[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah on Mike'd Up
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/24/2005  4:57 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:

Washington signed Arenas to a huge long term contract & traded there #4 pick for Jaimison. Both of them were on losing teams in GS. And what has Larry Hughes won through out his career??? But yet those 3 have been real successfull this season. Detroit broke the rules and won a championship by having a collection of talent instead of having 2 dominant players. Suns are having great success with no big man, no depth at all, 2 players playing out of position, with 4 athletic freaks and a great uptempo PG. Seattle is having success with no frontcourt what so ever. Just haveing good ball movement a very good team game on offense & defense and launching 1million 3. Denver had success last season because they tore down everything landed Carmelo Anthony, signed Andre Miller as well as worked with Nene & kept Camby healthy. Cavs had success because they tore down everything landed Lebron James. Though if they could have missed out and landed Darko Milicic and then there plan wouldn't be so hot. Indy had success because after they went to the finals they decided to build on the fly and swaped allstar at the time Dale Davis for J'Oneal who did absolutly nothing his first few yrs but had potential. Drafted 2 highschool guys in Al Harrington & Bender & swapped Jalen Rose for Artest & Brad Miller. Utah had success last season because they had a team full of scrappy, hard nosed, no name players around possible the most versatile player in the game in Kirenlinko.

There is no specific formula. All you can do is take chances.

this is 100% correct. but there is one thing you didn't mention though, if one of those methods fail, what the long-term effects are on your team. if you build via taking back long term salaries, and you stink, then you are F'ed and in salary cap hell (the knicks right now). if you blow it up and build through the draft, at least you're still under the cap and can still get more picks (the bulls). both take time but as a business, you're not spending nearly as much $$$'s and can turn it around any given year.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/24/2005  5:10 PM

Washington signed Arenas to a huge long term contract & traded there #4 pick for Jaimison. Both of them were on losing teams in GS. And what has Larry Hughes won through out his career??? But yet those 3 have been real successfull this season. Detroit broke the rules and won a championship by having a collection of talent instead of having 2 dominant players. Suns are having great success with no big man, no depth at all, 2 players playing out of position, with 4 athletic freaks and a great uptempo PG. Seattle is having success with no frontcourt what so ever. Just haveing good ball movement a very good team game on offense & defense and launching 1million 3. Denver had success last season because they tore down everything landed Carmelo Anthony, signed Andre Miller as well as worked with Nene & kept Camby healthy. Cavs had success because they tore down everything landed Lebron James. Though if they could have missed out and landed Darko Milicic and then there plan wouldn't be so hot. Indy had success because after they went to the finals they decided to build on the fly and swaped allstar at the time Dale Davis for J'Oneal who did absolutly nothing his first few yrs but had potential. Drafted 2 highschool guys in Al Harrington & Bender & swapped Jalen Rose for Artest & Brad Miller. Utah had success last season because they had a team full of scrappy, hard nosed, no name players around possible the most versatile player in the game in Kirenlinko.

the teams all had flexibility to do different things. weve spent 300mm and have put ourselves into a worse position. thats poor management. if you want to take chancea, go sign Q woods for a few bucks. If you want to build a team right, you start by implementing a style of play, finding a coach who can coach it, and then methodically find the horses.

so far, Isiah has been spotty at best-we have over paid for everything and he brought in SOFT type players. This team isnt winning with Crawford Marbury and Nazr, it just isnt. Are we going to live with craw shooting 38%? and the porous D both guards play?
No, this team if any team needed it, needs a ground floor rebuild and it still does. Now that's not going to happen, but hopefully a modified version of it will occur, just by being bad.

I mean TT baker Sundov Brewer Norris and even Crawford--these have been his picks to fill the roster out and he has to take responsibility for Hardaway. He's done a spotty job. Lets not compare him to Laydumb, lets compare him to geoff petrie or greg popovich. the spurs best team in the league--drafted almost their entire core and have used the draft wisely which has kept their costs down.

the reality IS, and Id put a good farthing on it, Cablevision cannot increase payroll anymore. they have to be so extended, so there is no lock that they can just continue obscene spending---we cant keep ofering to take back 20-30-40mm for a player! it also wreaks havoc with the roster!
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/24/2005  5:12 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

what are you talking about, isiah said there would be no rebuilding in NY and had no use for the draft in the first few weeks he was hied. remember mike sweetney is NOt his pick, its a guy who was here.

If you think rebuilding is spending 200mm dollars on Marbury crawford and Nazr, thats a TERRIBLE plan. the playetrs are CASTOFFS from losing franchises--how dos that=winning???? we got what we deserved going after TT, my bet is we couldve gotten much different better value for KVH when he was hot as hll last year. we couldve broken up all the assets we had i.e Mcdyess ending contract our draft pick, lampe and instead of spening so much, i mean what would you rather haev now, Marbury or say Al Jefferson and Josh Smith? Honestly, wed be in BETTER poistion with JEFFERSON and SMITh even if you dont understand it--like I sais the day after we traded for marbury and you can go look it up, trading for marbury put us DEEPER into the quagmire and we are in DEEP.
I mean how is this guy trying to tell you that the young core is here?

Id bet most savvy basketball fans would trade Marbury for Josh Smith and Al Jefferson in about a second.

Briggs, you're saying you would want:

Frank Williams, Howard Eisley
Allan Houston, Shandon Anderson
KVH, Josh Smith
Al Jeff, Sweetney
Doleac?

I like Jefferson and Smith too, but I think Isiah rightly realized that fans were sick of being perceived as total losers and needed a Spree-like star to identify with. Hence Marbury, the perfect NYC basketball star. And, Isiah also felt he was getting Rasheed Wallace last year for KT and spare parts, which I think we all agree would have changed the shape of the entire NBA, not just the East. Danny Ainge screwed him by assisting Detroit's trade and taking on more money (which he then dumped on the Lakers for PAyton and Fox in the off-season).

So, yes, when Isiah thought he could add Marbury and Wallace to a healthy Allan Houston, he was playing to get right into the Finals against the Lakers and rejuvenate the franchise (I believe he said "light the world on fire"). BUT (and with the NYK, there's always a but), Houston started showing the knee signs, Wallace went to Detroit thanks to Ainge and offers dried up for Kurt.

Thus, change of plan. Isiah shipped KVH at the HEIGHT of his value (how many games has KVH missed since that trade) for TT and Nazr, a trade that basically took a year off of the heinous KVH contract and upgraded Doleac to Nazr. Then, he shipped spare parts (Frank Williams' brilliant WEEK in December 03 notwithstanding) for Jamal Crawford and JYD, a young star who the fans identify with and a role player who plays like Oak used to. He gets the steal of the second round with Ariza and sets the team up to win the division in 2004-5, still telling everyone that his major move will come in the summer of 05 when his contracts look appealing again (well before Van Horn, Eisley, et al would have been).

As of 12/31/04, the Knicks were 16-13 and in first place and fans were ecstatic. Then, the wheels fell off the bus. Injuries piled up, Sweets went down, Penny and Jamal were already down, Allan never found a groove....aka...IT HAPPENS to the best of us. BUT, we're still set up to make a move this summer, when there's a better draft and there is a huge assortment of big men both readily available and potentially available via trades. So, yeah, I'm willing to give Isiah through August to improve the team.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 01/24/2005 17:27:51]
¿ △ ?
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/24/2005  5:25 PM
How were we going to get under the cap with Eisley-Spoon-Anderson-Houston on the team owed big money until 06 & 07.

Teams get under the cap to outbid everyone and sign players to big money reguardless. And most of the time the players that are free are players who were so called losers from other teams thats why they were able to be free a freeagency. No matter what everything is a risk.

Or they could be like the old Clippers and not resign there players and maintain cap flexability.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/24/2005  5:29 PM
The NBA is about taking chances. If they work your a genious if they don't your a fool.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/24/2005  5:50 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by NYKBocker:

How do you get a franchise BIG MAN? Get lucky in the draft.

Knicks - They got lucky with Ewing. Our genie (Stern) granted our wish.

San Antonio - Got lucky twice with The Admiral and Duncan. They also tanked their seasons to get more ping pong balls on both occasions.

Houston - Got lucky 2 times. The Dream and Yao.

Suns - Got lucky with Amare.

Minny - Got lucky with KG.

Orlando - Got lucky with Shaq.

Miami - Got lucky with Alonzo. Then got lucky to draft quality players to send to the Lakers for Shaq.

It's all LUCK!
How about make a smart trade?

Indiana: Jermaine O'Neal

what the Knicks have to do is make a trade like IND made when they got JO in the first place...they traded an established veteran for a young, unproven talent w/big potential & were rewarded handsomely for it...

the Knicks have no chance to trade for him now, but what they CAN do is make a similar type trade by unloading Kurt Thomas for someone like Kwame Brown, w/some cash or future picks added in as incentive for WAS to make the deal... that's the type of risk/reward trade this organization needs to make if we're EVER going to have a franchise bigman to call our own anytime soon.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/24/2005  6:04 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by NYKBocker:

San Antonio - Got lucky twice with The Admiral and Duncan. They also tanked their seasons to get more ping pong balls on both occasions.

Miami - Got lucky with Alonzo. Then got lucky to draft quality players to send to the Lakers for Shaq.

It's all LUCK!
How about make a smart trade?

Indiana: Jermaine O'Neal

what the Knicks have to do is make a trade like IND made when they got JO in the first place...they traded an established veteran for a young, unproven talent w/big potential & were rewarded handsomely for it...

the Knicks have no chance to trade for him now, but what they CAN do is make a similar type trade by unloading Kurt Thomas for someone like Kwame Brown, w/some cash or future picks added in as incentive for WAS to make the deal... that's the type of risk/reward trade this organization needs to make if we're EVER going to have a franchise bigman to call our own anytime soon.
Sorry; I was a little unclear. I meant that you CAN get a good big man by via smart trades like Indiana did in order to get Jermaine O'Neal. (It does not have to be through the draft!) I wasn't saying that the Knicks could get Jermaine O'Neal, but they can get young PF/Cs with upside by following the same method Indiana did.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 01/24/2005 18:04:29]
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/25/2005  12:46 AM

I just woke up and read this. This is an excellent post and an excellent point. There are many ways to build championship teams and there are many kinds of championship teams. If you can't see pieces to what could be a championship team in 2-3 years, you just lack vision.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/25/2005  12:49 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by BRIGGS:

what are you talking about, isiah said there would be no rebuilding in NY and had no use for the draft in the first few weeks he was hied. remember mike sweetney is NOt his pick, its a guy who was here.

If you think rebuilding is spending 200mm dollars on Marbury crawford and Nazr, thats a TERRIBLE plan. the playetrs are CASTOFFS from losing franchises--how dos that=winning???? we got what we deserved going after TT, my bet is we couldve gotten much different better value for KVH when he was hot as hll last year. we couldve broken up all the assets we had i.e Mcdyess ending contract our draft pick, lampe and instead of spening so much, i mean what would you rather haev now, Marbury or say Al Jefferson and Josh Smith? Honestly, wed be in BETTER poistion with JEFFERSON and SMITh even if you dont understand it--like I sais the day after we traded for marbury and you can go look it up, trading for marbury put us DEEPER into the quagmire and we are in DEEP.

Id bet most savvy basketball fans would trade Marbury for Josh Smith and Al Jefferson in about a second.

KVH, Josh Smith
Al Jeff, Sweetney
Doleac?

I like Jefferson and Smith too, but I think Isiah rightly realized that fans were sick of being perceived as total losers and needed a Spree-like star to identify with. Hence Marbury, the perfect NYC basketball star. And, Isiah also felt he was getting Rasheed Wallace last year for KT and spare parts, which I think we all agree would have changed the shape of the entire NBA, not just the East. Danny Ainge screwed him by assisting Detroit's trade and taking on more money (which he then dumped on the Lakers for PAyton and Fox in the off-season).

So, yes, when Isiah thought he could add Marbury and Wallace to a healthy Allan Houston, he was playing to get right into the Finals against the Lakers and rejuvenate the franchise (I believe he said "light the world on fire"). BUT (and with the NYK, there's always a but), Houston started showing the knee signs, Wallace went to Detroit thanks to Ainge and offers dried up for Kurt.

Thus, change of plan. Isiah shipped KVH at the HEIGHT of his value (how many games has KVH missed since that trade) for TT and Nazr, a trade that basically took a year off of the heinous KVH contract and upgraded Doleac to Nazr. Then, he shipped spare parts (Frank Williams' brilliant WEEK in December 03 notwithstanding) for Jamal Crawford and JYD, a young star who the fans identify with and a role player who plays like Oak used to. He gets the steal of the second round with Ariza and sets the team up to win the division in 2004-5, still telling everyone that his major move will come in the summer of 05 when his contracts look appealing again (well before Van Horn, Eisley, et al would have been).

As of 12/31/04, the Knicks were 16-13 and in first place and fans were ecstatic. Then, the wheels fell off the bus. Injuries piled up, Sweets went down, Penny and Jamal were already down, Allan never found a groove....aka...IT HAPPENS to the best of us. BUT, we're still set up to make a move this summer, when there's a better draft and there is a huge assortment of big men both readily available and potentially available via trades. So, yeah, I'm willing to give Isiah through August to improve the team.

Another excellent post and excellent points. I willing to give him that time as well. We are still headed in the right direction.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
1/25/2005  10:23 AM
Alonzo was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets with the #2 pick in '92....I don't think luck had a big part in that.

[Edited by - joec32033 on 01/25/2005 10:24:42]
~You can't run from who you are.~
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
1/25/2005  11:35 AM
Where Have You Gone Dave DeBusschere?

Omar Minaya should have been Mets GM long BEFORE he went to Montreal. Not because he has the Latin hook-up but because he knows baseball.

Having said that, note the portrayal of his significant moves for Pedro and Carlos Beltran as a result oi his "connection" and not his extra effort, determination or critical eye for cohesive talent?

In the same vein, after one year Isiah, is on a desperately short leash from those like islesfan and the press, Despite his determination, extra effort and risk taking directed at the transformation of a dead-in-the-water franchise he is now seen by some as the proverbial snake-oil salesman in a designer suit.

Having said that, I've always contended the Knicks needed a diverse roster to accurately represent the wildly diverse population of the metropolitan area.

The Knicks also desperately need a few good media-friendly ballplayers or coaches for the superficial writers to attach positive vocabulary as hard-working role models whose contributions don't always show up in the box score.

In the process, this subtle fine-tuning of the roster would buy extra time for our beloved Knicks and provide more familiar images for fans who already resent Isiah's authority and perceive his initial roster makeover as a mistake

Do the Wally Szerbiak, Larry Brown and Phil Jackson stories have more shelf life than the Harry Potter series because of the actual needs of the team or the not-so-hidden agendas of the beat-writers?.

Marbury is too "street". Crawford to undisciplined. Kurt too crazy. Tim too fugazy/lazy. Nazr too Mohammed. Sweetney too stoic. Ariza WAY too young.

.... And Allan Houston will ALWAYS be resented for the chedda

Will Herb be judged by the content of his playbook and character or the color of his (cough) suits?

Hopefully, Isiah just gets us some cats who can play by 2007.
once a knick always a knick
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/25/2005  2:04 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by BRIGGS:

KVH, Josh Smith
Al Jeff, Sweetney
Doleac?

i would rather have the team with jefferson smith Lampe and sweetney. Id be willing to take my lumps for a couple of years and weed out those contracts and take a few high picks.
Having a a plan to acquire 7-8 high quality young guys to keep together for 10 years and give us cap flexibility in 2-3 would be much better than the crp we have now.
RIP Crushalot😞
hDavis
Member: #494
USA
1/25/2005  2:42 PM
the thing i noticed most from watching the isiah interview on Miked up was that Isiah has no problem lying. Why cant he admit that he fired Lenny? or that he would have fired him and that it was a mistake to hire him in the first place?
ANOTHER Knick turnover! -Marv Albert
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/25/2005  3:16 PM
Posted by joec32033:

Alonzo was drafted by the Charlotte Hornets with the #2 pick in '92....I don't think luck had a big part in that.

[Edited by - joec32033 on 01/25/2005 10:24:42]

Dang. I totally forgot that he was a Hornet once. Sure it was luck. Charlotte was lucky enough to have the 2nd pick in the lottery. Although, Orlando was luckier that year.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/25/2005  3:25 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

It's all LUCK!

Don't forget Houston SCREWED UP by selecting the Dream. They passed by Michael Jordan to take him. Ah, you say, but the Dream led them to 2 championships. Only because Jordan was retired those 2 years!! Houston would have lost to Chicago in '94 instead of beating a choke Knicks team and in '95 instead of beating an immature Magic team. To be technical, MJ was back on the Bulls when they lost in '95 but this was after coming back late in the season from baseball and wearing #45 and all that crap.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/25/2005  3:42 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by NYKBocker:

It's all LUCK!

Don't forget Houston SCREWED UP by selecting the Dream. They passed by Michael Jordan to take him. Ah, you say, but the Dream led them to 2 championships. Only because Jordan was retired those 2 years!! Houston would have lost to Chicago in '94 instead of beating a choke Knicks team and in '95 instead of beating an immature Magic team. To be technical, MJ was back on the Bulls when they lost in '95 but this was after coming back late in the season from baseball and wearing #45 and all that crap.

9 times out of ten you go with drafting the Dream. Look, Mikey was the product of Phil, and he grew into a freak! Not many 6-6 skinny guys can carry teams like he did. But lets face it, without the right coach, bulls might have one just one, and mike would have been clyde the glide or Dominique Wilkens only. Hakeem was a 7 foot freak with point guard quickness. If he had half the gumption of jordan, he would ahve been the best who ever lived. Out of college, there is no way of measuring Jordans drive and hunger, and ability to mentally be tougher than any athlete I have ever seen to hold up a high standard for so many years! ANd he never got hurt! Even with Lebrons great physical gifts, I doubt he will ever be the man michael was. That is what made Jordan the animal he was. That was the edge. Hakeem got two rings, but was often injured and sick with all kinds of weird stuff.

Sam Bowie, taken by portland 2nd in that draft was a mistake! POrtland had Drexler, who projected to be better than Jordan and was that franchise.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/25/2005  3:56 PM
Posted by Nalod:

9 times out of ten you go with drafting the Dream. Look, Mikey was the product of Phil, and he grew into a freak! Not many 6-6 skinny guys can carry teams like he did. But lets face it, without the right coach, bulls might have one just one, and mike would have been clyde the glide or Dominique Wilkens only. Hakeem was a 7 foot freak with point guard quickness. If he had half the gumption of jordan, he would ahve been the best who ever lived. Out of college, there is no way of measuring Jordans drive and hunger, and ability to mentally be tougher than any athlete I have ever seen to hold up a high standard for so many years! ANd he never got hurt! Even with Lebrons great physical gifts, I doubt he will ever be the man michael was. That is what made Jordan the animal he was. That was the edge. Hakeem got two rings, but was often injured and sick with all kinds of weird stuff.

Sam Bowie, taken by portland 2nd in that draft was a mistake! POrtland had Drexler, who projected to be better than Jordan and was that franchise.

Okay you're right. But more importantly I'll see you here in 10 years when we're having the exact same conversation anout a 6-8 skinny guy who similarly carried his team to multiple championships. Named Trevor Ariza!!!
Isiah on Mike'd Up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy