[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The Marbury Problem
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/6/2005  9:33 PM
Yea lets discount the 37pts Marbury scored that game and say he lost us the game because he didn't take the last shot.

Maybe we should do it this way. Marbury doesn't take a shot the whole game and we get blown out by 30. But on the last possesion of the game Marbury can shoot the last shot.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/6/2005  9:46 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Yea lets discount the 37pts Marbury scored that game and say he lost us the game because he didn't take the last shot.

Maybe we should do it this way. Marbury doesn't take a shot the whole game and we get blown out by 30. But on the last possesion of the game Marbury can shoot the last shot.

no question about it. without stephon we'd get blown out every game but if he's gonna have the ball in his hands, which he should since he's currently our best player then he needs to make better decisions.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/6/2005  10:17 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

no question about it. without stephon we'd get blown out every game but if he's gonna have the ball in his hands, which he should since he's currently our best player then he needs to make better decisions.

that's the simple point we've been trying to make newyork...no one is saying that Marbury's awesome game should be discounted...but when you're the best player & having a game like that, you don't give up the ball to a guy who'd just missed on a wide open attempt & made another boneheaded pass the prior 2 possessions when you know you have been having your way in the 2nd half offensively when you took it to the hole yourself...it just didn't make sense to me, & pretty much went to reinforce the opinion i have that he sometimes tends to shy away from taking that last shot when he has it...he did the same thing in that HOU game at MSG a couple weeks ago, passing it off to Crawford w/the shotclock expiring instead of taking the shot himself.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/6/2005  10:35 PM

Oh come on man. Give us a little more credit. Marbury is the most important player on the Knicks. The team wouldnt be in any game without him. He is the heart and soul of the team. That is all the more reason he shouldnt pass the ball for the last shot and take it himself.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
newyorknewyork
2/6/2005  10:51 PM
I want Marbury to take the last shot to. And I was pissed off when he passed the ball to Penny the 2nd time even before Penny made his move. As soon as the ball left Marbury's hand I was like no what are you doing. But I also noticed the zone around Marbury following his every step. Plus he passed to Penny very early in the shot clock so I don't think that Penny taking the last shot was the plan. Players like to take there shots in rhythem. What I was thinking was he expected Hardaway to pass the ball back to him so he could shoot in rhythem of getting the pass. That may not be a fact, but it makes sense.

If we had a big man who can draw as much attention down low as Marbury does up top then we would be pretty hard to stop down the stretch of games. Around 16-17games lost by 6 or less pts. And other than Marbury we have a team full of inconsistant players who would be backups on good teams. Crawford is to inconsistant right now. Marbury has no other player that takes pressure off of him. But yet he is shooting at 47fg% this season.

Say we somehow land a talented big man in the offseason. Sweetney bust his ass in the offseason. Ariza continues his development. All of a sudden we have a talented 3 man tandem with Marbury-Crawford-Big man. With Sweetney & Ariza playing big roles. Its a process.
Silverfuel
USA
2/6/2005  11:07 PM
newyorknewyork: Its not just the Sac game that brought about that feeling but it has happened in 3 games already this season that with the game on the line Marbury decided against taking the last shot. The Sac game just fits the pattern for this years.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/6/2005  11:43 PM
So this is kind of like a pitcher throwing a one hitter and losing the game 1 to 0 and the media killing him instead of his team's offense for not getting one lousy run. Now it all makes sense.
Silverfuel
USA
2/7/2005  6:46 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

So this is kind of like a pitcher throwing a one hitter and losing the game 1 to 0 and the media killing him instead of his team's offense for not getting one lousy run. Now it all makes sense.
This has absolutely nothing in common with that situation but I am glad it makes sense.

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 02/07/2005 07:10:58]
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/7/2005  7:00 AM
The Marb problem is much simpler than a lot of us understand. I do believe that Marb has all of the skills necessary to be the best PG in the game, but he doesn't utilize his skills wisely. According to a little research that I did recently, I realize that when Marb has at least 10 assists, 7 times out of 10 the Knicks normally wins. Granted that to collect assists, your teammates have to make shots, but in the same token, as a PG, it is his job to set his guys up.

Improvement that Marb MUST make:

stop being so careless with the ball, when making a pass, be sure that the recepient of that pass is ready for it. Second, he needs to have better communication with his courtmates, but that will come with when he has more athletic guys around him. Last but not least, defense; Marb needs to learn the true fundamental of playing D. Positioning, hands movements, and desire to play it right are all key to being a good defender. He needs to pickup his man from their back court and nagg them until a bad pass occurs. As the leader of our team, he needs to set the tone. Full court defense tends to disrupt the flow of an ofense.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
USA
2/7/2005  10:42 AM

I want Marbury to take the last shot to. And I was pissed off when he passed the ball to Penny the 2nd time even before Penny made his move. As soon as the ball left Marbury's hand I was like no what are you doing. But I also noticed the zone around Marbury following his every step. Plus he passed to Penny very early in the shot clock so I don't think that Penny taking the last shot was the plan. Players like to take there shots in rhythem. What I was thinking was he expected Hardaway to pass the ball back to him so he could shoot in rhythem of getting the pass. That may not be a fact, but it makes sense.

If we had a big man who can draw as much attention down low as Marbury does up top then we would be pretty hard to stop down the stretch of games. Around 16-17games lost by 6 or less pts. And other than Marbury we have a team full of inconsistant players who would be backups on good teams. Crawford is to inconsistant right now. Marbury has no other player that takes pressure off of him. But yet he is shooting at 47fg% this season.

Say we somehow land a talented big man in the offseason. Sweetney bust his ass in the offseason. Ariza continues his development. All of a sudden we have a talented 3 man tandem with Marbury-Crawford-Big man. With Sweetney & Ariza playing big roles. Its a process.

i don't think he should have passed it off to begin with...there was like 5 seconds left on the clock & he should have driven the ball to the hole like he was doing all game long...Penny is the goat for dribbling into a double team, but he shouldn't have had the ball in his hands to begin with...that's the only problem i had w/Marbury in that game.

i agree w/what you said in the second paragraph...it IS a process & we all need to understand that...but Marbury still needs to be more assertive when it comes to taking the shots to win or lose a game for your team...if he wants to be the franchise guy, then he needs to take on that role...right now Jamal Crawford is alot more fearless than he is when it comes to taking those types of shots.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
2/7/2005  10:43 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

not really.
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
2/7/2005  3:20 PM
You fans just don't know what you want....When he takes the last shot, you call him selfish. When he gives it up, he is a chocker!!! Makeup your freaking minds.....It is the coach's responsibility to draw plays and specificially point out who he wants to take the last shot. He will also instruct that same player to pass it to an open shooter if he is doubleteamed.....Don't blame Marb if the coaches here in N.Y haven't instructed him to do that.....
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
USA
2/7/2005  3:28 PM
no, actually that's not what we said at all...try to follow along with the discussion.
Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2005  4:33 PM
Posted by diderotn:

You fans just don't know what you want....When he takes the last shot, you call him selfish. When he gives it up, he is a chocker!!! Makeup your freaking minds.....It is the coach's responsibility to draw plays and specificially point out who he wants to take the last shot. He will also instruct that same player to pass it to an open shooter if he is doubleteamed.....Don't blame Marb if the coaches here in N.Y haven't instructed him to do that.....
That's a good point. That's exactly what they're saying.
Bonn1997
USA
2/7/2005  4:33 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

not really.
Can you explain the difference?
newyorknewyork
2/7/2005  4:40 PM
Posted by TMS:

i don't think he should have passed it off to begin with...there was like 5 seconds left on the clock & he should have driven the ball to the hole like he was doing all game long...Penny is the goat for dribbling into a double team, but he shouldn't have had the ball in his hands to begin with...that's the only problem i had w/Marbury in that game.

i agree w/what you said in the second paragraph...it IS a process & we all need to understand that...but Marbury still needs to be more assertive when it comes to taking the shots to win or lose a game for your team...if he wants to be the franchise guy, then he needs to take on that role...right now Jamal Crawford is alot more fearless than he is when it comes to taking those types of shots.

The only problem I have is when people say."He lost us the game" or that we are losing games because of him. When he is the main reason we have an opportunity to win the game in the end.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/7/2005  4:43 PM
wait a sec.. you guys arent saying Marbury has played well late in games are you? Are you kidding? Passing the ball is one thing. Passing it to Jamal when he's 28 feet from the basket w/ 1.8 seconds on the clock is choking. Thats just bad basketball.

Marbury has played some good games but has NOT been consistant lately, and when the Knicks have had a chance to put games away in the final minutes Marbury has NOT done anything to accomplish that for us.

I dont know what games people are watching
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
USA
2/7/2005  4:46 PM
The only problem I have is when people say."He lost us the game" or that we are losing games because of him. When he is the main reason we have an opportunity to win the game in the end.

i agree w/that too...i said on the game thread that Marbury was the reason they were in that game to begin with...i just didn't like that decision to give up the ball when he'd had his way scoring at will in the 2nd half w/the game on the line...this is why i like discussing things w/you newyork, you don't twist people's words around to mean something they don't...too bad everyone doesn't follow that example around here.
TMS
USA
2/7/2005  4:47 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:

not really.
Can you explain the difference?

if you'd been following along w/what i've been posting you wouldn't need me to explain the difference, because your example doesn't apply at all to a thing i've said on this thread.
Silverfuel
USA
2/7/2005  5:13 PM
This is really boring because some here dont read the posts before commenting on their own. No one is going after Stephon. On this thread, most of the people are saying Stephon shouldnt pass off the last second shot. That is different from saying we lost the game because of stephon.
The Marbury Problem

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy