doesn't bother me, nor does a nate mcmillan, but a teacher is what is needed.

but before all else, the talent level needs to be upgraded. so if i had a choice between flip and the current squad or herb and an upgrade in talent level, i choose the latter.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
2/14/2005  10:25 AM
The Knicks may become a better team after the trade deadline. Depend on who we move and bring in, it may decides the fate of Herb Williams. We need a closer, a player that can help the Knicks in the forth quarter. we have lost all of our games in the second half, that is regardless of how many points we were winning by. I don't know why, but it appears that the lack of defensive ability, and the lack of a postup player to slow the game down in the second half are the reason why we are so bad in the second half. Isiah needs to fix that by trading our frontcourt for new guys. Simple.....If Herb does well after the trade deadline, it will be his job to lose.....
The true Knickabocker..........
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/14/2005  10:31 AM
what about Maurice Cheeks?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/14/2005  10:45 AM
I've never really thought of Flip as a smart or even very good coach. I always attributed the T-wolves success to KG going all out on every play. If he really is a good Xs and Os guy, I would have to consider him after Phil.
¿ △ ?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/14/2005  10:52 AM
Posted by franco12:

what about Maurice Cheeks?

lenny wilkens jr.? why?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Rich
USA
2/14/2005  12:39 PM
Hiring Flip runs the risk that Marbury will have even more power than he already has, which is an unsettling thought.
Rich
USA
2/15/2005  3:06 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/110844794387120.xml

Knicks notebook: Saunders on their agenda

Tuesday, February 15, 2005
BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff

PHILADELPHIA -- Flip Saunders, who was fired Saturday after more than nine seasons as head coach of the Timberwolves, will be added to the short list of coaches the Knicks might pursue after the season. Topping the list, of course, is Phil Jackson.

Since there will be difficulties signing Jackson, Saunders could emerge as the front-runner if the Knicks decide to replace Herb Williams. Saunders is said to have a good relationship with Knicks president Isiah Thomas, and is definitely liked by Stephon Marbury, the one player Thomas would most want to please.

Marbury refused to make any declarations about Saunders coming to the Knicks out of deference to Williams. But he endorsed Saunders as one of the top coaches in the NBA.

"He's a great coach," Marbury said before last night's game against the Sixers.

Saunders was coach of the Timberwolves in June 1996 when the team acquired Marbury during a draft day trade with Milwaukee. Marbury, who entered the NBA after his freshman year at Georgia Tech, said his game and Saunders' system was a "perfect fit" at the time.

"He's the dude that taught me the NBA game," Marbury said.

Marbury said one of the reasons he likes Saunders so much is his genuine character.

"Flip is real," the point guard said. "He's not like everyone else. He doesn't fall on the bandwagon of what someone else says. Unfortunately there are more fake people than real people."

As for T'wolves president Kevin McHale, who fired Saunders and then replaced him on the bench, Marbury didn't have a lot of praise. Asked his impression of McHale as coach, Marbury responded with a dismissive raspberry sound, making clear his disdain.

Tim Thomas re-injured

his left index finger in the first half and sat out the entire fourth quarter. Thomas said he wasn't sure if he would be able to play tomorrow against the Bucks.

"I don't know," Thomas said after the game. "All in know is, it's throbbing right now."

Jamal Crawford had

32 points last night in his first start since injuring his left ankle Feb. 5 in Phoenix.

T'wolves guard

Latrell Sprewell is being mentioned in trade talks with the Sixers. Minnesota is looking for Glenn Robinson in return. An Iverson-Sprewell backcourt could realign the power structure in the Atlantic Division, according to one of Spree's ex-Knicks teammates.

"Wherever he goes he's going to make a big contribution," Kurt Thomas said. "He's a great player, a great leader. Every time he steps on the court he leaves it all out there on the court."

Minnesota has been looking to trade Sprewell since contract negotiations stalled earlier this season. In addition to Thomas, a few Knicks, including Williams, would love to have Sprewell back. Before that could happen the team would have to change ownership. Sprewell became public enemy No. 1 to Garden boss James Dolan. In his first game last year at the Garden since being dealt to Minnesota, Sprewell had several choice words for Dolan.

The Knicks

will have a team in the Las Vegas Summer League in July for rookies and free agents. Assistant coach Mike Malone will likely lead the squad. Williams coached last year's summer league team in Los Angeles.
Knicks Next Coach

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy