[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

"Wilkens' 'resignation' is not believable" by Adrian Wojnarowski Bergan Record
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
1/23/2005  9:23 AM
Wilkens' 'resignation' is not believable

GREENBURGH, N.Y. - Never mind that Isiah Thomas didn't fire Lenny Wilkens, he would have never fired him. He was Knicks coach for life, and Thomas said so Saturday. This was a resignation. Wilkens had never quit anything in his long, distinguished Hall of Fame coaching career, and it was hard to believe that's what truly happened.

If he had fired Wilkens, you see, Thomas couldn't stand there and declare his ex-coach's 81 games on the job a smashing success. He couldn't stand there and sell that trade for Tim Thomas, that $55 million for Jamal Crawford and insist everything is so wonderful in his presidency at the Garden.

If Thomas fired Wilkens, he would've had to confess to a mistake, and one thing about his managerial and coaching track record is unmistakable: Being Isiah Thomas means never having to say you're sorry.

So, yes, Wilkens resigned. Enough was enough. Jeff Van Gundy resigned as Knicks coach, and forfeited the $8 million left on his contract. Wilkens resigned, and strangely, he'll get paid. That sure sounds like a firing, doesn't it? Lenny had those vague personal issues, the kind that executives and coaches never have when they've won nine of 10 games, only when they've lost nine of 10.

Wilkens struggled to read that statement Saturday, struggling to get the words out - almost as though he didn't believe them. Wilkens didn't stay to answer questions at the Knicks' practice facility, because Wilkens had no interest concocting stories for the reasons he supposedly quit. He went along with this resignation, and these so-called issues in his life that drove him out, but he wasn't going to stand there and play make-believe with management.

It's strange, isn't it? Hubie Brown retired this season, and talked and talked and talked in the aftermath, explaining his reasons for walking away. Wilkens read his statement, and let Thomas do the talking.

To the end, Wilkens was the ultimate company man, letting Thomas have his way, going quietly, the way his deposed assistant, Dick Helm, had done. His trusted assistant had resigned in the aftermath of the disastrous loss to the Celtics in the home opener. Just decided that he had some things in his life to work out, packed his bags and bailed on his buddy, Wilkens. Sure he did.

In Thomas' first season a year ago, the losing was unacceptable. Oh, it was just unacceptable. Thomas demanded accountability. He was the new sheriff in the Garden, and it was refreshing to see someone refuse to accept the garbage of the Scott Layden-Don Chaney era. Once he started losing with his guys, everything changed. Now, it's called "transition." It's called young guys finding their way, and part of the big, master plan.

"I really expect our fans to stay behind us, come through these tough times with us," Thomas said. "Just because it's a little tough and a little rocky, don't start crying and whining, because this is how it is."

Don't start crying and whining? Sorry, but you can't serve up this kind of bad basketball and talk to Knicks fans that way. They pay too much money, and listened too intently when Thomas took over promising that they wouldn't have to wait forever for winning basketball.

All that tough talk of accountability has faded fast, replaced with more and more excuses. Thomas was in complete spin mode Saturday, insisting that Wilkens had "laid a foundation" and did everything that Thomas wanted in his 40-41 run as coach. Well, they don't defend. Whatever Thomas insisted, his guys don't play hard.

They're going to keep getting younger and more athletic, Thomas promised, as though that's a formula for winning basketball. Tim Thomas is young and athletic, and what does that get you? Deeper into salary cap hell with an uninspired, untradable player. There's a reason John Paxson let him go, choosing the Bulls' bright future with winning ex-collegiate stars Kirk Hinrich and Ben Gordon over the intangible-less AAU game of Crawford.

If Thomas wanted to be accountable, he should've stood there Saturday and said, "I pushed out Lenny Wilkens." That's all. Stand there, and say: "I pushed out Wilkens, the way I pushed out Helm." Thomas didn't mind doing that with Chaney, who was unnecessarily mistreated on the way out with Thomas' clumsy pursuit of Mike Fratello.

Why is it different now? That's easy. Thomas didn't hire Chaney. Thomas hired Wilkens. That's his guy. That's the nature of the business.

And before the clamoring gets too loud, everyone needs to forget Phil Jackson. Nine titles or not, he's the wrong coach for the Knicks. Just a horrible fit. There is nothing about his style, his system, to suggest he could turn a struggling team into a contender. The Knicks don't need Zen, they need a kick in the behind. They need Hubie Brown, they need Jeff Van Gundy, they need a tough-minded defensive coach promising to get the most out of an underachieving team.

And to imagine the triangle offense with this putrid collection of passers, just forget it.

I hate writing this sentence, as much as any I've ever written in my life but here goes: The Knicks are a Larry Brown project. He's a D-minus person, but an A-plus coach. And he's always wanted to coach the Knicks at Madison Square Garden. He won his NBA title with the Pistons, maxed out a team that in the right season found the right formula. Detroit won't do it again, Brown knows.

For now, Herb Williams is the perfect Knicks coach for Isiah Thomas. He'll do what Thomas tells him to do, and do it with a smile. It's disappointing. Thomas arrived in New York with a reputation of double-talking, of smiling brightly as he said one thing, only to mean something else. Everyone wants to give Isiah a chance. They really do. Only, his first year on the job hasn't gone nearly as well as he wants you to believe.

If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2005  9:47 AM
Ouch!

Pretty freaking dead on the money.

Does this mean we are condemmed forever? No, but Isiah deserves this bit of critisism.

Isiah had it easy following Layden. He got to discredit the whole lot of them, and make what ever changes he wanted. Its long been his his gig now, and its high time he should be accountable.

I don't think he need not do much this season but stick to a blue print of rebuilding. If it means riding out contracts like TT, Anfernee and Allan, then so be it. Isiah was wrong, but he can right the ship if he does not panic. He even says not to panic, so I hope he is listening to his own voice!
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/23/2005  11:09 AM
Isiah has a plan. Apparently the only idiots who don't see this are employed as NY sports writers. Isiah didn't give the Knicks a ridiculous payroll, and while some say he's made it worse, Tim Thomas' contract expires a year before KVH's (who has barely played all year and missed all of April last year BTW). Penny Hardaway, with a big contract, is fair more tradeable than Howard Eisley. Moochie is more tradeable than Spoon. Jamal is more tradeable than Othella and Frank Williams. And Marbury is an all-star talent in his prime, that if not contending for a championship, at least gives the fans someone to root for and identify with. Also, for the first time since the days of Starks and Mason, we have young talent that can develop HERE in Crawford, Ariza and Sweetney.

This summer we'll have another good draft pick, with an A-plus talent evaluator running the draft. This summer, TT, Penny, moochie and Nazr all become expiring deals and thus highly tradeable. And all are useful players who most teams would actually not mind taking back. Isiah will be able to do something major this summer. Hopefully it will involve a big man like Stromile Swift, Kwame or Tyson Chandler. But Webber will probably be out there, as will Walker, and maybe even Shawn Marion (if you think Phoenix can afford to max out Amare, JoJo, Marion and Nash - they can't. And if they do trade for Dalembert, something has to give). So give Isiah until the summer.

As for firing Wilkens, who knows. I believe more in the Dolan theory. that guy is a giant baby chicken. It makes sense that he would throw a fit after a tough loss.
It makes no sense that Zeke would fire a respected coach who was doing a good job of keeping the troops in line, if not winning, right before the hardest 9 game stretch of the season. That makes no sense at all. I wish the Zeke haters would try to comprehend why he would fire Lenny right before that stretch of games. Now, Dolan, I'll buy. And, in the long run, that's a much more serious problem for this team. Hey, Dolan, if you read this site - STOP SCREWING UP THE KNICKS.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/23/2005  11:15 AM
Posted by islesfan:

In Thomas' first season a year ago, the losing was unacceptable. Oh, it was just unacceptable. Thomas demanded accountability. He was the new sheriff in the Garden, and it was refreshing to see someone refuse to accept the garbage of the Scott Layden-Don Chaney era. Once he started losing with his guys, everything changed. Now, it's called "transition." It's called young guys finding their way, and part of the big, master plan.

Also, Isiah said at the beginning of this season that the Knicks would be a young team who we would get to watch grow, and watch struggle. He laughed when some idiot like Berman asked if they were ready to win a championship. Isiah has always said that it would take a few years to get to championship caliber ball. Only idiot reporters who actually get these quotes first hand appear to be missing that.
¿ △ ?
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/23/2005  11:28 AM
i like how all the people that don't like isiah just take the "wait and see" approach when the team was 3 games over .500 and keep quiet, then as soon as the first big skid hits, they come out of the woodworks talking about how he's made the wrong decisions.

it's funny and sad at the same time b/c you can clearly see their "agenda".
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2005  11:32 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan. Apparently the only idiots who don't see this are employed as NY sports writers. Isiah didn't give the Knicks a ridiculous payroll, and while some say he's made it worse, Tim Thomas' contract expires a year before KVH's (who has barely played all year and missed all of April last year BTW). Penny Hardaway, with a big contract, is fair more tradeable than Howard Eisley. Moochie is more tradeable than Spoon. Jamal is more tradeable than Othella and Frank Williams. And Marbury is an all-star talent in his prime, that if not contending for a championship, at least gives the fans someone to root for and identify with. Also, for the first time since the days of Starks and Mason, we have young talent that can develop HERE in Crawford, Ariza and Sweetney.

This summer we'll have another good draft pick, with an A-plus talent evaluator running the draft. This summer, TT, Penny, moochie and Nazr all become expiring deals and thus highly tradeable. And all are useful players who most teams would actually not mind taking back. Isiah will be able to do something major this summer. Hopefully it will involve a big man like Stromile Swift, Kwame or Tyson Chandler. But Webber will probably be out there, as will Walker, and maybe even Shawn Marion (if you think Phoenix can afford to max out Amare, JoJo, Marion and Nash - they can't. And if they do trade for Dalembert, something has to give). So give Isiah until the summer.

As for firing Wilkens, who knows. I believe more in the Dolan theory. that guy is a giant baby chicken. It makes sense that he would throw a fit after a tough loss.
It makes no sense that Zeke would fire a respected coach who was doing a good job of keeping the troops in line, if not winning, right before the hardest 9 game stretch of the season. That makes no sense at all. I wish the Zeke haters would try to comprehend why he would fire Lenny right before that stretch of games. Now, Dolan, I'll buy. And, in the long run, that's a much more serious problem for this team. Hey, Dolan, if you read this site - STOP SCREWING UP THE KNICKS.

Othella not tradable? NOt take on much more salary?

Hating?

Dude, there is trouble in paradise, has been from day one. Nobody is bashing Isiah, just pointing out the obvious.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/23/2005  11:40 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by islesfan:

Also, Isiah said at the beginning of this season that the Knicks would be a young team who we would get to watch grow, and watch struggle. He laughed when some idiot like Berman asked if they were ready to win a championship. Isiah has always said that it would take a few years to get to championship caliber ball. Only idiot reporters who actually get these quotes first hand appear to be missing that.

That's all the more reason that young players like Sweetney and Ariza have to get more minutes. I hope Herb allocates PT differently. The problem is that Dolan's mandate is to make the playoffs every year. As a result, player development (distribution of PT) and talent procurement (picking near the top of the draft) have suffered.

[Edited by - Rich on 01/23/2005 11:40:37]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/23/2005  11:50 AM
I'm kinda worried that Herb will keep playing Kurt for big minutes and won't have the guts to limit his minutes since they've known each other for so long. If it was a new guy he would ply sweetney more and kurt less i think. Well we will see. At least Herb will be harder on Crawford I think.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 01/23/2005 12:06:04]
DefAndReb
Member: #336
1/23/2005  12:00 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan.

The only problem with your post, crzymdups, is that Isiah is supposed to get this team to the 2nd round this year, not next year. Sure, NOW that the team is exposed as being badly patched together, you can talk about the summer and next season, etc. But it was supposed to be a 45-50 win team THIS year. Isiah even bragged about how great this team would be over the summer, while most sportswriters, correctly, called it as a sham.

Yes, still half a season to go, Knicks can improve the record, but mainly if they shoot the lights out. They will not suddenly become a defensive team, they just don't have the personnel. I agree, of course, that this starts at Dolan. Isiah is trying to turn lemons into lemonade. I give him an 'A' for effort, but an 'F' for execution.
gunsnewing
USA
1/23/2005  12:08 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan.

The only problem with your post, crzymdups, is that Isiah is supposed to get this team to the 2nd round this year, not next year. Sure, NOW that the team is exposed as being badly patched together, you can talk about the summer and next season, etc. But it was supposed to be a 45-50 win team THIS year. Isiah even bragged about how great this team would be over the summer, while most sportswriters, correctly, called it as a sham.

Yes, still half a season to go, Knicks can improve the record, but mainly if they shoot the lights out. They will not suddenly become a defensive team, they just don't have the personnel. I agree, of course, that this starts at Dolan. Isiah is trying to turn lemons into lemonade. I give him an 'A' for effort, but an 'F' for execution.

but all the sportwriters also agree that Lenny needed to go. so obviously they think this team has potential to be a 45win team as we all did. No one expected TT to be this bad and Lenny to be so washed up!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/23/2005  12:09 PM
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan.

you're right. expectations were in the 42-47 win area and so far, the knicks have been dissapointing. but isiah hasn't made moves that set us back for years and years. we still have some ways of upgrading our roster this summer into the next trade deadline. i think we're 2 players away from getting alot younger and building an awesome foundation for the next 5-10 years. if by february of next year, this team is still struggling, the isiah needs to get fired.
gunsnewing
USA
1/23/2005  12:19 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan.

you're right. expectations were in the 42-47 win area and so far, the knicks have been dissapointing. but isiah hasn't made moves that set us back for years and years. we still have some ways of upgrading our roster this summer into the next trade deadline. i think we're 2 players away from getting alot younger and building an awesome foundation for the next 5-10 years. if by february of next year, this team is still struggling, the isiah needs to get fired.

exactly because his legacy in NY will be determined by what he does with the expiriing contracts.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/23/2005  2:03 PM
Thomas said he never considered Lenny Wilkens as the long-term coach that would bring the club the title. He chose Wilkens over Mike Fratello — who's excelling in Memphis — because it was a better fit.

The next two, three years it will be moving up the ladder, then you go and find the coach that brings it home for you," Thomas said. "I thought Lenny could do a better job of calming the waters, building the foundation and then turning it over to somebody else."

From the Post. Thomas allways had 2-3yrs of building the team up on his mind. The team is underachieving and injuries has a lot to do with it. Houston 100% healthy makes this a different team. But before he got the job we never even thought we would have a team to underachieve. Yes we added more long term salary but thats Marbury-Crawford & Kurt Thomas long term salary. So I don't want to hear this he went for win now because he added 100millions of dollars. Marbury is 27 & Crawford is 24. He spent big money on guys that would be apart of the core for a long time with room to improve. I don't see how that isn't building for the future. Tim Thomas KVH Doleac Muhammad Eisley Ward Penny none of those guys bring us closer to a championship and all of them have short term contracts. If u look at what the team will be 3yrs from now none of those guys would be or would have been on it. If we add another contract with 3yrs on it. Its because we are adding another young stud like Artest or Kwame Brown.

When Washington signed Gilbert Arenas to that huge long term contract and traded there #4 pick for Jaimison(You know whats funny both of them were on losing teams in GS and Arenas was losing in Wasington last sesaon does that make them losers??) & his huge contract did it mean that they are going for win now. NO it means they were/are going for be competitive now and keep building the team up. But if Jaimison went down like Houston they would be hurting this season.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
DefAndReb
Member: #336
1/23/2005  6:35 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by DefAndReb:
Posted by crzymdups:

Isiah has a plan.

Agreed. Isiah at least has some youth and energy to work with.
MX25
Member: #555
USA
1/24/2005  12:36 AM
That was a great article by Adrian Wojnarowski. He hit it on the head. Isiah Thomas is a double talker who will be gone in 2 years.

"Wilkens' 'resignation' is not believable" by Adrian Wojnarowski Bergan Record

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy