djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/7/2005  4:14 PM
Hardaway: Old Suns team didn't buy into D'Antoni's system

BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

February 6, 2005

PHOENIX - Penny Hardaway and Stephon Marbury departed Phoenix 13 months ago when they were traded to the Knicks. They returned to America West Arena last night to find a vastly different Suns team that leads the NBA with 109 points per game and now ranks as a legitimate title contender with its fast-paced style.

Asked last night if he's shocked by the turnaround, Hardaway said Suns coach Mike D'Antoni wasn't able to sell his European-style offense to his players last season, but that changed when Phoenix added point guard Steve Nash and small forward Quentin Richardson as free agents, using the salary-cap space created by the Marbury trade.

"Coach D'Antoni is a great coach," Hardaway said. "He tried to have us buy into this system when we were here, and we really didn't. There was so much turmoil going on. Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson came in and had the type of game Coach wanted. That's up and down, push the ball, kick it ahead and it doesn't matter who shoots or who scores ... We had enough on the team to get it done, but we just didn't buy into the system."

Hardaway was upset in Phoenix because his playing time was reduced to make way for younger players. Marbury was in the middle of the turmoil that enveloped the Suns.

"It was like guys talking behind each other's backs, guys being selfish, everybody was trying to get their own," Hardaway said. "That leads to trades, and that broke the team up. It doesn't seem like they have any of that going on right now."
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/7/2005  4:27 PM
so lets recap:
Penny doesnt buy into a coaches system (translation, I'm doing it my way) but other guys are selfish.

Penny and Marbury go bye bye and people buy into the system and have the league's best record.

Hmmm...
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
2/7/2005  8:39 PM
Posted by fishmike:

so lets recap:
Penny doesnt buy into a coaches system (translation, I'm doing it my way) but other guys are selfish.

Penny and Marbury go bye bye and people buy into the system and have the league's best record.

Hmmm...

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2005  10:10 PM
was Penny saying that Marb didn't buy into the system?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/8/2005  8:09 AM
Sounds like Penny was indirectly saying that neither him or Marbury bought into the system, thus the rest of the team couldn't and after they left, the team, as a whole, was able to buy into the system.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/8/2005  8:19 AM
i'm still predicting a crash for this Suns team in the playoffs. Frankly I'm rooting for it too.
nykdunk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #570
USA
2/8/2005  9:41 AM
Offense wins games. Defense wins championships. The Suns won't win it this year unless they suddenly turn into an elite defensive team.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/8/2005  9:53 AM
the Suns have an exciting style thats always won games and has never produced long post season runs. I do think they can and will advance. They would do very well to move Marion for a real center, even if he's got less talent. The perfect guy would be Brad Miller, but I cant believe he would be on the block. Another decent option would be Eddie Curry or Big Z. Thing w/ Pho is they have the pieces in place to make such a deal.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
2/8/2005  10:03 AM
I think there needs to be a match between a coaches' system and the personality of the players-

Nash, coming from Dallas, was a better fit than Marbury.

Also- didn't D'Antoni take over mid season last year?
hardaway: old suns team didn't buy into d'antoni's system

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy