Andre Miller Trade A Reality?
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/14/2002  8:24 PM
Found this @ ESPN Insider:
Will the Cavs drop the ball on Andre Miller?

Cavs general manager Jim Paxson seems to have made just about every mistake in the book the last few years . . . is he on the verge of making the biggest blunder of all-time?

Lottery picks Trajan Langdon, Chris Mihm and even rookie DeSagana Diop are all looking like busts.

Trading Robert Traylor, Matt Harpring and Cedric Henderson for Tyrone Hill and Jumaine Jones seemed like a good deal. Until, that is, Hill sat out the whole season pouting with a sore back. Jones, who has no clear position in the NBA, is struggling.

Then there is Lamond Murray, Michael Doleac and Wesley Person. They would be great sixth men, but are forced to start on the lowly Cavs.

And let's not even get into the ongoing saga with Zydrunas Ilgauskas, the 70-million dollar man whose feet are now half man, half machine.

But this summer, Paxson faces his biggest challenge. He'll have to take another high draft pick, decide what to do with restricted free agent Ricky Davis and then tackle the biggest question, whether to give Andre Miller a max extension.

On the draft pick, Paxson would prefer to trade it away for another veteran. As for Davis, the team would like him back if it can get him to agree to a short-term deal. And Miller, well that's a slam dunk, right? Or is it?

"Andre is somebody we feel very high about," Paxson told the Akron Beacon Journal. "There are some advantages on both sides to waiting a year. And there are advantages of locking it up and just kind of knowing and getting it done.... We want to put the best team we can around Andre.... It may be better to do something now to make sure we got it in place and not take any risk on our side or his side. Or maybe we'll wait a year and it may help us add one more player around him."

Wait, on Andre Miller? Are the Cavs crazy?

While the Cavs, and just about everyone else, love Miller, they are losing money and are several players away from being a contender. So forgive them if they're not thrilled about handing out another maximum deal. The last two big contracts (Shawn Kemp and Ilgauskas) handed out by the Cavs turned out to be disasters.

Miller is a more sure thing than Kemp or Z, but he can't lead the Cavs to the promised land alone. As amazing as he is, he's a pure point guard without much of a supporting cast. In many ways that makes his league-leading assist total all the more remarkable. On second thought, are the Cavs even sure Miller wants that extension.

Mihm was supposed to be the guy who Miller could lob passes to, but he's turned in another disappointing season. Coach John Lucas, Mihm's biggest cheerleader, admitted as much.

"Yes, that's a disappointment," Lucas conceded to the Beacon Journal. "I just think Chris gave out. He'll just have to keep working." Unsure of where to play -- center or power forward -- and mired in a series of injuries, Mihm has struggled to shed the "soft" label that has followed him around since the draft.

"I can't give you a true answer [on his better position]," Lucas said. "I truly don't know yet. I know he has the skills inside, but does he have the skills outside? He has to do a lot of work this summer to be sort of like a [Dirk] Nowitzki, but I don't know if he has the speed.... He looks quick at [center] and sometimes slow [at power forward]."

Privately, the Cavs hope they can be players in the 2003 free-agent bonanza. Lucas would love to get his hands on a real power forward like Antonio McDyess, and the Cavs still are in desperate need of an athletic, ball-handling two guard. But with so many teams angling to be under the cap that summer, do the Cavs have a realistic shot at landing a big-time player? If the Cavs couldn't lure hometown boy Brian Grant back home, how do they expect to land McDyess to Cleveland? Looks like Cavs fans could be in for a few more long, lonely winters.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/14/2002  8:39 PM
I would do anything to get a sign-and-trade for Andre Miller done. Make a deal like Sprewell, Jackson, Thomas, and a future pick for Miller and someone like Wesley Person or Tyrone Hill. That would be awsome.
Caseloads
Member: #41
3/16/2002  11:30 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

I would do anything to get a sign-and-trade for Andre Miller done. Make a deal like Sprewell, Jackson, Thomas, and a future pick for Miller and someone like Wesley Person or Tyrone Hill. That would be awsome.
the cav's in the past have outright stated that they refuse to ever trade miller to the knicks.
Andre Miller Trade A Reality?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy