[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The enigma that is Stromile Swift
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/8/2005  10:51 PM
tonight 19 points 3 reb 3 steals 3 blocks in 24 min

forget the stro show-his knickname should be the enigma, because you truly do not know what you are going to get. at times he looks like an NBA superstar at a muscular 6-9 240, who plays well above the rim and other times aloof, non-chalant-second rate. yes he isnt going to win IQ tests, but it really isnt brain science.
This guy should be 20-10-3 every night--and he ahs shown many signs of those capabilities, to be a force on both ends in the post

is it possible he was just stuck behind gasol at the wrong moment in time, a period that caused his development to go awry?

Now, in fairness, he has to be a serious candidate for the Knicks and probably many others for the MLE--if you look at what went for the MLE this year, stromile is a steal, but will other surprise players who can be deemed more reliable in other aspects YEt also plagued with some of their own defecincies like rahim and Walker be there for an MLE at the end of the day?

If stromile played at full potential, he would be better than both of those players because he can effect the game on the defensive end in the post, but he hasnt shown that type of consistency

I dont know, but this is a good year to use that MLE--it could yild a player that makes more sense than trying to take back 90 contracts for the same thing. It might be better to let many and or all of these contracts to just run out.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/8/2005  10:57 PM
hey, lets give him financial security for the rest of his life and see what happens?

Or, lets threaten him, or his family with bodily harm and see if that motivates him?

Maybe we just never find out. Stro is like Damp in a way, jsut never know what he is going to bring each nite.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/8/2005  10:59 PM
Would you give him the full MLE if it meant having no MLE money available to spend on re-signing Ariza?
BRIGGS
2/8/2005  11:17 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Would you give him the full MLE if it meant having no MLE money available to spend on re-signing Ariza?
where do you get this information? he has a two year option I thought? if we signed him for just a year, it's really just plain stupidity. neverthe less, not team is going to give him any significant money. Im sure we can rework his contract after the year to give him a 1.5mm per for 3-4 years.
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
2/8/2005  11:18 PM
Posted by Nalod:

hey, lets give him financial security for the rest of his life and see what happens?

Or, lets threaten him, or his family with bodily harm and see if that motivates him?

Maybe we just never find out. Stro is like Damp in a way, jsut never know what he is going to bring each nite.

he was a two pick, so he has already made more than 20mm$
RIP Crushalot😞
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/8/2005  11:19 PM
Ariza just has a one year deal right now. Bonn is correct.
Bonn1997
USA
2/8/2005  11:27 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

where do you get this information? he has a two year option I thought? if we signed him for just a year, it's really just plain stupidity. neverthe less, not team is going to give him any significant money. Im sure we can rework his contract after the year to give him a 1.5mm per for 3-4 years.
I'm pretty sure it's a one year deal, but whether it's one or two years, it was pretty stupid not to use the remainder of the MLE to give him a 3+ year contract and have his Bird rights.
knicksfinest
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #850
2/8/2005  11:31 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

tonight 19 points 3 reb 3 steals 3 blocks in 24 min

forget the stro show-his knickname should be the enigma, because you truly do not know what you are going to get. at times he looks like an NBA superstar at a muscular 6-9 240, who plays well above the rim and other times aloof, non-chalant-second rate. yes he isnt going to win IQ tests, but it really isnt brain science.
This guy should be 20-10-3 every night--and he ahs shown many signs of those capabilities, to be a force on both ends in the post

is it possible he was just stuck behind gasol at the wrong moment in time, a period that caused his development to go awry?

Now, in fairness, he has to be a serious candidate for the Knicks and probably many others for the MLE--if you look at what went for the MLE this year, stromile is a steal, but will other surprise players who can be deemed more reliable in other aspects YEt also plagued with some of their own defecincies like rahim and Walker be there for an MLE at the end of the day?

If stromile played at full potential, he would be better than both of those players because he can effect the game on the defensive end in the post, but he hasnt shown that type of consistency

I dont know, but this is a good year to use that MLE--it could yild a player that makes more sense than trying to take back 90 contracts for the same thing. It might be better to let many and or all of these contracts to just run out.

i post swift before on this forum, and people were telling that swift is not the player knicks needed because his only able to block, dunk, and run the floor. Guess what? swift is exactly what the knicks need.

P.S i will pick swift over webber in a heart beat.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/8/2005  11:32 PM
Every thing that Briggs siad about Swift i think could also be said about several young bigs in the league right now. I am totally unsold on Curry, Dalembert, Chandler and Brown. They are all enigmas to me. They could each become a star. They could each become a Benoit Benjamin. How do you get a handle on where any of these guys is going?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/8/2005  11:34 PM
Add Nene to that list. And probably Kaman and Darko.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/8/2005  11:58 PM
Posted by Marv:

I dont know man, I think Nene is the real deal. He scored around 15 points and grabs about 10 rebs every game he plays more than 30 minutes. This is his 3rd year in the league. I think he will end up with better numbers than Sweetney once they both start playing starter minutes.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/9/2005  3:06 AM
cut copy paste to the following:

the enigma that is kwame brown
the enigma that is eddie curry
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
2/9/2005  3:31 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

cut copy paste to the following:

the enigma that is kwame brown
the enigma that is eddie curry
The main thing about Curry is his rebounding & defense. How can you be that size and only grab 5 rebounds a game? It just doesn't make sense.

Andrew
Member: #1
USA
2/9/2005  7:32 AM
Posted by Solace:

I'm not so sure about that...hoopshype and other sources are not always correct. Plus the Knicks do not announce the details of the contracts. He could have a 3 year deal for all we know.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/9/2005  7:49 AM
I am sure that before too long, Isiah will offer Ariza a nice contract, that is priority number one....Second, he will try to get rid of all of the unusable parts that we have right now. Guys like: Houston, Penny, TT, Vinny, and perhaps Nazr will all be gone. As for Swift, you might as well forget about him, Memphis, especially now that Fratello is the coach will never trade this young talent.....

Posted by Andrew:
Posted by Solace:

I'm not so sure about that...hoopshype and other sources are not always correct. Plus the Knicks do not announce the details of the contracts. He could have a 3 year deal for all we know.
The true Knickabocker..........
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/9/2005  8:05 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Marv:

I dont know man, I think Nene is the real deal. He scored around 15 points and grabs about 10 rebs every game he plays more than 30 minutes. This is his 3rd year in the league. I think he will end up with better numbers than Sweetney once they both start playing starter minutes.

I agree. Nene already has proven this year when Camby went down that he can average 15 & 10 and over 2 blocks a game. There are nights when Camby starts and Nene outplays him off the bench.

Nene is light years ahead of all those guys. I wouldn't throw him in the egnima list.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/9/2005  8:37 AM
I think Nene is the quickest bigman I've ever seen. He is extreamely quick down low but he hasn't figured out how to use it effectively.

Dan Gadzuric is the most athletic center in the league and he has the same problem....he get's into foul trouble or wears himself out too fast.

Kaman is a guy that will be a top center maybe as soon as next year....he can run the floor, face up, post up, pass and block shots. He has shown a steady improvement and since January he has been playing really well....sometimes brilliant, sometimes average.

Stromile to me will be a double double guy easy with a few blocks per game. He's not lazy....he always produces when he plays more than his season average in minutes and has been a killer when he starts.

I've seen enough of Darko to know he is being wasted. He has some quick moves and he has confidence. He also has that Euro jumpshot. It hasn't been fair for him with Larry Brown coaching. Darko is wasting the most atheletic time of his career.

Kwame is a sensitive dude. All I know though is he gave Webber a heart attack that one game last season. Kwame was seriously out playing Webber on both ends.......the next game Kwame probably registered a DNP coaches decision.

Enigma or not.....The Knicks would be solid for years if Isiah can get one or more of these type of players.

[Edited by - enyspree on 02/09/2005 08:40:23]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/9/2005  9:50 AM
all 2nd round contracts include a team options (only partially guarenteed) for a 2nd year. We dont have to resign Ariza this year.

Briggs, I have seen the same thing w/ Stro. My friend watches every Mem game (big JWill fan) and says the same things most of us see. Not the best IQ hoops or otherwise, but a clear difference maker. He's also talked about how Stro's game has gotten better and he's added a nice mid range jumper to go with the slashing
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/9/2005  9:53 AM
I do think the MLE isnt the way to go. Using Nazr in a sign and trade will let you offer Stro the same kind of contract Crawford has. Something that starts around $5-6mm and ends around $9-$10mm. 7 years $50mm... something like that.

get the agent involved. If you include the $3mm then rather than lose him for nothing they get Nazr for a year at less than $3mm.. which is a good option for them. Mem has major $$ issues with Miller, Gasol, Battier all having their extensions kicking in
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
2/9/2005  9:57 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I do think the MLE isnt the way to go. Using Nazr in a sign and trade will let you offer Stro the same kind of contract Crawford has. Something that starts around $5-6mm and ends around $9-$10mm. 7 years $50mm... something like that.

get the agent involved. If you include the $3mm then rather than lose him for nothing they get Nazr for a year at less than $3mm.. which is a good option for them. Mem has major $$ issues with Miller, Gasol, Battier all having their extensions kicking in
I'd definitely assume the Knicks will use the MLE and Nazy's expiring contract this summer to improve the team. It's not a big difference whether they use the MLE on Stro and Nazy in a trade for someone else or Nazy in a trade for Stro and the MLE on someone else.

I think Ariza has a 1 year contract with an option on the 2nd year like Fish said. But you'd be crazy not to re-sign him this summer because he'll only get better and harder to re-sign as he gets older and more experience.
The enigma that is Stromile Swift

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy