[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Blue print for the Knicks to follow....Herb! take note....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/10/2005  5:08 PM
The baby Bulls are now an excellent squad. I am very sure that one day our Knicks will be the same....We need talents in our frontcourt. Please Isiah, go after 3 capable big men to man the SF/PF/C positions.....I have one name for you already: Jamal Sampson

2. How did the Bulls, without warning, get so good defensively?

This time we turn to Ben Gordon for the ready response.

"Coach Skiles," Gordon said.

That's it?

"Yup," Gordon said.

You guys just do whatever Skiles says?

"Yup," Gordon said.

Seems that the revamped Baby Bulls are much more obedient than they used to be, but Skiles has an explanation for his ability to get through where Tim Floyd and Bill Cartwright failed.

"We have a totally different team," the coach said. "That has something to do with it."

Skiles also tries to keep the schemes simple, because of the inexperience. But he doesn't have to compromise on effort, getting dogged work defensively in spite of the fact that his roster is so short on veteran know-how. You can argue that the Bulls' top six players are 24 or younger, with second-year point guard Kirk Hinrich ranking as the senior member of a group that starts with a 19-year-old (Deng).

"The coach demands it out of you," Deng said. "If you want to play, you have to play D."

As a result, they've formed an active-hands unit that allows the opposition to shoot just 41.4 percent from the field, lowest in the league. Skiles doesn't deny that he misses the days when, with a veteran-laden team in Phoenix, he could introduce a couple coverages at the morning shootaround and know Jason Kidd and Co. could carry them out in the game that night. But he's growing to like simplicity, too.

"We were actually really surprised," Skiles said of Chicago's defensive struggles in November. "We defended so well in camp, right from the beginning of two-a-days, and then we just came out giving up 100 points, 48 percent shooting, We were fouling at an unbelievable rate. Then when we really looked at it, it was just basically one guy breaking down every possession. It wasn't a total team thing. As soon as we got after those individual breakdowns, we started becoming a very good defensive team.

"With our youth, we're not going to be a 100-plus points-per-game team [offensively]. We're going to be in the mid-to-low 90s. So doesn't take a genius to figure out that, if we don't keep the other team in the upper 80s, we're probably in trouble. ... For being rookies [or close to it], they've been exceptional."

3. How has Skiles, a supposed screamer, connected with these particular players?

Reason A: Insiders say Skiles isn't nearly the screamer that his reputation suggests, and that he's far more a teacher than a screamer in Chicago.

Reason B: The advantage to having so many young guys, as opposed to veterans, is that they're less likely to fire back at a demanding coach than vets would.

"I think so," Curry said. "I think that's one of the reasons we've been able to turn it around so fast."

Curry was careful to clarify that Skiles is as hard-nosed [and blunt] as legend has it. "Harder than I can probably explain," Curry said after a long pause. "He's a tough guy. He really demands perfection from this team, and we try to give it to him."

Gordon echoed that opinion, putting Skiles in the same intensity class as his University of Connecticut coach, Jim Calhoun.

"They're about as demanding as demanding gets," Gordon said. "They know exactly what they want and they're very confident in their teaching."

Yet Gordon quickly adds that he thinks that kind of push "is something I need in my career," and he's not the only Bull who feels that way. Several young Bulls come from good programs where respect for the coach is ingrained early -- Gordon from UConn, Kirk Hinrich from Kansas, Chris Duhon and Deng from Duke, even Andres Nocioni from Argentina's gold-medal winning national team. In an era when top draftees rarely stay in college for more than a year or two, the experience those players bring from their years in the best college systems is an undeniable plus.

Curry and Chandler, meanwhile, seem ready for someone to push them in the right direction after three lost seasons. Having been bashed so much locally and nationally for their lack of development and consistency, they're both willing to absorb Skiles' tough love if it means that they'll continue to rebound.

"The inexperience is not really that bad, because even though they're young, a lot of these guys are mature for their ages," Davis said. "They're good kids, so we don't worry about them being young. The biggest thing is, they're really listening."

4. Will Bulls fans -- and Bulls management -- continue to be patient?

The fans have been amazingly patient, so patient that the Bulls have no right to expect more. Some sort of dropoff is understandable after a run of six championships in eight seasons, but the Bulls haven't merely faded. In the six seasons since its last title in 1998, the franchise has posted a cumulative record of 119-341.

Finally, at age 22, Chandler and Curry are giving the Bulls more than smiles and photo ops.
Yet the patience shown by general manager John Paxson is almost as laudable. There were widespread calls for a major shakeup when the Bulls opened 0-9. Curry, a restricted free agent this summer, was, in particular, a pretty unanimous choice to be the first one traded away.

Yet Paxson held firm. GMs everywhere called, but Paxson, according to league sources, didn't want to be the one who had lived through Curry's growing pains and then moved him just in time for the 22-year-old to blossom. It's a stance that history supports, since most every big man to jump directly from high school to the pros eventually makes it.

So somehow he convinced Curry, after his mother and agent demanded a trade, to put off contract-extension talks until the summer and focus on the season.

"We established that early," Curry said.

A few months later, Curry and Chandler are at the forefront -- or at least the front court -- of a nucleus that has rival GMs envious. The roster Paxson has assembled recently prompted influential Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti, a regular on ESPN's "Around The Horn," to write that Paxson "has moved on to something more amazing" some 12 years removed from his famed clinching jumper against Phoenix in the 1993 NBA Finals.

"We feel within our organization in the past year and a half or so, we've definitely turned a couple of corners," Skiles said. "We're moving in the right direction and all that. But you don't get anything for that.

"We want what everybody wants. We want a ring. That's what everyone's trying to get. But from where we came from, we've got to sort of get back in the game first. Which is becoming a competitive team every night, winning games [and] at some point becoming a playoff team, and then you take it from there. Normally, teams get in the playoffs, they take their lumps for a few years, they make progress, and sometimes they win it. It's a long, long process."

The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
USA
2/10/2005  5:51 PM
During the draft, Isiah needs to truly concentrate on young players that are from good programs, I.E. North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Ucon, Syracuse, etc....If we can find a true talent from somewhere else, it is also good, but we have to be sure that that talent is receptive to orders or a discipline environment....One of the reason why Marb has yet to be a super-star in this league is because he didn't have a great coach to teach him in college. When he entered the league, while playing for Minesota he didn't have a coach that could teach him right from wrong....
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
2/10/2005  10:15 PM
Also getting Jamal Sampson from the waivers would make another good point in that blue print. We need all the luck we can get. To be like the baby Bulls is to suck bad every year. Unfortunately Knicks never get lucky or at least I think they don't.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/10/2005  11:04 PM
Dido,

YOu write that all by yourself? Yesterday you was grabbing Isiahs thoughts, now you taking to Ben Gorden? Tommorow, you talk to Jesus?

IF you are reprinting, at least quote the source.

And If we get Jamal, we will be world beaters!

Why we want him, Bobcats threw his ass off the team for bad work habits. Could being on an expansion team not be enough opportunity to work you butt off? Duh? So this is the kid you want?

diderotn
USA
2/11/2005  7:27 AM
Nalod! Stop being so negative....The kid is only 20. If he is with an organization that has a history, he will be forced to respect the credo of that organization....You are very crazy about Kwame and Curry who will cost us a lot more to obtain, why not give the kid a chance??? After all, he will only cost the Knicks less than $200.000. In N.Y. he will be exposed to a very demanding city and media, perhaps that along can force him to develop a great work ethic....One man's trash can be another man's treasure....

Posted by Nalod:

Dido,

YOu write that all by yourself? Yesterday you was grabbing Isiahs thoughts, now you taking to Ben Gorden? Tommorow, you talk to Jesus?

Why we want him, Bobcats threw his ass off the team for bad work habits. Could being on an expansion team not be enough opportunity to work you butt off? Duh? So this is the kid you want?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/11/2005  7:43 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Nalod! Stop being so negative....The kid is only 20. If he is with an organization that has a history, he will be forced to respect the credo of that organization....You are very crazy about Kwame and Curry who will cost us a lot more to obtain, why not give the kid a chance??? After all, he will only cost the Knicks less than $200.000. In N.Y. he will be exposed to a very demanding city and media, perhaps that along can force him to develop a great work ethic....One man's trash can be another man's treasure....

Posted by Nalod:

Dido,

This Sampson guy seems like he'd be a nice player to give a 10 day contract to, but he's not worth obsessing over
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/11/2005  7:52 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Nalod:

Dido,

This Sampson guy seems like he'd be a nice player to give a 10 day contract to, but he's not worth obsessing over

well said
diderotn
USA
2/11/2005  8:14 AM
I agree, we should bring him in on a 10 day contract, he may woww us and still the job away from Nazr.....Will he get some playing time if on a 10 days contract?????
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
2/11/2005  8:16 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Nalod:

Dido,

well said
Who's saying this Sampson guy is to be obsessed with? I say give this kid a chance with NY, we have good big men coaches ya know?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Bonn1997
USA
2/11/2005  8:36 AM
Posted by KNICKSdom:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by diderotn:

Posted by Nalod:

Dido,

well said
Who's saying this Sampson guy is to be obsessed with? I say give this kid a chance with NY, we have good big men coaches ya know?
Signing Sampson was Diderton's very first point in his blueprint for the Knicks
Nalod
USA
2/11/2005  9:02 AM
[quote]
[If he is with an organization that has a history, he will be forced to respect the credo of that organization....You are very crazy about Kwame and Curry who will cost us a lot more to obtain, why not give the kid a chance???
[quote][

We have not won a championship in 32 years. What is the Credo? How does that help a young player whom is struggling to find himself?

Kwame? No way we pay big for him, and Cream of Curry? Same deal. Besides He is not what we need, no D, no rebounds. I say be patient and do it in the draft.

I admit, I don't really know much about Sampson, and the bob's have a stronger front line than us, but lets be real, Isiah will have his projects, and I trust if he like the kid enough, he'll grab him. If not, its not like he did not see it.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/11/2005  9:43 AM
the baby bulls are not an excellent squad
all kool aid all the time.
diderotn
USA
2/11/2005  9:49 AM
but they are winning, and we are losing...

Posted by rvhoss:

rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/11/2005  10:16 AM
ummm...well, I'd have to agree with that.
please please please beat boston tonight...I'm sick of boston and the new england area.
Posted by diderotn:

but they are winning, and we are losing...

Posted by rvhoss:

all kool aid all the time.
diderotn
USA
2/11/2005  10:33 AM
Nah, accumulating good talents was my first point....bozo
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/11/2005  10:40 AM
Posted by diderotn:

During the draft, Isiah needs to truly concentrate on young players that are from good programs, I.E. North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, Ucon, Syracuse, etc....If we can find a true talent from somewhere else, it is also good, but we have to be sure that that talent is receptive to orders or a discipline environment....One of the reason why Marb has yet to be a super-star in this league is because he didn't have a great coach to teach him in college. When he entered the league, while playing for Minesota he didn't have a coach that could teach him right from wrong....

While I agree that he should put a premium on good college programs, there are no blue chip BIG MAN prospects in the lottery this coming draft unless you want to put Utah in that group. If we are in the lottery, which looks quite possible right now, I want Bogut, Tiago Splitter and Taft in that order.

You are incorrect with Marbury. He had Bobbby Cremins, a damn good coach, during college. His problem was that he played 1 year and left for the bling-bling. He also had a Flip Saunders in Minny. His problem was immaturity in that he didn't want to be Robin to KG's Batman.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/11/2005  10:50 AM
Posted by diderotn:

The baby Bulls are now an excellent squad. I am very sure that one day our Knicks will be the same....We need talents in our frontcourt. Please Isiah, go after 3 capable big men to man the SF/PF/C positions.....I have one name for you already: Jamal Sampson

quote from the Sampson Thread
Posted by diderotn:

Look at this dude lower extremity!! If he develops a good work ethic, and spend time in the gym building his arms, back, and chest, he will be a monster....Karl Malone or Webber type of body structure, except that this kid has a much stronger looking lower extremety, calves to be exact.....

Aside from his lower extremities, his arms, his back and his chest and being a young capable big man, Have you seen him play basketball? Not that there is anything wrong with that..

I am not sure if this would happen with IT. Haislip was a similar type player with a higher pedigree (lottery pick) and IT did not sign him. I think he is waiting for a big trade before making smaller moves.
Bonn1997
USA
2/11/2005  10:59 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Nah, accumulating good talents was my first point....bozo
The urgent need to get Sampson is right in your very first point. It's right ahead of your second point, labelled "2."
Nalod
USA
2/11/2005  11:05 AM
Bonnie,

Whats your take on Jamals Sampsons Physical attributes?

Bonn1997
USA
2/11/2005  11:18 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Bonnie,

Whats your take on Jamals Sampsons Physical attributes?
never seen him play. From what I've heard, he sounds okay to give a 10 day contract to
Blue print for the Knicks to follow....Herb! take note....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy