Author Thread
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
1/27/2005  10:43 AM
From NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/sports/basketball/27knicks.html?oref=login

But in a conference call with reporters yesterday, Thomas insisted he would stay the course, resist the temptation to make any rash moves and wait for the summer before deciding how to use $40 million in expiring contracts.

"I would say that's dominating my thought process, because we finally put ourselves in a position where there's hope for something better that can come down the road," Thomas said. "You put yourself in a position now where you've got options, and you don't want to cloud that by doing something short term."

If you are in favor of the idea of rebuilding, this sounds great, doesn't it? But then read this...

The Knicks have been linked to a variety of players - most of them disgruntled, and with large contracts - but Thomas did not sound intrigued.

"I'm not saying we won't go after any of those players," he said, "but we've got to be careful in terms of where we're going."

Thomas leaves Saturday for an eight-day scouting trip to Italy and Spain. But he does not expect significant help in the June draft.

"There are no saviors in the draft," he said. "There are no Tim Duncans, there are no Shaquille O'Neals, there are no Tracy McGradys or anybody like that. There are no franchise players."

Despite their struggles, the Knicks are within striking distance of first place in the Atlantic Division and an automatic playoff berth.

Missing the playoffs would put the Knicks in the draft lottery, but Thomas, who rejects the notion of rebuilding through the draft, said: "We're not trying to go there. We've still got a lot of season left."

What are your thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/27/2005  11:02 AM
It makes me confused to read that!

I don't know what to make of all that. Isiah draws interest and the "Buzz' just by staying involved.

He should stay away from discruntled players with big contracts. We got plenty ourselves.

I think, and agree with him that we were good enough to make the playoffs with what we have, and add players for long term developement as we go along. Im ok, so long as we are .500 type team in that time. Then, strike out and nab a player who can make a difference!

He needs to keep starting Reezy and give minutes to sweets to show there is a future. Promote them, and also that Craw continues to show progress. His game against PHX was nice cuz it showed he can do plenty. He rebounded well, and moved the ball. I can't handle when he is in La-La land and throws up three pointers with 16 seconds on the 24! But he showed some good variety.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/27/2005  11:17 AM
Thomas leaves Saturday for an eight-day scouting trip
to Italy and Spain. But he does not expect significant help in the June draft.

"There are no saviors in the draft," he said. "There are no Tim Duncans, there are no Shaquille O'Neals, there are no Tracy McGradys or anybody like that. There are no franchise players."

Despite their struggles, the Knicks are within striking distance of first place in the Atlantic Division and an automatic playoff berth.

Missing the playoffs would put the Knicks in the draft lottery, but Thomas, who rejects the notion of rebuilding through the draft, said: "We're not trying to go there. We've still got a lot of season left."

i'm thinking he hasn't done any serious recruiting yet. i think that'll all begin after the trading deadline.

at least we can be happy about all the jalen rose BS.
from Isiah's conference call with the media yesterday

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy