[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Article By David Aldridge
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
3/7/2002  7:46 PM
Here's an article I found by David Aldridge, which is somewhat soothing to know that this will all be over soon:

"I can't help it. I'm loving this.

Every day, someone with a Knick Allegiance comes up to me and says, 'What are they doing?'

I really love the New York sense of entitlement. Our team plays in New York; therefore, it should be winning; if it isn't, bring in someone who will make it win.

Don Chaney got an extension because no big-money coach can turn the Knicks around quickly.
It is very important, therefore, to Have A Plan in New York. If you Have A Plan, everything is all right. This is all I read about, the need to Have This Plan that will make the Knicks a title contender again.

Well, Gothamites, guess what?

There's no Plan.

Every team in sports stinks from time to time.

It's your turn.

There is no magic bullet, no savior that will change the fact that the Knicks are an expensive, ill-fitting mess, and they're not getting better any time soon. And I think that's why Cablevision gave Don Chaney a one-year contract extention in the face of his 12-27 record since taking over for Jeff Van Gundy. (Although why they did it now and not at the end of the season, or when they first hired Chaney, is a little odd.) It was a white flag, an acknowledgement that nothing is going to change the short term, and there is no point in continuing to throw money around looking for a miracle.

Which, if you think about it, is Kind of a Plan.

The Knicks are budgeted for $85.5 million this season, $89.4 million next season, $94.3 million in 2003 and $69.5 million in 2004 (when Mark Jackson, Travis Knight and Charlie Ward finally come off their bloated cap). They won't be under the cap until LeBron James is on his second NBA contract. They cannot sign any free agents because they will never clear enough cap room.

Scott Layden, it says here, is guilt of throwing good money after bad, and further saddling his team's long-term escape prospects. And he's guilty of believing David Falk, which wouldn't make him the first GM to make that mistake, only the latest. But, for fun's sake, let's take away the two major deals of his administration. One was Patrick Ewing, Chris Dudley and a first-round pick for Glen Rice, Luc Longley, Knight, Vernon Maxwell, Lazaro Burrell, Vladmir Stepania and two first-round picks. The second was Rice and Muggsy Bogues for Howard Eisley and Shandon Anderson (Anderson on a sign-and-trade).

End result: Longley (still on the cap despite his waiver and retirement), Knight, Eisley, Maxwell and Anderson come off the books, to the tune of $20.6 million in savings this season.

The Knicks would still be way over the cap.

Add the salaries of Marcus Camby, Larry Johnson (like Longley, still on the cap despite his waiver and retirmement), Latrell Sprewell, Kurt Thomas, Othella Harrington and Ward together and you get $41.8 million. The cap is $42.5 million. And that $41.8 million doesn't count Allan Houston, whose cap charge is $12.75 million today. Even if we all agree Layden overpaid to keep him, he would have had to pay him something. Let's say it was $10 million per year (for a $70 million deal) instead of $14 million and change per. That still would put New York at $51.8 million this season. And that's just for six guys. Even minimal spending for another six to eight players would have pushed the Knicks' cap well in excess of $60 million this season.

My point is not that Layden hasn't made some bad moves, only that some of this was in place before he got there.

And even if you think Layden is the dumbest guy in the room, who, exactly, is supposed to turn this around? Larry Brown? Oh, that would work. Larry in Gotham, getting second-guessed every 17 seconds, with an old, expensive team that would roll its collective eye the first time LB talked about "playing the right way." Doc Rivers? Um, you might want to talk with Mrs. Rivers before you throw that stale chestnut out again. In Orlando, .500 is acceptable; Grant Hill's been hurt. In New York, .500 gets Vinny from Passaic railing to blowhard talk radio hosts.

Donnie Walsh? Let's see. In Indiana, he has a new building that he runs, solid ownership, a charismatic coach, ridiculously loyal fans and the best young talent in the league. In New York, he'd have…what was the question again? Jerry West? He hasn't worked anywhere but Inglewood, Calif., for 40 years. This may come as a surprise to you in the Most Important City in the World, but he has a nice life in Cali. He plays golf, he hangs out. I never say never, but there would have to be an awful lot of money involved to even get Jerry to think about it -- and by extending Chaney, you've kind of made it clear that you're not going to spend dollars like that.

The only thing the Knicks can do now is ride this thing out. No one wants any of their players, save Sprewell and Thomas, and not everybody wants them. I know you don't want to hear this, but couldn't it be time for the Knicks to be bad enough to get in the lottery and have a chance at some prime young talent? Prime, low-priced talent that can be locked up for five years? By which time most of these horrible contracts will have finally run their horrible course?

It may be difficult to come out and call that your Plan. In a place where you charge through the nose for your product.

If anyone comes up with something better, let me know.

ALDRIDGE'S RANKINGS
THE TOP 10
1. Dallas
2. Sacramento
3. L.A. Lakers
4. Minnesota
5. San Antonio
6. Portland
7. New Jersey
8. Milwaukee
9. Detroit
10. Boston

THE BOTTOM FIVE
25. Denver
26. Atlanta
27. Memphis
28. Chicago
29. Golden State

THE MIDDLE FOURTEEN
11. Seattle
12. Utah
13. Philadelphia
14. Indiana
15. Orlando
16. Charlotte
17. Washington
18. Miami
19. Phoenix
20. Toronto
21. L.A. Clippers
22. New York
23. Cleveland
24. Houston
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/7/2002  8:11 PM
yeah, I think if you take the situation as a whole - before Layden got to NY - and also consider that Layden was forced to do some moves by former boss Dave Checketts, Layden has not had much chance for real improvement.

I was a little surprised the other day when most of the NY wirters (with the exception of Dave D of NJO and Barbara B of Newsday) knocked the extention of Chaney and continue to knock Layden and his lack of moves. I don't think any person as GM could do much more. Really, what could he have been done?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/8/2002  5:18 AM
I don't know guys, why should we stick up for Layden? It's true that he's been a pushover for Checketss and JVG but still he's messed up quite badly this year..
Why is Layden a bad GM?
You know what, I'll even be friendly about it and only cover the beginning of this season. What were the objectives? Get an actual center and/or a SF.

results (probably not in the actual order it took place)?

1. bad draft, eventhough we had only two second round picks the picks were low risk and didn't even make it into the NBA. He could have chosen Loren Woods C , Kenny Satterfield PG , Jarron Collins FC or even Ousman Cisse FC but none of that.

2. outbid himself for Houston. No matter how you look at it a stupid move yet you can only blame Layden for this as a GM should know the NBA landscape and a players market value.

3. So while still without the set objectives of a C or a SF use the midlevel exception on Weatherspoon. Albeit a banger still a short tweener at the PF spot which is unnecessary.

4. Messes up the use of both medical exceptions of LL and LJ(too late)

5. trades Rice for a PG and a SG which still leaves us without a C or a SF

6. Leaves us with the following roster setup: 8 guards, 4 pf's and 2 ceneters who are called Spencer and Knight. JVG, whether he had influence re: trades or not saw the writing on the wall with this oldest and shortest team in the league and said sayonara.

So uhm YES,

fire layden

Personally I think one of the major moves extending Chaney could indeed be that he's in no way the culprit and it's all on Layden.

I'm pretty sure Aldridge is wrong on our cap problems, we do have 85.8 and 89.4 this and next season but I find it hard to believe we have a 94.3 hit in the 03 season. Unless he doesn't know that that's only untill the preseason date on where LL and LJ don't count against our cap anymore (two years to the date after their retirement theygo off the books).
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
3/8/2002  5:31 AM
Larry Coon adds..
A player who dies or who suffers a career-ending injury or illness, and whose contract is terminated, may be excluded from his team's team salary. If the death, injury, or illness occurs between July 1 and December 31, the salary can be excluded beginning on the second July 1 following the death, injury, or illness. If the termination occurs between January 1 and June 30, the salary can be excluded beginning two years after the death, injury, or illness. However, a team may decide not to terminate the contract and continue to pay the player. For example, the Lakers continued to pay Magic Johnson after he was forced to retire because of his HIV status, so his salary still counted as team salary (against the cap).

The cba is much to complicated but I'm pretty sure it's two years after the date of retirement due to injury for both players.
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
3/8/2002  5:35 AM
do the math..

New York Knicks Date # of total
Player signed years salary misc FA
Lavor Postell ......... 10/1/01 1 minimum '02
Larry Robinson ........ 10/1/01 1 minimum '02
Felton Spencer ........ 9/27/01 1 minimum '02
Mark Jackson .......... 8/11/00 4 $16.4 million t-opt '04
Travis Knight ......... 7/7/97 7 $22 million '04
Kurt Thomas ........... 8/1/00 3 $13 million t-opt 4th '04
Charlie Ward .......... 1/21/99 6 $28 million '04
Marcus Camby .......... 9/9/96,3/11/99 3+6 $8.4+$39 mill t-opt 6th '05
Othella Harrington .... 1/21/99 7 $17,325,000 '05
Latrell Sprewell ...... 7/22/96,11/2/99 4+5 $32 mill + $61.9 mill '05
Clarence Weatherspoon . 7/20/01 5 $27,228,000 '06
Shandon Anderson ...... 8/10/01 6 $42 million '07
Howard Eisley ......... 8/16/00 7 $41 million '07
Allan Houston ......... 7/23/01 6 $100,406,250 '07

found this at

http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
3/11/2002  1:44 PM
I knew I was right and Aldridge wrong, we've got a cap it of 62 mil (so without LJ and LL) in the 04-05 season and not 94 mil like Aldridge stated. That's still way to much so I wonder what plans "beloved" management has.
You can get with this

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0205/john.php

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1015755020327125.xml

http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1014372642142527.xml

http://www.msnbc.com/news/716303.asp

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knix032608221mar03.story?coll=ny%2Dknicks%2Dheadlines

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/27/sports/basketball/27KNIC.html

Or you can get with that

http://www.nydailynews.com/2002-03-10/Metro_Sports/Basketball/a-143919.asp

Any way you go, this is where it's at

http://www.realgm.com/src_teamcap2.php

New York

(02/03 committed) $87,956,800

(03/04 committed) $88,780,975

(04/05 committed) $62,630,650

(05/06 committed) $40,284,450

(06/07 committed) $29,218,750
Article By David Aldridge

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy