[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

George Karl is a heck of a coach......
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/9/2005  7:52 AM
This dude is an awesome talent. He is doing some beautiful things in Denver. All you have to do is look at the way the team performs, he gets them to play as a unit. I am very happy for Carmelo, maybe we will finally see how good this young man will really be next season.....He is going to have an excellent second half....Why didn't Isiah pursue Karl instead of Fratelo or Lenny????
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
2/9/2005  8:01 AM
The jury is still out.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250208007

Nuggets improved to 5-1 under new coach George Karl. Of the five victories, none have come against a team with a winning record.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
diderotn
USA
2/9/2005  9:12 AM
A win is a win....It doesn't matter who you beat.....

Posted by Andrew:

The jury is still out.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250208007

Nuggets improved to 5-1 under new coach George Karl. Of the five victories, none have come against a team with a winning record.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/9/2005  9:55 AM
yea it does... Karl sucks. Denver was underachieving all year. Now they hit the soft part of their schedule and Karl is a great coach. Newsflash: they were a playoff team last year WITHOUT Kmart.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
2/9/2005  9:58 AM
too bad ny was not treated with that kind of "halo" but the initial euphoria of winning is a nice confidence builder.....can karl keep it up
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/9/2005  1:54 PM
I think Karl is decent - at least he has some talent to coach now - well not only talent, but size as well. He was coaching small ball with no legit big man force on the Bucks. When he coached the Sonics I think he had similar trouble? I dont remember exactly what happened there.

I think he will do well in Denver. That team has a talented roster and just needs some leadership on the coaching staff - which they seem to have now. Wait and see but he should do well.

I wish him well anyway, I think he seems like a decent enough guy.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
diderotn
USA
2/9/2005  1:57 PM
Wait! I heard that Phil Jackson will endup in Minesota instead...He said that Minesota already has a big name superstar and they have a much better chance at wining than N.Y does.....here goes our chance at improving next year. Maybe Isiah will be the only man after Brown to qualify for that position...
fishmike
USA
2/9/2005  2:23 PM
despite them having Garnett I would still think NY has the advantage. If Isiah can upgrade the roster, even if its with younger guys Phil would choose NY. He's a Knick and will always be.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
2/9/2005  5:29 PM
The thing about Karl is that it always seems like when he starts coaching at a new job the honeymoon never lasts long. You can't knock the guy as a coach, he knows the X's and O's as well as anyone, thats never been the problem. He had a great run in Seattle and when he first started with the Bucks and things were really looking up but it just kinda fell apart beucase of his relationships with the players. There are players that love him (Gary Payton and Michael Redd) but there always those who had major problems with him (Tim Thomas, Glenn Robinson). I know he has said that he learned alot about on how he can improve his relationships with players from his experience in Milwaukee but like Andrew said, the jury is still out. I wish him the best though, he's got a outstanding team in Denver.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/9/2005  5:37 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:

He had a great run in Seattle and when he first started with the Bucks and things were really looking up but it just kinda fell apart beucase of his relationships with the players.

Great point.That is his achilles heal IMO.He also had those incredible first round meltdowns in Seattle.He is a great turnaround artist but it remains to be seen if he will go out as one of the greats.BTW I read somewhere he was actually drafted by the Knicks.
nyk4ever
USA
2/9/2005  5:40 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by nyk4ever:

He had a great run in Seattle and when he first started with the Bucks and things were really looking up but it just kinda fell apart beucase of his relationships with the players.

Great point.That is his achilles heal IMO.He also had those incredible first round meltdowns in Seattle.He is a great turnaround artist but it remains to be seen if he will go out as one of the greats.BTW I read somewhere he was actually drafted by the Knicks.

yeah, he did have some real bad playoff experiences out there in Seattle but I know they did make it to one finals against the Bulls, I just can't remember if they played them well or not. I mean I know no one really played the Bulls all that well but did Seattle take any games in that series?
Kwazimodal
2/9/2005  5:42 PM
I mean I know no one really played the Bulls all that well but did Seattle take any games in that series?

To be honest I cant remember myself.
fishmike
USA
2/9/2005  6:06 PM
Bulls won in 6. Those were TREMENDOUS Seattle teams, and they had a lot of bad playoff losses including the upset by the Nuggets in a season they were #1 and won over 60 games.

Those Sea teams had guys like Payton, Schemph, a young Kemp who was one of the most explosive players I ever saw, Perkins, Nate McMillian and some other good players.

Karl has an insane ego and everytime he leaves players trash him. Add the Olympic debacle to his resume also.

So long as we are on the coaching kick here's a name:
Flip Saunders
I am wondering if he takes a fall this year. He's the one guy that loved Marbury and Marbury loved (still does) him. His teams play tough D and despite the early playoff exits he got a lot of winning seasons out of Garnett and a lot of scrubs.
nyk4ever
USA
2/9/2005  6:09 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Bulls won in 6. Those were TREMENDOUS Seattle teams, and they had a lot of bad playoff losses including the upset by the Nuggets in a season they were #1 and won over 60 games.

Those Sea teams had guys like Payton, Schemph, a young Kemp who was one of the most explosive players I ever saw, Perkins, Nate McMillian and some other good players.

Karl has an insane ego and everytime he leaves players trash him. Add the Olympic debacle to his resume also.

Flip Saunders
I am wondering if he takes a fall this year. He's the one guy that loved Marbury and Marbury loved (still does) him. His teams play tough D and despite the early playoff exits he got a lot of winning seasons out of Garnett and a lot of scrubs.

I'd be all for Flip, I think its only better if Marbury gets a coach that he really likes and as you said he always says he loved playing for Flip. I don't think Brown is a realistic option for the Knicks as a coach and if Flip does get the ax, he might be their most realistic candidate because who knows if all of what Phil is saying is smoke-screens or what.
Kwazimodal
2/9/2005  6:18 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Flip Saunders

I mentioned Saunders as well.I agree about his getting his players to play above and beyond so to speak.Id be happy with Brown or Jackson getting the job but I worry about Brown not playing the younger players which is the last thing we need.And as Marv brought up earlier,can Marbury deal with the constraints of the triangle offense? Saunders should definitely be considered.

[Edited by - kwazimodal on 02/09/2005 18:20:29]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2005  6:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:

despite them having Garnett I would still think NY has the advantage. If Isiah can upgrade the roster, even if its with younger guys Phil would choose NY. He's a Knick and will always be.
especially if Minnesota is a lottery team, which they're on pace for )(or maybe even if they have a 1st round exit).
nyk4ever
USA
2/9/2005  6:31 PM
I know I'm getting really far ahead of myself here but just something to think about. Imagine if Flip does get fired and the Knicks choose him, I don't think Isiah would EVER hear the end of it because everyone would say that he chose Flip over the Zen Master who has 9 rings compared to Flips 0.
diderotn
USA
2/9/2005  7:24 PM
The Zen would make the decision to go to Minesota instead, because they already have the best player in the league out there....Why in the world would Phil pass on coaching KG????? wOULD YOU????
George Karl is a heck of a coach......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy