The Anti-Kurt Thomas Obsession
Author Thread
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
2/6/2005  10:47 PM
OldFan,

You hit the nail on the head again. The Knick options, coaching and team makeup are the problem not one specific player on the roster, like Kurt. Scapegoating him is a gross oversimplification of this teams' problem.

It's interesting that we have Sweetney. I like him thusfar, and can see some reason to be hopeful but every player (except Darko)selected above him has, for the most part, had a strong impact on their respective teams. Here was the order of the 2003 NBA Draft up to our pick:

1) Cleveland - LeBron James, SVSM HS
2) Detroit - Darko Milicic, Serbia
3) Denver - Carmelo Anthony, Syracuse
4) Toronto - Chris Bosh, Georgia Tech
5) Miami - Dwyane Wade, Marquette
6) L.A. Clippers - Chris Kaman, Central Michigan
7) Chicago - Kirk Hinrich, Kansas
8) Milwaukee - T.J. Ford, Texas
9) New York - Mike Sweetney, Georgetown

But then look at much of the rest of the first round:

Washington - Jarvis Hayes, Georgia
Golden State - Mickael Pietrus, France
Seattle - Nick Collison, Kansas
Memphis - Marcus Banks (to Boston)
Seattle - Luke Ridnour, Oregon
Orlando - Reece Gaines, Louisville
Boston - Troy Bell (to Memphis)
Phoenix - Zarko Cabarkapa, Serbia
New Orleans - David West, Xavier
Utah - Aleksandar Pavlovic, Serbia
Boston - Dahntay Jones (to Memphis)
Atlanta - Boris Diaw-Riffiod, France
New Jersey - Zoran Planinic, Croatia
Portland - Travis Outlaw, Starkville HS
L.A. Lakers - Brian Cook, Illinois
Detroit - Carlos Delfino, Argentina
Minnesota - Ndudi Ebi, Westbury Christian HS
Memphis - Kendrick Perkins (to Boston)
San Antonio - Leandro Barbosa (to Phoenix)
Dallas - Josh Howard, Wake Forest

While some of have had an impact, Ridenhour & Josh Howard being the most significant players thusfar and Barbosa, West, Hayes, Banks, Collison and a few others have shown flashes, none have done as well as the overwhelming majority of those selected from the 8th pick and upwards.

Sweetney seems to fall into the Barbosa, West, Hayes, etc. category thusfar. The question is will we see him, as a Knick, reach a higher level of performance.

Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
AUTOADVERT
TheFuture
Member: #807
Bangladesh
2/6/2005  10:55 PM
No, Sweets will be traded if not by the deadline, then in the summer. Isiah wants more than just flashes of a "good player". Everyone forgets that is was Zeke in indiana who gave O'neal, Tinsley, Fred Jones and all the other young guys there a chance and they produced. He shipped out everything else regardless of age. Just be patient, that is why we have Crawford under a 6 yr contract. Zeke is not trying to go for the quick fix, this is a 2 yr project from today. Next season, Penny, TT, Moochie, KT & baker will be gone. He will resign Nazr to a decent contract.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
2/6/2005  11:03 PM
KT might be a better fit somewhere else as others have mentioned but I dont believe he deserves the flak he gets either.There was a time when alot of people thought his career was over because of two very bad ankles.Some guys would have used that as an excuse but he played through it.

He isnt as mobile as most of us would like but he has been reliable,hard working and consistent.He is 32 and averaging a double-double and ranks 9th in rebounds.I disagree with those who try to downplay these stats.If it was so easy alot more people would be doing it and at 32,in this league its an accomplishment.

We have had so many overpaid scrubs come and go over the last few years we shouldnt go overboard criticizing someone who has earned his paycheck for the most part,his shortcomings aside.
KnickerBlogger
Member: #789
USA
2/7/2005  1:10 AM
Posted by PresIke:

Based upon what evidence can you convince anyone that he "sucks and there is no way around it"? I think some of you should just admit that your view is not based strongly on sufficient evidence other than "he sucks" which comes across like some kind of personal grudge. As Oldfan has indicated I think some of you just hate Kurt Thomas, for whatever reason.

Do we not recall the days when he was called Psycho Kurt? I never said the guy was exactly the same as Oak, but to say he is a terrible defender is a rather assinine statement.

Statistics can tell us a lot of things, but they don't tell the entire story. Kevin Garnett, who is considered one of the best defenders in the NBA is "giving up" a 50% FG against his opponents. How can that be? I wonder if some of you Al-Kurta members got your information from the writer of KnickerBlogger.com who loves statistics, but relies on them a bit much when supporting some of his arguments.

There are a lot of people that think K.G's defensive reputation is better than it actually is.
Here are links to 2 articles he wrote regarding PF defenders, one of which is specifically about Kurt Thomas.

Dirk, The Daring Defender? - http://www.knickerblogger.net/archive/2005_01_23_kb.htm

My Post vs. NY Post - http://www.knickerblogger.net/archive/2004_12_26_kb.htm

While 82games.com is a fantastic site, we can probe deeper and see that these statistics can lie (like the famous book "How to Lie With Statistics"). A lot of these statistics are strongly based upon coaching and one's teamates' ability to defend. Duncan (who the author refers as the "best defender") may be a great defender, but the Spurs are also run like a machine. The entire team is excellent defensively. Bruce Bowen and Ginobli are very strong perimeter defenders preventing Duncan from having to constantly come off of his man, and Malik Rose is also good.

Instead Kurt is surrounded by HORRIBLE defenders making him look weaker, as I mentioned in the initial post. Marbury and Jamal allow an incredible amount of lane penetration from their opponents. This forces the Knicks' fowards and centers to come off their men and help, which is one of the reasons he and Nazr foul so much and allow their men open looks...leading to higher FG percentages.

If you ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES, as has been commented on by several professional observers during games (i.e. Mike Breen who can be critical of players as well), Kurt is a strong one on one defender most of the time. Is he athletic? No. But he is physical. I don't see how you can argue that he is "soft." Where is your evidence to support this point? Have watched the Knicks over the years, man? Remember his play against Alonzo Mourning in the 1999 Miami series?

KT's not a great defender. He's not a shot blocker. Nor is he a shut down defender. His man-to-man defense has slipped in the last few years. As a high post pick & roll guy, he doesn't get many offensive boards. Also his post game has evaporated. I cringe every time he decides to go into the post, to put up that weak turn around jumper.

As for these "professional observers" I recall during one Knick game, the announcers saying that Kurt Thomas should be voted on to a All Defensive Team. Thinking that KT is more deserving than one of Duncan, Rasheed, Brand, Kirilenko, Bowen, Chandler, or Prince makes me wonder how credible these "professionals" are.

http://www.knickerblogger.net
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
2/7/2005  6:45 AM
Comparing Kurt to Oak is absurd. Comparing Kurt to Sweetney is also not fair..Sweetn has yet to be a starter for this team, but Kurt has. The overall result of having Kurt in the game damages our chances much more than not having him....With him on the court along with Nazr, we are a one dimentional team. With Sweetn on the court with whomever at Center, we have several options....Sweetn is much younger, and most of all, doesn't think that he is better than he actually is. He is humble, and would fit Marb and Crawf style much better...Kurt is old school, and will never be willing to follow Marburry as a leader, especially because Marb is a newcomer to the team. In fact, if it wasn't because of Houston's presence in the locker room, things could have been much worst.

I have mentioned this deficiencies in the beginning of the season, because I knew that there is no way that Kurt would have been able to cooperate with Marb. He has been subject to trade rumors since last season, and that along is a problem....Isiah could have done this team a huge favor by trading last season for Malik Rose when he had the chance.....

We need a new direction at least to change the taste in our mouth. Kurt is the easiest contract to move, so let him go....Do we really need a guy like Walker, I would say yes. He presents a lot more problems to opposing team than most PF in this league. His contract is not long, and we can definitely manage with it....Trade Penny and Kurt to them for Walker and a draft pick....
The true Knickabocker..........
PresIke
USA
2/7/2005  7:17 AM
Posted by KnickerBlogger:

KT's not a great defender. He's not a shot blocker. Nor is he a shut down defender. His man-to-man defense has slipped in the last few years. As a high post pick & roll guy, he doesn't get many offensive boards. Also his post game has evaporated. I cringe every time he decides to go into the post, to put up that weak turn around jumper.

As for these "professional observers" I recall during one Knick game, the announcers saying that Kurt Thomas should be voted on to a All Defensive Team. Thinking that KT is more deserving than one of Duncan, Rasheed, Brand, Kirilenko, Bowen, Chandler, or Prince makes me wonder how credible these "professionals" are.

Knickerblogger, thanks for responding. I do want to be clear here, I never intended my argument to be that Kurt is a "great defender," I just believe that he is not as bad as some have suggested. I think he is a quality defender, especially in comparison to the rest of the Knicks' starting lineup. I can see the argument for his defense slipping, but I don't think he is anywhere near to being poor in this category.

Of course, Duncan, Kirilenko, Rasheed, Prince and Chandler are better, my point about the statistics was that they don't tell the whole story (i.e. why Kevin Garnett has an opponents field goal percentage of 50). Do I expect the Knick announcers to be biased? Yes, (especially in light of Marv Albert's depatrute from the MSG booth) but that doesn't mean everything they say is false. It's not necessarily a slippery slope.

If you checked my earlier comments, I already stated that KT has no post game, or move to the basket and offensive game (the mid-range jumper) hurts his offensive rebounding. My question was whether this would be as much of a problem if the team was structured to compliment his game, as any good team should be. Most players in the NBA have some kind of flaw. If we had a SF that played significant minutes who actually knew how to rebound, especially offensively we might have less complaints about Kurt. Or how about a Center who had a REAL post game? Or A SG who penetrated more?

The point is the Knicks' problem is not ONE player. It's easy for anyone to point a finger at a given player as the reason why this team is playing so horribly now, (a popular thing in the papers and Knick forums lately, which I believe is a sign of frustration, and search for scapegoats) but this is a structural thing more than anything. KT probably doesn't belong on the team as it stands, and probably should be traded to a team that has a strong post player already ASAP because by the time we will be able to use him he will be too old, but let's not treat the guy like a loser.

[Edited by - presike on 02/07/2005 07:20:03]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/7/2005  9:36 AM
Oak had that Ewing fella in his prime. The years have been kind to Oak, he seems to get better and better each year he is retired.

If KT had a in prime Ewing he would be an allstar!

KT rebounds well, had 21 the other nite. He is not an athletic player, but can shoot.

I think Kwame would be very frustrating for knick fans if he played here at center. We need a bigger presence at the 5.

KT is a very good role player. He is our best big man now, that statement is messed up cuz it does not say much about KT, but the lack of depth we have in size. KT would be our 2nd or 3rd best big man, and he would be great in that role!

All said, we should trade him, but its hard ot move him with his contract for youth alone.

I think Isiah was smart to resign him, we'd really be in trouble without him this year.
diderotn
USA
2/7/2005  10:15 AM
What is our record now???? aren't we in enough trouble??? get a grip, Kurt is worthless in our system. We need a PF that can guard his position and help improve our team defense. Kurt doesn't provide any of that, especially with Nazr at cENTER....Something has to give, and at this point, Kurt is old and is getting older while Nazr and Sweetney are young and can get better....Get rid of Kurt old habbits, especially if we truly want to build around Marburry....

I think Isiah was smart to resign him, we'd really be in trouble without him this year.
KnickerBlogger
USA
2/7/2005  10:34 AM
PresIke - I read your original post, and I agree on most everything. The Knicks problems are not the fault of Kurt Thomas. It's easy to see why he's unpopular:

1. The Knicks have 2 wins in 2005.
2. He's taking away minutes from the Knicks best young player.
3. He's not fantastic at anything.
4. His flaws are obvious.
5. He doesn't compliment the rest of the team (I can't imagine many PFs that would - outside of Duncan).
6. His skills are eroding (look at his per minute stats - almost everything is down).
7. He has the third longest contract on the team.

I wouldn't want NY to trade him for a song either. He doesn't fit in with their plans neither now nor in the future. He'd be a great role player for a team looking to win a championship with a weak bench (Phoenix I'm looking at you). Nonetheless his large contract might scare off a team like that (Phoenix - I'm still looking at you).

If the Knicks can't sell him as the last piece to someone's championship, then I'd rather he come off the bench in favor of Sweetney. Let the Knicks see what they have in Mike. Let the guards play inside-out with Sweetney's post up game. Let Kurt provide the Knicks' second team with a viable scorer. Let him ease the burden from offensively challenged Jamison Brewer.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/7/2005  10:46 AM

If the Knicks can't sell him as the last piece to someone's championship, then I'd rather he come off the bench in favor of Sweetney. Let the Knicks see what they have in Mike. Let the guards play inside-out with Sweetney's post up game. Let Kurt provide the Knicks' second team with a viable scorer. Let him ease the burden from offensively challenged Jamison Brewer.

agreed here. And that's why KT will start until the end of February - to show his stuff to Houston, Spus, Phoenix, Dallas, etc.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
diderotn
USA
2/7/2005  11:14 AM
17 more days...Isiah doesn't have to wait until then to make a move...Infact, he always does a week before hand....

Posted by martin:

agreed here. And that's why KT will start until the end of February - to show his stuff to Houston, Spus, Phoenix, Dallas, etc.
PresIke
USA
2/7/2005  3:56 PM

PresIke - I read your original post, and I agree on most everything. The Knicks problems are not the fault of Kurt Thomas. It's easy to see why he's unpopular:

1. The Knicks have 2 wins in 2005.
2. He's taking away minutes from the Knicks best young player.
3. He's not fantastic at anything.
4. His flaws are obvious.
5. He doesn't compliment the rest of the team (I can't imagine many PFs that would - outside of Duncan).
6. His skills are eroding (look at his per minute stats - almost everything is down).
7. He has the third longest contract on the team.

I wouldn't want NY to trade him for a song either. He doesn't fit in with their plans neither now nor in the future. He'd be a great role player for a team looking to win a championship with a weak bench (Phoenix I'm looking at you). Nonetheless his large contract might scare off a team like that (Phoenix - I'm still looking at you).

KnickerBlogger -

I'm pretty much in agreement with you on all of your points. I have been advocating for Sweetney to start, like many Knick fans have been for a while. The last few games he's played in made me have a bit of a shortsided response of questioning his ability to start - due to his poor play - but after I thought about it one can see that this is going to happen to many young, inexperienced players. Since this team seems to be going no where fast it does seem to make sense for Sweetney to start and gain some experience. One could speculate that Isiah and Co. want to make Kurt look as good as possible for a potential trade by keeping him as a starter. Will it work? That's hard to say, but benching him will certainly not help his trade value, no? As I stated in my last response, I also think he should be traded to a team that could use a veteran PF off the bench (Phoenix does seem to fit, but it seems that there would have to be a third party to make the numbers work and for us to get any player of value, if not a draft pick).

I suppose my primary issue was that some of the criticisms of Kurt seemed to be emotionally based, rather than factual (all around). But like I said, I have no problems with trading Kurt. I suppose we'll see what happens.
KnickerBlogger
USA
2/9/2005  1:20 PM
Let's just say that the Knicks are unable to trade Thomas by the deadline. Then would you start him down the stretch in hopes of keeping his value up until you work on a deal this summer?

I wouldn't. The reason being that Kurt's trade value shouldn't decline if you claim to be giving minutes to Sweetney as part of the rebuilding process, and not due to his declining skills. Big men are always in demand in this league, and Kurt's hard working personality will help to keep his value high.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2005  1:30 PM

Let's just say that the Knicks are unable to trade Thomas by the deadline. Then would you start him down the stretch in hopes of keeping his value up until you work on a deal this summer?

I wouldn't. The reason being that Kurt's trade value shouldn't decline if you claim to be giving minutes to Sweetney as part of the rebuilding process, and not due to his declining skills. Big men are always in demand in this league, and Kurt's hard working personality will help to keep his value high.
The reason his value could decline if you don't start him is not that other GMs would think Sweetney beat him out at the position due to Kurt's declining skills; it's that his stats would go down from 12 and 10 to something like 9 and 8. Fans have wanted to start Kurt to keep his stats and trade value up for about 3 years now; eventually you either have to trade him or replace him in the starting lineup

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/09/2005 13:30:54]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/9/2005  1:37 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

The reason his value could decline if you don't start him is not that other GMs would think Sweetney beat him out at the position due to Kurt's declining skills; it's that his stats would go down from 12 and 10 to something like 9 and 8. Fans have wanted to start Kurt to keep his stats and trade value up for about 3 years now; eventually you either have to trade him or replace him in the starting lineup

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02/09/2005 13:30:54]

Wouldn't you still assume that GM's adjust for minutes played, teams going with youth, etc? I think they do enough vetting to determine a player's value in light of whether his numbers are down due to a team's changing direction.
diderotn
USA
2/9/2005  1:51 PM
Is Isiah back from Spain yet??????
The Anti-Kurt Thomas Obsession

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy