[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Briggs question, revisited...
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/9/2005  12:40 PM
sure they noticed it...i also think they'll notice his contract eating up their cap for the next 3 years too...but we can agree to disagree on this one...i'm not trying to say i know any more than you do about what SAC's plans are in regards to CWebb.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2005  12:48 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Yes, expiring contracts can help to make trades, but let's look at all the expiring Max-ish deals this year that haven't netted JACK, and most of which have been on the block all year:
That's because other teams aren't able to take back bad contracts along with a star player to the extent that the Knicks. That's why expiring contracts have a uniquely high value for the Knicks. Maybe those other players' expiring contracts haven't been used in trades, but you may have noticed that every Knick expiring contract is always used in a trade. (With Layden, it was on mostly garbage players. With Isiah, it's been on a star--Marbury--and a young player with upside--Crawford.)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/09/2005 12:49:31]
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
2/9/2005  12:53 PM
Posted by TMS:

sure they noticed it...i also think they'll notice his contract eating up their cap for the next 3 years too...but we can agree to disagree on this one...i'm not trying to say i know any more than you do about what SAC's plans are in regards to CWebb.

Fair enough. I still think Sacto competes enough with Webb to not worry about rebuilding yet.

Think about it, though: if they traded Peja for Artest (edit: this summer, not now), their starting lineup would be:

Bibby
Cuttino
Artest
Webber
Miller

The Maloofs are rich enough to do it, and that team is good enough to win it all, most likely.

I just think they'll never get equal value for how good Webber still actually is and it doesn't make sense to trade him. Though, if Sacto is doing badly NEXT year, the time to do that trade would be at next year's trade deadline when they only have to put up with two months of Tim and Penny. No way they take Kurt though.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 02/09/2005 12:57:02]
¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/9/2005  1:30 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by crzymdups:

Yes, expiring contracts can help to make trades, but let's look at all the expiring Max-ish deals this year that haven't netted JACK, and most of which have been on the block all year:
That's because other teams aren't able to take back bad contracts along with a star player to the extent that the Knicks. That's why expiring contracts have a uniquely high value for the Knicks. Maybe those other players' expiring contracts haven't been used in trades, but you may have noticed that every Knick expiring contract is always used in a trade. (With Layden, it was on mostly garbage players. With Isiah, it's been on a star--Marbury--and a young player with upside--Crawford.)

Bonnie,

Marbs was made available because they could retool by moving Hardaways contract. This does present a problem. Marb is also viewed as being a flawed character and can be problem. Anfernee is nothing but cap fodder, and also viewed by some as a piece of shoyt.

Craw had 3 years to prove himself worthy, and likely would have lost his job to Jay Williams. The bulls so disinchanted with him have drafted many guards proving him DEspensable. We got him because we gave the Bulls some nices pieces that would not burden them, and cap room. We got a talented, but in a way an on-court head case that we hope will emerge. We need to take that risk. But he is no blue chip.

The superstars you hope to get will be damaged goods at some level. Either they are not holding up to their contract, or have som other flaw.

Layer upon layer, you will never have a championship caliber team, unless you have winning character, guys with pride, intellegence on and off the court.

The model is not the 1990s team, but the 70's team, the Detroit team of last year, not run down superstars, but collectively add up to somthing greater. If you try to put cast offs together, you get a sum of pieces that collectively, go THUD! SPLAT!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2005  1:44 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by crzymdups:

Bonnie,

Marbs was made available because they could retool by moving Hardaways contract. This does present a problem. Marb is also viewed as being a flawed character and can be problem. Anfernee is nothing but cap fodder, and also viewed by some as a piece of shoyt.

Craw had 3 years to prove himself worthy, and likely would have lost his job to Jay Williams. The bulls so disinchanted with him have drafted many guards proving him DEspensable. We got him because we gave the Bulls some nices pieces that would not burden them, and cap room. We got a talented, but in a way an on-court head case that we hope will emerge. We need to take that risk. But he is no blue chip.

The superstars you hope to get will be damaged goods at some level. Either they are not holding up to their contract, or have som other flaw.
If that means a guy like Artest, Brand, Pierce, maybe Zach Randolph, or maybe some other players, then I'm fine with that. Thud! Splat!

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/09/2005 13:44:59]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/9/2005  1:54 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by TMS:

Fair enough. I still think Sacto competes enough with Webb to not worry about rebuilding yet.

Think about it, though: if they traded Peja for Artest (edit: this summer, not now), their starting lineup would be:

Bibby
Cuttino
Artest
Webber
Miller

The Maloofs are rich enough to do it, and that team is good enough to win it all, most likely.

I just think they'll never get equal value for how good Webber still actually is and it doesn't make sense to trade him. Though, if Sacto is doing badly NEXT year, the time to do that trade would be at next year's trade deadline when they only have to put up with two months of Tim and Penny. No way they take Kurt though.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 02/09/2005 12:57:02]

that team would be good no doubt, but it could also blow up big time in their faces as well w/Artest being the powderkeg that he is & all...maybe you're right about them not taking on KT's contract...it doesn't seem to me that he has many teams interested in him at this point.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Briggs question, revisited...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy