Ming Update
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/7/2002  12:42 PM
From bskball.com...

(hey didn't I use the phrase "Ming Me" about a month ago?)

03/07-MING ME - Upon returning from scouting in China, Knicks GM Scott Layden sang nothing but praises for the 7'5 Chinese sensation Yao Ming, and told media that officials that he met with assured him Yao would be made available to the NBA this year. There is an NBA rule which permits a team to draft a players rights, even if he does not declare himself interested in the NBA, so even if China or Yao were to decline interest in playing in the NBA this year, based on his year of birth (1980), a team can draft his rights, as Yao is no longer considered under the early entry rules, which require a player to "declare" for the draft. So these statements about being made available, aren't really significant because they could draft him anyway. The big wrinkle is where do NBA scouts place him? Media has him hyped as the top overall candidate running neck and neck with Duke's Jason Williams, but the problems that are going to arise in this process are going to likely change where Yao ACTUALLY ends up. Anyone who has followed Yao's story knows that the dealings with China regarding Yao have not been and are not going to be typical. For the past 2 years several agents have been working to get Yao into the NBA, and its come out for China to "allow" Yao into the NBA, there will be some stipulations, and that's where the Knicks come into play. Its commonly believed that China will only "permit" Yao to play in a major market on a winning, or soon to be winning team. Its been said China wants certain TV rights in China for games featuring Yao, and that there was talk of the team that draft Yao would have to agree to exhibition games in China, and likely other compensations. There was talk that China last year had mentioned a "replacement" player, meaning the NBA team that drafts him would have to send a comparable "replacement" player to China. Now, US players have been playing in China for some time, but its unclear how an NBA team could under the current collective bargaining agreement "send" a player to China, and if its the Knicks... Would Marcus Camby actually go?... just kidding... The Knicks become a reasonable target not only because of their enormous market size, but they own "in-house" the TV rights to make a deal with China, and clearly the appeal of the Knicks as an exhibition team in China, would be matched only by the Lakers. The Knicks clearly have the financial resources to make a deal for Yao work both on and off the court, and right now, he may be worth the risk. So while the media tells you Yao will go #2, don't be surprised if a trade up deal is not reached, or that Yao "mysteriously" slides to wherever the Knicks draft... but if you listen to the fans, they think the draft lottery will be rigged in favor of the Knicks anyway, so what's the point in talking about the facts...right?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
3/7/2002  2:08 PM
Posted by martin:

From bskball.com...

(hey didn't I use the phrase "Ming Me" about a month ago?)

03/07-MING ME - Upon returning from scouting in China, Knicks GM Scott Layden sang nothing but praises for the 7'5 Chinese sensation Yao Ming, and told media that officials that he met with assured him Yao would be made available to the NBA this year. There is an NBA rule which permits a team to draft a players rights, even if he does not declare himself interested in the NBA, so even if China or Yao were to decline interest in playing in the NBA this year, based on his year of birth (1980), a team can draft his rights, as Yao is no longer considered under the early entry rules, which require a player to "declare" for the draft. So these statements about being made available, aren't really significant because they could draft him anyway. The big wrinkle is where do NBA scouts place him? Media has him hyped as the top overall candidate running neck and neck with Duke's Jason Williams, but the problems that are going to arise in this process are going to likely change where Yao ACTUALLY ends up. Anyone who has followed Yao's story knows that the dealings with China regarding Yao have not been and are not going to be typical. For the past 2 years several agents have been working to get Yao into the NBA, and its come out for China to "allow" Yao into the NBA, there will be some stipulations, and that's where the Knicks come into play. Its commonly believed that China will only "permit" Yao to play in a major market on a winning, or soon to be winning team. Its been said China wants certain TV rights in China for games featuring Yao, and that there was talk of the team that draft Yao would have to agree to exhibition games in China, and likely other compensations. There was talk that China last year had mentioned a "replacement" player, meaning the NBA team that drafts him would have to send a comparable "replacement" player to China. Now, US players have been playing in China for some time, but its unclear how an NBA team could under the current collective bargaining agreement "send" a player to China, and if its the Knicks... Would Marcus Camby actually go?... just kidding... The Knicks become a reasonable target not only because of their enormous market size, but they own "in-house" the TV rights to make a deal with China, and clearly the appeal of the Knicks as an exhibition team in China, would be matched only by the Lakers. The Knicks clearly have the financial resources to make a deal for Yao work both on and off the court, and right now, he may be worth the risk. So while the media tells you Yao will go #2, don't be surprised if a trade up deal is not reached, or that Yao "mysteriously" slides to wherever the Knicks draft... but if you listen to the fans, they think the draft lottery will be rigged in favor of the Knicks anyway, so what's the point in talking about the facts...right?
lotto is rigged. but the knicks will NOT get the top pick this year. NEXT year the knicks will get the top pick, when Lebron James comes out.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
3/7/2002  2:32 PM
Man I sure hope so, the top three picks are damn hot young unquestionable franchise players..

Lebron James 6-7 SG Akron OH HSJr.

Kendrick Perkins 6-11 C Ozen HSJr.

Nickoloz Tskitishvili 6-11 PF (Georgia) 1983

or even

James White 6-6 172 SF Florida Fr.

each and every one a franchise player to build around without any asterisk to put aside it. I hope we get a 4-9 pick this year and a 1-4 pick next year.

Caseloads
3/7/2002  3:26 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Man I sure hope so, the top three picks are damn hot young unquestionable franchise players..

Lebron James 6-7 SG Akron OH HSJr.

Kendrick Perkins 6-11 C Ozen HSJr.

Nickoloz Tskitishvili 6-11 PF (Georgia) 1983

or even

James White 6-6 172 SF Florida Fr.

each and every one a franchise player to build around without any asterisk to put aside it. I hope we get a 4-9 pick this year and a 1-4 pick next year.

I heard James White is NOT the real thing...
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/7/2002  3:28 PM
Forget about the 2003 draft we need to focus on this year's and make sure we're not in the lotto in 2003. Based on this report, we have a better chance at Yao Ming than the numbers read, considering he should go either 1st or 2nd in the draft. Bskball.com said don't be surprised if he misteriously drops to where the Knicks pick, which is obviously good for us. I still like him best and though we probably won't get Gooden either my top choice besides those two is clearly Chris Wilcox.
Caseloads
3/7/2002  5:27 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Forget about the 2003 draft we need to focus on this year's and make sure we're not in the lotto in 2003. Based on this report, we have a better chance at Yao Ming than the numbers read, considering he should go either 1st or 2nd in the draft. Bskball.com said don't be surprised if he misteriously drops to where the Knicks pick, which is obviously good for us. I still like him best and though we probably won't get Gooden either my top choice besides those two is clearly Chris Wilcox.
Yeah, i like Wilcox too. Then Marcus. Not Haislip, he's too thin, i don't care if he BP's 400 lbs.
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
3/7/2002  6:23 PM
IF the knicks get Ming I will light myself on fire. They should stop talking about this bum and start talking about trading spree for a top pick(bulls). and then get j-will and eihter woods or gooden
NO MORE MING TALK
THAT GUY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
3/7/2002  6:34 PM
Posted by Starks3:

IF the knicks get Ming I will light myself on fire. They should stop talking about this bum and start talking about trading spree for a top pick(bulls). and then get j-will and eihter woods or gooden
NO MORE MING TALK
THAT GUY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What makes you assume that Yao Ming sucks? He's big, can shoot, can post up, passes well, runs the floor well, and will be the most complete center(but probably not the best) the league has ever seen. WHats not to like about him? He has all the potential in the world.
KennySkyWalker007
Member: #224
3/7/2002  6:41 PM
Hey starks3, Don't you know that Ming is the best player around? I, Kenny "Sky" Walker that is, have personally trained him myself. I have helped him to perfect my patented 360 dunk, my 360 pass, and my 360 shot. Actually now that I thikn about it, Screw Ming! Right here, right now, let's start the "Bring Back Sky" petition. I'll play for just enough money to support my encyclopedia selling business, so I won't hurt the cap. C'mon!!!!! Write in your support today!
Pete Meyers Sucks!
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
3/7/2002  10:45 PM
I miss the days when we had Ewing, Mason, Oakley, and the X-Factor!!!
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
3/7/2002  11:52 PM
What makes you assume that Yao Ming sucks? He's big, can shoot, can post up, passes well, runs the floor well, and will be the most complete center(but probably not the best) the league has ever seen. WHats not to like about him? He has all the potential in the world.
Have u seen him play????
I know that anybody that plays a bunch of 5 footers in China should dominate. We are talking about the NBA here. They are the higest level athletes. I know i have one opinon and u have one which is cool but i just want to ask why are u so high on this guy?????
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ming Update

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy