[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

o/t - what IN THE hell is wrong with dmiles?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/28/2005  1:49 PM
Miles' bluster dares Blazers to make a choice
Friday, January 28, 2005
S omething was in the air again on Thursday. Trail Blazers practice ended an hour early. The general manager and the coach were behind a closed sliding-glass door talking with serious looks on their faces.

It wasn't a sucker punch, it wasn't a practice fight, there were no arrests, but in the end, it was something. Nobody said a word. Nobody had to. It was in the air. And you half-expected to open your eyes and see Bonzi and Rasheed at it again.

Instead, it was just Dr. Darius and Mr. Miles.

In a team film session Thursday, coach Maurice Cheeks reportedly was making a coaching point to Darius Miles. The player then directed a racial slur at Cheeks and shouted something about not caring about losing "20" games in a row because Cheeks is going to get fired anyway.

It went on and on. And Miles was asked to leave the practice facility by Cheeks, to which he basically said, "Make me."

Try shouting those kinds of things at your boss today. Because the bet here is that you would be unemployed by noon.

So today, Miles gets waived, right?

Nope.

Miles was just given a six-year, $48 million guaranteed contract by the Blazers. So while waiving him is the emotional reaction, it's not a smart business reaction.

So today, Miles is traded, right?

Nope.

The $48 million contract makes Miles nearly impossible to trade. Especially because he's been injured and, also, because he's been the biggest disappointment of the Blazers season. Right down to the way Cheeks has been unable to guess what Miles will give him night to night.

(That's not to mention the way Miles publicly pouted when Shareef Abdur-Rahim beat him out for the starting small forward position.)

So today, Miles is suspended for insubordination, right?

Well, that's debatable, and it's exactly what Miles dared Cheeks to do, full well knowing that the coach is dangling from the NBA coaching cliff by his sneaker shoelaces. On Thursday, GM John Nash said he'll support what Cheeks wants to do.

But it's private support that matters.

If Cheeks is hung out to dry while management privately explains that ownership doesn't want the bad publicity connected with suspending a player, we're right back to square one.

That support will, no doubt, come straight from the Grand Pooh-Bah himself. If owner Paul Allen is really interested in changing the perception of the franchise, if waiving Qyntel Woods wasn't just for show, then suspending Miles is a no-brainer.

Suspend him for 20 games, in fact. Because after Miles promised in front of his teammates to lose exactly that many for his coach, how can the franchise justify putting Miles back in uniform in any of the next 20 games?

That's what we'll all be thinking the next time Miles takes the court. That, and that awful racial slur. And while Cheeks might be thinking of resigning over this, the Blazers shouldn't let it come to that. Cheeks deserves better.

By the way, Dr. Darius, don't try saying it was a blackout. That's been done.

M iles hasn't been here long enough to know that his act is tired. The bet is, Cheeks was pointing out that defensive sequence in the final minutes of Wednesday's loss in which Miles failed to rotate and stop Jerry Stackhouse from getting an uncontested layup.

On the play, Miles wilted in his shoes.

Don't be fooled into anyone telling you this incident is insignificant. It threatens to send the rest of the season straight down the city sewer line. But only if the Blazers fail to back their coach, and educate their future.

Keep in mind, Sebastian Telfair, Ha Seung Jin and Travis Outlaw are watching. So is Zach Randolph. They had front-row seats when Miles was showing Cheeks who's boss.

So, who is the boss?

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/28/2005  1:59 PM
I read this... pretty funny. They should trade him for Kurt Thomas. Or Zach, or both. KT would be their missing piece.. definatly.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/28/2005  1:59 PM
This is the guy, many of you guys wanted on our squad?
And he isn't even a skilled player! His talent is athleticism.
Thats not a talent, thats the luck of your DNA. I hope he only comes to NY during the offseason....................as a tourist.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/28/2005  2:01 PM
no.. he's pretty good. good defender, good ball handler. Heck, the Cavs played him at PG for awhile when they were showcasing him.

Yes.. definatly trade KT for DM
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/28/2005  2:12 PM
I especially love the way that only the left eye moves!!!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/28/2005  4:30 PM
I just thought he was an incomplete player. He is soft, these freaking guys are not coachable. no wonder he has no skills, cuz he don't want to work for it!

No way you bring a guy like that in. We want men of character, not mentally soft. This is the kind of guy who melts in the limelight, when its game seven and his shvinktor closes!

That is why you look into a mans character, or history of success on the court, in the classroom, stayed out of trouble, somthing!

Take a shane battier, a david robinson, men who can speak, spell, play piano, read, invest, travel, can lead, care, community minded, ets. Took time to go to college, and actually went to class!

And can play basketball!

Whats wrong with DMiles? "he's keeping it real": Chris rock
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
1/28/2005  11:14 PM
I thought miles was just starting to put his career together, he had a good year last year and was finally showing a slightly more complete and mature game.
http://allknicks.com
Bobby
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #408
USA
1/29/2005  12:22 AM
portland has back-to-back issues: first with q woods now miles and i thought sar was going to blow a gasket and with that said, mighty mouse has kept a low profile while displaying some mighty fine balling. i think if miles was back with the cavs you may hear silas speak chinese
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/29/2005  12:31 AM
Posted by teslawlo:

I thought miles was just starting to put his career together, he had a good year last year and was finally showing a slightly more complete and mature game.
++

Once he got his deal, he's been late, not workng hard, and knows that cheeks is lame duck and abusing his power like a child would.

If I were cheeks I would flat out walk away from that situation, and he would have except he is a real man. But even they have limits. If it were true that PHilly was very interested in him before they hired Obrien, but Portland did not want to grant permission, then they were very unprofessional about not extending Cheeks. THis is the situation they get!

For every Lebron, there's got to be a few clowns that must exemplify why there should be an age limit to enter the NBA. SOme guys are just too imature to handle the pressure.
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
1/29/2005  12:56 PM
It was just reported on espnews that Mo Cheeks is contemplating resigning
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
o/t - what IN THE hell is wrong with dmiles?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy