[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I've seen enough Jamal Crawford needs to be our point guard.
Author Thread
flex
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #441
1/29/2005  12:59 AM
With the sickest handle in the nba and at 6'5" the sky is the limit for him, and if he bulks up a little bit pheeww forget about it. Jamal ignites the crowd and is more creative than Marbury who loses everywhere he goes. Even at this point in their careers JC is more of a leader than Stephon. There is no one who can guard JC and at 6'5 he'd have the size advantage against almost every point guard in the league. We ought to trade Marbury before he gets any older for a young SG,C, draft picks whatever while his value starts to decline. He'd grab more boards, more steals, and average just as many assists as Steph, and if he starts to penetrate and draw fouls(which he so easily can the talent is obviously there) who can stop him, what use is there really for Marbury, he's not a franchise player not even an all star now in his supposed "prime" so we need to use him to bring one here.

[Edited by - flex on 01/29/2005 01:16:38]

[Edited by - flex on 01/29/2005 01:23:14]
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/29/2005  1:09 AM
Its a valid point, and you presented it well.

Perhaps Jamal will grow up to be all that. He and Marbs suffer from a lack of great vision in the transition game. But Craw is really quite awful at it. He has a shooters mentality first and formost.

I would say that what playmaking skills he has is a plus, but I would not want him to run the team. Very low IQ.

Marbs is our star attraction and will remain valuable to us until we draft his understudy, and a new star is born. Then he can be our veteran off the bench and bask in the glory of being here to help deliver a championship in a support role, not as the main event.

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/29/2005  1:37 AM
Marbs is just having a bad stretch and is still putting up good numbers in the process. Crawford has a sick crossover, confusing that with having the best handle are 2 very different things. I don't think he'll ever average as many assist as Steph. A career 8 apg avg is not very easy to accomplish and it is why very few have, with or without the 20 ppg.

I just think we need a coach who can get the most out of our players. Maximize what steph is bringing to the table and help him develop. I dont think Herb can do that, but I think Larry Brown would be perfect for that.

Maximize Crawfords talents and help him to improve as well. If they can switch positions during different times in the game, that is all the better for us. But I don't think Herb is the guy to get any of that done although I do like some of his changes and I like that we finally won.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 01/29/2005 01:39:04]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/29/2005  1:58 AM
I don't think Crawford necessarily has to be the PG, but he needs the ball in his hands more so that he can create for himself and others. His assist totals have been rising in recent games.

I don't think Isiah would trade Marbury unless he was made an offer he couldn't refuse, which isn't likely to happen.
rain
Member: #353
USA
1/29/2005  2:23 AM
Crawford was drafted as a point guard... but he doesn't move the ball. He uses his "sick" handle and the offense stagnates.. people watch. He should be OK for stretches, but a point guard he is not.
BigC
Member: #829
1/29/2005  8:54 AM
Crawford is a better passer than Marbury. Crawford does not have to be the point, but he needs to bring up the ball more. He pushes the ball so it makes it hard for a team's defense to set up. Marbury does avg 8 assists, However the ball is always in his hands and he gets more minutes than other teamates throughout his career. He is going to get 8 assists if the ball is always in his hand 95% of the time and he gets alot of minutes. You guys don't think Marbury looks at his 20 and 8 stats? As may years as Marbury has been in the NBA he has yet to learn how to set players up besides Kurt Thomas. Marbury is great player and like him on the team but a passer he is not.

[Edited by - BigC on 01/29/2005 17:38:57]
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/29/2005  10:05 AM
Posted by BigC:

Crawford is a better passer than Marbury. Crawford needs not have to be the point, but he needs to bring up the ball more. He pushes the ball so it makes it hard for a team's defense to set up. Marbury does avg 8 assists, However the ball is always in his hands and he gets more minutes than other teamates throughout his career. He is going to get 8 assists if the ball is always in his hand 95% of the time and he gets alot of minutes. You guys don't think Marbury looks at his 20 and 8 stats? As may years as Marbury has been in the NBA he has yet to learn how to set players up besides Kurt Thomas. Marbury is great player and like him on the team but a passer he is not.

Sad but true. I never have the confidence that Marbury will make the right play. There's no structure to his game. He needs to focus more. Maybe Larry Brown can help him
rojasmas
Member: #639
1/29/2005  11:43 AM
I would trade either Craw or Marbs and get a steady point who distributes well and plays defense, ie; Eric Snow or Bobby Jackson. With trading J Craw or Marbs, especially Marbs, we could get some good players up front once and for all. It is worth exploring.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/29/2005  11:44 AM
What we need to do is trade Marbury for a big and a solid pass first PG who can shoot when left wide open, and play good D.

Then you would have your big, your prime scorer in Craw, and PG who can actually run the who. Throw in Sweetney and Ariza at the forwards and you got 2 husslfe guys who play D, rebound, and finish around the basket. With Sweetney and Ariza both deveoping the midrange jumper latley, they'll be fine as 3rd and 4th options.

How about trading Marbury for a the one of the top 5 lottery picks and some expiring deals, picking up a guy like Watson witht he MLE, getting Hunter for the LLE, and developing a real NBA team with this squad.

C: Bogut/Hunter/Baker
PF Sweetney/JYD/Baker
SF Ariza/TT/JYD
SG Craw/Penny
PG Watson/Penny/Brewer
IR Houston, Mooch
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Rich
USA
1/29/2005  1:09 PM
If the Knicks had more finishers, Marbury would average 12 assists/game despite his shortcomings.
BigC
Member: #829
1/29/2005  5:49 PM
Posted by simrud:

What we need to do is trade Marbury for a big and a solid pass first PG who can shoot when left wide open, and play good D.

Then you would have your big, your prime scorer in Craw, and PG who can actually run the who. Throw in Sweetney and Ariza at the forwards and you got 2 husslfe guys who play D, rebound, and finish around the basket. With Sweetney and Ariza both deveoping the midrange jumper latley, they'll be fine as 3rd and 4th options.

How about trading Marbury for a the one of the top 5 lottery picks and some expiring deals, picking up a guy like Watson witht he MLE, getting Hunter for the LLE, and developing a real NBA team with this squad.

C: Bogut/Hunter/Baker
PF Sweetney/JYD/Baker
SF Ariza/TT/JYD
SG Craw/Penny
PG Watson/Penny/Brewer
IR Houston, Mooch

I like Watson too, but I doubt the Grizzle's will let him go that easy. He is a hard nose point that comes to play ever night.I don't think we should trade Marbury unless we get real value back and that is not going to happen. Teams do not want to pick up Marbury no matter how talented he is. Especially a young team because he will influence the team with his attitude.
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
rain
Member: #353
USA
1/29/2005  7:29 PM
Marbury has a few bad games... this is the bridge jump. Marbury is pretty unselfish. Too many press clippings have been read, he's being trashed for the player he was two years ago. Let it go. Our team has no legit post presence, role players, scoring off the bench, and the defense is atrocious.. that's where you can blame stephon. Everything else is reactionary bull.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/29/2005  7:50 PM
Posted by rain:

Marbury has a few bad games... this is the bridge jump. Marbury is pretty unselfish. Too many press clippings have been read, he's being trashed for the player he was two years ago. Let it go. Our team has no legit post presence, role players, scoring off the bench, and the defense is atrocious.. that's where you can blame stephon. Everything else is reactionary bull.
I agree 100%
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
1/29/2005  10:51 PM
I still regret that we didn't land Bibby when he was available....I think we can win with Steph but we need better athletes around him. There is a problem when your best weapon is your PF taking a 15 foot spot up jumper.
~You can't run from who you are.~
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/30/2005  10:43 PM
Posted by BigC:

Crawford is a better passer than Marbury. Crawford does not have to be the point, but he needs to bring up the ball more. He pushes the ball so it makes it hard for a team's defense to set up. Marbury does avg 8 assists, However the ball is always in his hands and he gets more minutes than other teamates throughout his career. He is going to get 8 assists if the ball is always in his hand 95% of the time and he gets alot of minutes. You guys don't think Marbury looks at his 20 and 8 stats? As may years as Marbury has been in the NBA he has yet to learn how to set players up besides Kurt Thomas. Marbury is great player and like him on the team but a passer he is not.

[Edited by - BigC on 01/29/2005 17:38:57]
He's not a passer? Name some players who got more assists last season than he did?
Rich
USA
2/4/2005  2:13 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/21731.htm

Every issue seems touchy. Marbury spoke to Herb Williams about the coach's comments in The Post that he wants to experiment in having Marbury play more possessions off the ball, in a shooting-guard role, coming off screens. That would allow Jamal Crawford to handle the ball more instead of being stuck on the wing. "I'm going to try to work it in slowly," Williams said Tuesday.

For several days, Williams has said he wanted Marbury to be more aggressive looking to shoot. However, after speaking with Marbury yesterday, Williams backed off on the semantics. "(Marbury's) our point guard," Williams said.

Williams added, "You've got to have a mix between the two. That's all I was telling him to do. Jamal played the point in Chicago. If the ball is kicked to Jamal, I feel comfortable with him handling the basketball. I don't have any problem with it and Steph can go and he can come off the screen. But Steph is the point guard."

"I spoke to him today," Marbury said. "He said he didn't say that (I'm going to play shooting guard). But it doesn't matter. I'll play the 5 if that's what it's going to take to win."

[Edited by - Rich on 02/04/2005 02:14:00]
I've seen enough Jamal Crawford needs to be our point guard.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy