[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah on Mike'd Up
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/24/2005  12:51 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Hopefully Isiah plans on letting the contracts expire rather than dealing them for more overpriced garbage. Then we'll be able to see if he's rebuilding or just filling the seats for Fat Jim Dolan.

He will go after a young stud and if he has to take a contract with some yrs left on it he may do it. Like Artest & Croshere or Odom & Grant(just giving examples, he didn't say this). But he isn't going to trade Tim Thomas ending contract for Reaf Lafrentz thinking he has his big man to bring us to the playoffs. Something Layden would do.

sorry, that core scks. i guess if he likes that core, we are fcked. whoever says the opposite, is smoking something.

He never said that was the core. He was naming the players 27 & younger he brought in because he was talking about his goals when he came it was to get younger. And his goals for the future are to continue to get younger and get the salary cap more managable. He also said his job is to get the best players and the best coaches(meaning Jackson or Brown) for this team and make this team the best. And he said you need a great player & a great coach & a good gm. I like how he said only good when he was talking about himself.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
1/24/2005  12:51 AM
sorry, that core scks. i guess if he likes that core, we are fcked. whoever says the opposite, is smoking something.

Thats just to funny though.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/24/2005  12:53 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

no doubt he is the 2nd best player on this team now. but will he be the 2nd best player after Zeke brings in an elite bigman or another good player? NOOOOOOOOO

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 01/24/2005 00:47:26]
How do you get an elite big man? some far-fetched fantasy that someone will take Tim Thomas? What *elite* big man is for sale? And if there were ever a true big for sale, what the fck do we have to offer, really? Do we have a Lamar Odom or Caron Butler? NOOOO! we need to get into position to draft a big man in the next two years and that wll take scking
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/24/2005  1:07 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by gunsnewing:

no doubt he is the 2nd best player on this team now. but will he be the 2nd best player after Zeke brings in an elite bigman or another good player? NOOOOOOOOO

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 01/24/2005 00:47:26]
How do you get an elite big man? some far-fetched fantasy that someone will take Tim Thomas? What *elite* big man is for sale? And if there were ever a true big for sale, what the fck do we have to offer, really? Do we have a Lamar Odom or Caron Butler? NOOOO! we need to get into position to draft a big man in the next two years and that wll take scking

lol im sure people were saying what elite PG is out there before we got Marbury. I'm all for tanking and getting the #1 pick and drafting the next Duncan or Lebron but it's not happening in NY so I'm not gonna get my self up with false hope
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
1/24/2005  1:52 AM
Who says they need to tank? They are bad enough now where they could be at the back end of the lottery, where a guy like Amare was taken.

We will have to see which direction Isiah is moving in with his future moves. If he trades for a Jalen Rose, then we know he's lying. If he lets Penny and TT expire, trades Nazr for some young pieces and picks, etc., then we'll know he's doing his best to build a contender.
#Knickstaps
SKY
Member: #687
USA
1/24/2005  2:37 AM
BRIGGS is right.

It would be one thing to have Amare or Lebron James as our CORE YOUNG PLAYER to build around, but guys like Marbury & Crawford?

If we had Duncan/Amare/Shaq/Garnet/O'Neil on this team, Marbury would be an awesome compliment to go with the quality big man. But you don't build a team around a 'ME FIRST PG' with no defense. Sure, if Marbury & Craw were like MJ & Pippen that would be a different story. As for Craw, he's not a good asset to have either. He's too erratic and he's way overpaid. Which team would want to pay 6 million+ for an inconsistant shooter who chucks up too many 3s & a horrible defensive liability.

We got Sweet & Ariza. I like them. But that's because they're "our own" young talent that we drafted - something we didn't have for many years. They're by no means in the same class as Amare or Lebron who are franchise players. I wouldn't care for them much if they were on another team.

Some say that we are only a quality big man away from being a contender. No ****. If we could get Duncan to play with Marbs, Sweet, Ariza, Craw, Nazr, KT, plus other bench players, sure. But the question is HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO GET THAT SUPERSTAR BIG MAN? Do you think our expiring contracts will net us that? Unlikely. Unless your definition of a superstar big man is Webber, Illgauskas or Walker - old vets with no future.

Isiah ****ed up. It's as simple as that. He chose the quick fix, a buzz, hype with no vision or plan for the long run. He learned of what Layden was trying to do and got Marbury & Penny. And HE ADDED CRAWFORD TO THAT! And with that came BAKER... D-u-m-b m-o-v-e. I detest players who are inconsistent, me first, low BB IQ, with no defense, to wear a Knick uniform, and Crawford had this label all over him in CHI. Yet Isiah signs him for over $50 for 7 yrs. If he was worried about H20's health, he could have signed Bob Sura, a decent combo-guard who plays decent defese. He's costing the Rockets $10 mil over 3 yrs, and he's shooting 45%. We also had Van Horn & Doleac, who were playing well with Marbury. But they turn into TT & Nazr. TT is a joke, and Nazr is a good back up C/PF.

I thought about our ending contracts, but like BRIGGS & guns said these ending contracts are like double-edged sword. If you don't use them wisely, it will come back and haunt you for years. It may be wiser to simply let them expire.

So the "foundation" that Isiah talks about is a foundation for what??? A flawed, mediocre team?

We can't count on our big ending contracts. We don't have tradable assets other than Sweet/Ariza/Nazr/KT, and we don't really wanna part ways with our young kids yet, do we? Are H20 & Penny done? Possibly. Will Crawford & Marbury suddenly turn into defensive stoppers? Unlikely. Can we trade for a stud C or PF with what we're willing to give up? Can we sign superstar FA with the payroll that we have? Keep somking...

Then the smart way out is thru the draft - as seen with many teams that are coming back from the dead - PHO/CHI/CLE/DEN, etc. We need to keep our focus and address what's missing - THE CORE TO BUILD A TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER TEAM. What will this team gain out of going to the play-offs? Nothing that's gonna turn this team around. What will this team gain out of sucking real bad this season and getting a top 3 pick? What could that mean to the team's future?

Isiah has to trade for picks. Add one more 1st round pick this yr and for next yr. That'd be a good start.

With an owner who has the biggest and fattest wallet, rebuilding should be easier for this team than most other cash strapped ones.

[Edited by - sky on 01/24/2005 04:36:02]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/24/2005  8:12 AM
Posted by SKY:

BRIGGS is right.

It would be one thing to have Amare or Lebron James as our CORE YOUNG PLAYER to build around, but guys like Marbury & Crawford?

If we had Duncan/Amare/Shaq/Garnet/O'Neil on this team, Marbury would be an awesome compliment to go with the quality big man. But you don't build a team around a 'ME FIRST PG' with no defense. Sure, if Marbury & Craw were like MJ & Pippen that would be a different story. As for Craw, he's not a good asset to have either. He's too erratic and he's way overpaid. Which team would want to pay 6 million+ for an inconsistant shooter who chucks up too many 3s & a horrible defensive liability.

We got Sweet & Ariza. I like them. But that's because they're "our own" young talent that we drafted - something we didn't have for many years. They're by no means in the same class as Amare or Lebron who are franchise players. I wouldn't care for them much if they were on another team.

Some say that we are only a quality big man away from being a contender. No ****. If we could get Duncan to play with Marbs, Sweet, Ariza, Craw, Nazr, KT, plus other bench players, sure. But the question is HOW THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO GET THAT SUPERSTAR BIG MAN? Do you think our expiring contracts will net us that? Unlikely. Unless your definition of a superstar big man is Webber, Illgauskas or Walker - old vets with no future.

Isiah ****ed up. It's as simple as that. He chose the quick fix, a buzz, hype with no vision or plan for the long run. He learned of what Layden was trying to do and got Marbury & Penny. And HE ADDED CRAWFORD TO THAT! And with that came BAKER... D-u-m-b m-o-v-e. I detest players who are inconsistent, me first, low BB IQ, with no defense, to wear a Knick uniform, and Crawford had this label all over him in CHI. Yet Isiah signs him for over $50 for 7 yrs. If he was worried about H20's health, he could have signed Bob Sura, a decent combo-guard who plays decent defese. He's costing the Rockets $10 mil over 3 yrs, and he's shooting 45%. We also had Van Horn & Doleac, who were playing well with Marbury. But they turn into TT & Nazr. TT is a joke, and Nazr is a good back up C/PF.

I thought about our ending contracts, but like BRIGGS & guns said these ending contracts are like double-edged sword. If you don't use them wisely, it will come back and haunt you for years. It may be wiser to simply let them expire.

So the "foundation" that Isiah talks about is a foundation for what??? A flawed, mediocre team?

We can't count on our big ending contracts. We don't have tradable assets other than Sweet/Ariza/Nazr/KT, and we don't really wanna part ways with our young kids yet, do we? Are H20 & Penny done? Possibly. Will Crawford & Marbury suddenly turn into defensive stoppers? Unlikely. Can we trade for a stud C or PF with what we're willing to give up? Can we sign superstar FA with the payroll that we have? Keep somking...

Then the smart way out is thru the draft - as seen with many teams that are coming back from the dead - PHO/CHI/CLE/DEN, etc. We need to keep our focus and address what's missing - THE CORE TO BUILD A TRUE CHAMPIONSHIP CALIBER TEAM. What will this team gain out of going to the play-offs? Nothing that's gonna turn this team around. What will this team gain out of sucking real bad this season and getting a top 3 pick? What could that mean to the team's future?

Isiah has to trade for picks. Add one more 1st round pick this yr and for next yr. That'd be a good start.

With an owner who has the biggest and fattest wallet, rebuilding should be easier for this team than most other cash strapped ones.

[Edited by - sky on 01/24/2005 04:36:02]
Send me the Cliffsnotes and I'll read your message
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/24/2005  8:49 AM
I think when Isiah talks about a core- he is meaning that those are the players he sees being a part of the future- i.e., those are the kind of players he wants.

And while crawford's shooting is horrible- he has the potential to refine his game and be lethal.

And, as for his rebuilding on the fly- they got younger last year and made the playoffs- we got younger this year and have a chance to make the playoffs.

This team has put up some solid effort this year with wins over Orlando and the Timberwolves- thats what the team is capable of- whether they can get back to that level of play and sustain it for the rest of the year is up to them and Herb.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/24/2005  9:10 AM
this is the kinda B.S that was being fed to Knick fans 15 months ago. If this does not tell you the Knick have come far under Isiah:

http://www.mofosports.net/news/nyk/1069032522.html
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/24/2005  9:29 AM
How do you get a franchise BIG MAN? Get lucky in the draft.

Knicks - They got lucky with Ewing. Our genie (Stern) granted our wish.

San Antonio - Got lucky twice with The Admiral and Duncan. They also tanked their seasons to get more ping pong balls on both occasions.

Houston - Got lucky 2 times. The Dream and Yao.

Suns - Got lucky with Amare.

Minny - Got lucky with KG.

Orlando - Got lucky with Shaq.

Miami - Got lucky with Alonzo. Then got lucky to draft quality players to send to the Lakers for Shaq.

It's all LUCK!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/24/2005  9:34 AM
TT has dropped so far that nazrs contribution is not worth what we lost in KVH and Doleac. KVh is also an ending deal this season.

The ebbs and flows make various deals look good and bad. Last season TT looked very good, and this year Nazr was a big surprise. Isiah made one deal too much. Im ok with Taking Penny on to get Marbs, but I really never liked Penny and am dissapointed on his diva act. Im sure Isiah is dissapointed he can't crack some diva attidudes with some old fashioned values.

Craw the clown is a multiyear project. His upside remains, but Allans slow recovery has propelled Craws playing time when he should get the hook. it is key that Allan recover. For this season.

I'd say there is truth in all the messages in this forum. But I long feel that Layden is no benchmark to judge Isiah. We should expect much better!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/24/2005  12:27 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

San Antonio - Got lucky twice with The Admiral and Duncan. They also tanked their seasons to get more ping pong balls on both occasions.

Miami - Got lucky with Alonzo. Then got lucky to draft quality players to send to the Lakers for Shaq.

It's all LUCK!
How about make a smart trade?

Indiana: Jermaine O'Neal
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/24/2005  12:43 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by NYKBocker:

It's all LUCK!

I think we've got a better shot at scoring a quality big with a draft pick than a trade.

Lately, I think other teams look at the money we spend and only will send a garbage contract our way with anything good.

I don't remember what went both ways, but imagine if we'd tried to get Drew Gooden- I'm sure Orlando would have wanted us to over pay.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/24/2005  1:27 PM
how many teams have a stud big man? How many teams in the east?

Just curious.
all kool aid all the time.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
1/24/2005  1:52 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by NYKBocker:

It's all LUCK!

They were lucky enough to get a smart trade. They got lucky in drafting Dale Davis which they used to trade with Portland.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/24/2005  2:26 PM
Posted by Nalod:

TT has dropped so far that nazrs contribution is not worth what we lost in KVH and Doleac. KVh is also an ending deal this season.

Craw the clown is a multiyear project. His upside remains, but Allans slow recovery has propelled Craws playing time when he should get the hook. it is key that Allan recover. For this season.

I'd say there is truth in all the messages in this forum. But I long feel that Layden is no benchmark to judge Isiah. We should expect much better!

Huh? KVH's deal runs a year longer than TT's. It was a great trade if only for that aspect. Add the fact that Nazr is our single most tradeable asset and may lead to getting a guy like Stromile, Kwame or Tyson and it was a great trade.

You guys are hilarious. You scream about needing to rebuild and then when a guy comes in here, CLEARLY INTENDING TO REBUILD, you scream and moan that we'll never get a superstar big and the GM has no plan. Do you really think Isiah has NO PLAN? Really?

He's got a plan. Give him this draft and this summer to make moves. If the team isn't moving in the right direction by September 05, then I'll start screaming for Isiah's head too, but COME ON. He traded for the superstar point guard we've coveted for ages. He got Penny's deal which is shorter and far more tradeable than Eisley's deal. He traded for TT and Nazr who are far more tradeable than KVH and Doleac. TT has the shorter deal than KVH and most teams probably see Nazr as starting quality. Mullin almost gave us Dampier for Othella and Nazr. Now, with Nazr expiring, you know how many teams will take a one year flier on a 27yr-old 6'10" center who is top five in the NBA in offensive rebounding and top ten in FGP?

People who always preach the need to rebuild in the draft need to ignore ESPN's anti-Isiah bias and look at the product on the floor. Is it the best basketball team we've seen since Camby left? Yes. Is it young and athletic? Yes. Part of being a young team involves losing heart breaking games like the Detroit game, the Bulls games, the Bucks game, the New Orleans game, the Orlando game and the Washington game. Next year, when this team has more pieces and Marbury and Craw know how to play off each other better, they'll win the majority of those close games.

I'm really getting sick of this ridiculous negativity and questioning of some overall plan. Give him this offseason. Let's see if he can make another Marbury type trade to land Odom, Webber, Stromile, something. Let's see if he can snag Phil or Larry after landing a big or two.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 01/24/2005 14:27:08]
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/24/2005  3:06 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

[quote]Posted by Nalod:

Huh? KVH's deal runs a year longer than TT's. It was a great trade if only for that aspect. Add the fact that Nazr is our single most tradeable asset and may lead to getting a guy like Stromile, Kwame or Tyson and it was a great trade.

You guys are hilarious. You scream about needing to rebuild and then when a guy comes in here, CLEARLY INTENDING TO REBUILD, you scream and moan that we'll never get a superstar big and the GM has no plan. Do you really think Isiah has NO PLAN? Really?

He's got a plan. Give him this draft and this summer to make moves. If the team isn't moving in the right direction by September 05, then I'll start screaming for Isiah's head too, but COME ON. He traded for the superstar point guard we've coveted for ages. He got Penny's deal which is shorter and far more tradeable than Eisley's deal. He traded for TT and Nazr who are far more tradeable than KVH and Doleac. TT has the shorter deal than KVH and most teams probably see Nazr as starting quality. Mullin almost gave us Dampier for Othella and Nazr. Now, with Nazr expiring, you know how many teams will take a one year flier on a 27yr-old 6'10" center who is top five in the NBA in offensive rebounding and top ten in FGP?

People who always preach the need to rebuild in the draft need to ignore ESPN's anti-Isiah bias and look at the product on the floor. Is it the best basketball team we've seen since Camby left? Yes. Is it young and athletic? Yes. Part of being a young team involves losing heart breaking games like the Detroit game, the Bulls games, the Bucks game, the New Orleans game, the Orlando game and the Washington game. Next year, when this team has more pieces and Marbury and Craw know how to play off each other better, they'll win the majority of those close games.

I'm really getting sick of this ridiculous negativity and questioning of some overall plan. Give him this offseason. Let's see if he can make another Marbury type trade to land Odom, Webber, Stromile, something. Let's see if he can snag Phil or Larry after landing a big or two.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 01/24/2005 14:27:08]

what are you talking about, isiah said there would be no rebuilding in NY and had no use for the draft in the first few weeks he was hied. remember mike sweetney is NOt his pick, its a guy who was here.

If you think rebuilding is spending 200mm dollars on Marbury crawford and Nazr, thats a TERRIBLE plan. the playetrs are CASTOFFS from losing franchises--how dos that=winning???? we got what we deserved going after TT, my bet is we couldve gotten much different better value for KVH when he was hot as hll last year. we couldve broken up all the assets we had i.e Mcdyess ending contract our draft pick, lampe and instead of spening so much, i mean what would you rather haev now, Marbury or say Al Jefferson and Josh Smith? Honestly, wed be in BETTER poistion with JEFFERSON and SMITh even if you dont understand it--like I sais the day after we traded for marbury and you can go look it up, trading for marbury put us DEEPER into the quagmire and we are in DEEP.
I mean how is this guy trying to tell you that the young core is here?

Id bet most savvy basketball fans would trade Marbury for Josh Smith and Al Jefferson in about a second.
RIP Crushalot😞
MX25
Member: #555
USA
1/24/2005  3:51 PM
If you look at Isiah's Dec 03 comments about NOT rebuilding and the Draft being a crapshoot. And how he's not rebuilding Knicks. And he doesn't care about the draft because knicks are gonna win next year cause he's adding to the team to make the playoffs. All we heard from Isiah in 04 Summer was how he re-tooled the knicks and how they'll be such a better and more exciting team. After that failed he's changed tones and is now saying the "Rebuilding next 4-5 years" Spin. He's such a double talker and nothing is ever his fault.
newyorknewyork
1/24/2005  4:48 PM
Washington signed Arenas to a huge long term contract & traded there #4 pick for Jaimison. Both of them were on losing teams in GS. And what has Larry Hughes won through out his career??? But yet those 3 have been real successfull this season. Detroit broke the rules and won a championship by having a collection of talent instead of having 2 dominant players. Suns are having great success with no big man, no depth at all, 2 players playing out of position, with 4 athletic freaks and a great uptempo PG. Seattle is having success with no frontcourt what so ever. Just haveing good ball movement a very good team game on offense & defense and launching 1million 3. Denver had success last season because they tore down everything landed Carmelo Anthony, signed Andre Miller as well as worked with Nene & kept Camby healthy. Cavs had success because they tore down everything landed Lebron James. Though if they could have missed out and landed Darko Milicic and then there plan wouldn't be so hot. Indy had success because after they went to the finals they decided to build on the fly and swaped allstar at the time Dale Davis for J'Oneal who did absolutly nothing his first few yrs but had potential. Drafted 2 highschool guys in Al Harrington & Bender & swapped Jalen Rose for Artest & Brad Miller. Utah had success last season because they had a team full of scrappy, hard nosed, no name players around possible the most versatile player in the game in Kirenlinko.

There is no specific formula. All you can do is take chances.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/24/2005  4:54 PM
i think, like others said, isiah overestimated what he had and what he did. he realizes now this team is one of the worst defensive teams in knicks history (if not the worst) and it will take ALOT longer than he anticipated. the next calendar year, from february on will determine if isiah is a good gm, or another one that's in over his head. no more scapegoats for him so time will tell...
Isiah on Mike'd Up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy