[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

last year's poster teams are heading back to the lottery...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/27/2005  2:11 PM
Utah and Denver. The two teams that supposedly wrote the book on how to build a team, ie w/ cap space and draft picks are both heading back to the lottery this year. Whats worse is Kikki has just undone anything smart by hiring Karl. Maybe George will take back Tim Thomas since giving Tim a huge contract was his greatest accomplishment in Mil. (2nd only to coaching the dream team to 6th place in the world championships)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/27/2005  2:13 PM
I would kill for a TT Camby swap.
all kool aid all the time.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/27/2005  2:24 PM
everything in the Karl story looked vaguely familiar...I think I read it last year when Wilkens was hired
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/27/2005  2:32 PM
unfortunately we have no matching contracts w/DEN to make a trade of TT possible, unless they decide to trade K-Mart.

this is the best i could come up w/, but i don't see Kiki doing it.

Denver trades:
PF Kenyon Martin (15.1 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.8 apg in 34.3 minutes)
C Marcus Camby (9.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 1.8 apg in 30.4 minutes)
SF Rodney White (5.7 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 13.4 minutes)

Denver receives:
SF Tim Thomas (10.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 26.4 minutes)
C Nazr Mohammed (11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 29.6 minutes)
PF Mike Sweetney (7.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Trevor Ariza (5.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 16.6 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +4.9 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

New York trades:
SF Tim Thomas (10.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 26.4 minutes)
C Nazr Mohammed (11.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 0.4 apg in 29.6 minutes)
PF Mike Sweetney (7.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 0.5 apg in 17.0 minutes)
SF Trevor Ariza (5.4 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 1.3 apg in 16.6 minutes)

New York receives:
PF Kenyon Martin (15.1 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 2.8 apg in 34.3 minutes)
C Marcus Camby (9.5 ppg, 9.6 rpg, 1.8 apg in 30.4 minutes)
SF Rodney White (5.7 ppg, 1.9 rpg, 1.0 apg in 13.4 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -4.9 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/27/2005  2:32 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Utah and Denver. The two teams that supposedly wrote the book on how to build a team, ie w/ cap space and draft picks are both heading back to the lottery this year. Whats worse is Kikki has just undone anything smart by hiring Karl. Maybe George will take back Tim Thomas since giving Tim a huge contract was his greatest accomplishment in Mil. (2nd only to coaching the dream team to 6th place in the world championships)

given what happened to our olympic team, and upon closer examination of the players he had and the attitude they had, The failure of the world Championsip team is not really Karl's fault. I thought it was, but the reality is that was an allstar Squad with a bad attitude.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
1/27/2005  2:41 PM
George will be good for Carmelo.....Silas has done a wonderful job with Bron, so will George for Melo...
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/27/2005  2:49 PM
utah has a better frontcourt than ours

harpring + boozer + okur > tim + kurt + nazr

yet they continued to lose games, many by a wide marging b/c they have no guards. nobody called for sloan's head here yet we're in the same mirrored situation - we had the guards but no frontcourt yet people wanted lenny's head.

anyways, karl is a disaster in waiting. to denver's defense, they've been hurt ALOT this season BUT if kiki got an "A+" last season, he gets a "c-" so far this season. didn't get a replacement shooter and then fired his lameduck coach. he gave $90 mil to kmart and another $50+ to matchstick man. i DO NOT see melo and karl getting along for a long period of time.

now the darlings are the suns and bulls. well it took the bulls long enough - 7 years and the suns made really smart moves AFTER they drafted their franchise player.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01/27/2005 14:50:25]
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/27/2005  2:57 PM
George Karl is a good coach.

Those bucks teams has no frontlines, they just had there big 3 and TT of the bench, and we all know how good he is. Yet he took them to the playoffs for a few years.

Denver will just fine when they get another lottery pikc, pick a shooting guard, and get healthy.

I wish we were Denver, there future is so much brighter. They actually have young talent that can become superstars, and a real front line.

Reagardless of how they finish this year, Knicks have a long way to go before they can even carry that organization's jock, if we ever get there.

As for the Jazz, they are also in a better position then us, there MVP player, there best player, and there supestar, Kirilenko was hurt. Now he is back and they just beat the Sonics. They are very deep, have some great bigmen, and an awesome coach. They are way under the cap. Knicks arent even close to being as good as Utah is.

The thing is, the Knicks are prolly in one of worst positions in the lague, maybe only better then Golden State. Any other team has us beat when it comes to how well they are managed. Thanks Thomas, Layden, Checketts, Dolan, and the rule of the morons continues.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Nalod
USA
1/27/2005  3:21 PM
Posted by diderotn:

George will be good for Carmelo.....Silas has done a wonderful job with Bron, so will George for Melo...

Please expand on this correlation! ITs sounds facinating!
Nalod
USA
1/27/2005  4:10 PM
Posted by simrud:

George Karl is a good coach.

Those bucks teams has no frontlines, they just had there big 3 and TT of the bench, and we all know how good he is. Yet he took them to the playoffs for a few years.

Denver will just fine when they get another lottery pikc, pick a shooting guard, and get healthy.

I wish we were Denver, there future is so much brighter. They actually have young talent that can become superstars, and a real front line.

Reagardless of how they finish this year, Knicks have a long way to go before they can even carry that organization's jock, if we ever get there.

As for the Jazz, they are also in a better position then us, there MVP player, there best player, and there supestar, Kirilenko was hurt. Now he is back and they just beat the Sonics. They are very deep, have some great bigmen, and an awesome coach. They are way under the cap. Knicks arent even close to being as good as Utah is.

The thing is, the Knicks are prolly in one of worst positions in the lague, maybe only better then Golden State. Any other team has us beat when it comes to how well they are managed. Thanks Thomas, Layden, Checketts, Dolan, and the rule of the morons continues.

Atlanta,
Hornets
Clippers
Cleveland
Portland
Celtics
Chicago
warriors
MIlwaukee

All teams I think are mismanaged worse than Knicks for last 6 years. Recent Upside aside.

Atlanta, speaks for itself.
Clips, gotta love them though.
Cavs. Always a lotto team, Lebron is a savior, Let Booze walk thru the door!
Denver. Passed over Amare TWICE, took Skita with 5th pick! Had no backup shooting guard, and traded 3 no.1 picks and maxed out Kenyan. Signed Camby to 60mil. contract.
JailBlazers: Starphuchers second only to us.
Celts: decent upside. No character. Aing on the right track, but lots of dumb moves the last few years.
Bulls. 0-9 start and plenty of blunders since 1998! Tim Floyd, traded Brand, Artest, Cartwright as coach, Etc etc! On the right track.
Warriors: speaks for itself.
Milwaukee. Yawn!

Sure cavs on the upsde, but it took over 10 years. Denver has wrong players, no chemistry. Karl will help alot.

When all else fails, blame Layden!

[Edited by - nalod on 01/27/2005 17:10:41]
fishmike
USA
1/27/2005  4:16 PM
actually, our position is a year away from being pretty good. We need too add a couple of decent young players this offseason and especially we need to execute in the draft. If we can accomplish some modest goals our payroll at the end of the year will in the $65mm range with a respectable group of younger players.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/27/2005  4:33 PM
Posted by fishmike:

actually, our position is a year away from being pretty good. We need too add a couple of decent young players this offseason and especially we need to execute in the draft. If we can accomplish some modest goals our payroll at the end of the year will in the $65mm range with a respectable group of younger players.

Count on Zeke making one major trade this summer that will keep the payroll closer to $80 million AT LEAST. But I agree our position is fine right now.

I'd love it if he could buy-out Allan.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
1/27/2005  4:49 PM
honestly... I hope he doesnt. I'm tired of people crying about the payroll and expiring contracts are a little overrated to me anyhow.

If you do these 4 simple things this offseason:
sign Steven Hunter to 4 years $16mm
send Nazr, Houston's #2 and $3mm to the Grizz in a sign and trade for Swift 5 years $45mm
send the Spurs $2mm for theirs or Pho's #1 pick this year
draft Simeon and Jarred Jack. If Jack is gone pick Nate Robinson
If Steven Hunter isnt available sign Marco Jaric with the MLE
Use the LLE to lock up Ariza for the next 2 years

At the end of the year your payroll is $65mm and your core is
Marbury/Jack
Crawford/Jaric
Ariza/JYD
Sweetney/Simeon
Swift/KT/Hunter

And if that team sucks? Repeat the above with another lottery pick. Then in 3 years as GM the Knicks are now a group of athletic, reasonably priced, YOUNG players with Marbury as your premier guy or piece to move if needed.
crzymdups
USA
1/27/2005  4:59 PM
Posted by fishmike:

honestly... I hope he doesnt. I'm tired of people crying about the payroll and expiring contracts are a little overrated to me anyhow.

If you do these 4 simple things this offseason:
sign Steven Hunter to 4 years $16mm
send Nazr, Houston's #2 and $3mm to the Grizz in a sign and trade for Swift 5 years $45mm
send the Spurs $2mm for theirs or Pho's #1 pick this year
draft Simeon and Jarred Jack. If Jack is gone pick Nate Robinson
If Steven Hunter isnt available sign Marco Jaric with the MLE
Use the LLE to lock up Ariza for the next 2 years

At the end of the year your payroll is $65mm and your core is
Marbury/Jack
Crawford/Jaric
Ariza/JYD
Sweetney/Simeon
Swift/KT/Hunter

And if that team sucks? Repeat the above with another lottery pick. Then in 3 years as GM the Knicks are now a group of athletic, reasonably priced, YOUNG players with Marbury as your premier guy or piece to move if needed.

I like that team, though it's a small group of PFs and Hunter is the only guy with any size. Obviously, I'll be thrilled if we can land Swift and Hunter, but why do I feel like Zeke is going to use our big chips (Nazr, #1 pick) to go after Webber?
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
1/27/2005  5:07 PM
because thats what Briggs tells you? I dont see it. It just doesnt make sense from Isiah's point of view. I think he like Webb and might do a money deal, but thats about it. Penny+Nazr? Maybe. Young guys and picks? No way.
crzymdups
USA
1/27/2005  5:16 PM
Posted by fishmike:

because thats what Briggs tells you? I dont see it. It just doesnt make sense from Isiah's point of view. I think he like Webb and might do a money deal, but thats about it. Penny+Nazr? Maybe. Young guys and picks? No way.

Zeke has been caving to the media pressure a lot these days and you know the Bermans, Isolas and Lawrences and Lupicas of the world will be screaming for a STAR BIG MAN. So will Dolan. I'm just bracing for it.

An offseason where we draft Boone, trade Nazr for Swift, and sign Hunter and get a SG/PG in the second round would be ideal, obviously. Though I'm not sure Zeke will be that patient.
¿ △ ?
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/27/2005  8:32 PM
Denver has a team of future allstars? outside of melo, who on that team is a future all star? Nene? I guess that is why they went out and got kenyon huh?

I will take ariza, crawford, and sweetney to anything that denver has on that team, outside of melo, who isn't that great either...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/27/2005  10:22 PM
Denver has Melo, who is awesome, and he is just in his 2nd year in the league.

Martn is a very good PF, prolly not worse the max, but still very good, especially defensively.

Andre Miller is a very nice PG.

Nene will be a monster in this leage, he will replace Camby eventually, who btw, is better then our entire starting front court put together, and impacts the game more the 60 games he plays then Mohammed and KT do the 82X2 games they play.

All they need is a PG.

Skita is still young, and has a chance to develop and be a special talent in the league.

Now they have a good caoch.

Knicks on the other hand, have 1 real prospect in Sweetney, maybe Ariza, and thats it.

Btw, Portland while paying for it now, has had some awesome teams that gave the Lakers run for there money.

Either way, while you can find a few teams that have been managed worse, Knicks are right up there.

And flexibility wise, only Golden State is in worse shape then us.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/27/2005  11:34 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by fishmike:

Zeke has been caving to the media pressure a lot these days
He's done the exact OPPOSITE. The team is struggling but he's stuck with the team rather than making a panic move.

Among Isiah's three significant trades, the key players he acquired at the time were 26 (Marbury), 26 (Nazy), 26 (TT), and 24. Crawford. It amazes me that some people have a fear that he's gonna give up valuable assets on a bad veteran. Anyone who thinks that just hasn't paid attention to *any* of the trades Isiah has made.
Nalod
USA
1/28/2005  11:44 AM
Bonnie, you gotta be afraid of the Knick way, that is why we plead for Isiah to not go that way. While we were winning, a lot of folks would have wanted webber as perhaps he could have taken us over the top. That would ahve been scarey.

From the looks of it, Isiah wants to "do the right thing." Go spike!
last year's poster teams are heading back to the lottery...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy