[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

next year's coaching possibilities
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
1/22/2005  5:07 PM
now, i think the only way herb williams will be the head coach next year is if he takes this team to the conference finals which is not going to happen. i do think herb can help them get a winning record. he seems to be the opposite of wilkens in which he is disciplined and no nonsense which is what we need right now. but here are some of the other coaches who can be available next year.

1.) phil jackson- obvious choice and probably the most realistic. there are, however, two factors that can effect that decision. one, i think phil will want to be coach and probably gm duties. he will have to have most of the control. isaih can do it since he is really "acting" gm while being the president of basketball operations ( steve mills is really the gm). phil will need to build his own team in the way that is comfortable. two, if this happens we can kiss marbury goodbye. marbury is not a phil type of person and will suffer the most with this decision. we heard reports that phil does not respect marbury's game and i can see the two clashing. who will win out on that this time? this is not chaney we are talking about here. though i can see crawford flourishing under jackson more than anyone else on our roster and would be just what is needed.

2.) larry brown- yes, he is still coaching detroit but all this season he has been negative about the team and the organization. it seems like he is just looking at this as work and this is his last season at detroit. plus the added pressure of playing milicic from dumars doesn't help. but we all know that he loves coaching for the right team. i think he would take the current roster and be happy with it. he will stress defense and still let marbury create a'la iverson. plus everywhere he goes the players play with passion and he installs good work ethic in his players. look at what he did to derrick coleman. there are two things going against this. i do not think detroit will let him go unless they get compensation like draft picks which i think we can not afford to give up right now. plus larry brown is known as a gypsy. he does not stay in one place for long. i was suprised he stayed in philly as long as he did. expect him to leave after three years. but in three years we could have a championship. who knows?

3.) patrick ewing- he would definately like to be back into the fold. he is listening intensely to van gundy and is one of the riley " disciples" so he will be no non- sense. respecet factor alone will influence this team especially marbury. probably will coach the same as he plays : with emotion. obviously nthe weakest x's and o's coach of the group and that wcould be a huge problem.

4.) pat riley- i do not know why people will bring his name up. even though isaih went to him last year and he listened, does not mean he will come. he is definately not coming after he catipulted miami to championship contention. if he considers, like jackson, he would have to have total control of the team. i always liked riley and think he would do well but he is not coming.

5.) don nelson- it kind of makes sense. we have an offensive squad with a point guard that is right down nellie's alley. on the offensive end, nellie will have them score in bunches. he is the best offensive coach out there. but defense will be putrid. he also did not do well with the new york pressure last time he was here. health is a major issue ( as well as larry brown).

6.) flip saunders- he will not coach the t'wolves if they do not make is to the conference finals. this team is the most talented team on paper and they are barely in the playoff hunt. a lot of pressure on saunders who has done an excellent job last year keeping egos in check for one goal: championship. if cassel hadn't gatten hurt we would be saying the defending champion t' wolves. he seems to get the most out of his players and can handle adversity fairly well. but can he succeed without the big ticket?
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/22/2005  5:16 PM
there are only two coaches you can get that won't have fans complain and that's phil jackson and larry brown. other than that, fans will always find some fault if the team doesn't produce. i hope we get one of those two so everyone can finally SHUT THE F UP and realize it's the players.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/22/2005  5:40 PM
I like Larry brown. Reggie Miller said he is really tough on his point guards and I like that for Steph. Steph said he learned alot from him this summer in the olympics too. Larry Brown could take steph to the next level. That could be better than a trade (although we still need youth and athleticism) but taking Steph to the next level could also mean taking Nazz, Ariza, Craw, Sweets to the next level as well.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
1/22/2005  5:45 PM
If we bring in Don Nelson, we can just give up the dream that one day we will play defense.
WOODMANnYk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #529
USA
1/22/2005  6:07 PM
it's gonna be Phil Jackson.. He had always wanted to coach the Knicks.

He's one title away from being the only coach with 10 titles underneath his belt..

What way would be better by having Phil Jackson who already won his first ever title as a player with the Knicks and then win the last ones as a Knicks coach.

He will of made a complete full circle..

LArry Brown is a great coach but the downside to him is when the team isn't playing up to par, he leaves.. He does a Bill Parcells minus the retirement..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
franco12
Member: #599
USA
1/22/2005  6:21 PM
where did I read or hear that Detroit might let Brown leave with no compensation?

Nelson got run out of here- don't think he would come back

If Jackson comes and wants #10, he better be prepared to stay awhile. I could see him going somewhere like Denver or Houston

Don't think Flip is leaving- I think McHale knows the problem with the team is personel, not coaching.
Travla
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #723
USA
1/22/2005  8:30 PM
What about Kareem Abdul Jabaar? He's been trying to get a head coaching job, I think he deserves a chance and I think Isaih might give it to him. Phil Jackson will not come here until the talent level and team play is better. Larry Brown although a good coach, he does not like to play young players. Pat Ewing would be an ok choice but I don't think he's ready just yet. I wish Herb all the best, I hope he has a clue and I hope he's just not a puppet.

[Edited by - travla on 01/22/2005 20:32:38]
https://www.youtube.com/user/RPreston01/videos
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
1/22/2005  8:33 PM
What about Clyde? I guarantee if he's our coach we wont be playing "swiss cheese defense" ....No but seriously I would love to see him as our coach although he probably isnt interested in coaching or else he would have done it already.

[Edited by - NYK3 on 01/22/2005 20:34:05]
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
MaTT4281
USA
1/22/2005  8:52 PM
Posted by NYK3:

What about Clyde? I guarantee if he's our coach we wont be playing "swiss cheese defense" ....No but seriously I would love to see him as our coach although he probably isnt interested in coaching or else he would have done it already.

Clyde as our coach instead of an announcer? Atleast the team would be 'swishing and dishing' and 'wheeling and dealing'.
matt
Member: #487
USA
1/22/2005  10:00 PM
Posted by NYK3:

That's an interesting idea; he's always saying what players should have done when they made a mistake so I wouldn't mid it happening.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/23/2005  12:11 AM
choice #1 Nate McCmillan
choice #2 Avery Johnson

why
because both are young and wont command huge premiums to coach, but you are not giving up any value to keep the costs down

Nate M has proven a lot, he's young, no health problems, and he has no contract pass this year. he has shown a greta deal of savvy and motivation with seattle--my number 1 pick

Avery--I have watched what he has done with his rotation since Nelson went down and it looks great. hes a smart natural born leader who is a big time winner who will command respect and knows every facet of the game

I think either guy could be had for 4 years 2.5-3mm
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/23/2005  12:20 AM

PHil would be nice. Larry too.

Patrick, no way! At least not for any reasons him being what he was. If he has changed, then great.

Riles, won't happen. Nelson, Huh? Flip? Dude needs a year off. He should bump upstairs with wolves. They still like him.

malone? the fat guy? Dudes a snitch.
MaTT4281
USA
1/23/2005  7:08 PM
Larry Brown was asked about the possibility of coaching in NY. He basically beat around the bush, but nothing sounded like it would happen.
Brown to N.Y.?
During a news conference in New York with Knicks President Isiah Thomas, reporters asked repeatedly if Brown might be a candidate to coach the Knicks next season.

Thomas was diplomatic, saying he wouldn't comment on a coach employed by another team. And Brown does have three more years left on his five-year, $30 million contract with the Pistons.

Brown shrugged off the speculation. He did make it clear, though, that he may not finish out his contract.

"I don't know how much longer I really want to coach, to be honest," he said. "I just want to enjoy this. This has been a wonderful ride for me with this franchise.

"You know, I love Isiah and I have a lot of respect for Lenny Wilkens (who resigned Friday). I feel bad about that. But Joe Dumars and Mr. (Bill) Davidson have been terrific and this has been a terrific experience for me."
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0501/23/D05-67532.htm
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/23/2005  7:24 PM
i dont want larry brown. i want phil jackson. isiah said of course he would welcome him as coach in the papers today.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/23/2005  8:33 PM
u need a coach that has Stephon's respect...Larry Brown will work well because they have a previous working relationship & mutual respect for one another...if a young coach comes in that Marbury has no respect for, then you can forget about it...he's going to be the same ol'steph & nothing will change.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
1/23/2005  8:42 PM
If phil Jackson isn't coaching the Knicks next year, there should be a boycott of all Knickerbocker games.

if Phil j. wants to coach the Knicks, how can you not give him the job.

I agree with whoever said the Knicks should try and get Nate Mcmillan, that may be the best thing i have heard on this board since i started posting

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/23/2005  8:43 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

choice #1 Nate McCmillan
choice #2 Avery Johnson

why
because both are young and wont command huge premiums to coach, but you are not giving up any value to keep the costs down

Nate M has proven a lot, he's young, no health problems, and he has no contract pass this year. he has shown a greta deal of savvy and motivation with seattle--my number 1 pick

Avery--I have watched what he has done with his rotation since Nelson went down and it looks great. hes a smart natural born leader who is a big time winner who will command respect and knows every facet of the game

i have no problem with neither but this will still not stop fans from complaining about the coach after every loss.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/23/2005  8:48 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by BRIGGS:

choice #1 Nate McCmillan
choice #2 Avery Johnson

why

i have no problem with neither but this will still not stop fans from complaining about the coach after every loss.

only if neither Phil or Larry want to come to new york then I'll settle for those 2
next year's coaching possibilities

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy