[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Question concerning ending contracts
Author Thread
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
1/23/2005  10:57 PM
I'm looking at the ENDING CONTRACTS (all '05/'06 salary).

- Baker $3.8 million
- Nazr $5.5 million
- Moochy $4.2 million

The above 3 contracts, I don't see any problems with moving. Obviously Nazr is playing well and many teams would want to have him on borad. Baker & Moochy are servicable back ups.

But,
- Penny $15.7 million
- TT $14 million

Will it be easy to move these 2?

Teams want ending contracts to lower payroll by trading away their own big & long contratcs (as in the Pheonix trade involving McDyess+Ward/Marbury+Penny), right?

I mean Ewing & McDyess were both big men who were coming back from injury and could (and did) contribute. But can that be said of Penny & TT? Does it matter that they may not contribute at all? Is it possible realistically to move these 2 contracts without taking back long & bad contracts? What are the past examples of trades invloving max-ending-contracts for players who are basically "done" or who just simply suck?
AUTOADVERT
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
1/23/2005  11:02 PM
for starters the terrell brandon - glenn robinson swap for atlanta. brandon retired.
http://allknicks.com
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/23/2005  11:04 PM
spoon is another ending contract. we must trade Kurt for him and a draft pick
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
1/23/2005  11:06 PM
Expiring contracts are very valuable to teams that are trying to sell to new owners, positioning to rebuild, Clippers, etc. TT & Penny's contracts are actually like Oil. You wont have to do anything, they will trade themselves. You will get optimal value for their expiring contracts at closer to the trade deadline next year when the team only has to pay for 1/2 year and get a 15 million cap relief.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
1/24/2005  12:02 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Expiring contracts are very valuable to teams that are trying to sell to new owners, positioning to rebuild, Clippers, etc. TT & Penny's contracts are actually like Oil. You wont have to do anything, they will trade themselves. You will get optimal value for their expiring contracts at closer to the trade deadline next year when the team only has to pay for 1/2 year and get a 15 million cap relief.

Right... obviously ending contracts are most valuable right before the deadline in its final yr. If we don't want to take back bad contracts for our ending ones, it's highly likely we'll be stuck with Penny & TT for another full year...
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
1/24/2005  12:28 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Of course you have to do something, you have to be willing to take back even worse contracts that are for a longer term and will keep you over the cap for even longer. You have to be willing to take players whose current teams value the cap space over having them be on their team any longer. You might have to be willing to give up draft picks and young players too. Aside from all that, expiring contracts are great.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/24/2005  12:37 AM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Silverfuel:

Of course you have to do something, you have to be willing to take back even worse contracts that are for a longer term and will keep you over the cap for even longer. You have to be willing to take players whose current teams value the cap space over having them be on their team any longer. You might have to be willing to give up draft picks and young players too. Aside from all that, expiring contracts are great.

that is why we'd problably be better off just letting the contracts expire. At least I know that with Isiah we won't be trading for Mcdyess and we won't be giving the next clarence weatherspoon 5million dollars a year or we won't be trading for the next shandon and eisely who make 8mil each. At least I know that Isiah will bring actual talent to New York. Not damaged good
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/24/2005  7:36 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

spoon is another ending contract. we must trade Kurt for him and a draft pick
I like this, but if it happened spoon has to be placed on IR E-mediatly!!!!!!!!!

I mean, don't even give him a jersey, I never want to see him in a knick uniform!!!
Question concerning ending contracts

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy