[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marburry was badly disrespected on TNT.....
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
2/4/2005  10:00 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by islesfan:

"[Nash's] getting everyone the ball. Everyone loves a teammate that gets you the ball in a position to score," Shawn Marion, Marbury's former teammate, told Insider earlier this month when comparing Nash and Marbury. "Last year we had so many guys who could score, yet our point guard was taking a lot of the shots. That's the difference."

Suns center Amare Stoudemire put it more succinctly.

"Nash creates opportunities to get easy baskets. The game of basketball isn't easy. But he helps make it easy. ... That's what real point guards do."
I guess Stoudemire just has a very short memory. When he was actually playing with Marbury, he talked about Marbury (and Marion) elevating his play.
http://scores.sportsline.com/b/page/pressbox/0%2C1328%2C6174538%2C00.html

LOL In one particular game in his rookie year?? I do appreciate the effort though. It must have taken you awhile to find one little comment like that if you had to go back to the midpoint of his rookie year.
I think he was commenting on how Marbury had helped him all season. It's not like he said that one game was unusual from the rest of the season.

"That felt good because I was so on my game that night, Stephon and Shawn did a good job of feeding me the ball when I was hot."

How do you get "all season" from that?

If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/4/2005  10:07 AM
all right; I'll admit I didn't notice the article was refering to just one night the first time I read it. I'll look for one that refers to a longer time span just to make you guys happy
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/4/2005  10:11 AM
Everybody should know by now that the difference between kidd and nash, and every other pg is that, they run as soon as they get the ball and the entire team is runnig right with them. It doesn't matter if the opponent made the shot ( freethrow, or transition bucket)as soon as he gets the ball they run.

As much as IT talks about athletisim and running steph refuses to run 90% of the time, and it's sickning to watch especially from a team that need to score a bunch because there deffensively challenge.
ES
Bonn1997
USA
2/4/2005  10:17 AM
Posted by knicks1248:

Everybody should know by now that the difference between kidd and nash, and every other pg is that, they run as soon as they get the ball and the entire team is runnig right with them. It doesn't matter if the opponent made the shot ( freethrow, or transition bucket)as soon as he gets the ball they run.

As much as IT talks about athletisim and running steph refuses to run 90% of the time, and it's sickning to watch especially from a team that need to score a bunch because there deffensively challenge.
Steph doesn't refuse to run; there's just no opportunity. You need defensive stops to run. We don't get that.
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
2/4/2005  10:19 AM
Marbury's a much better guard in the halfcourt, breaking guys down and setting people up. He had a running team in Phoenix and Nash clearly runs it better than he.

Why doesn't Isiah put Marbury in a situation where he'll build a halfcourt team built around defense? It boggles my mind.
#Knickstaps
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
2/4/2005  10:23 AM
Posted by knicks1248:

Because that's not Marbury's game anymore. He's slowed down because he has bad wheels. He'll run the fast break when he has a chance but he's not going to push the ball and up the tempo the way other PG's do. His game now is get into the half court and either penetrate, shoot or pick and roll. That's it.

I was thinking back to Marbury's first game as a Knick against the Cavs and how he did nothing but pass and didn't look for his own shot. It was like he was saying "See, I'm not a selfish player." Usually when someone goes out of their way to prove to you that they aren't something, it means that they really are. Kind of like when Marbury claimed to the the best PG in the NBA and proceeded to go on a scoring binge but it took away from the rest of the team and we all know what their record is since.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/4/2005  10:39 AM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by islesfan:

"[Nash's] getting everyone the ball. Everyone loves a teammate that gets you the ball in a position to score," Shawn Marion, Marbury's former teammate, told Insider earlier this month when comparing Nash and Marbury. "Last year we had so many guys who could score, yet our point guard was taking a lot of the shots. That's the difference."

Suns center Amare Stoudemire put it more succinctly.

"Nash creates opportunities to get easy baskets. The game of basketball isn't easy. But he helps make it easy. ... That's what real point guards do."

Word. A good PG elevates the level of play of a team.

I'm not sure Magic Johnson in his prime could motivate this team to win.....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MS
Member: #724
2/4/2005  10:43 AM
Stop defending this clown, he didn't help Amare win the rookie of the year.....

Has anyone been watching how he plays the game, he is not deserving of an All-Star selection Jason Kidd missed half the season and they have a better record than the knicks, Dwane Wade is a better player and a proven winner, he took his team to the final four and the playoffs, marbury isn't a top 20 player in this league

His shot selection is terrible he shots to early in the shot clock....Amare is a good player and has gotten better in the past couple of seasons but what is making him so go this year is nash is putting the ball in a position where he can make his move right away and no one can stop him.....

Marbury is a street ball player always has been he is a one way player, he needs to go.....who cares if he does some special things and is exciting to watch
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/4/2005  10:46 AM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

TNT makes fun of everyone who isn't doing good, thats just there way. I didn't see it though so I can't judge how bad it was.

Marbury will get blasted for the rest of his career until he wins. And if he does start winning the media will kiss his ass. And there will be articles on how he changed and is more mature and all that stuff.

This is so true. Marbury from day one has done nothing but put up numbers. I don't think there is a player in the league that gets as much bad things said about him than Marbury ever since he stepped up and shook David Sterns hand.

Steve Francis I think gets a free ride because he doesn't get his teamates involved. As long ans Francis is dunking on people he will continue to do so.

Gary Payton always took more shots than his teamates except he played on alot of good Seattle teams.

Marbury's worst decision was leaving KG.......if he would have stayed with KG they would have won something by now.

Ever since he left Minnesota it's been bad break after bad break.

I give Marbs props because he's been playing hurt through all of this losing and he hasn't missed a game yet......even when half of the world is laughing at him. He shows up to play.

He deserves better than this.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MS
Member: #724
2/4/2005  10:46 AM
And did someone say they felt sorry for this ****ing guy....He doesn;t play defense, he doesn't care, he is getting 13 million a season and he doesn't bring the energy every night, he is the teams best player lead by example, but he can't

And Rebuilding in NY is possible, if their is a plan all fans would be patient there is nothing exciting about losing in the first round
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
2/4/2005  1:47 PM
everybody has every right to diss marbury.
and everybody also has the right to defend him.

until he wins in this league, he'll constantly be criticized by both sides. until then, he is the curse and the gift.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/4/2005  1:51 PM
Marbury's numbers will sky rocket during the last 2 months of the season when we go back to playing East teams and I wouldn't be surprised if we start playing .500 ball again.

Only to just miss the playoffs and not get a high impact pick
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
2/4/2005  2:36 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Marbury's numbers will sky rocket during the last 2 months of the season when we go back to playing East teams and I wouldn't be surprised if we start playing .500 ball again.

Only to just miss the playoffs and not get a high impact pick

Ouch!but so true!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/4/2005  3:35 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by knicks1248:

Steph doesn't refuse to run; there's just no opportunity. You need defensive stops to run. We don't get that.

not only that but there have been many times when Steph has run and it's been a 1-on 2 break because no Knicks run with him.
gunsnewing
USA
2/4/2005  3:39 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by knicks1248:

not only that but there have been many times when Steph has run and it's been a 1-on 2 break because no Knicks run with him.

with a lineup of Ariza, Crawford and Steph they should run all the time but I agree maybe it's more the bad defense than it is Marbury's fault.

The suns give up over 100pts a game but they run because they have amare and marion as well as nash, Q and JJ not Kurt Thomas and Nazr.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/4/2005  3:43 PM

Because his favorite song is "let's do the twist".
Bonn1997
USA
2/4/2005  11:07 PM
Posted by Solace:

I already said I misread it. I don't mind admitting a mistake.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
2/5/2005  12:14 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:

I already said I misread it. I don't mind admitting a mistake.

Fair enough. I must've missed that earlier. My apologies.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
2/5/2005  2:44 PM
I'm not even gonna defend Marbury right now. I'm gonna defend all scoring point guards by bringing up some names for ya'll. One recent person Chauncy Billups, has in his a house a finals MVP trophy. Yeah the same selfish scoring point guard that has been on many teams and just doesn't make anyone else better. Why does he have a finals MVP? Well, when it came time to get points (because you win by scoring for those that don't know) he delivered and when they collapsed on him he dished. Isiah Thomas had a few playoff explosions in his career and with that he has a couple of championships. I also remember Clyde Frazier and Earl the Pearl each dropping 30 plus for one of the Knicks most memorable championship games. They were scoring point guards too. What I don't remember is Jason Kidd taking over a game with his scoring when the Nets really needed it against Lakers. However, this kid named Iverson was able to take a win away from the Lakers with one of the most unbelievable finals scoring explosions I have ever seen. I could go on and on through the scoring point guards list but its not necessary. The question I leave Knicks fans with is that if you needed a playoff offensive explosion from one player who would you rather have in your backcourt? I saw Marbury this summer break the American Olympic record for points scored in a must win game when the US team had their backs against the wall. So I know who my pick would be.

I thought this was an interesting post from another board. I could add that NVE another scoring pg had a 35point explosion for Dallas in game 6 basically won the series vs the Kings 2yrs ago.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
gunsnewing
USA
2/5/2005  2:49 PM
problem is Clyde was a geat defender and a heck of a lot smarter down the stretch of games.
Marburry was badly disrespected on TNT.....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy