[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (Marv to Nets)
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/8/2005  10:23 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/39583.htm

MARV MOVING TO NETS? YES!

By ANDREW MARCHAND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MARV ALBERT
Email Archives
Print Reprint

February 8, 2005 -- The Nets will soon announce that Marv Albert will be the new voice of the team on YES, The Post has learned. The official word should come in the next week or two, according to sources.
Albert will call approximately 50 games next year, while the Nets' longtime TV play-by-player Ian Eagle — if he agrees to stay on — would do the remainder. Though the length of Albert's contract is not yet known, it would figure to extend through the Nets' move to Brooklyn, which they hope to make in 2007.

"I can't say anything about it," said Albert, who had the radio call of the Super Bowl Sunday.

Albert, who turns 64 in June, is arguably the best NBA play-by-player of all-time. After he broke up with the Knicks, his name was linked to the Heat, the Lakers and the Nets. Both Miami and Los Angeles eventually made it clear they did not want to unseat their current play-by-players.

While YES backed Eagle, Nets new owner Bruce Ratner thought Albert's Brooklyn connection — he was born there — would serve the team well. Unfortunately for Eagle, he grew up in Queens.

Eagle, 35, is faced with a difficult decision. His contract ends at the conclusion of this year. After 11 seasons, he has started a relationship with Net fans akin to what Albert built with Knick fans. Eagle, who does NFL and college hoops for CBS, must figure out if he wants to accept a diminished role or go find another team to call his own.

"I'd rather not comment until the situation plays itself out," Eagle said prior to the Nets-Sixers game last night.

He would figure to have options. CBS could give him more assignments, or Eagle could land with another NBA team. He also could be sought by WFAN — where he has been a host for a long time — or even 1050-ESPN Radio to do talk shows.

YES would have to be creative to find other opportunities for Eagle to keep his workload at the same level it is now.

There is a possibility that Albert could make a few guest appearances this season, which will make for an uncomfortable broadcast if he is side-by-side with Eagle.

It will be interesting to watch how Net fans react. Back in June, when the possibility of Albert taking Eagle's job was first raised, callers to WFAN's "Mike & the Mad Dog" Show — where the subject was an intense topic — did not overwhelmingly favor one side or the other.

Albert is currently the voice of the NBA for TNT. His nearly four-decade run with the Knicks ended after last season when he said he resigned because he wouldn't agree to the Cablevision/Knicks/MSG owner James Dolan's censorship. Dolan later claimed he let Albert go.

Since Albert was making over a million dollars — $2 million, according to some sources — for 50-to-60 games, money was also a big factor.

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/8/2005  10:32 AM
now *thats* insulting. The who Marv thing. The guy's the voice of the Knicks for 30 years for crying out loud.. the Nets are smart. Eagle sucks... he's simply dreadfull
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
2/8/2005  12:00 PM
Oh man Im sick, Marv is the voice of the Knicks. Him calling Net games just isnt going to sound right
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/8/2005  12:41 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/8/2005  1:09 PM
I refuse to beleive this report. He is not a Net broadcaster. It's gotta be his kid. Yes! It has to be.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/8/2005  1:15 PM
Say it aint so Marv!?! Say it aint so.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Panos
Member: #520
2/8/2005  1:23 PM
What do you mean "say it ain't so, Marv?"
He was canned by MSG! He doesn't owe us anything!
We should have been up in arms when he got fired!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/8/2005  1:34 PM
Sometimes we will never no the whole story.

Marv was let go for being negative? With the mess the team gets itself into, thats just telling the truth!

Marv was too expensive? AT 2 million per, thats joke. He bought out shandon at 20 mil! Insulting!

Perhaps Marv was happy to part ways for reasons we may never know, or Cablevision had its reasons.

Nets, even depleted, as vescey ranted this morning can do things the Knicks jsut can't seem to get done. Vince is proving to be a bargain!

Nets in Brooklyn, Nets with Marv, Thorn pulling the strings, NYC might have a better shot hoisting a banner in Brooklyn first.

Dolan/Isiah must rebuild now, and do it for the long term otherwise the brand loyalty might diminish.

I thought Nets would have swung a deal to get Telfair! That would be somthing! Two cuz fighting for bragging rights, Young Bassy 10 years Stephs junior! Thats a story!

Face it, the reality is, pro teams must earn your business! NEts pull a few right strings, they might just steal NYC from the Knicks!
Bippity10
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #574
2/8/2005  1:38 PM
I once heard Marv say that the Knicks were playing poorly. Comments like that are what get you fired. Good riddance.
I just hope that people will like me
Silverfuel
Member: #268
USA
2/8/2005  2:00 PM
Posted by Panos:

You misunderstood, I was expressing my disbelief to the guy who created this thread 'Marv,' not 'Marv Albert. I can see why you misunderstood, it was a very poor way of expressing myself. sorry bout the confusion.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Marv
2/8/2005  2:22 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Panos:

You misunderstood, I was expressing my disbelief to the guy who created this thread 'Marv,' not 'Marv Albert. I can see why you misunderstood, it was a very poor way of expressing myself. sorry bout the confusion.

Boy do I wish I could say it an't so. HOw is he gonna feel when he has to broadcast from the Garden, looking up at those jerseys and bannners, seeing Johnny Hoops and Clyde. It's gonna be weirder than seeing Clyde in a Cavs uni or patrick in sick Sonic green. Man i'm gonna feel ill myself. i don't even know if you get the YES broadcasts of Knick/Net games on TimeWarnerCable. i would definitely check that out to hear how'd he broadcast them. marv with the Nets - IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/8/2005  2:54 PM
Dang, that's definately a kick in the nuts, but you know he will atleast be objective, replacing either of the two biggest morons in announcing: Kelly Trepuka (spelling?) or Ian Eagle. Maybe the Nets games will be tolerable to watch when nothing else is on.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
2/8/2005  6:43 PM
I really hate Dolan man. He destroys everything he touches.

And to Bippity10, you could not be any more wrong. When the team stinks, you are supposed to say it, its being objective you retard.

The fact that Marv got fired cause he was not ready to suck IT's and Dolan's **** like the rest of people ast MSG and the Knicks in general is terrible.

This ownership is making it harder and harder to remain a Knick fan.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/8/2005  7:07 PM
let's offer up Mike Breen & a future conditional draft pick for Marv back.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
2/8/2005  7:21 PM
Posted by simrud:

And to Bippity10, you could not be any more wrong. When the team stinks, you are supposed to say it, its being objective you retard.

I think that has to be sarcasm from Bip.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/8/2005  10:45 PM
[quote]
Posted by simrud:

The fact that Marv got fired cause he was not ready to suck IT's and Dolan's **** like the rest of people ast MSG and the Knicks in general is terrible. [quote]

You know Marv Albert would not Blow Dolan, but he might "bite" him!

Maybe thats what happened, Marv Albert got dressed up and freakin bit his ass good!

I used to listen to marve in the late 70s' when the team was never on TV in the garden, and often on the road. Back then, they maybe had 20 game on the TV, all road games. You had to listen to the radio. Marv was the voice!

Marv being a freak? Thats cool by me. To each his own!
Mondo
Member: #867
2/8/2005  11:13 PM
This sucks.
Marv
2/8/2005  11:26 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Marv being a freak? Thats cool by me. To each his own!

Yeah somehow Marv pulled that whole thing off. Though I remember his father in court almost having a heart attack as that woman was testifying!

I also remember his first public appearance afterward. On the Letterman show. Dave says, "Biting, Marv? Biting?? The only thing I've ever bitten during sex is my lip."
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (Marv to Nets)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy