O/T: Artest to the Hawks for Walker?
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/28/2005  4:25 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
There's talk around the NBA lately that the Pacers and Hawks have interest in making a deal: Artest and Scot Pollard for Antoine Walker. It makes a lot of sense for both teams, though Bird says he hasn't talked with Atlanta. It would get the NBA off the hook for perhaps an excessive punishment to one of its model franchises. The Pacers need a forward to replace Artest; Jackson's playing there now.

There's much suggested about Walker being a selfish shooter, but he rarely has been coached in his NBA career. Walker is a major talent, one, it should be noted, Bird always has admired. It pays for Atlanta to take a chance on an All-Star for a player they will lose for nothing to free agency in a few months of a lost season. Plus, Hawks general manager Billy Knight is a Donnie Walsh protege and likely wouldn't mind helping his old mentor. The Pacers went to New York recently to meet with Commissioner David Stern to plead for mercy, at least for the franchise and the community.

Bird says if anything happens again with Artest, he wouldn't be surprised if he got a lifetime ban. Remember what Bird said when the team suspended Artest earlier this season because he wanted to take time off to promote his album?

"Ronnie called me from the trainers' room and asked me to come down and talk," Bird recalled. "The kid was shook up. I said, `What's the problem?' He told me and I said, `No, you didn't! You did not!' "I said, `Ronnie, this is not good.' But he's a heck of a player and a heck of a guy. He does a lot in the community, things for a lot of people. But he has emotional problems. He's wired. He gets out there and things don't go his way and he doesn't like it. It's something he has to work on or he's not going to be in this league. If I were playing with Ronnie, I would have said, `Go home and don't come back.' It's like quittin' on your team. But I can guarantee when he comes back, he'll be different. No one goes through what he has and doesn't change." Chicago Tribune

[Edited by - TMS on 01/28/2005 16:31:03]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
1/28/2005  4:56 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that this happens...

then we trade with Atlanta for Artest since Bird would never trade Artest to us.
TMS
USA
1/28/2005  5:00 PM
trade what to ATL for Artest? would you be willing to give up some of our best trade assets (Ariza, a 1st round pick, Sweetney or Crawford) on a guy who can blow up on you at any time & be banned from basketball for good this time? i don't know about that...as good as he is, i don't know if i'd give up much more than KT or Nazr to get Artest here...it's a huge risk you're talking about...i'd MUCH rather make an offer for Al Harrington if they'd be willing to deal him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
1/28/2005  5:31 PM
Huge risk for huge returns... yes.

Ariza... no.
Sweetney... yes.
Crawford... no.

We need defense period. For someone of Artests calibur you have to sometimes take risks.

TMS
USA
1/28/2005  5:43 PM
Posted by Stevo718:

Huge risk for huge returns... yes.

Ariza... no.
Sweetney... yes.
Crawford... no.

We need defense period. For someone of Artests calibur you have to sometimes take risks.

i just don't see Sweetney being enough of an asset to get them to trade him alone...& i think what it probably WOULD take to get him would be too much to give up from our end...it's a catch 22...

you say you wouldn't give up Ariza or Jamal to get Artest...but if Artest weren't such a ticking time bomb i'd give up all 3 of those guys to get him...but then he wouldn't even be involved in rumors like this to begin with.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/28/2005  8:05 PM
Even with Artest this team would still having a gaping hole in the C/PF position. Unless I know where that player is coming from, I would save my assets and not risk them for Artest.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/29/2005  1:16 AM
Posted by Rich:

Even with Artest this team would still having a gaping hole in the C/PF position. Unless I know where that player is coming from, I would save my assets and not risk them for Artest.

The best thing for Ron is to establish himself back with Indiana. Give him time, and he needs to be tested a few times. Then Indy can move him.

I love his heart, but its also his undoing.

I don't want to give up Ariza, and Sweets does not hold much trading weight right now. Pun intended.
O/T: Artest to the Hawks for Walker?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy