[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How could the Knicks hold on to Ariza?
Author Thread
CaZeek
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #845
1/29/2005  2:46 AM
I don't know all of the intricacies of the salary cap, restrictions, free agency, exceptions, etc.. but I do know that I'm looking at the contracts on hoopshype.com, and Ariza is only signed for this year. Seeing as though the Knicks have no money to spare, can someone explain how the Knicks could resign Ariza?

On a side note.. why is John Amaechi on the Knicks payroll?
AUTOADVERT
Erniecat
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #851
1/29/2005  7:52 AM
One of the main exceptions of the NBA's "soft" salary cap is that teams can always re-sign their own free agents regardless of the team's cap situation. In fact, teams can actually offer their own free agents more than other teams can (see Houston, Allan). This is why the Knicks' payroll is over $100 million -- even though the salary cap is only around $43 million. This also is one of the main reasons why there is not nearly as much free-agent player movement in the NBA as in MLB and the NFL. The NFL, on the other hand, has a "hard" cap, meaning teams are not allowed to ever go over the cap. This is why every offseason, NFL teams are forced to cut big-name players who make a lot of money. Teams have to get under the cap just to be able to sign their draft picks, never mind brining in veteran free agents to fill holes.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/29/2005  9:24 AM
Every team also recieves the MLE (roughly 5M) and the LLE (2.5M? someone please correct if I'm wrong)to spend every year. John Amaechi is on our payroll from the Moochie trade. We took him back and immediately waived him.
How could the Knicks hold on to Ariza?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy