[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Insider 1/25: Knicks Need Winners, Not Stars
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/25/2005  9:40 PM
playing Marbury at the 2 is a horrible idea...he's simply a scoring PG...nothing wrong w/using him as such if you have the right complementary players around him...you need guys who can FINISH & DEFEND to play alongside Marbury...he'll get into the lane, but you need guys who can shoot & finish when he gets them the ball...it's when guys start bricking shots & not finishing off his passes that Marbury starts to get reluctant to pass the ball to open teammates.

i've seen enough blown layups by Nazr, KT & TT as well as players blowing right by totally immobile defenders off the dribble or taking wide open jumpers w/no defender in his face to make me puke.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
1/25/2005  11:57 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:
"[Nash's] getting everyone the ball. Everyone loves a teammate that gets you the ball in a position to score," Shawn Marion, Marbury's former teammate, told Insider earlier this month when comparing Nash and Marbury. "Last year we had so many guys who could score, yet our point guard was taking a lot of the shots. That's the difference."

Suns center Amare Stoudemire put it more succinctly.

"Nash creates opportunities to get easy baskets. The game of basketball isn't easy. But he helps make it easy. ... That's what real point guards do."

Ouch! Man, truth hurts. I posted this on another thread and I am not sure if anyone else noticed it...but...The Knicks were winning games before when Marbury was dishing, dishing and dishing some more. He wouldn't take a shot till he had like 12 assists to his name for the game. Then some idiot asked him who the best PG is in the game, then all of a sudden he is averaging 20plus points per game and guys like Nazr are reduced to mediocre numbers. He needs to get back to penetrating and dishing for the easy dunks. If you make your BIGs happy they will more of the dirty work for you.

People on the board can ignore this all they want but this is very damning. It's not some evil sportswriter saying this, it's not me, or playa or briggs saying this, it's 2 all star ex-teammates saying this about Marbury. It's not a case of "well they're just sticking up for Nash" either. They could do that without making the comments about Marbury.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/26/2005  1:29 AM

It is funny, what will happen when the suns are eliminated in the first or second round of the playoffs by a team that can score in the paint, the suns are beating a lot of teams playing a fast paced 3 point shooting contest, but in the NBA that has never and will never win a championship, and at age 31 nash is in his prime years, and when it is all said and done and he does not win a ring, what will they say about nash? he never won because he wasn't selfish enough?

Guys like amare and whoever on the suns team can take stabs at steph, that is fine, all of that comes full circle one day, believe me, I say put the right players around marbs and he will win, he is not a superstar but a guy you can win with , this is getting real old..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
1/26/2005  2:32 AM
Posted by TMS:

it's not about certain players being winners & losers, it's about finding the right mix of players that complement each other well & then getting some good chemistry along w/some lucky breaks & bounces that can catapult you to an NBA championship...

all this "Stephon is a loser" stuff is crap IMHO...put him on a team w/guys w/talent & if they can gel as a team, they can win a championship...this team has never been able to find the right formula...it's a work in progress...that doesn't mean that as long as Stephon is here we have no shot at winning an NBA title.

You're absolutely right. Look at Gary Payton, one of the best PG in the last 15 years, who has not won a championship. Should he be called a loser? No. Some guys don't win a ring. It's just luck.

If somone is playing stupid BB (like Crawford), then he should be criticized. But players have no control over who they play with. When a team isn't playing well, it's not just the players that should be criticized, we need to look at the guy who put the team together first - the GM, and the coach who needs to guide the team to wins.
Insider 1/25: Knicks Need Winners, Not Stars

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy