[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

West coming East? It could happen!
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/14/2002  10:21 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-000018682mar14.story?coll=la%2Dheadlines%2Dsports%2Dnba%2Dlakers

West Prepared to Go Elsewhere

Not yet two years since resigning under the strain of operating an NBA organization, Jerry West is prepared to leave Los Angeles and his reduced role with the Lakers for a general manager-type position elsewhere in the league, according to those close to him.

West, who will be 64 in May, has served his successor, Mitch Kupchak, as a $1 million-a-year consultant since the summer of 2001, after the first of consecutive NBA titles for the Lakers.

While rumors of him jumping to one of several organizations followed him through his semi-retirement, West maintained that he was not emotionally ready for the trials of building a franchise and then living with the nightly result. Recently, according to friends, he began to talk of returning to the challenge of it, however, and the frequent telephone calls from other franchises have grown more serious.

"Jerry's going to be talking to people," a friend said. "If the situation presents itself, he's going to run a team again."

The Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors and New York Knicks, among others, seem likely or possible suitors, though only the Hawks are confirmed.

One source said a meeting between Hawk President Stan Kasten and West was imminent, though another denied it. Agreed upon, however, was that a recharged West would all but have his pick of NBA jobs.

West on Wednesday evening resisted the notion he is on the verge of a comeback, though without the authority of previous conversations on the matter.

He loathes the publicity his perceived availability sometimes draws, and the frequency with which his name is linked to jobs not vacant.

"I think anyone who's competitive, and I think of myself as competitive, sometimes gets the urge," West said. "For me, it can go away. I'm not actively looking for anything.

"If I feel like working, then I'll work. But I've got a great situation. It's not something I'd be willing to jeopardize. My well-being is more important to me than another job."
AUTOADVERT
VG
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #68
Australia
3/14/2002  11:19 PM
Let's get rid of Layden and get West instead. The guy is a basketball genius.
West coming East? It could happen!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy